An uneven time-increment

Dear all,

If in a spreadsheet you have years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990,
2050 with associated data for each year, how do you produce a line
graph of this without 2050 being positioned at the same interval on the
x-axis as the difference between the other years? To clarify, because
the difference between 2050 and 1990 is greater than the difference
between the previous years (all 1), how do get Excel to represent this
on the x-axis of a line graph?

Thanks for your help,
Steve

--
smurray444
smurray444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28956

Steve -

There are two ways, both involving the use of a time scale axis.

Method 1. In the worksheet, change the years to dates like the first of each
year, or 1/1/1985, 1/1/1986. Then recreate the chart. Excel is likely to
generate a time-scale axis without human intervention, and the spaces
between points will reflect the years between points. If Excel still doesn't
make a time scale axis, choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, and on the
Axes tab, under Category X Axis select the Time-Scale option.

Method 2. Leave the years as they are. Change to a time-scale axis: choose
Chart Options from the Chart menu, and on the Axes tab, under Category X
Axis select the Time-Scale option. Excel converts the years to a date, but
it's based on the number of days since 1/1/1900 (and 1985, for example,
reads like 6/7/1905). Double click the axis, and on the Number tab, change
the number format to General.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"smurray444" <smurray444.22vjx0_1139341502.3287@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:smurray444.22vjx0_1139341502.3287@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Dear all,
>
> If in a spreadsheet you have years 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990,
> 2050 with associated data for each year, how do you produce a line
> graph of this without 2050 being positioned at the same interval on the
> x-axis as the difference between the other years? To clarify, because
> the difference between 2050 and 1990 is greater than the difference
> between the previous years (all 1), how do get Excel to represent this
> on the x-axis of a line graph?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Steve
>

> --
> smurray444

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Excel 2007 message bar security question disappears after time.
We have recently moved over to Excel 2007 and have several worksheets with VBA code running in them. We have set Excel to “Disable all macros with notification” when we run one of our Excel sheets a security warning appears in the message bar giving us the option to “Enable this content.” However sometimes users are not noticing the message straight away and then the message disappears. Is there anyway to get the message to reappear without having to close the worksheet down and reopen afresh? ...

calender times all wrong
recently my calender times ahe all be scrambled. appointments entered at 10:00am are suddenly showing up at 2:00am etc etc. using OL2002, windows XP pro, thru exchange server Have you changed a time zone recently, check here Tools > Options > Calendar Options > Time Zone "Nick Juniper" <n.juniper@saleebaadams.com.au> wrote in message news:eNxkgF6vDHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > recently my calender times ahe all be scrambled. > appointments entered at 10:00am are suddenly showing up at 2:00am etc etc. > using OL2002, windows XP pro, thru exchange server ...

File Name as Date and Time
Im racking my brain here trying to figure out a way to build a macro that will save a spreadsheet as a date and time. Anyone have a solution? Basicly I want to have a macro thats move the current data out of one wook sheet to another wook book and save it. The file name will have to change everytime this happens. Perferably the date and time. Its this unique file name that Im stuck on. -- Tasar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tasar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30272 View this thread: http://www.excel...

How do you Increment Time??
I'm using, and love it, Excel 97. I want to know how to increment TIME. Say I have a few rows, each start at 10:00 AM and I want each to increment at different intervals. Let's say row 1 is 15 min, row 2 is 17 minutes, row 3 is 60 minutes, row 4 is 75 minutes, etc..etc.. I cannot find documentation about this within Excel NOR on Microsoft's web site. Does anyone of you know how to do this? I'd sure appreciate the help. thanks, In B1 enter: =TIME(HOUR(A1),MINUTE(A1)+15,0) and copy across The 15 is for 15 minutes. Change the interval to suit your needs. -- Gary''...

I need help reading time
Hi, I am having some major issues, i created teh formula to state th different in hours and minutes between 2 times. However, What i hav done is created the right vlookup formula to display a word instead o a minute value. but the vlookup formula does not read the formula as proper value, I have tried sum,value,=and text to display the minutes difference fo the vlookup formula to work but nothing works other than manual entr please help as there are thousands for rows and will take all night b hand. : -- sydoll ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sydol...

Stop using a separate time zone in CRM. Use the Windows time zone
-- Robert Green IT Manager All-Tex Exteriors ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=70fd107c-25b3-4c92-b1d4-f371d6a174e6&dg=microsoft.public.crm ...

