Adding an intersecting line on a chart

Hi All

Sorry if this is simple but so am I !

I have a basic X-Y line chart with about 6 values plotted
to form a wiggly line. I've added a trendline to this to
smooth it. I now wish to add a vertical line at a certain
value on the x axis, draw this up to the trendline, then
trace a horizontal line across to the Y axis. It's the
sort of thing you'd do in secondary school but can I do it
in excel ?!?!? ...no

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
John P

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html

Jerry

John Phillips wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Sorry if this is simple but so am I !
>
> I have a basic X-Y line chart with about 6 values plotted
> to form a wiggly line. I've added a trendline to this to
> smooth it. I now wish to add a vertical line at a certain
> value on the x axis, draw this up to the trendline, then
> trace a horizontal line across to the Y axis. It's the
> sort of thing you'd do in secondary school but can I do it
> in excel ?!?!? ...no

0
post_a_reply (1395)
7/9/2003 11:41:42 AM
John -

Use LINEST to determine the slope and intersection of the trendline (or
the higher order terms if you've used that option).  Put your X value
into a cell, use the LINEST coefficients to calculate Y in an adjacent
cell, then copy this 2-cell range, and use Paste Special from the Edit
menu to add the data to the chart as a new series (a single point
series).  Now double click on the point to format it.  On the Patterns
tab, use None for Line and Marker (unless you want to show the point),
on the X Error Bars tab, set a Minus error bar, with a Percentage of
100, and on the Y Error Bars tab, set another Minus error bar, again
with a Percentage of 100.  The error bars form the lines that go back to
the axes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

John Phillips wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Sorry if this is simple but so am I !
>
> I have a basic X-Y line chart with about 6 values plotted
> to form a wiggly line. I've added a trendline to this to
> smooth it. I now wish to add a vertical line at a certain
> value on the x axis, draw this up to the trendline, then
> trace a horizontal line across to the Y axis. It's the
> sort of thing you'd do in secondary school but can I do it
> in excel ?!?!? ...no
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Regards
> John P

0
jonpeltier (303)

Removing spaces at start of line
Hi, Is there a way to remove spaces at the beginning of lines in a Word 2007 doc? I don't want to remove the spaces between the words, just at the beginning of each line. Thanks! Select the text. Set justification to centered and then set justification back to left. Jill wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way to remove spaces at the beginning of lines in a Word > 2007 doc? I don't want to remove the spaces between the words, just > at the beginning of each line. > > Thanks! If you have spaces at the beginning of a line, it probably means...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

chart axis title
Heeeeeelp I have MS excel 2000. Every time I plot a chart the y-axis title is incomplete (a few letters are missing off the end). It does not let m change the title-box size via the usual route (i.e. dragging one of th corners with the mouse). If I change the font size of the title, the bo also gets smaller and half of the title is still missing. The x-axis i fine, only the y-axis is causing problems. When I open the same file up on any other computer with the same Exce version it works fine, the problem only appears on my laptop which i only 2 months old. Is there some way of changing ...

Line & Double Stacked Charts
Good day. I am trying to get a Double stacked chart to show a line. I can get the line by creating a secondary Axis however the line isnt where I want it. It is at the top of the tallest bar. Is there any way to get the line down to a value I want it at. Basically I am trying to create a capacity chart with two products running on one machine by month. I need the line to be at a value that is straight accross being the maximum machine capacity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks "K" wrote: > Good day. I am trying to get a Double stacked chart to show a line...

Simple? pie chart
Hi I have data like this customer food service ---------------------------- john excellent good mary excellent excellent david fair fair diane good good jim poor fair I want to create one pie chart for food (and one for service) that hows what % of customer rated the food (service, resp.) as excellent/good/fair/poor. Seems pretty simple, but naturally it's not. Set up a table with the ratings in the firs column, and the categories across the top: Food Service poor fair good excellent In the first cell under food (G2 in thi...

