add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart

I need to add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart.  The
high/low/close values are unique, and each one corresponds with one of
the stacked bars.  they should be on the same y-axis

Or I can add points next to each column of my stacked column chart and
then add custom error bars to those points.  Either way will work, but
I can't figure out how to do either of these options.

Thanks

0
Tammy1 (3)

Do you have a bunch of stacked bars, and you're showing the HLC for each?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

<Tammy@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message
>I need to add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart.  The
> high/low/close values are unique, and each one corresponds with one of
> the stacked bars.  they should be on the same y-axis
>
> Or I can add points next to each column of my stacked column chart and
> then add custom error bars to those points.  Either way will work, but
> I can't figure out how to do either of these options.
>
> Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/9/2007 1:26:35 AM
Yes, that's correct.   But the HLC values are not the values of the
stacked bars, I have unique HLC values for each stacked bar that I
want to show for each, for a comparison.
Tammy

On Jun 8, 7:26 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> Do you have a bunch of stacked bars, and you're showing the HLC for each?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <T...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> >I need to add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart.  The
> > high/low/close values are unique, and each one corresponds with one of
> > the stacked bars.  they should be on the same y-axis
>
> > Or I can add points next to each column of my stacked column chart and
> > then add custom error bars to those points.  Either way will work, but
> > I can't figure out how to do either of these options.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Tammy1 (3)
6/10/2007 6:42:12 PM
Not sure exactly how it should look, but I'll take a stab.

Assuming something like this for your stacked columns, where A-D are four
series, and a-g are the category labels.

   A  B  C  D
a  3  3  6  5
b  3  3  4  5
c  6  6  3  3
d  3  6  4  3
e  4  4  4  3
f  3  3  4  4
g  5  4  6  3

There's the stacked column chart. Suppose the HLC looks like this:

        H      L      C      Up    Down
1.33  17.49  13.33  15.74   1.74   2.42
2.33  10.69   6.92   8.36   2.33   1.44
3.33  17.47   3.28  15.40   2.07  12.12
4.33  14.64   5.36  12.84   1.80   7.47
5.33  14.39   6.66   7.14   7.25   0.48
6.33  13.77  11.95  13.03   0.74   1.08
7.33  15.29   3.05   5.02  10.28   1.96

where Up is high minus close and Down is close minus low, for the error bar
values. The 1.33, 2.33, etc are the category values for the Close series,
which will be added as an XY series. Values of 1, 2, 3 would coincide
exactly with the columns, so I've added 0.33 to offset them to the right.
Copy the 1.33, 2.33 column and the Close column (hold Ctrl to select the
second area), select the chart, and use paste special from the Edit menu to
add the data as a new series, categories in first row. It's added as a new
stacked column.

Select the new series, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and change this to an
XY type, markers without lines. Double click this new series, and on the
Axis tab, choose Primary, then hit Enter. Now you see how the 1.33, 2.33,
etc., lines up. Double click the series again, go to the Y error bars tab.
Select Custom, click in the Custom (+) box and select the Up column with the
mouse, then click in the Custom (-) box and select the Down column. Format
the error bars to hide the end caps (if desired).

- Jon
-------

> Yes, that's correct.   But the HLC values are not the values of the
> stacked bars, I have unique HLC values for each stacked bar that I
> want to show for each, for a comparison.
> Tammy
>
> On Jun 8, 7:26 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> Do you have a bunch of stacked bars, and you're showing the HLC for each?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <T...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

>> >I need to add high/low/close lines to a stacked column chart.  The
>> > high/low/close values are unique, and each one corresponds with one of
>> > the stacked bars.  they should be on the same y-axis
>>
>> > Or I can add points next to each column of my stacked column chart and
>> > then add custom error bars to those points.  Either way will work, but
>> > I can't figure out how to do either of these options.
>>
>> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/11/2007 3:58:01 AM
that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you very much Jon!

