Bar chart fill color selection from reference to cell data

Is there a way to create a bar chart and have the colors
be selected from data adjacent to the plotted data?  Or
is there a macro that can select cells which can change
the color of the fill/texture?
0
darrylr (1)

Darryl -

You can set up formulas that split your data into columns based on the
value in a reference column, then plot different series, each formatted
to differentiate them from each other.  I have a couple of conditional
charting examples linked to this page:

  http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/format.html

My examples use the values as the reference that splits the data into
series, but you could use any other parameter to do this.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Darryl wrote:
> Is there a way to create a bar chart and have the colors
> be selected from data adjacent to the plotted data?  Or
> is there a macro that can select cells which can change
> the color of the fill/texture?

0
jonpeltier (303)

data range
Hi I have a problem with external data. In the Data Range Properties, under Data Layout. There are 3 options after 'If the number of rows in the data range changes upon refresh:' 1 - Insert cells for new data, delete unused cells 2 - Insert entire rows for new data, clear unused cells 3 - Overwrite existing cells with new data, clear unused cells. I want option 3 to be the default oprion but it always defaults back to option 2. Is there any way I can change this.?? Cheers Baz ...

Change bars color
Hello, I have a dinamic chart to show the cash flow position, a scrool bar chagne the data to the past and to the future (estimate), what I am looking for is, to have an easy identification of the estimated period I would like to chage the color of the bar. I am using an Stacked Column chart with two variables. any Ideias? -- regards from Brazil Thanks in advance for your feedback. Marcelo What I usually do when I want to show a column chart with one color within a certain range and another color elsewhere, is create two series, one each color, and use formulas to change on series ...

Can the color of the Command Bar be changed?
When you open up a window to show the contents of a folder, just below the usual Menu Bar is the Command Bar with menus like "Organize" and "Views." That Command Bar has a sickly blue-green color. Is there any way to change the color of the Command Bar? At the very least, I would like that color to be less saturated. -- Steven L. ...

Conditional formatting / blank cells
Hello, I need help with a Conditional Format. This is my worksheet. Row 4 A B C D E F G H I $200 $210 I want a conditional format in G4 that states if G4 is greater than or equal to F4 the fill colour is green. If G4 is less than F4, the fill colour is red. If G4 is blank, the fill colour is white. I've tried numerous combinations, but cannot seem to get this to work. Thanks torkattack. Test for the blank first. -- David Biddulph "torkattack" <torkattack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Chart Help Please!
Hello all, I have a very simple chart... The data looks like this: A B Data1 3.65 Data2 7.00 The data charts fine and looks good but right now the bar for Data1 and Data2 are the same color. is there a way to have the bar for data1 one color while data2 is a different color? Thank you all for you excellent help!! In 2003 Select the series and Format Data Series>Options>Vary colors by point. In 2007 Select the series and Format>Date Series>Fill>Vary colors by point. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:32:02 -080...

Help from Cal L. on reconnecting Money 2005 to data files?
I had a problem with Money 2005 which was fixed and has reoccurred. Both times were due to system crashes requiring reinstallation of Money 2005 while the data files were preserved. Cal Learner was able to solve the problem the last time this happened around late March this year. I cannot find the record of that discussion in the Money discussion strings. Having reloaded Money 2005, it gives me a screen saying: "Money will convert your file so you can work with it in Money 2005." When it attempts to do so, it gives an error message: "Money cannot locate 'C:\Document...

Muliple Charts from one Pivot Table #3
Debs. Many thanks . That worked a treat. Just need to to the pivot item o the chart now. Cheers Ton -- TJonesEs ----------------------------------------------------------------------- TJonesEsq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1532 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26951 ...

Color coding the excel sheets
I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs. I know that you can individually color code each one by right-clicking. Is there a way to have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red, sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)? She wants this to launch this way every time. Thanks. Shane Certainly a workbook_open event could do this but why not just set a template with the sheets colored as desired>save it>use it.. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE5570A2-016...

How do I apply a new color scheme to a document in publisher?
I want to change the color scheme of a business card I have already created. Seems like an easy thing just to call up the various color schemes and click on a new one but . . . nothing happens. How do I make this seemingly easy change? Which version of Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "mmccon" <mmccon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CD8B62A-A98B-496F-B4F3-8A840613EB8D@microsoft.com... >I want to change the color scheme of a business card I have already >cr...

DATE sort bar has disappeared from SENT box
I've inexplicably lost my DATE sort bar in my SENT box. Outlook 2002, XP Pro. I've dug here and scratched there, but cannot uncover an answer as to why it's missing and how to get it back. Hit the OfficeUpdate.com website to engage in Office XP SP 1 and/or 2...I'm current, but alas, still no DATE sort bar in the SENT folder. One little bar--so valuable--so easily mis-placed! Thanks for any advice-- Timmo in AK Try right-clicking in the gray title bar, then select to customize your current view. Click on the "Fields" button to see the list of available fi...

To many different cell formats #2
How do I resolve error message, "To many different cell formats"? ...

