Automatically format charts with range of dates

What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
a chart compared to say last year.

What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
reflect the new option.

Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
have no idea how to use them

0
Moor (1)
5/16/2008 10:06:03 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

13 Replies
809 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

Hi,

If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. You 
just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.

Cheers
Andy

Sean Moor wrote:
> What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
> another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
> a chart compared to say last year.
> 
> What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
> a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
> the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
> changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
> just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
> reflect the new option.
> 
> Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
> have no idea how to use them
> 

-- 

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
5/17/2008 10:06:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set of 
dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will now 
display the new data without having to change the links inside the chart?..

And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use entry 
cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart to 
change via the dates I set?

Thanks

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. You 
> just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
> Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
> 
> Cheers
> Andy
> 
> Sean Moor wrote:
> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
> > a chart compared to say last year.
> > 
> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
> > reflect the new option.
> > 
> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
> > have no idea how to use them
> > 
> 
> -- 
> 
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
5/19/2008 11:33:01 PM
and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe if 
you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if you 
have one

thanks

"Sean Moor" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set of 
> dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will now 
> display the new data without having to change the links inside the chart?..
> 
> And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use entry 
> cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart to 
> change via the dates I set?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. You 
> > just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
> > Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
> > 
> > Cheers
> > Andy
> > 
> > Sean Moor wrote:
> > > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
> > > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
> > > a chart compared to say last year.
> > > 
> > > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
> > > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
> > > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
> > > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
> > > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
> > > reflect the new option.
> > > 
> > > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
> > > have no idea how to use them
> > > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > 
> > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > http://www.andypope.info
> > 
0
SeanMoor (19)
5/20/2008 1:27:10 AM
Details of the filtering process can be found on Debra's site
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

As long as your chart is based on the filtered data then the act of hiding 
rows will remove that data from the chart.

Cheers
Andy

-- 

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:43C460EA-B5A2-412B-B652-2F576EAB010F@microsoft.com...
> and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe 
> if
> you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if 
> you
> have one
>
> thanks
>
> "Sean Moor" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set 
>> of
>> dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will 
>> now
>> display the new data without having to change the links inside the 
>> chart?..
>>
>> And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use 
>> entry
>> cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart 
>> to
>> change via the dates I set?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. 
>> > You
>> > just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
>> > Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Andy
>> >
>> > Sean Moor wrote:
>> > > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
>> > > from
>> > > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
>> > > and make
>> > > a chart compared to say last year.
>> > >
>> > > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
>> > > enter in
>> > > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
>> > > filter
>> > > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
>> > > data and
>> > > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
>> > > able to
>> > > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
>> > > data to
>> > > reflect the new option.
>> > >
>> > > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
>> > > but I
>> > > have no idea how to use them
>> > >
>> >
>> > -- 
>> >
>> > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> > http://www.andypope.info
>> > 

0
andy9699 (3616)
5/20/2008 9:02:35 AM
Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately since I dont have alot of Macro/VB 
experience I am still not able to get through what I am trying to do.  I just 
can't figure out how to be able to have a chart existing and just be able to 
enter in a set of dates and have the chart filter those dates and find the 
data and boom its there instead of alays having to go in the chart and change 
where the series is from the old dates to the new ones.  I know quite a bti 
about excel but this is far beyond my knowledge.  If there is an easier or 
more thorough way you know how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.  I 
have all my data one one spreadsheet and then my charts on another and have 4 
charts I make and each chart has 3 different pieces of data. Eg One chart has 
my company's cash sales/charge sales/total sales and another is our contracts 
open/closed etc..

Thanks

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Details of the filtering process can be found on Debra's site
> http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
> 
> As long as your chart is based on the filtered data then the act of hiding 
> rows will remove that data from the chart.
> 
> Cheers
> Andy
> 
> -- 
> 
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:43C460EA-B5A2-412B-B652-2F576EAB010F@microsoft.com...
> > and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe 
> > if
> > you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if 
> > you
> > have one
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > "Sean Moor" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set 
> >> of
> >> dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will 
> >> now
> >> display the new data without having to change the links inside the 
> >> chart?..
> >>
> >> And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use 
> >> entry
> >> cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart 
> >> to
> >> change via the dates I set?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. 
> >> > You
> >> > just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
> >> > Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
> >> >
> >> > Cheers
> >> > Andy
> >> >
> >> > Sean Moor wrote:
> >> > > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
> >> > > from
> >> > > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
> >> > > and make
> >> > > a chart compared to say last year.
> >> > >
> >> > > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
> >> > > enter in
> >> > > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
> >> > > filter
> >> > > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
> >> > > data and
> >> > > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
> >> > > able to
> >> > > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
> >> > > data to
> >> > > reflect the new option.
> >> > >
> >> > > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
> >> > > but I
> >> > > have no idea how to use them
> >> > >
> >> >
> >> > -- 
> >> >
> >> > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> > http://www.andypope.info
> >> > 
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
5/21/2008 3:47:02 PM
And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or no?.. If 
so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
"Sean Moor" wrote:

> What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
> another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
> a chart compared to say last year.
> 
> What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
> a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
> the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
> changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
> just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
> reflect the new option.
> 
> Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
> have no idea how to use them
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
5/21/2008 3:51:00 PM
Hi Sean,

The filtering would be a manual event.
If you want to email direct an example file I will have a look.

andy @ andypope DOT info

Let me know which version of XL you are using.

Cheers
Andy

Sean Moor wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately since I dont have alot of Macro/VB 
> experience I am still not able to get through what I am trying to do.  I just 
> can't figure out how to be able to have a chart existing and just be able to 
> enter in a set of dates and have the chart filter those dates and find the 
> data and boom its there instead of alays having to go in the chart and change 
> where the series is from the old dates to the new ones.  I know quite a bti 
> about excel but this is far beyond my knowledge.  If there is an easier or 
> more thorough way you know how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.  I 
> have all my data one one spreadsheet and then my charts on another and have 4 
> charts I make and each chart has 3 different pieces of data. Eg One chart has 
> my company's cash sales/charge sales/total sales and another is our contracts 
> open/closed etc..
> 
> Thanks
> 
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
> 
> 
>>Details of the filtering process can be found on Debra's site
>>http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
>>
>>As long as your chart is based on the filtered data then the act of hiding 
>>rows will remove that data from the chart.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andy
>>
>>-- 
>>
>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>http://www.andypope.info
>>"Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>news:43C460EA-B5A2-412B-B652-2F576EAB010F@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe 
>>>if
>>>you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if 
>>>you
>>>have one
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>"Sean Moor" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set 
>>>>of
>>>>dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will 
>>>>now
>>>>display the new data without having to change the links inside the 
>>>>chart?..
>>>>
>>>>And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use 
>>>>entry
>>>>cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart 
>>>>to
>>>>change via the dates I set?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks
>>>>
>>>>"Andy Pope" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. 
>>>>>You
>>>>>just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
>>>>>Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
>>>>>
>>>>>Cheers
>>>>>Andy
>>>>>
>>>>>Sean Moor wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
>>>>>>from
>>>>>>another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
>>>>>>and make
>>>>>>a chart compared to say last year.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
>>>>>>enter in
>>>>>>a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
>>>>>>filter
>>>>>>the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
>>>>>>data and
>>>>>>changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
>>>>>>able to
>>>>>>just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
>>>>>>data to
>>>>>>reflect the new option.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
>>>>>>but I
>>>>>>have no idea how to use them
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>-- 
>>>>>
>>>>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>>>>http://www.andypope.info
>>>>>
>>

-- 

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
5/21/2008 6:00:02 PM
Sure thing Andy I can do that tonight.  What is your email??

