Abstracting Error Bar Data From Charts

I have a series of charts that I build each day and mail out to
multiple recipients. Some of them would like to see the underlying
data. Rather than send the data files, I have provided them with a
macro to abstract the data from the charts they already receive, and
to set the source for the chart to that abstracted data.

Fine, except for the error bars. The charts contain custom error bars
on one series, and I'd like to abstract those from the charts too. But
I can not find the place in the object model where the data is
stored.

I know that the Chart.SeriesCollection will tell me whether there are
error bars, through the HasErrorBars property, and I know there is an
ErrorBars object, but it doesn't appear to contain the data. The Excel
help, as is invariably the case with Excel 2007, is absolutely
useless.

Anyone know how I get to this data?

--------

The full macro, in case anyone would have a use for it, is:

Option Explicit
Public Sub Extract_Data_From_Charts()
    Dim iRows As Integer
    Dim iCell As Integer
    Dim iChart As Integer
    Dim iChartObjects As Integer
    Dim iSeries As Integer
    Dim i As Integer

    Dim chtChart As ChartObject
    Dim shtSheet As Object

    Dim strSheetName As String

    Dim X As Object

    iChart = 1
    While iChart <= ActiveWorkbook.Charts.Count
' Calculate the number of rows of data.
        Set shtSheet = ActiveWorkbook.Charts(iChart)
        For iChartObjects = 1 To shtSheet.ChartObjects.Count
            Set chtChart = shtSheet.ChartObjects(iChartObjects)
            iRows = UBound(chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).Values)
            strSheetName = shtSheet.Name
            Worksheets.Add.Move After:=shtSheet
            i = InStrRev(strSheetName, "Chart")
            If i > 28 Then
                i = 28
            End If
            If i = 0 Then
                strSheetName = Left(strSheetName, 28) & " " &
iChartObjects
            Else
                strSheetName = Left(strSheetName, i - 1) & "(" &
iChartObjects & ")"
            End If
            ActiveSheet.Name = strSheetName
            Worksheets(strSheetName).Cells(1, 1) = "X Values"

' Write x-axis values to worksheet.
'''            For iSeries = 1 To
shtsheet.ChartObjects(iChartObjects).Chart.SeriesCollection.Count
            With Worksheets(strSheetName)
                .Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(iRows + 1, 1)) = _

Application.Transpose(chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues)
                chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues =
Worksheets(strSheetName).Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(iRows + 1, 1))
            End With

       ' Loop through all series in the chart and write their values
       ' the worksheet.
            iCell = 2
            For Each X In chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection
                Worksheets(strSheetName).Cells(1, iCell) = X.Name

                With Worksheets(strSheetName)
                    .Range(.Cells(2, iCell), .Cells(iRows + 1, iCell))
= Application.Transpose(X.Values)
                    X.Values =
Worksheets(strSheetName).Range(.Cells(2, iCell), .Cells(iRows + 1,
iCell))
                    iCell = iCell + 1
                End With
            Next
        Next iChartObjects
        iChart = iChart + 1
    Wend
End Sub

0
ubik (13)

When creating a chart manually, one has the option of specifying the error bar type and amounts
(where applicable).
The error bar types available are:   fixed values, percentage, standard deviation, standard error or
a custom value.
I would just note on your spreadsheet that the Error bars are calculated using 2 standard deviations
(what ever you specify).
That should be sufficient for most.
Excel, of course, can separately calculate StdDev or StdErr for a series of values if that was
necessary.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

On Mar 26, 4:47=A0am, "Jim Cone" <james.cone...@comcast.netXxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > =A0 =A0Dim i As Integer
>
> > =A0 =A0Dim chtChart As ChartObject
> > =A0 =A0Dim shtSheet As Object
>
> > =A0 =A0Dim strSheetName As String
>
> > =A0 =A0Dim X As Object
>
> > =A0 =A0iChart =3D 1
> > =A0 =A0While iChart <=3D ActiveWorkbook.Charts.Count
> > ' Calculate the number of rows of data.
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Set shtSheet =3D ActiveWorkbook.Charts(iChart)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0For iChartObjects =3D 1 To shtSheet.ChartObjects.Count
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Set chtChart =3D shtSheet.ChartObjects(iChartObj=
ects)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0iRows =3D UBound(chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection=
(1).Values)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0strSheetName =3D shtSheet.Name
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Worksheets.Add.Move After:=3DshtSheet
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0i =3D InStrRev(strSheetName, "Chart")
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0If i > 28 Then
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0i =3D 28
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0End If
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0If i =3D 0 Then
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0strSheetName =3D Left(strSheetName, 28) =
& " " &
> > iChartObjects
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Else
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0strSheetName =3D Left(strSheetName, i - =
1) & "(" &
> > iChartObjects & ")"
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0End If
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0ActiveSheet.Name =3D strSheetName
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Worksheets(strSheetName).Cells(1, 1) =3D "X Valu=
es"

