Animated chart

Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time
Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works?
0
wynand (6)

The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet.

The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet. This
corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the data
sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains
series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values from
the proper row using this formula:

cell B2:
=INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1)

If A1's value is 1, B2 takes the 1st value from the data range B9:B808. If
A1's value is 10, B2 takes the 10th value.

The scrollbar directly changes the value in cell A1. The go to beginning and
go to end buttons change A1 to 1 and 800 respectively. The forward and
reverse buttons start VBA routines that add 1 to or subtract 1 from the
value in A1 in each iteration. The pause button changes the value of a
Boolean to true, and when the incrementing code is running, it tests this
value: when it becomes true, the code stops incrementing.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"wynand" <wynand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time
> Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/22/2008 12:46:13 PM
Thanks Jon, but I am referring to your download workbook example with this
article.
Clicking outside the chart or inside the chart animates or reanimates (for a
lack of a better word) the chart. I cannot find any link to this acion in vba
or any other control for this

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet.
>
> The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet. This
> corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the data
> sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains
> series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values from
> the proper row using this formula:
>
> cell B2:
> =INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1)
>
> If A1's value is 1, B2 takes the 1st value from the data range B9:B808. If
> A1's value is 10, B2 takes the 10th value.
>
> The scrollbar directly changes the value in cell A1. The go to beginning and
> go to end buttons change A1 to 1 and 800 respectively. The forward and
> reverse buttons start VBA routines that add 1 to or subtract 1 from the
> value in A1 in each iteration. The pause button changes the value of a
> Boolean to true, and when the incrementing code is running, it tests this
> value: when it becomes true, the code stops incrementing.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "wynand" <wynand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time
> > Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works?

0
wynand (6)
8/22/2008 1:48:00 PM
I don't know about those actions. I didn't click inside the chart while the
animation was running.

- Jon
-------

> Thanks Jon, but I am referring to your download workbook example with this
> article.
> Clicking outside the chart or inside the chart animates or reanimates (for
> lack of a better word) the chart. I cannot find any link to this acion in
> vba
> or any other control for this
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet.
>>
>> The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet.
>> This
>> corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the
>> data
>> sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains
>> series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values
>> from
>> the proper row using this formula:
>>
>> cell B2:
>> =INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1)
>>
>> If A1's value is 1, B2 takes the 1st value from the data range B9:B808.
>> If
>> A1's value is 10, B2 takes the 10th value.
>>
>> The scrollbar directly changes the value in cell A1. The go to beginning
>> and
>> go to end buttons change A1 to 1 and 800 respectively. The forward and
>> reverse buttons start VBA routines that add 1 to or subtract 1 from the
>> value in A1 in each iteration. The pause button changes the value of a
>> Boolean to true, and when the incrementing code is running, it tests this
>> value: when it becomes true, the code stops incrementing.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "wynand" <wynand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive
>> > Time
>> > Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/22/2008 8:56:24 PM
Jon, what I am refering to might not be animation. Clicking on those places
(in the chart or close to the chart) in the sheet I mentioned "refreshes" the
chart. This looks like animation, but is probaly not as I cannot find any
link to this action. This I found in your dowload workobook. I am using Excel
03.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> I don't know about those actions. I didn't click inside the chart while the
> animation was running.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "wynand" <wynand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Jon, but I am referring to your download workbook example with this
> > article.
> > Clicking outside the chart or inside the chart animates or reanimates (for
> > lack of a better word) the chart. I cannot find any link to this acion in
> > vba
> > or any other control for this

0
wynand (6)
8/25/2008 5:38:01 AM
This is a good way for create aniamted chert with excel:
http://www.labdg.com/excel/excel_chart_animation.htm

> On Friday, August 22, 2008 1:15 AM wynan wrote:

> Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time
> Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works?

>> On Friday, August 22, 2008 8:46 AM Jon Peltier wrote:

>> The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet.
>>
>> The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet. This
>> corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the data
>> sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains
>> series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values from
>> the proper row using this formula:
>>
>> cell B2:
>> =INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1)
>>
>> If A1's value is 1, B2 takes the 1st value from the data range B9:B808. If
>> A1's value is 10, B2 takes the 10th value.
>>
>> The scrollbar directly changes the value in cell A1. The go to beginning and
>> go to end buttons change A1 to 1 and 800 respectively. The forward and
>> reverse buttons start VBA routines that add 1 to or subtract 1 from the
>> value in A1 in each iteration. The pause button changes the value of a
>> Boolean to true, and when the incrementing code is running, it tests this
>> value: when it becomes true, the code stops incrementing.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "wynand" <wynand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> On Friday, August 22, 2008 9:48 AM wynan wrote:

>>> Thanks Jon, but I am referring to your download workbook example with this
>>> article.
>>> Clicking outside the chart or inside the chart animates or reanimates (for a
>>> lack of a better word) the chart. I cannot find any link to this acion in vba
>>> or any other control for this

0
dom1 (1)

Chart Wizard won't work
I have classwork to perfoerm on EXCEL, but I am unable to use the Chart Wizard because it is grayed out, and unavailable. I have made certain that I have selected ranges with data in them, so what do I do next??? Perhaps it's not installed? Some versions of MS Office do not install the wizards when the default install method is used. Use Custom install, and choose "Run all from my computer". ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "peg2unic" <peg2unic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:255A90EF-B896-48EF-86DC-5988EEC707C1@microsoft.com....