And I am using Excel 2003 V11.8120.8200 SP2

Thanks

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi Sean,
> 
> The filtering would be a manual event.
> If you want to email direct an example file I will have a look.
> 
> andy @ andypope DOT info
> 
> Let me know which version of XL you are using.
> 
> Cheers
> Andy
> 
> Sean Moor wrote:
> > Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately since I dont have alot of Macro/VB 
> > experience I am still not able to get through what I am trying to do.  I just 
> > can't figure out how to be able to have a chart existing and just be able to 
> > enter in a set of dates and have the chart filter those dates and find the 
> > data and boom its there instead of alays having to go in the chart and change 
> > where the series is from the old dates to the new ones.  I know quite a bti 
> > about excel but this is far beyond my knowledge.  If there is an easier or 
> > more thorough way you know how to accomplish this I would appreciate it.  I 
> > have all my data one one spreadsheet and then my charts on another and have 4 
> > charts I make and each chart has 3 different pieces of data. Eg One chart has 
> > my company's cash sales/charge sales/total sales and another is our contracts 
> > open/closed etc..
> > 
> > Thanks
> > 
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> > 
> > 
> >>Details of the filtering process can be found on Debra's site
> >>http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
> >>
> >>As long as your chart is based on the filtered data then the act of hiding 
> >>rows will remove that data from the chart.
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>Andy
> >>
> >>-- 
> >>
> >>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >>http://www.andypope.info
> >>"Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> >>news:43C460EA-B5A2-412B-B652-2F576EAB010F@microsoft.com...
> >>
> >>>and by the way if you do understand kind of what i am trying to do maybe 
> >>>if
> >>>you could give me step by step instructions on how to do so or a video if 
> >>>you
> >>>have one
> >>>
> >>>thanks
> >>>
> >>>"Sean Moor" wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>Thanks for the reply Andy but how would that allow me to enter in a set 
> >>>>of
> >>>>dates and have the chart automatically change the look of it and it will 
> >>>>now
> >>>>display the new data without having to change the links inside the 
> >>>>chart?..
> >>>>
> >>>>And one other thing where would I be able to enter almost like a use 
> >>>>entry
> >>>>cell that I can type in those dates and have it interact with the chart 
> >>>>to
> >>>>change via the dates I set?
> >>>>
> >>>>Thanks
> >>>>
> >>>>"Andy Pope" wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>If you filter the actual data the chart will reflect only that data. 
> >>>>>You
> >>>>>just need to check the setting Plot Visible Cells Only is checked.
> >>>>>Select chart and use Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Cheers
> >>>>>Andy
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Sean Moor wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
> >>>>>>from
> >>>>>>another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
> >>>>>>and make
> >>>>>>a chart compared to say last year.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
> >>>>>>enter in
> >>>>>>a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
> >>>>>>filter
> >>>>>>the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
> >>>>>>data and
> >>>>>>changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
> >>>>>>able to
> >>>>>>just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
> >>>>>>data to
> >>>>>>reflect the new option.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
> >>>>>>but I
> >>>>>>have no idea how to use them
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>-- 
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >>>>>http://www.andypope.info
> >>>>>
> >>
> 
> -- 
> 
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
5/21/2008 8:46:02 PM
Hi Andy,

Just wondering fi you happen to get my email and was able to possibly give 
me a little more information on what I am trying to do.  I have pretty much 
tried everything on links you have gave me but I must be missing something.

"Sean Moor" wrote:

> 
> And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or no?.. If 
> so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
> "Sean Moor" wrote:
> 
> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from 
> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business and make 
> > a chart compared to say last year.
> > 
> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in 
> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter 
> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart data and 
> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to 
> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to 
> > reflect the new option.
> > 
> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea but I 
> > have no idea how to use them
> > 
0
SeanMoor (19)
6/10/2008 5:01:01 PM
Hi,

I have sent you your revised example file, explaining how to use filtering, 
3 times now.
Does this not do what you want?

Cheers
Andy

-- 

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:803E1074-113F-496C-82A2-86E12FB0E6CB@microsoft.com...
> Hi Andy,
>
> Just wondering fi you happen to get my email and was able to possibly give
> me a little more information on what I am trying to do.  I have pretty 
> much
> tried everything on links you have gave me but I must be missing 
> something.
>
> "Sean Moor" wrote:
>
>>
>> And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or no?.. 
>> If
>> so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
>> "Sean Moor" wrote:
>>
>> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
>> > from
>> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
>> > and make
>> > a chart compared to say last year.
>> >
>> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
>> > enter in
>> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
>> > filter
>> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
>> > data and
>> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
>> > able to
>> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
>> > data to
>> > reflect the new option.
>> >
>> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
>> > but I
>> > have no idea how to use them
>> > 

0
andy9699 (3616)
6/11/2008 8:22:39 AM
Thanks for the reply.  I have sent you another emailing explaining everything 
I am trying to do.  I may have not explained throughouly want I wanted.  I 
was able to do it using Dynamic Name Ranges as per another MVP on here Jon 
showed me.  But it is only allowing me to chart one month as my months are 
separated by tabs but all on one spreadsheet so by doing it by Dynamic Name 
Range it won't work.