On Jun 10, 9:58 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> Not sure exactly how it should look, but I'll take a stab.
>
> Assuming something like this for your stacked columns, where A-D are four
> series, and a-g are the category labels.
>
>    A  B  C  D
> a  3  3  6  5
> b  3  3  4  5
> c  6  6  3  3
> d  3  6  4  3
> e  4  4  4  3
> f  3  3  4  4
> g  5  4  6  3
>
> There's the stacked column chart. Suppose the HLC looks like this:
>
>         H      L      C      Up    Down
> 1.33  17.49  13.33  15.74   1.74   2.42
> 2.33  10.69   6.92   8.36   2.33   1.44
> 3.33  17.47   3.28  15.40   2.07  12.12
> 4.33  14.64   5.36  12.84   1.80   7.47
> 5.33  14.39   6.66   7.14   7.25   0.48
> 6.33  13.77  11.95  13.03   0.74   1.08
> 7.33  15.29   3.05   5.02  10.28   1.96
>
> where Up is high minus close and Down is close minus low, for the error bar
> values. The 1.33, 2.33, etc are the category values for the Close series,
> which will be added as an XY series. Values of 1, 2, 3 would coincide
> exactly with the columns, so I've added 0.33 to offset them to the right.
> Copy the 1.33, 2.33 column and the Close column (hold Ctrl to select the
> second area), select the chart, and use paste special from the Edit menu to
> add the data as a new series, categories in first row. It's added as a new
> stacked column.
>
> Select the new series, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and change this to an
> XY type, markers without lines. Double click this new series, and on the
> Axis tab, choose Primary, then hit Enter. Now you see how the 1.33, 2.33,
> etc., lines up. Double click the series again, go to the Y error bars tab.
> Select Custom, click in the Custom (+) box and select the Up column with the
> mouse, then click in the Custom (-) box and select the Down column. Format
> the error bars to hide the end caps (if desired).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <T...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> > Yes, that's correct.   But the HLC values are not the values of the
> > stacked bars, I have unique HLC values for each stacked bar that I
> > want to show for each, for a comparison.
> > Tammy
>
> > On Jun 8, 7:26 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Do you have a bunch of stacked bars, and you're showing the HLC for each?
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <T...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

Tammy1 (3)
6/11/2007 3:45:14 PM
Good guess, then.

- Jon
-------

> that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you very much Jon!
>
> On Jun 10, 9:58 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> Not sure exactly how it should look, but I'll take a stab.
>>
>> Assuming something like this for your stacked columns, where A-D are four
>> series, and a-g are the category labels.
>>
>>    A  B  C  D
>> a  3  3  6  5
>> b  3  3  4  5
>> c  6  6  3  3
>> d  3  6  4  3
>> e  4  4  4  3
>> f  3  3  4  4
>> g  5  4  6  3
>>
>> There's the stacked column chart. Suppose the HLC looks like this:
>>
>>         H      L      C      Up    Down
>> 1.33  17.49  13.33  15.74   1.74   2.42
>> 2.33  10.69   6.92   8.36   2.33   1.44
>> 3.33  17.47   3.28  15.40   2.07  12.12
>> 4.33  14.64   5.36  12.84   1.80   7.47
>> 5.33  14.39   6.66   7.14   7.25   0.48
>> 6.33  13.77  11.95  13.03   0.74   1.08
>> 7.33  15.29   3.05   5.02  10.28   1.96
>>
>> where Up is high minus close and Down is close minus low, for the error
>> bar
>> values. The 1.33, 2.33, etc are the category values for the Close series,
>> which will be added as an XY series. Values of 1, 2, 3 would coincide
>> exactly with the columns, so I've added 0.33 to offset them to the right.
>> Copy the 1.33, 2.33 column and the Close column (hold Ctrl to select the
>> second area), select the chart, and use paste special from the Edit menu
>> add the data as a new series, categories in first row. It's added as a
>> new
>> stacked column.
>>
>> Select the new series, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and change this to
>> an
>> XY type, markers without lines. Double click this new series, and on the
>> Axis tab, choose Primary, then hit Enter. Now you see how the 1.33, 2.33,
>> etc., lines up. Double click the series again, go to the Y error bars
>> tab.
>> Select Custom, click in the Custom (+) box and select the Up column with
>> the
>> mouse, then click in the Custom (-) box and select the Down column.
>> Format
>> the error bars to hide the end caps (if desired).
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <T...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

>> > Yes, that's correct.   But the HLC values are not the values of the
>> > stacked bars, I have unique HLC values for each stacked bar that I
>> > want to show for each, for a comparison.
>> > Tammy

jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Hide certain columns in range
Hi All........ I have a Range named "Months" which is B25:AW25. Each cell in that range contains a number of 1-12 standing for a month. I would like to be able to hide all columns except the Month number I choose, and the one on each side of it. For example, if I choose the month 7, then I want to hide all columns except those with a 6,7, or 8 in my range. And of course if I choose month 1, I want all except 12, 1, and 2 to be hidden, etc. TIA for any ideas Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Are your month numbers in consecutive order through the range B25:AW25 li...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

How do I change the source worksheet for 100 charts automatically.
I have a worksheet with 100 charts that source a set of five worksheets, financial forecast A. I create several forecasts (sets of 5 worksheets) and copy over worksheet with 100 charts, but the charts reference financial forecast A when I want them to source from financial forecast B. To change the chart source to financial forecast B, I now have to open each chart and change the source from A to B. Is there a way to do this automatically, similar to the edit, find, replace function for data in cells? Hi, You would need to write VBA code to do this. Given you know what the value is...

