Ambitious Gantt chart

Hiya,

I am creating a Gantt chart in Excel to show the tasks in an aircraft
turnaround:

The timeline is from 18:00 when the aircraft stops at the terminal gate to
20:30 when the plane pushes back from the gate (and heads to the runway).

All of the tasks in the Gantt chart are the various processes involved on
the turnaround, for example cleaning, security check, fuelling, etc.

So far this is very doable using techniques offered by Jon Peltier and many
other sources.

However, there are two things I'd like to add that I just can't get my head
around:

1. I'd like to capture some items that have no duration, such as push back
time/ pilot arrival time. I assume I am using the right method by pasting
another series in, but I just can't get it to work. I'd like these to be
stars rather than bars. Any ideas?

2. This is the ambitious bit! What I am trying to use this for is to compare
the timelines of the actual process compared to what is planned for. For this
I would like to have such a Gantt chart with two bars/stars for each task -
one bar for the planned (coloured in gray), and overlapping this I would like
a blue bar with the achieved timescales.

Can anyone help me on this - it would really be useful as an ongoing tool (I
have set something up so that the user can select whether they want to see
the performance on a particular day, an average over any timeperiod they
specify, etc). Also, I would like to be able to add this within an Access
database - anyone know if Access can handle it (assuming Excel can in the
first place!).

Thanks everyone,

Basil
0
Basil1 (11)

Hi Basil -

1. The added series would be an XY series, as used for milestone markers
in this example:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

2. This requires a more intricate data arrangement. Essentially you keep
the stacked bar chart, but you need to incorporate points between the
visible bars to serve as gaps. Arrange the data like this:

                  Start  Plan  Actual
Blank            18:00
Task 1 Plan      18:00  0:20
Task 1 Actual    18:00        0:21
Blank            18:00
Task 2 Plan      18:20  0:10
Task 2 Actual    18:21        0:14
Blank            18:00
Task 3 Plan      18:30  0:05
Task 3 Actual    18:35        0:04
Blank            18:00

Create the stacked bar chart, leaving the word Blank in the appropriate
cells until Excel has drawn the chart. The Start series is formatted
with no border and no fill, the Plan series is gray filled, and the
Actual is Blue Filled.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Basil wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I am creating a Gantt chart in Excel to show the tasks in an aircraft
> turnaround:
>
> The timeline is from 18:00 when the aircraft stops at the terminal gate to
> 20:30 when the plane pushes back from the gate (and heads to the runway).
>
> All of the tasks in the Gantt chart are the various processes involved on
> the turnaround, for example cleaning, security check, fuelling, etc.
>
> So far this is very doable using techniques offered by Jon Peltier and many
> other sources.
>
> However, there are two things I'd like to add that I just can't get my head
> around:
>
> 1. I'd like to capture some items that have no duration, such as push back
> time/ pilot arrival time. I assume I am using the right method by pasting
> another series in, but I just can't get it to work. I'd like these to be
> stars rather than bars. Any ideas?
>
> 2. This is the ambitious bit! What I am trying to use this for is to compare
> the timelines of the actual process compared to what is planned for. For this
> I would like to have such a Gantt chart with two bars/stars for each task -
> one bar for the planned (coloured in gray), and overlapping this I would like
> a blue bar with the achieved timescales.
>
> Can anyone help me on this - it would really be useful as an ongoing tool (I
> have set something up so that the user can select whether they want to see
> the performance on a particular day, an average over any timeperiod they
> specify, etc). Also, I would like to be able to add this within an Access
> database - anyone know if Access can handle it (assuming Excel can in the
> first place!).
>
> Thanks everyone,
>
> Basil
As always Jon, you are the Don!

It's a shame we can't merge the axis ticks/tick labels, but it isn't
important (by deleting the 'actual' label as well as the blank, I can have
'Task 1' et al. top aligned to it's two bars. With a fixed task list size, I
could always remove ticks and use textboxes that point to the cells wholding
the task names.)

Thanks also for publishing my query on the bus loads graph in April's
TechTrax, I felt proud to have contributed to a worthy article!