Filtering is a great idea yes btu according to the big bosses here they 
would rather have a spot where you can enter in a set of dates or have say a 
dropdown menu with dates you select (start/end range) instead of a greater 
than or equal to etc filter process.  But filter process I might have to go 
with until I figure something more out but with filtering if I set autofilter 
on all my months how could I have it carry over like on my say April tab I do 
greater than or equal to 28 but then want it to graph until May 4.  Bcause 
they are on different tabs that won't work then right?

Thanks Andy

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I have sent you your revised example file, explaining how to use filtering, 
> 3 times now.
> Does this not do what you want?
> 
> Cheers
> Andy
> 
> -- 
> 
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:803E1074-113F-496C-82A2-86E12FB0E6CB@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > Just wondering fi you happen to get my email and was able to possibly give
> > me a little more information on what I am trying to do.  I have pretty 
> > much
> > tried everything on links you have gave me but I must be missing 
> > something.
> >
> > "Sean Moor" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or no?.. 
> >> If
> >> so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
> >> "Sean Moor" wrote:
> >>
> >> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data 
> >> > from
> >> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business 
> >> > and make
> >> > a chart compared to say last year.
> >> >
> >> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can 
> >> > enter in
> >> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically 
> >> > filter
> >> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart 
> >> > data and
> >> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be 
> >> > able to
> >> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that 
> >> > data to
> >> > reflect the new option.
> >> >
> >> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea 
> >> > but I
> >> > have no idea how to use them
> >> > 
> 
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
6/16/2008 6:58:19 PM
Check you spam folder as I sent you a file on the 12th. Sent it again today.

Cheers
Andy

-- 

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:009E2253-C49C-4CD3-9FB9-E3085CA19E5A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply.  I have sent you another emailing explaining 
> everything
> I am trying to do.  I may have not explained throughouly want I wanted.  I
> was able to do it using Dynamic Name Ranges as per another MVP on here Jon
> showed me.  But it is only allowing me to chart one month as my months are
> separated by tabs but all on one spreadsheet so by doing it by Dynamic 
> Name
> Range it won't work.
>
> Filtering is a great idea yes btu according to the big bosses here they
> would rather have a spot where you can enter in a set of dates or have say 
> a
> dropdown menu with dates you select (start/end range) instead of a greater
> than or equal to etc filter process.  But filter process I might have to 
> go
> with until I figure something more out but with filtering if I set 
> autofilter
> on all my months how could I have it carry over like on my say April tab I 
> do
> greater than or equal to 28 but then want it to graph until May 4.  Bcause
> they are on different tabs that won't work then right?
>
> Thanks Andy
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have sent you your revised example file, explaining how to use 
>> filtering,
>> 3 times now.
>> Does this not do what you want?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> -- 
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:803E1074-113F-496C-82A2-86E12FB0E6CB@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Andy,
>> >
>> > Just wondering fi you happen to get my email and was able to possibly 
>> > give
>> > me a little more information on what I am trying to do.  I have pretty
>> > much
>> > tried everything on links you have gave me but I must be missing
>> > something.
>> >
>> > "Sean Moor" wrote:
>> >
>> >>
>> >> And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or 
>> >> no?..
>> >> If
>> >> so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
>> >> "Sean Moor" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data
>> >> > from
>> >> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business
>> >> > and make
>> >> > a chart compared to say last year.
>> >> >
>> >> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can
>> >> > enter in
>> >> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts 
>> >> > automatically
>> >> > filter
>> >> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart
>> >> > data and
>> >> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be
>> >> > able to
>> >> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that
>> >> > data to
>> >> > reflect the new option.
>> >> >
>> >> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea
>> >> > but I
>> >> > have no idea how to use them
>> >> >
>>
>> 

0
andy9699 (3616)
6/17/2008 7:50:03 AM
I will when I get back to work Andy today.. just incase though can you send 
it to my hotmail address too.. moor_sean@hotmail.com