Excel Add Ins

Hiding/Unhiding several lines at the click of a button
Is there a code i could implement into my sheets to unhide or hide the same line on several sheets I want to enter the line number into a cell Press a button called either 'HIDE' or 'UNHIDE' The code selects the line number entered in the cell on all sheets and either hides or unhides them. Thanks Mally -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Mally" <mallybee69@aol.com> wrote in message news:039701c3c2e3$2f0b4ba0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a code ...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Logarithm scaling for charts
When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely useful. vroomvondel wrote: > When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in > powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling > interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200). > This is not at present p...

close mdb database from calling mdb
I have a launch center application to open other mdb files. I want to close all mdb opened by launch center when user close launch center. I would like to know is it possible to get Windows Handle ID number to identify which applicaitons opened by launch center and close them using Windows Handle ID number. I am not sure am I on the right tracke. If I am, any API function does above tasks like get Windows Handle ID Number and close the application using Windows Handle ID Number? If I am not on the right tracker, any better way to do this? Your help is great appreciated, On ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

Format text to add character

BOLD subject line in BETA or not?
Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages in email? Yes... All fields for unread are Bold Black(assuming a rule doesn' change the = color after receipt) All unread fields are Black instead of Gray. -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "paula" wrote in message news:u5FD3VmNLHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... Has the latest BETA of WLM finally addressed the issue for some of the subject line not being BOLD text as the From field from unread messages = in email? ...

Rank a Column + 1 cell from 2nd Col
I have 6 columns: A B C D E F 274 1 269 ? 279 ? 275 2 270 ? 280 ? 276 3 271 ? 281 ? 288 4 283 ? 293 ? Column B represents a simple 'Rank' of Column A In the first row of column 'D' I want the rank of the 269 in relatio to the figures in column 'A' which equals 1. I also want the rank o 270, 271 & 272 in relation to their position on Column 'A' - whic would equal 1, 1, 4 In Column 'F' I want the rank of those figures in 'E' relation to th values of column 'A'. Which would equal 4, 4, 4, 5 Any help would ...

programatically change chart
I am using powerpoint to programatically create slides displaying MS GRaph Charts. I am using .NET and C#. I am having trouble location help for this topic. My questions are: 1. I want to programatically change the direction of the Category Axis. I wish to rotate them so they are upright instead of on their side. How can I do this? objCatAxis.TickLabels.Orientation = Graph.XlTicklabelOrientationUpWard does not seem to be working. 2. I am having trouble defining colors for my charts. It seems to be happening automatically. I want to control which colors get displayed. I wish to do this pro...

Add File menu to custom toolbar

add a DC in a LegSite

How does excel note a newline (ie new line but in same cell)
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br> Have legal transcription i need to manipulate partly in excel on mac. want each cell to be one question or answer in deposition, but can't allow excel to wrap the text of the question or answer, which is typically several lines, as in depositions each line is numbered and i want to preserve the numbers matching the lines. so i would like to manually add the character/formatting in my text editor before i bring the text back into excel. <br><br>or perhaps i can write an excel macro or f...

Paste chart to word-lose bold type
When I paste my chart into msword, the bold type on the x and y axis is lost, though the title remains in bold. Kate, After copying, open Paint and paste it there. From Paint copy it again and paste it in Word. The format will remain. Regards, Jaleel "kate" wrote: > When I paste my chart into msword, the bold type on the x and y axis is lost, > though the title remains in bold. ...

How to fill the area between two lines in excel graph?
I'm trying to fill the area between 2 line graphs in excel. I need to present the two lines in different colors, plus i need to add another line in between the two lines. I tried using the "area" option in excel and while it shaded the area between the line graphs, it did not allow me to add the extra line in between. The stacked area chart is used for the fill. For the three lines, add three series of type Line. (Add them however they get added, which would be as additional area series, then select each and use Chart menu > Chart Type to convert to Line.) - Jon ---...

excel add-ons

Drawing Objects disappear from charts
My question has to do with Excel 2003 Home Basic edition. After adding a text box or lines to a chart, the objects disappear when I click outside the chart. They reappear when I then click on the chart. Also, if I move the chart, the objects appear on the worksheet. How do I "attach" the objects to the chart without Grouping them? Grouping them works, but seems cumborsome to use if I want to make changes to the format or data series. On Feb 19, 3:22 pm, Dave <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My question has to do with Excel 2003 Home Basic edition. > >...