Animated chart
Jon Peltier recently posted an article called "Gas Price Interactive Time Series" on his blog. Can anyone please explain how the animation works? The chart plots the data in the first two rows of the data sheet. The scroll bar under the chart is linked to cell A1 in the data sheet. This corresponds to the row of the data list which is listed in row 2 of the data sheet and plotted in the chart. The first row of the data sheet contains series names, which do not change. The second row extracts the values from the proper row using this formula: cell B2: =INDEX(B$9:B$808,$A$1) ...

animation in outlook 2000
I receive mail all the time that has anmatied art in it. Each tiem i attemp to send an email messge by inserting an anmited clip the clip becomes a still picture. What meus be done to maintina the animation? Set your email format to HTML. (Tools | Options | Mail Format) Open a new message. Click in the body of the message. Select INSERT from the menu Select PICTURE... Browse to an animated jpg or gif file and select it or Set your email format to HTML (Tools | Options | Mail Format) Open a new message Click in the body of the message Find an animated picture on a web site or suc...

Customising Charts
Good Morning, I have a chart showing different account information for different departments. I have 2 values per department, one showing value and the 2nd showing hours. Because of this I have created 2 axis. One going up every 200 and the second axis is going up every 5,000. The issue that I have is that I want the values to show side by side but it keeps changing so that the figures are in one line per department or one behind the other? Does anyone know how I can change this so that they sit side by side with 2 axis? Or even if it is possible. Many thanks, -- VickyC ---------...

How to add pattern to the shape styles for charts in Excel 2007
I was wondering if somebody could help me. I just switched from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2007. In Excel 2003 when I was making charts I used to be able to fill in bars with patterns. It appears that there is no such function in 2007 version. Does anyone know if I can add this function (it is still there in shape formatting section)? Thank you. Galina. Hi, I have an addin that exposes a gui in order to do patterns in charts and shapes. http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm I did not think patterns where accessible even when dealing with shapes. Cheers Andy ...

3D Pie Chart
Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise above the others not seperating from the pie. Does that make sense? I am using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version. If anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited. THANKS! Hi, Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize. To e...

Can I have each series be a different field in a Pivot Chart?
I'd like to create a stacked column chart using a Pivot Chart. But each of the series that I'd like to stack are in different field (columns) in my source data. Is it possible to do this? I can't rearrange the source data, because then I'll exceed Excel's 64K row limitation. I am quite sure you can do it, but need more info about your set up before I will be aboe to give any recommendations Where is the data for each series? "tyson12" wrote: > I'd like to create a stacked column chart using a Pivot Chart. But each of > the series that I'd...

How to lock vertical positon of linked excel charts
I link charts from excel into powerpoint. The total number of rows will periodically decrease/increase. The original linked chart is the max size. It can only decrease from there and maybe increase back to the original size as the data changes. All of my charts have a vertical position of 1.5 so they don't "jump" around to the viewer. How can I lock the vertical position when the data changes so I don't have to manually reset the slides? My automated slide deck is approx 124 slides, approx 50% are linked charts. Manually checking and fixing is not a good ...

why won't animations move in outlook 2007 emails
-- thank you Keith mole <kjmsafe-pot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: <nothing> Because Microsoft removed the ability to display anomation from Outlook 2007. -- Brian Tillman Outlook 2007 does not support animated GIFs anymore due to tighter security handling. Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP] -------------- http://pschmid.net *** Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80 *** Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote *** Subsc...

How do I view and edit the source code for a Chart in Excel 2003?
Is there a way to access the code (VBA?) for a Chart created in Excel 2003? I have generated a complicated Chart or graph which I want to then "Copy" and modify to make several more which access different spreadsheets. It is cumbersome to click in the Toggle box for the data ranges for X and Y. Instead, I was hoping there might be a way to use Search and Replace to change the text describing the data ranges. EBB Excel does not create VBA when creating a chart unless you have specifically recorded the steps of creating it (Tools>Macros>Record New Macro...). Even when y...

WEBSITE ANIMATIONS
Im trying to create a website with an animation but when I try to insert it (through the tool-bar) it won't let me. I created the animation in Macromedia flash, could that be why it's not working? -- AC Using a SWF file (Flash) in Publisher http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/articles/81253.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AA7D80D-E91A-4BFB-B684-4483EBCCC36E@microsoft.com... > Im trying to create a website with an anim...

graphing two variables on one chart
In Excel can I plot two lines with different Y-axis values? Yes. Select the custom type "chart line - column on 2 axes" and right click on the column chart and select chart type, line chart. Gary "James" wrote: > In Excel can I plot two lines with different Y-axis values? Select one of the series on the chart and under the axis tab select secondary. "James" wrote: > In Excel can I plot two lines with different Y-axis values? Your question sounded more fundamental to me than getting a secondary Y axis, more like getting another series into the chart...