thanks again for all your amazing effort

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Check you spam folder as I sent you a file on the 12th. Sent it again today.
> 
> Cheers
> Andy
> 
> -- 
> 
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:009E2253-C49C-4CD3-9FB9-E3085CA19E5A@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the reply.  I have sent you another emailing explaining 
> > everything
> > I am trying to do.  I may have not explained throughouly want I wanted.  I
> > was able to do it using Dynamic Name Ranges as per another MVP on here Jon
> > showed me.  But it is only allowing me to chart one month as my months are
> > separated by tabs but all on one spreadsheet so by doing it by Dynamic 
> > Name
> > Range it won't work.
> >
> > Filtering is a great idea yes btu according to the big bosses here they
> > would rather have a spot where you can enter in a set of dates or have say 
> > a
> > dropdown menu with dates you select (start/end range) instead of a greater
> > than or equal to etc filter process.  But filter process I might have to 
> > go
> > with until I figure something more out but with filtering if I set 
> > autofilter
> > on all my months how could I have it carry over like on my say April tab I 
> > do
> > greater than or equal to 28 but then want it to graph until May 4.  Bcause
> > they are on different tabs that won't work then right?
> >
> > Thanks Andy
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have sent you your revised example file, explaining how to use 
> >> filtering,
> >> 3 times now.
> >> Does this not do what you want?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> -- 
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Sean Moor" <SeanMoor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:803E1074-113F-496C-82A2-86E12FB0E6CB@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hi Andy,
> >> >
> >> > Just wondering fi you happen to get my email and was able to possibly 
> >> > give
> >> > me a little more information on what I am trying to do.  I have pretty
> >> > much
> >> > tried everything on links you have gave me but I must be missing
> >> > something.
> >> >
> >> > "Sean Moor" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> And BTW would it be easier to be creating a macro for this setup or 
> >> >> no?..
> >> >> If
> >> >> so whats the best place I can go to to find out an easy macro setup?
> >> >> "Sean Moor" wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> > What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data
> >> >> > from
> >> >> > another spreadsheet.  They are basically week totals for my business
> >> >> > and make
> >> >> > a chart compared to say last year.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can
> >> >> > enter in
> >> >> > a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts 
> >> >> > automatically
> >> >> > filter
> >> >> > the new data in and change.  Instead of having to go into the chart
> >> >> > data and
> >> >> > changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be
> >> >> > able to
> >> >> > just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that
> >> >> > data to
> >> >> > reflect the new option.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Any suggestinos would be appreciated.  I heard macros is a good idea
> >> >> > but I
> >> >> > have no idea how to use them
> >> >> >
> >>
> >> 
> 
0
SeanMoor (19)
6/17/2008 1:24:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Inserting a date field
How can I insert a date field into an excel cell. I can do it in Word quite easily but for some reason Excel presents more a a challange. R2D2, =TODAY() will give you today's date, is that what you need? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "R2D2" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1HpHg.16195$Ch.11155@clgrps13... > How can I insert a date field into an excel cell. I can do it in Word qu...

Conditional formatting in text boxes
I have textboxes on a userform. The text boxes read (and write) to cells A1:A60 Adjacent to these cells I have a comments column which is filled in for particular rows Depending on whether the adjacent cell in column B has an entry, is there a way to make the textboxes change their font attributes? For example, become BOLD when there is a comment. Can anyone help? You should have posted your code..Within your loop add a line something like the below.. Dim intCount as Integer For intCount = 1 To 60 Me.Controls("Textbox" & intCount).Font.Bold = _ No...

A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf.
I tried posting this in microsoft.public.outlook.general, but no nibbles. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Does anybody know how to turn the "A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf." prompte off? It pops when one of my MS Access apps is emailing one of it's reports to somebody. It happens on the Citrix server that one of my MS Apps is running on, but it does not happen when the app is running on my own PC. Consequently I'm hoping for some user-configurable setting that controls...

Format Cells #9
Is there any way to prevent text from extending into adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) Hi use 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'word wrap' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KPK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130ec01c4434e$26cd8610$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to prevent text from extending into > adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) We actually do not want the text to wrap, we just want it to truncate. Thanks, Kieran >-----Original Message----- >Hi >use &#...

Comment formatting
How do I set the default format for comments? See this page for all info about comments http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html Maybe ? http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "TonyL" <TonyL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2F9F095-CF0F-4A03-83CE-B01F934E4826@microsoft.com... > How do I set the default format for comments? Thanks Ron that was easy!!! "Ron de Bruin" wrote: > See this page for all info about comments > http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html &...

Automatic CC
Hello, Is there any way to create a template where a contact is automatically CC in the email. So I dont forget to cc them every time I send an email. Thanks ...