Basil

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> [...]
> > another series in, but I just can't get it to work. I'd like these to be
> > stars rather than bars. Any ideas?
> >
> > 2. This is the ambitious bit! What I am trying to use this for is to compare
> > the timelines of the actual process compared to what is planned for. For this
> > I would like to have such a Gantt chart with two bars/stars for each task -
> > one bar for the planned (coloured in gray), and overlapping this I would like
> > a blue bar with the achieved timescales.
> >
> > Can anyone help me on this - it would really be useful as an ongoing tool (I
> > have set something up so that the user can select whether they want to see
> > the performance on a particular day, an average over any timeperiod they
> > specify, etc). Also, I would like to be able to add this within an Access
> > database - anyone know if Access can handle it (assuming Excel can in the

0
Basil1 (11)

Copy/Paste charts
Hi, I'm trying to copy several charts from the same sheet ans paste them in another workbook. what i have is this: Windows("BDs.xls").Activate ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 11").Activate ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Chart 11", "Chart 12", "Chart 13", "Chart 14" _ , "Chart 15", "Chart 16")).Select Selection.Copy Windows(F).Activate ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False _ , DisplayAsIcon:=False As i run the macro, it se...

Time-Series Charting
I have 18 machines running during the course of the day. I would like to create a chart with 1 - 18 on the y-axis and a horizontal bar or line corresponding to the times during the day that the machine was active with time (0:00 - 23:45) on the x-axis. I have the data for the time broken into a "start time" column and and "stop time" column with the corresponding machine number in a third column: MACHINE START STOP 2 0:27 1:30 2 1:32 1:49 2 1:57 2:40 2 2:57 3:25 2 3:45 4:28 2 4:55 5:12 2 5:16 5:32 2 5:41 5:46 Thank you in advance for the help. asaylor wrote: &g...

Automatic chart generator
Hi, I need to analyze the Excel data. The raw data incluse six tables that are time series (around 5 measurements) for around 100 subject each. Having that I should calculate some easy formulas based on that data. I'd like to illustrate the results using MS charts. Moreover it will b useful for data entering validation. What I was planning to do was to prepare some links for predefine charts that should be interesting for me. The more flexible step was to make Excel create the charts out of ra data. I feel it will consume lots of work while programming VBA. Mayb I should use pivot...

ranges not showing on chart
i have 3 ranges on my chart, being the 'relative', average and 'jps'. i have adjusted the 'relative' as i am using the first third and last third of the values instead of all of them by selecting them w the mouse and holding CTRL, and now the average and 'jps' ranges are not showing. these values are all close to the 'relative' so shouldnt be above the graph, and i have checked that the values are in the cells i have sourced the data from. i cannot think of whatelse i am missing thanks everyone ...

How to plot a function, y=f(x) in excel chart.
Is it possible to combine a plot of a function, example y=f(x) together with other chart data? One example is to plot a straight line or multiple lines together with x-y or bar charts. I know I could simply generate the data and populate cells and then plot this data together with the other data, but is there a way to do it without filling cells? This topic has been covered at least three times in the past. Stephen Bullen http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=ChtFrmla.zip Tushar Mehta http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html Jan Karel Pieterse http://jkp-ad...

No "Chart Option" feature in the Formatting Palette or when double click on Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc. <br><br>When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the &quot;Chart Option&quot; to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph t...

How do I create a pie of pie chart?
I have the following data: a 66% b 33% and b1 42% b2 35% b3 8% b4 15% how do I get a pie showing 66% and 33% and a sub pie connected to the 33% showing the other 4 amounts? The chart wizard is driving me round the bend! It keeps adding a 7th slice called "series 1 point other" aaaargh!!! Help! With the following data in cells A1:B5 -- A B 1 a 66% 2 b1 42% 3 b2 35% 4 b3 8% 5 b4 15% Enter the following in cells D1:E5 -- a =B1 b1 =(1-$B$1)*B2 b2 =(1-$B$1)*B3 b3 =(1-$B$1)*B4 b4 =(1-$B$1)*B5 Select a cell in the range D1:E5, and use the Chart W...

