Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg

How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or
line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend,
or data table?

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
thanks
tweaver

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or
>line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend,
>or data table?

Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and delete
it.

Don't use the data table, instead use the camera tool to insert a
spreadsheet range below the graph, or embed the graph above a
spreadsheet range. It's better than a data table anyway, because the
formatting is much more flexible that way.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

For the legend you can delete the entry.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/deletelegendentry.htm

The data table though you have no control over.
Have a look at this though.
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm

Cheers
Andy

TWeaver wrote:
> How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or
> line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend,
> or data table?
>
> Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
0
andy9699 (3616)
9/15/2007 2:50:32 PM
Thanks for the tip.  I was ablke to remove the control line entry within my
charts that have legends.

However, I still have a workbook with several dozen charts that have data
tables. Using the Camera to copy an image of the worksheet data table is not
an option, because I need the data to update dynamically. As I update the
source data, the chart data table needs to update without any intervention on
my part. Otherwise it will be more work than what it is worth.

Embedding these charts into worksheets seems to require quit a bit of finese
in lining up the column. Expecially whne I copy it over to a powerpoint
slide. It seems to loose a bit of the alignment.

I am curently using a cut-n-paste image of a control line and that seems to
do ok, except the line gets a bit out of alignment from time to time when I
update the chart data.
--
thanks
tweaver

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>
> >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or
> >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend,
> >or data table?
>
> Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and delete
> it.
>
> Don't use the data table, instead use the camera tool to insert a
> spreadsheet range below the graph, or embed the graph above a
> spreadsheet range. It's better than a data table anyway, because the
> formatting is much more flexible that way.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
TWeaver (2)
9/18/2007 4:24:03 PM
The camera tool pictures are dynamic, but after you have a dozen or so, they
slow way down. Put the table in regular cells adjacent to the chart.

For your control lines, use something like this:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"TWeaver" <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the tip.  I was ablke to remove the control line entry within
> my
> charts that have legends.
>
> However, I still have a workbook with several dozen charts that have data
> tables. Using the Camera to copy an image of the worksheet data table is
> not
> an option, because I need the data to update dynamically. As I update the
> source data, the chart data table needs to update without any intervention
> on
> my part. Otherwise it will be more work than what it is worth.
>
> Embedding these charts into worksheets seems to require quit a bit of
> finese
> in lining up the column. Expecially whne I copy it over to a powerpoint
> slide. It seems to loose a bit of the alignment.
>
> I am curently using a cut-n-paste image of a control line and that seems
> do ok, except the line gets a bit out of alignment from time to time when
> update the chart data.
> --
> thanks
> tweaver
>

> "Del Cotter" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
>> TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>
>> >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel
>> >bar or
>> >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart
>> >legend,
>> >or data table?
>>
>> Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and delete
>> it.
>>
>> Don't use the data table, instead use the camera tool to insert a
>> spreadsheet range below the graph, or embed the graph above a
>> spreadsheet range. It's better than a data table anyway, because the
>> formatting is much more flexible that way.
>>
>> --
>> Del Cotter
>> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How to insert an Excel landscape document into a portrait Word doc
I have a Word document in portrait style and need to insert an Excel Spreadsheet which is in landscape. Is that possible? Please clarify. Landscape and Portrait are simply print orientation in whichever document is being printed. Are you inserting a complete workbook into Word? Are you inserting a range from a worksheet into Word? Maybe you need two separate print jobs? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:57:01 -0700, Heidi <Heidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a Word document in portrait style and need to insert an Excel >Spr...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

excel formulas #2
Can someone help me with how to create a formula that looks at one cell and based upon the number in that cell (if statement) then gives me another number? example: If cell c4 contains the number 1; then how can I have cell a8 look at cell c4 and give me the number 1 (other than a link) / then have cell a9 look at cell c4 if it contains the number 2 to then give me the number 2.................... I need a formula to look at a cell that will contain a number from 1 to 5 or above and then accoridingly give me a coresponding number to reflect if that number is 1,2,3,4 or 5. Each cel...