> > ' Write x-axis values to worksheet.
> > ''' =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0For iSeries =3D 1 To
> > shtsheet.ChartObjects(iChartObjects).Chart.SeriesCollection.Count
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0With Worksheets(strSheetName)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0.Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(iRows + 1, 1=
)) =3D _

> > Application.Transpose(chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection(1).XValu=
es =3D
> > Worksheets(strSheetName).Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(iRows + 1, 1))
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0End With
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Loop through all series in the chart and write their valu=
es
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 ' the worksheet.
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0iCell =3D 2
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0For Each X In chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Worksheets(strSheetName).Cells(1, iCell)=
 =3D X.Name

> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0With Worksheets(strSheetName)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0.Range(.Cells(2, iCell), .Cells(=
iRows + 1, iCell))
> > =3D Application.Transpose(X.Values)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0X.Values =3D
> > Worksheets(strSheetName).Range(.Cells(2, iCell), .Cells(iRows + 1,
> > iCell))
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0iCell =3D iCell + 1

Doesn't help at all, I'm afraid. I said in the original posting that I
was using CUSTOM error bars, which are quartiles generated from a SAS
program. There's no way that I can ask the user to figure the actual
values out for themselves.

All I need to know is where in the object model I can find the data
that goes into the error bars. It patently has to be there, just as
the individual series have to be there, as the recipients see it
without access to the original source files. But it's probably off in
some obscure corner of the model, as so much of Excel appears to be.
But the help tells me all the stuff I don't need to know - mostly
formatting stuff I don't care about - and NOTHING about the data
content. "Microsoft" and "help" appear to be two words that just don't
belong in the same sentence any more. Sad.
0
ubik (13)

Validation Error 311
If I tender a Work Order to a customer account, I receive the following error message: Validation Error 311: The amount for this tender can not exceed the purchase amount The amount being tendered is exactly the same as the purchase amount. I am able to use any other tender type with Work Orders except for 'Store Account'. I don't get this error with quotes or regular transactions, only with Work Orders. Please help! Thanks, Paul Arenson Anderson Plywood Sales Culver City, CA Paul, Do you have the prevent over tendering turned on in the manager's program? This ...

backup error
Hi, I have the following problem on an Exchange Server 5.5 system running on NT4: I am unable to make an online backup of Exchange Server Information Store or Directory using NTBACKUP. NTBACKUP is started while logged in, so not by a scheduled task. The error in the eventlog is: Microsoft Exchange services returned 'Access is denied'. from a call to 'BackupPrepare()'additional data'<servername>' EventID: 8010 The account I am logged in to has Service Account Admin permissions on organization, site, server and about any permission tab there is. Background ...

HELP- Copy a Data Series to Other Graphs? #2
Hi- I'm using Excel 2002 and I've got a lot of XY (Scatter) graphs. When I add a new data series to one graph, it is defined by 3 values (Name, X Value and Y Value) If I want to add this data series to 7 or 8 add'l graphs, I know that I can copy/paste these 3 values to each of them. Is there a simpler way to accomplish this? thnx ...

Recurrence Error
Every time I start up Outlook (Outlook 2003 running under XP) I get the following error message. How can I make it go away? "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment." Thanks, Neill Dumont -- Wayfarer Journeys: http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/contact.asp Try using the /cleanreminders switch when you next start Outlook. Start->run->outlook.exe /cleanreminders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to th...

VBA- Error
Hi: I get "Subscript out of Range Error when I run this code - any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dim CapSheetName(2) As String CapSheetName(0) = "Capitalized Expenditures_Hrs" CapSheetName(1) = "Capitalized Expenditures_%" For Each CapName In CapSheetName If sheets(CapName).Visible = True Then sheets(CapName).Activate ActiveSheet.Visible = False End If Next Dipsy, The loop is going around three times, for array items 0, 1, and 2. On 2, it fails trying to...