ADDING A NUMBER

Output intersection of table
Hi, I have TableA of data which needs checking row by row. TableB on a different sheet contains the values which need to be output. In TableA need to check Col A and then the value in Col C and return the intersecting value from TableB into Col D (in TableA). e.g TableA: ColA ColB ColC ColD Blue Man Car Red Auto Truck TableB: Red Blue Black Car 9 5 2 Truck 7 4 3 Therefore: In Row1 in TableA the value in ColD needs to be 5. In Row2 in TableA the value in ColD needs to be 7. thanks in advance, Hamish --- Message posted from http:...

When adding attachments...

Area chart Disappears
Hi, i've a created graph with a combination of Line Chart & Area Chart. Everything is fine, but when I post it in my company's intranet server and somebody tries to open it, the Area Chart simply disappears and they only see the Line chart in that graph!! I tried to open from several different computers but still the same. As I mentioned, if I open it from my computer it works fine. HELP ! If you are using a PDF program to post the charts, check to make sur your title bars aren't even close to the chart area. There has to b space between them. Hope this helps -- T...

adding new records

print 2 or 4 charts per page in excel 2000
Hi, I have created a number of one page charts, each of which are located as seperate sheets in one excel workbook. I would now like to print 2 or 4 charts per page. However, I am unable to do so. Do you know of automated way which would allow this to be done. Your help would be appreciated. Regards, Ashish Ashish - The easiest way to do this would be to embed your charts in one or more worksheets: right click on the chart, choose Location, then pick As Object and select a sheet from the list. Then size and position them so two or four charts fit into a printed page of the workshee...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

Conditional Colors for Charts #2
Hello, I have on a sheet with several graphs and I would like to execute the procedure below automatically. In advance thank you for the assistance Yves Sub ColorColumns() Dim vntValues As Variant Dim intSeries As Integer Dim intPoint As Integer With ActiveChart For intSeries = 1 To .SeriesCollection.Count With .SeriesCollection(intSeries) vntValues = .Values For intPoint = 1 To .Points.Count If vntValues(intPoint) < 60 Then ..Points(intPoint).Interior.Color = vbRed ElseIf vntValues(intPoint) >= 60 And vntValues(intPoint) < 80 Then ..Points(intPoint).Interior.Color = vbYellow E...

find duplicated lines in excel sheet
I have an excel sheet with text column. I wish to find and remove some duplicated lines. How can I do it? If I can do it with Excel? I've tried google for this task and found freeware tool for finding duplicated - http://www.aks-labs.com/support/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69 it was good for my task, but if I can do something better with Excel? Thank you! You could use conditional formatting for the column with duplicates. http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#DupColumn Alan" <allangrlind@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1122245733.329829.213230@g43g2000cwa.googlegr...

Merging line of credit accounts
Is it possible to merge two separately named line of credit (LOC) accounts. They are actually the same account. I have merged two bills accounts by renaming one of them to match the other; but when I try this approach on the LOC accounts, Money 2004 tells me the second name is already in use, try a different name. I'm not sure, but you may try (AFTER backing up!) exporting the non-surviving account to QIF, then importing it and telling Money to import to the surviving account. After doing so and confirming that the transactions are all now in the intended account, delete the non...

Technical Indicator below Stock Chart
Hello, I am trying to create a stock chart including a technical indicator or spoken more generally, I have two time series and I would like to graph one line below the other line. (I do not want to have two y-axis!) Basically I would like to have two charts below each other like you can see it on any stock chart including an indicator on various websites. Does anyone have an idea how I can handle that? Cheers Andreas Vester Andreas - If you want two stock charts (HLC), you need to put the second onto secondary axes, or fake the hi-lo lines with error bars. If it's just adding a re...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

how to draw flowing chart in Excel
How do I draw flow chart in Excel? I am drawing programming flow chart. Do I have any tools or templates available? Thank you. Open the Drawing toolbar (View>Toolbars>Drawing) On the Drawing toolbar, select AutoShapes>Flowchart Click on a shape to activate it Point to the worksheet, and drag diagonally, to draw the shape. agy wrote: > How do I draw flow chart in Excel? > I am drawing programming flow chart. > Do I have any tools or templates available? > Thank you. > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html...