Charting Time Samples
I have a spread sheet with a time value in hours:minutes:seconds in column A and another on column B with a value in hours:minutes:seconds. In column C is the difference betwen the two. (=TEXT(B1-A1,"h:mm:ss") with a results like this.... 0:00:48 0:00:48 0:00:48 0:00:48 0:00:50 0:00:48 0:00:50 0:00:52 0:00:52 0:00:57 0:00:58 0:00:58 0:00:58 0:00:58 0:00:58 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:00 0:01:02 0:01:02 0:00:04 0:00:04 0:00:04 0:00:04 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:06 0:00:25 0:00:25 0:00:25 0:03:25 0:00:27 How do I chart these time samp...

Looking for a charting control
Hi all, I am looking for a professional quality charting control. Current requirements are Bar charts and Pie Charts, but this might change in the near feature to include more complex data types using Line charts (smooth and normal), area charts (stacked), point or radar charts. I haven't been able to find a good one yet. I found this put the documentation is not adequite. http://www.nevron.com/Charting.aspx?nav=ChartNav&content=Chart Any suggestions? AliR. I've used a system called ProEssentials5. I built a thin C++ wrapper around their types and I've done a number of g...

Button Control calling CFormView #2
hi everyone, I Have a CFormview (FormB) that has a button. When this button is click, It will call another CFormView (FormA). How to do it? I am using VC++ 6.0. Newbie & Noobie wrote: > hi everyone, > > I Have a CFormview (FormB) that has a button. When this button is click, It > will call another CFormView (FormA). > > How to do it? I am using VC++ 6.0. I assume you have created your project with the aid of the class wizard from the IDE. if you double click your button in the resource editor class wizard should suggest a click handler method for your button. Within...

A Word Macro to VLookup a Range in Excel
Hi, With a combination of VLOOKUP and MATCH formulas in Excel I'm able to grab a cell's value from a multi-row, multi-column range. But I can do this only from within Excel. The formulas look like these: =IF($H$4="",0,VLOOKUP($H$4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF($I$4="","REG",$I$4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0)*IF($J$4="","1",$J$4)) and =IF(H4="",0,(VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH("REG",$A$1:$E$1,0),0)-VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF(I4="","REG",I4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0))*IF(J4="","1",J4...

Access an excel file through FTP without write protection
Hi experts I placed a question yesterday - approximately 28 hours ago - nobody have reacted on it - please tell me if you don't understand my question because my English is to bad. thanks jj ...

Simple Template excel for Books
I need free Excel Template for my list of reading Books, Thanks "=?Utf-8?B?c2FtLWM=?=" <samc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:8084980B-1561-4FD2-8EDD-1ED87A945CA7@microsoft.com: > I need free Excel Template for my list of reading Books, Thanks > Have a look here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011356681033.aspx -- It is I, DeauDeau (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo) ...

Reports only Show 10 Records
I notice that when you run a lot of the reports (eg Account Overview) there is only a maximum of ten records returned. This appears to be hardcoded as the report also states the fact in the footer. Any way around this? If the filter used on the report actually referred to, for instance, 25 Accounts how would you get all 25 reports? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks Cozy export that report to its rdl file and take a look through the reports source code which might tell you. Also make sure you also export any of its sub reports. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsof...

Excel Sort
I'm having trouble getting data sorted for an entire year's worth of data. If I highlight the entire year, it won't sort. A box pops up saying "this operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized." What is happening? Don't use merged cells in the sort. I strongly recommend never to use merged cells, you can basically get the same layout in most cases and down the road you will avoid headaches -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "EJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54ae01c3e505$8378b8f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >...

Line & Double Stacked Charts
Good day. I am trying to get a Double stacked chart to show a line. I can get the line by creating a secondary Axis however the line isnt where I want it. It is at the top of the tallest bar. Is there any way to get the line down to a value I want it at. Basically I am trying to create a capacity chart with two products running on one machine by month. I need the line to be at a value that is straight accross being the maximum machine capacity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks "K" wrote: > Good day. I am trying to get a Double stacked chart to show a line...