How do I convert time. Julian time to FILETIME
I'm using VC6. The equipment that my program connects to, sends data to me including date/time is Julian format. This is a double containing the Julian date and the fraction of the date. I need a function to convert this to FILETIME or to SYSTEMTIME. Please, can someone help me. A quick search for "julian" turned up at least one article for the inverse transform, under the totally obscure heading "Reference-type function arguments". Casting the double to an int should give the Julian date, and the code suggests how an inversion operation might be written. j...

Calculating Elapsed Time
How do I calculate elapsed time in a simple query when the starting time is before 00:00 and the end time after 00:00 ... all I'm getting at the moment is a negative number? Use the DateDiff function for the two values in question. -- Bruce "Machyde" wrote: > How do I calculate elapsed time in a simple query when the starting time is > before 00:00 and the end time after 00:00 ... all I'm getting at the moment > is a negative number? A date time is store as a floating point number, but around 0, there is something different than the way float...

Time Entry
A simple problem I would appreciate your help with. I have a work sheet with several cells where time is to be entered in the format hh:mm. Unfortunately a lot of users are enetering it in the format hh.mm. Is there any way I can automatically convert to the right format, or not accept the (.) but only (:). Thanks for your help. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If InStr(1, Target.Text, ":", vbTextCompare) < 1 Then MsgBox "invalid entry" End If End Sub Enter the above code in the sheets module Mangesh -- mangesh_yadav -------------------...

date time problem
I would like to have a date cell that can have an input mask of __/__/__ so that a user need only enter the numerics of a given date; i.e 052405. I I tried setting the cell format to custom mm/dd/yy and I get a return date of 10/1/43 !!!!!???? Why has excel lost the correct date? Regions global show the correct year range, and Excel is set to 1900 time? What do I need to do to correct this? Thanks XL's parse engine and display engine are separate - the displayed format has nothing to do with how the entry is parsed (other than Text entries are not parsed at all). For a workaro...

Automatic incremental of records
I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record number 4 still remains serial number 4 although it is actually the third record. Is there a way it can be done automatically? njogus wrote: > I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 > .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like > record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record > number 4 still remains serial number ...

Uneven Margins
For some reson my landscape page has a 1/4" margin on the right and a 1/8th margin on the left and no matter how I adjust my page setup it will not change. My email address is dheinz@olynorthwest.com if someone would like to respond and I can email the file for a look see :) -- David R. Heinz In landscape mode the right margin in most printers will be larger, when in portrait the larger margin will be on the bottom. Tutorial: Finding your Maximum Print Area http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps....

Totaling times
I have a form where the keyboardist types in the start time and end time for a person and operation. That in turn totals the run time for that person and operation. That all workes well. When I try to total the entire job time it "resets" after 24 hours (if a job totals 25 hours only one hour will show on the total). How do I get all the hours to total. This has no date reference. Thanks You really need a date reference to be able to do that. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "RocketJ" wrote: > I have a form where the keyboardist types in the start time and e...

Email Doesn't Send, but tries hundreds of times
Outlook 2007 I have a problem email in my Out Box. It tries to send, can't, and then spawns hundreds of tries. I have to use Task Manger to stop Outlook. I've tried deleting the email and can't. It says "Outlook has already begun sending this message." How do I get rid of it? I can't send any email until I can figure out how to delete it. On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:18:00 -0700, Harvested <harvested_onusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >Outlook 2007 > >I have a problem email in my Out Box. It tries to send, can't, and >then spawns hundreds of tri...

How do I set up a formula on a time sheet to calculate time in 1/.
I am setting up a time spreadsheet and I want all of my totals to be calculated in 1/4 increments. Example: IN OUT IN OUT TOTAL 7:01 AM 11:47AM 12:50 PM 4:32 PM = 8:30 hours Don't know what you total formula is, but let us say it is =(B2-A2)+(D2-C2) If you want to round this to the nearest quarter hour use =ROUND(((B2-A2)+(D2-C2))*96,0)/96 If you want to round up a quarter hour, use =ROUNDUP(((B2-A2)+(D2-C2))*96,0)/96 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "gschmid" <gschmid...

How do i format this time ?
Hi, i have a column with times in this format, i.e.: 433 10433 190433 which respectively mean the follwoing times: 00 h: 04 min: 33 s 01 h: 04 min: 33 s 19 h: 04 min: 33 s how can i set the cells so they show the time in the latter format ? I welcome any suggestions. Regards, Victor =3DLEFT(TEXT(A1,"000000"),2)& " hrs : " & MID(TEXT(A1,"000000"),3,2)&" Min : "&RIGHT(A1,2)&" S" On Nov 18, 5:37=A0pm, VICTOR <victor.hera...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > i have a column with t...