Ambitious Gantt chart
Hiya, I am creating a Gantt chart in Excel to show the tasks in an aircraft turnaround: The timeline is from 18:00 when the aircraft stops at the terminal gate to 20:30 when the plane pushes back from the gate (and heads to the runway). All of the tasks in the Gantt chart are the various processes involved on the turnaround, for example cleaning, security check, fuelling, etc. So far this is very doable using techniques offered by Jon Peltier and many other sources. However, there are two things I'd like to add that I just can't get my head around: 1. I'd like to capture...

Updating charts in Excel
For some reason, my charts no longer seem to update when the source data itself is updated. The source data cells are actually formulas themselves, but they are updating with the new information just fine. It's very strange that the table the values are drawn from have changed and are current but the chart itself still shows old numbers. The only way I can fix it is to right click, select source data, then re-enter the source data cells. (Actually I change one cell and then change it back and it updates.) Does anyone have any idea why my workbook is no longer updating cells? By...

Scatter chart displays as line chart
I'm trying to connect point on a (background graphic) circle with lines (using Excel 2000). I have generated the X-cordinates for all ends of lines in one column and, in each of the following columns, I have the Y-cordinates for one line, two values next to each other; in the same rows as their X-coordinates. All other cells are empty. This works in smaller scale but when I have 250 lines, the X-values are replaced with rising numbers, i.e. I get a line graphic. Is there any way to make the scatter graphic work in large scale figures? Thanks Hi, Have you used the xy-scatter type ...

Autoupdate Charts
Good Evening All, I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me out of a niggling problem I have searched Google, but found no solution to my niggle. I have created a Auto Updated LINE Chart, using named ranges utilizing the OFFSET function, to look at a selected set of data, - eg below: A B Month Value 01 100 02 150 03 200 04 150 05 250 etc,etc... This works fine, as the chart updates as dates/values are added/changed/deleted. However, the snag ...

chart margins
How do I reduce the margins around a chart? Select the plot area, then stretch it using the little black handles on its corners and edges. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "DSF" <DSF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:851143DC-404A-4732-84CE-34CDE95FB305@microsoft.com... > How do I reduce the margins around a chart? ...

How to export flow-charts from ppt to doc without losing quality?
I have created quite complex flow charts in PPT and want to use these images in Word. I have tried copying the images, converting to pdf and then adding the images and also exporting the file to word as slides and then copying the images. So far the last option has worked best, but I want to know if there is a better way? Or even an easy way to create flow charts (with connectors) in Word? You might try grouping the images as one and then save the image (not the slide) out as a jpg or a tif and then insert the jpg or tif into Word. I suspect the tif will work better. "...

can i do multiple plots on 3d chart?
I have various data sets that I want to plot on a single 3D chart to compare peak responses. Is this possible in excel? What kind of 3D chart? Can you use the corresponding 2D chart type? In general, you are better off not using any 3D charts, and especially not Excel's 3D charts, which mostly consist of 2D data with a fake third dimension. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "mrplec" <mrplec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98A0BF60-D8A6-49FD-A405-B...

How to add a Vertical Line to a Column or Line Chart with two axes already in use?
Hi All, I need to add a vertical line to a column / line chart combo where the secondary axis is already in use. I have ready through John Peltier's site (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html) and specifically the two options he has under the 'Special Effects and Features' section for adding vertical lines to a chart, but both require the use of a secondary axis which is then hidden. That is not an option for me as I am already using that secondary axis. I am currently using a line object drawn over the top of the chart object and manually positioned on the cha...

Functions in charts
Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the chart title changes based on the value in a cell)? That way, if the chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that. Any ideas? On Mar 15, 5:17 pm, "Matt" <MLThorn...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the > chart title changes based on the value in a cell)? That way, if the > chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that. > Any ideas? Yes it is. Full instructions are at <a href="http:// office.microsoft.com/en-gb/e...

copy and past chart 11-21-07
I have 22 employees. I have created 22 different queries for different performance data. From these I want to creat a chart for each employee. Now I have created one very good chart for one of the employees, but it took a fair amount of doing and now I would like all 22 charts to look exactly the same in appearance. I would LIKE to copy and past the chart and then just change the SOURCE of the data but I cannot figure out HOW to do this? I successfully copied and pasted each query and then just changed the criteria accordingly, but I cannot figure out how to change the source fo...