Is there a way to insert photos into excel at a specific size?
I need to insert multiple photos into an excel spreadsheet and would like to know if there is a fast way to resize the photos to the same size. Can it be inserted at a predesignated size to prevent from having to size each individual photo? Maybe you could start with this: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3E1F6985.69EF880%40msn.com (watch out for line wrap in the first response--it's discussed in the later posts.) srvwannabe wrote: > > I need to insert multiple photos into an excel spreadsheet and would like to > know if there is a fast way to resize the photos to t...

A2007 Export to Excel
I have the following code....which works perfectly in A2003, and works if Im opening a A2003 in A2007...but if I try to run it in a pure A2007 database it craps out. Here is the code: Dim xlApp As Excel.Application Dim xlSheet As Excel.Worksheet Dim xlWorkbook As Excel.Workbook Dim objRST As Recordset Dim strQueryName As String Dim strSheetName As String strQueryName = "ExcelStatus" strSheetName = Me.Status Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") xlApp.Visible = True Set xlWorkbook = xlApp.Workbooks.Add Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qdf As DAO...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

Area chart Disappears
Hi, i've a created graph with a combination of Line Chart & Area Chart. Everything is fine, but when I post it in my company's intranet server and somebody tries to open it, the Area Chart simply disappears and they only see the Line chart in that graph!! I tried to open from several different computers but still the same. As I mentioned, if I open it from my computer it works fine. HELP ! If you are using a PDF program to post the charts, check to make sur your title bars aren't even close to the chart area. There has to b space between them. Hope this helps -- T...

Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000
I have a document that is password protected. I also have a file that references the protected files for many of the its formulas. Each time I open the file and update the links I am prompted multiple times (once for each cell reference to the protected file) for the password. Is there any setting so that a user is only prompted once for the password to a reference file that is protected? I know that one option is just to copy the tabs from my referencing file into the protected file, but it would be nice to keep the documents separate. Thanks, Andrew One option might be to disable th...

When adding attachments...

Excel file size increased 3 times after saving!!!!
Hi all, I have a very strange situation with my Excel workbook. I created Excel workbook with conditional formulas (no other formulas) which total size is 3 Mb. After I put simple data for calculation and saved the workbook the size increased to 10Mb! The data itself is just about 70Kb. I use Excel 2002 at work. I should put this workbook on our company server, but our network is not very good and people can't open it because of the 10MB. I have never seen this before! Can somebody help please? Thank you in advance! I don't claim to be an expert on Excel by any...

How do I create a mail merge document in Excel? Is it possible?
I have a form I would like to add mail merge fields to. Does anyone know how to do that? Plbowles, I would use word for the merge, For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source have a look here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm A training tutorial for creating envelopes and labels. http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010390291033 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any re...

Classes within a control
HI, can anyone help me out here. I have used an activex (SSUltraGridControl) control on a dialog and I then added a member variable of type CSSUltraGridControl. At this point I selected the classes within the control that I required. I now wish to utalise the CSSSelected class (which was not originally chosen) within the control and I do not know how to get it into my project. I have tried creating another project and included the entire CSSUltraGridControl classes in it and then copy the SSSelected.h and SSSelected.cpp files into my working direcotry etc by I get an error saying ...

Inbox doesn't show new emails in Outlook 2007
When I am looking in the Inbox and new emails arrive they don't appear although the number of unread emails in the Inbox increases. I have to select another folder and then return to the Inbox to see the new emails. -- Peter Saxton from London peter@petersaxton.co.uk What kind of email account? Do you have any anti-virus Outlook plugin disabled, especially AVG's? Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "peter@petersaxton.co.uk" <peter@petersaxton.co.uk> wrote in message news:f9vb82hg7m14to2ep3pr3qkh761bbo0k3d@4ax.com: > When I am looking in the Inbo...