How to make a query sort randomly each time it is run?
I have a webpage that runs a query. Presently I have the top 15 entries always at the top, and any others beneath them. I need to rotate the 15 on top as well as the rest underneath. I know that it is probably a simple sort command but I'm stuck. Anyone able to help me? your query would need to include a field that is a random number. you can do this with the Rnd() function. It will work best if you have some sort of numeric ID field for your primary key that you can reference. Something like: Int( Rnd([IDNumber]) * 1000 ) would give a random number between 0-999 I believe....

Automatically update time.
Dear Sir / Madam, I have a query in Excel which are as follows:- I work for Logistic department in Dubai and often we visit website to see time of each country we deal with, but recently i got an idea that this can be done in excel so that we can use it at any moment. I want to create 3 columns, first with UAE time, second with Country time and third column with difference in time. These columns should be updated automatically, so just want to check with you if this is possible. Thanking you in anticipation, Regards, Ashu. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message ...

calculating time with IF statement
I have the following: A1 is formated as time = 7:30 AM A2 is formated as time = 6:00 PM A3 is formated as time and contains =sum(A2 - A1) and gives 10:30 That part I've got down. Now, I want to subtract 30 minutes so I added: A4 is formated as time and contains =sum(A3-30/1440) and gives 10:00 Worked, thanks to those that have posted these questions. Now the problem: I only want to subtract the 30 minutes if cell A3 is greater than 7:00 How do I write that IF statement? Thanks for the help, Mark You could have used: =a2-a1 =a3-30/1400 =sum() doesn't really add anything to...

time
cen anybody help mi how to calculate in first row theres lets say time when started something in hour- minutes format in second row time when finished also in hh.mm format in third row i would like to see the difference i.e. time used or spent and the sum of that row im using excell 2oo3 thanks Hi Axiom! Time is recorded by Excel as a decimal part of a day; it is only formatting that makes it appear differently. To work out time difference: Latest - Earliest Format hh:mm:ss If (as with a sum of times), there is a danger of the time exceeding 24 hours you can prevent "rollover&...

Blank lines uneven distribution
I used Duane Hookom's OnPage event to add extra lines at the end of my report. Even though I'm still an ameteur at this and don't understand how it works it does what I need it to do. Each page requires a Page header and footer and 21 lines of detail with a boarder for each textbox and blank lines on the last page even if there is no detail. The program does the job but for each line when there is data, the text gets lower and lower in the box. Is there a way to ensure that the text appears in the same place within the borders on each line printed? Private Sub ...

first time connection after booting
Hi I would be grateful for any help with this. I embedded WMP in MSAccess 2003. The first time I open WMP set to a url avi file on my local drive it is super slow. BUT THIS IS ONLY AFTER I BOOT THE COMPUTER. If I close and reopen the db when the system is on it is fine until I restart the computer and again have the same issue. I am using vista 64. Your help is greatly appreciated. Alan set to autostart strURL = "c:\mylocation" Me.WindowsMediaPlayer0.URL = strURL DoEvents Never heard of WMP in Access 2003,only in visual basic & visual studio.. Youre best bet ...

Run time error 2465
I'm trying to open an access db and upon loading or opening I get Run Time Error 2465 Can not find field 'cmdLock' referred to in your expression. When I go to Debug I see it highlight the line in question: frm!cmdLock.Caption = IIf(bLock, "Un&lock", "&Lock") It seems OK, what am I missing? One other strange thing, (well strange to me) is that this db is located on a network drive. No one else has this problem, but me? Any ideas? Hi Rock, When an application works on other PCs, but fails on one PC, this is usually a sign of a MISSING reference...

Missing printers causing long boot times?
A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never operated properly since. We first deleted the printer object, connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to print. But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited for the refurb Lexmark to arrive. The Lexmark works fine, prints like a champ, but the boot still takes forever. Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer...

Calculating sum of two given times.
Is there a way to calculte the sum of two given times? For example, A1 says 08:00 and B1 says 17:00 then C1 will auto calculate "9". Also, if it can be done, because my time is always based on quarter hour, will the end result show a fraction? Example, A1is 07:45, B1 is 17:00, then C1 is 9 1/4. << Is there a way to calculte the sum of two given times? For example A1 says 08:00 and B1 says 17:00 then C1 will auto calculate "9".>> =(B1-A1)*24 and format Cell C1 as *_general_* << Also, if it can be done, because my time is always based on quarte hour...