Chart overlay and joined secondary chart
I created a hi-low-close stock chart with excel, but would like to add an independent indicator on top of the main chart without disturbing the axis scale on the main chart. So my first question is: can I make an overlay chart? Secondly, if I decide to add another indicator below the original chart, is there a way to join the two charts, so the data will be aligned? Thanks Hi, Have a look at Jon's example. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignCharts.html It may be possible to create a combination chart, which is usually a better solution than trying to overlay them. Chee...

display cell value on a pivot chart
After perparing a pivot chart and showing it to my customer, he requested some other information on the chart. He would like to see the grand total of the selected data displayed as a numeric value (i.e. not plotted just a label followed by a value). Does Excel provide any way to customize the chart to add a label and value to a random location on the chart? ...

Pivot Charts
I need to update about 120 charts per week using pivot charts. Since the data changes weekly, I lose any formatting to the lines on the graph. Can I update all the graphs using a macro? If so, where do I start the macro - on the pivot data tab or on the pivot chart itself? At the simplest level, you could record a macro as you refresh and reformat the charts manually. Then, play the macro each week to automatically perform the task. Depending on how the PivotCharts change, and where they're located, you may be able to write some code to loop through them and make the changes. ...

Which best chart for income?
What kind of chart (for example, a bar graph, line graph, or pictograph [e.g., pie chart]) would be good for displaying Patty's income and why? Why would displaying her income in a chart be good for Patty? How will having a chart for her company's income be looked at by the bank? "EqualacornLady" wrote > What kind of chart (for example, a bar graph, line graph, or pictograph > [e.g., pie chart]) would be good for displaying Patty's income and why? > Why would displaying her income in a chart be good for Patty? How will > having a chart for her comp...

Bar charts with a differing starting point
I need to plot a bar chart where the values is a price range. In my graph the x-axis is a price range (i.e. 25, 50,100, etc) and the y-axis is the product name (i.e. toyota, honda, bmw, mercedes, ferrari). The bar should reflect the position of a prodcut name's price range (i.e. toyota, 25-50) in the graph. This way toyota will have a bar starting from the 25 grid to the 50 grid, honda (30-60) will have a bar starting from 30 grid to the 60 grid, etc. Teng, Set your data up like this (assume Toyota is in cell A1, 25 in B1, and 25 in C1 - Honda info is in row 2): Toyota 25 25 Honda...

How do I print a worksheet with embedded charts?
I have two embedded charts overlaying my worksheet. I need all three to print as it appears on my screen. When I print my worksheet, the two charts disappear. I can print it all separately, but not together. Please help. Presentation tonight! Thank you Valerine - The default behavior is to print the charts as they appear on the worksheet. Something is strange, let's see what we can do. Hold Shift while selecting a chart, so you get white handles on the corners instead of black. On the Format menu, choose Object, click on the Properties tab, and make sure the Print Object box i...

charting performance speed
So am I correct in finding that the charting preformance speed of 2007 is an absolute dog? Trying to chart 16 datasets with 2055 data pointrs each on an x-y chart, with the colours of some of the lines adjusted to keep them in four "matching sets". I have to wait for nearly a minute for a redraw when you flick back a tab. Can't type any headers without taking a break for a coffee. Am I missing something please? Your impressions match my own. Excel 2007 with SP1 installed is slightly better in some situations. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials ...

Showing Grand Totals in Pivot Charts
I have created a pivot table which contains a Grand Total column. This grand total column displays the sum of the counts for all the columns correctly. This number does not seem to be available to me when I generate a pivot chart. How can I make the grand total from the pivot table display in the pivot chart? Hi Nikki - Unfortunately pivot charts aren't as flexible as regular charts. But you can make a regular chart from pivot table data. Select a blank cell that isn't near the pivot table. In step 2, click on the Series tab, then one by one add the series and the data range ...