Money 2006 constantly faults with automatic updates
Whenever I use the Internet automatic updates, money faults out and wants to send a report to Microsoft. Also my account list shows most accounts with a status of 'Update In Progress' I've done a complete reinstall after removing it and power cycling my machine. I thought it may have been something with removing 2004 and installing 2006, but got same problem Has anyone else been having this problem? I really just want to go back to Money 2004. What's the error message? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq f...

Automatic axis format
Hi, I'm need to make a automatic axis format within excel. The number of rows is depending of a imported file. No problem to get the max. number of rows. But to put this number into the chart ( category axis) is more problematic. I try VB but my knowledge is at dummy level ! Waiting for your reply............. Hi, Have a look at Jon's examples of dynamic charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html Cheers Andy jos wrote: > Hi, > I'm need to make a automatic axis format within excel. > The number of rows is depending of a imported file. > No problem to g...

Column format to override row fomat in FrX
In FrX the row format overrides the column format for font styles eg. bold etc. it would be useful if it was possible to have the option for the column format to override the row fomat ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...

Automatic updates, automatically disabling itself
Automatic updates, automatically disabling itself. 2nd day now onecare popped up to tell me the updates turned themselves = off. I'm thinking what malware would want to turn the updates off ? Any idea what's going on here ? Did I AUTOMATICALLY install an update = that caused this ? <keepout@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:8l7mi5tkgp1gd15fkef71ll5mrui9ukmht@4ax.com... > Automatic updates, automatically disabling itself. > > 2nd day now onecare popped up to tell me the updates turned themselves > off. Drop OneCare and install Microsoft Sec...

Conditional Formatting #43
Looks easy doesn't it? Hah! Any instructions as to how I can do the following: Column M cells are already formatted to show the date as (in the cas of M2 for example) =A2+28 (so, 28 days after the date that is entere into A2). I want the date that is calculated & shown in M2 to turn re 7 days before that date. If the date in A2 is 01/06/04 then M2 wil read 29/06/04 but I want it to turn red on 22/06/04 (I use dd/mm/yy a I'm in Europe) and then I want it to turn bold red two days before th date - in this example 27/06/04. I also need a similar effect to make the date generated in co...

Mail format problems Exchange 2003
I am running OL2002 on Win XP Pro on both a desktop and laptop in a large network. The network was recently converted from NT Server to Exchange Server 2003. At that time, all of my mail began being converted from plain text to html. This appears to be only on both machines accessing my account, not on other accounts in the network. If I send a message in plain text mode, it is received by others as plain text, but converted to html in my Sent folder. Plain text sent to me is converted to html upon receipt. Since this happens on both machines, I think it is something to do with the serve...

I open the MDB, the form runs automatically
Simple question I have an MDB file with 20 files and 7 forms in it. When I open it up, the form runs immediately an access goes into some sort of protected mode. I can't view the tables, queries etc. I can see the code by pressing Alt F11 but not the data. I created a blank db and imported the mdb so I could see the tables. But how do I open the original without it running the code? When I look at the code. I don't see anything that sets properties or invokes the code automatically. There are no macros in this, just the forms and associated code with them. Any ideas Thanks Colm ...

Find cell contents in range
Hi, i am really struggling to create a macro to carry out the following. ( i am quite new to this and presently using a book but things are explained fully!) lets say cell K12 = 2245 i have a range of A2:A50 containing a list between 2220 & 2270 i need my macro to look at the value of K12. Find that value in range, and make the cell with that value active so in my list between 2220 & 2270 is an activecell where the value is 2245 i hope this can be done and hope that someone can help me. Regards, Nigel With Worksheets(1).Range("A2:A50") Set cell = .Find(Range(&quo...

problem with column charts and two Y axes in Excel 2003
I've used previous versions of Excel for column charts a fair bit, and it seems like something doesn't work in Excel 2003. I want to display two data series next to one another in a column chart, and each data series needs its own Y axis (they are on different scales). I can get the two series next to each other if they are both plotted against the same Y axis, but if I choose Format Data Series -> Axis -> Secondary Axis for the second data series, the two columns are on top of each other. I can't figure out how to change this, and I don't recall ever having this probl...

newbie-pls help me with inserting date into editbox in MFC.
Actually i tried to create an editbox in a dialog and then for the editbox i assigned a member variable m_val4 of type COleDateTime,but in the date editbox i need only the date part as it is obvious but the above gives me both time and Date.Is there something like GetCurrentDate(); This code below m_val4 = COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime(); Gives me 1/27/06 2:14:38 PM What do i do to get Date alone and Time alone.Thanx in advance. There are GetMonth(..), GetDay(...), GetHour(...),GetMinute(...), GetYear(...) GetSecond functions you can call on COleDateTime object after you construct ...