Stack Chart
Dear All, is it possible to have a stack chart (2 sets of data) combined with a third set of data that is represented as a line on the top... similar to a Line - Column on 2 Axes ... but the columns are stacked??? Any guidance is most appreciated. I have Office XP, but would be interested for any version.... Regards, andym Hi, Create a stacked column chart with all 3 data sets. Now select the data set that you want plotted as a line. Right click and choose Chart Type. Pick the style of line chart you want. Cheers Andy andym wrote: > Dear All, > > is it possible to have a...

Programming Charts
Hi I have a macro that creates a chart and rezises it. The problem is that whenever I change monitor and the resolution the charts get all wrong in size. How can I fix this in order to work in all resolution thanks Pedro ...

Chart blanks
Hi I have a chart with 2 lines on it. One has 52 data points and is last year's data. This year's line has, say, only 20 points. I would like this years line just to stop after the 20 points but it continues showing 0 for the rest of year. How do I get it just to not plot! Thanks Max If you can arrange to have errors in those cells then they will not plot. You can do this by: =3DNA() for those cells that do not have any data yet, then overwrite them when the data becomes available. Hope this helps. Pete On Mar 1, 8:42=A0pm, "Max Scott" &...

identifying a chart column individually in code
Let me try a different approach. I currently use a clusterd column chart that is created automatically with code. Presently, I need to select each column manually to format them according to a convention that we like at work. Each column that represents a subset of a given group is colored to represent the group of which it is a subset. Each column that is of a different group gets a different color. I think I can automate this process if I can tell the code to look at column 1, for example. Then column 2, and so forth through the entire set of columns. If I can do that, I can provide an I...

Pie Chart Problem
:confused: Hi, My data consists of 1896 responses. I divided the data into boys (944) & girls (952). These are further divided into 4 rows as shown in the boys example below: Percentages U/W: 98 5% 10% Norm: 521 27% 55% R/O/W: 121 6% 13% O/W: 204 11% 22% Total 944 50% 100% The first column of percentages is worked out on the total number of responses (1896), while the 2nd column is worked out on the boys responses (944). M...

How do I insert a hyperlink into a chart element?
How can I insert a hyperlink into a bar of a bar chart, for instance? I read on MSFT's help page that, "You can also insert hyperlinks in specific chart elements.", but I cannot figure out how to do so. It's not so easy. You need to set up code to recognize chart events, then respond to the specific event. This article described chart events in Excel charts: Chart Events in Microsoft Excel http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 Search the page for a paragraph beginning with this sentence: "Identify the clicked point, then jump to anot...

Animation query
I have created a slide in PowerPoint 2007 where to the left I have 4 bullet points and to the right I have inserted 4 pictures in association to the bullet points. I am trying to animate the slide so that I get bullet point 1 come in then picture 1, Bullet 2 then picture 2 etc. However, I am able to get all the bullets to come in 1,2,3,4 etc then the pictures 5,6,7,8. But if I try to move the first picture to come in after the first bullet the picture takes up number 1 spot then all the bullets. To resume, I can't seem to seperate the bullets to allow a picture to come ...

use animated text or animated clip art
how can I use animated text or animated clipart in publisher? Only if you are creating a web page. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Patty" <Patty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FA23101-2A3D-4AED-A759-883F3A3C9F8B@microsoft.com... > how can I use animated text or animated clipart in publisher? I thought as much - thought I was missing something - thanks. I find it odd I can use animations in Word, but not publis...

Bar and Line Chart
Hello all experts here, I would like to create a chart with two bars and three lines. But it seems if i input more than 4 types of data, the excel only allows me to do 3 bars and 2 lines. Please kindly advice. Thanks million!! That's the problem with the built-in custom types, too inflexible. Start with a line chart using all five series. Select one that you want to change to a column (the vertical bars in Excel are called columns), and use Chart Type on the Chart menu to change it to a column. Select the next one to change, and either go back to Chart Type, or press the F4 func...

Pivot chart and Total row
Hi All I have a Pivot table and attached Pivot chart (all good so far). However, there are three columns (drop column details here) which are the two columns of data and a grand total column (showing the average of my two data columns) When I turn it into a pivot chart it does not display the grand total column as well (is there a way to do this). I have tried to go into the chart options but these are locked. I can copy and paste the results but this is a bit clumsy. Any suggestions - any help greatly appreciated Kind regards Rexmann PS using excel 2003 ...

Determining if a chart is selected
Is there any way (property) to determine if an embedded chart on a sheet is selected or if it exists? Or is the best way to try access the ActiveChart and catch the error. We have to make sure that the ActiveChart, if it exists, is Deselected before performing a certain operation and we only want to Deselect it if it is, in fact, selected. Any info this would be appreaciated. Thanks. Roy Trapping the error if Activechart doesn't yield anything is the quickest way to do it. You could, of course, start with the selection and loop to check if it is a chart (chartobject?) or a workboo...

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...