Resize a Pivot table Pie Chart
You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Elsa wrote: > You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do > you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Hi Elsa, Pivot Charts are handy, but quite limit your ability to format. I get around this by adding a worksheet that references values from the pivot table, and base the chart on the latter. ...

Chart date order
This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a payee (double click on a payee from the payee list), the chart sorts from left to right, with the most recent on the right, as it always has. But if now display a chart for a catagory, the chart now sorts from right to left, with the most recent on the left. That had me confused for some time before I noticed the date order change. Was it like that in 2006 or is that new for 2007? I don't see the sense in that. Bruce. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Chastain wrote: >This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a paye...

100% Stacked Bar chart, two bars, want percent as well as real value
I am attempting to chart the following: Series 1 - Values over the prior 30 days Series 2 - Values over the prior 12 months I would like to show both data series as 100% bar charts, so users of the information can compare percentage of the last 30 days with percentage of the same piece of data over the last 12 months. So, for example the two data series might look like this: Series 1 20 25 45 65 Series 2 211 324 403 822 I want to display both the actual value, and the percentage of the total, for each series, in the labels. For some reason, showing percentage is not an option. Why is th...

EMail fonts, sizes and color
When I change my font type, size & color I can only click OK (tool-options). Once I close Outlook it returns to the default font type, etc. How can I change my default? CD <CD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I change my font type, size & color I can only click OK > (tool-options). Once I close Outlook it returns to the default font > type, etc. How can I change my default? What version of Outlook, what message format, what Outlook editor, and in twhat window are you trying to make these changes? You're a little short on detail. -- Brian Tillman [...

In Excel, comments cover the data line. Can it be moved?
It would be helpful if the comment didn't block the data line either vertical and horizonal. It can be done with the edit comment command. How can the popup feature be modified? ...

a frame window with its title bar on the top of its menu bar (overlapped) ...
Hi, This is related to a previous post of mine, for which I got a lot of help from people but the problem was still not resolved. I am reducing the problem to the following piece of code with only one class (CFrameWnd) involved. Please bear with me to look into the problem one more time. HINSTANCE h = AfxGetResourceHandle(); AfxSetResourceHandle(::GetModuleHandle(_T("current.dll"))); CFrameWnd *pFrm = (CFrameWnd*)RUNTIME_CLASS(CFrameWnd)->CreateObject(); pFrm->LoadFrame(IDR_MAINFRAME, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | FWS_ADDTOTITLE); pFrm->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); AfxSetResourceHand...

copying multiple cells
When I try to copy multiple cells that are not in sequence I highlight the first cell then I use the Ctrl key to highlight the second and after I have highlighted several cells it wants to jump off the first cell and only highlight the last cell. Can someone tell me why? -- Jim Sounds like a light or greasy finger on the CTRL key<g> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:14:27 -0600, "Big Jim" <jims01no@yahoo.com> wrote: >When I try to copy multiple cells that are not in sequence I highlight the >first cell then I use the Ctrl key to highlig...

Moving free/busy data
I am running Exhange 2000 and added a new server about a year ago. Now I am trying to remove the original Exchange server from the domain and every time I shut it down my users get the "unable to update free/busy data" message. I need to move this data from the old server to the new one. How can I do that???? On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 05:56:01 -0800, Mbach <Mbach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exhange 2000 and added a new server about a year ago. Now I am >trying to remove the original Exchange server from the domain and every time >I shut it down my ...

looking for a yearly flow chart for amount spending for advertisi.
Hi you may provide some more detail :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "maggie" <maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4938F975-E269-41A4-B8FB-F23A5B9FB623@microsoft.com... > ...

building chart from multiple sheets
I have 5 sheets and would like to build a stacked bar graph using data from each. Say I have 4 values in A1, A2, A3 & A4 on each of these sheets. Each stacked bar is to respresent the 4 values from a single sheet. Is there any way to do this with out having to build a table on an extra page? Thanks, Brad K If I understand your data structure, you will need to use a range to consolidate the data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

how do I create an orgnaizational chart with 5 boxes at the top?
I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. Any ideas? PowerPoint 2007 What do you want beneath the 5 boxes? This is relatively easy to set up. "Jammie Dodger" wrote: > I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes > at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let > me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. > >...

X error bar
Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? Office 2000. Thank you Hi Daniel, In order to have x error bars you need to use the xy scatter chart. Cheers Andy Daniel wrote: > Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I > fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? > > Office 2000. > > Thank you > > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

How do you add error bars?
when i select my data series on my table, no selected data series appears under format Instead of selecting the series on the table (whatever that means), try selecting the data series in the chart. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <08ef01c3a991$89241060$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > when i select my data series on my table, no selected > data series appears under format > ...

Dynamic Chart #7
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that has its data in the following format: 2003 2004 2005 2006 Company 1 1.5 1.63 2.1 Company 2 .75 .89 1.09 How can I create a dynamic chart so that when I input the data for 2006 (and forward) the chart will automatically update. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. Dave Y Dave: I'll walk your through setting up a dynamic chart, however, I'd liek to suggest you rearrange your data table as follows: Year Company 1 Company2 20...