My worksheet automatically adds a fill color when I enter text.
When I type text in a blank cell, the cell automatically is highlightes with the bright yellow fill. There is no conditional formatting on this workbook. Check your VBA editor. You might have an Event Macro which does what, usually, a CF does. Try to Increase the Macro Security to its maximum level in order to eliminate the Event Macro from running... You may, also consider to "rem" all the Macro commands by adding a Preceding apostrophe to each command. Micky > When I type text in a blank cell, the cell automatically is highlightes with > the bright yello...

Date and Time on Reports
How do I print the current/report date and time on reports as well as on receipt templates (POs, PORcv etc)? hi Alex, you can use the formula to translate the time: below is the code for you as example: (timesold is the datetime field) in RMs all transaction date field contain also time. Begin Column FieldName = "TimeSold" DrillDownFieldName = "" DrillDownReportName = "" StoreIDFieldName = "" Title = "Time Sold" VBDataType = vbString Formula = "replicate('0',2-len(cast(DatePart(Hh,[Transaction].Time) a...

How do I get an automatic equal sign to begin the formula bar?
How do I get an automatic equal sign to appear in the formula bar in Excel for Microsoft 2003? This happened for me in the 2000 version and I could just click on it with my mouse pointer, but now all that appears is the function sign with no equal sign after it. It makes my job a lot more time consuming to have to type in the equal sign while building formulas. Please help, anybody? The = icon disappeared in newer versions of excel (xl2002???). You can add an = icon Tools|customize|commands tab|Insert category (Scroll down the list until you find the = icon) And drag it to your fav...

Loss of formatting when saved as .xls file
I have created a document in Excel 2007 with some normal cell formatting, such as bold text, merge & center, and border lines. When checked for compatibility no errors or messages appear. When the file is saved as an .xls file, closed, then opened again all of the formatting is completely gone and all that is left is text. I had this problem with another file but it was fixable becuase it did show compatibility issues that could be fixed. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. ...

Number with dash is importing as date
An Excel spreadsheet is being exported from a SQL database that I cannot change, so I need to accomplish this in Excel. Sometimes, some of the many numbers contain a dash which Excel then interprets as a date. I can remove the dash programatically, but the number is not correct afterwards. For example, the number imported is 05-9078 which is displayed in Excel as May-78, but is actually stored as 5/1/9078. Changing the cell format to number or text gives me 2621833. I need to be able to add to my macro something that will give me back the original number so that I can remo...

Having numbers automatically appear bold
Hi all, Had such great advise last time, thought I'd try again. I have a large range of cells where I will be inputing sales figures i the form of currency revenue. The range is about G-I and 1-400. Th sales data will be a comparisson of YTD 2001 - 2004 revenue results. What I hope to do is have any figure that is above $30,000 appea automatically in bold so as to stand out as a good client. I gues there is something in the IF function to do this but I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks again in advance. Saxte -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com select the range you wa...

Format date in excel 2000 like '31st January 2005' #3
Trying to set up field in Excel Data Source file so that the current date can be input in letters typed in this format '31st January 2005' Is it possible or am I stuck with dd/mmm/yy format? Malcolm, Why not just format it as you want, but input as standard dd/mm/yyyy. You can't (easily) get the 1st 2nd etc, but a format of dd mmmm yyyy is quite close. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Malcolm Agingwell" <MalcolmAgingwell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5905AC36-E0E9-4CC2-8689-3C9D311C4D3C@microsoft.com... > Trying to set up field in Excel Data Sour...

Is it possible to automatically move data entered in columns into rows?
Is it possible to automatically move data entered in columns into rows? It seems like a simple thing to do but I can't find a function anywhere. Cheers, Richard Thorneycroft Husky Products If you enter something in ONE cell it is automatically in a row and a column. So, perhaps a bit more explanation is in order. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Richard Thorneycroft" <dancecommander81@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9e2f3f75.0411160750.7003c6ab@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to automatically move data entered in columns into rows? >...

Automatic Forward
How can I automatically forward messages received from a specific sender to another's e-mail person? Thanks, ...