Reporting Servicesd Error
My reports have sudden stoped loading with the error:- Failed to load expression host assembly. Details: StrongName cannot have an empty string for the assembly name. (rsProcessingError) Anybody got any ideas? Running on SBS2003SP2. They were working fine yesterday, nothing has been changed. Fixed it by running a repair on the CRM installation. Still cannot find a cause. "ril" wrote: > My reports have sudden stoped loading with the error:- > > Failed to load expression host assembly. Details: StrongName cannot have an > empty string for the assembly name. (rsP...

How do I sort data in a sharepoint table?
I have a list in sharepoint that I want to sort by date. The info I insert is not inserted by date. Its randomly inserted and I want to later sort it by date. Is it possible to sort and save the data that way. I can click on the date colum and hit assending but it always returns to the version not sorted by date. Please help this is driving me mad! Thanks -- Jean Have you tried creating a view? In the specification for the view, you can set the sort field(s). --rms www.rmschneider.com Jean wrote: > I have a list in sharepoint that I want to sort by ...

FRX Printing Error
I am running FRX in a Citrix environment and can access FRX as an application or through Great Plains. When trying to print a report in FRX when it has been opened as a single application I get the error "Couldn't get printer information. Make sure you have a default printer." When I try to change the printer, I get the error, "Error: ). Occurred in: PrintCommonDialog()". I can only print and change the printer if I open FRX within Great Plains. Any suggestions on how to be able to print in both places. None of the other 5 users using FRX in Citrix have th...

Integration Manager
I have created an integration that works fine, which pulls records from an MS Access database. After the integration runs, I want to write back to the record in Access, updating the record's check box, showing that the item was integrated. I pulled the script out of the script library for the "Marking Source Records As Integrated", but changing the info relevant to my database. The code is as follows: ' Added by the IM Script Library ' Category: General Purpose Scripts ' Script Type: After Document Script 'Build a string containing the SQL statement: ...

How do I merge 2 Excel files, each with different names and data?.
How can I merge two or more Excel files into one file? Each file currently has a different name and different data. Thanks.....Chem303 Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Chem303" <Chem303@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8D2A1E82-FBF8-456F-9E67-FEEEB1E9D30E@microsoft.com... > How can I merge two or more Excel files into one file? Each file > currently > has a different name and different data. Thanks.....Chem303 I also need to do this. I have one spreadsheet with a list of names I need labels for and a...

Odd DNS Error Message
This is very strange. I have a newly purchased Windows-7 system and there is a particular internet site that I have to click on TWICE to access. I have a shortcut for the site set up, and when I click on the icon the first time during an IE browser session, I ALWAYS get this message: "DNS Error - Server cannot be found". When I click on the icon a second time, it connects with no problem. As long as the browser window is open, I can then connect and reconnect to this site all I want with no problem. If I don't use the icon and just type in the site into IE, th...

CRM 4.0 upgrade errors
Hi all, We have just upgraded (successfully) to CRM 4.0 but we're receiving a few errors on client upgrades so I wanted to ask if someone has a solution: - For a user the upgrade was successful but she gets a pop up to open/ save "Blank.aspx" whenever she clicks on any CRM link or Advanced Find; otherwise it works fine. - For another, upgrade fails with the error "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized." Thank you and happy holidays. ...

3075 Error Trying to search for key word in a comments field.
OK so here is where I am and what I am trying to do next. Where I am. I have my Visual Basic code tied into the OK command button. I have a Form to search through my data and only put the requested information in a query. So far I have all of this working fine. I have the code clear the query each time it is used and repopulate the querry with the new choices.(The Where From etc...) The Problem with what I am trying to do next. It has been decided that there needs to be a comments column. They then what the option to search for a key word in the column to define the results. The...

Get Runtime Error or Server Error in '/' Application
All of a sudden, we receive a Runtime Error or Server Error in '/'Application when trying to save changes to any data in CRM. Cannot log cases, new data, or changes to any existing Accounts, Cases, etc. Any ideas? I have tried rebooting server, stopping and restarting all CRM services, and have refreshed the link to the Server in the Deployment Manager. Hi Michele, have you turned on dev errors and checked the application event log? Mike ------------ Greaterthantwo Media http://www.greaterthantwo.com Coming Soon: Send bulk email templates with file attachments from Outlo...

Entry Point Error WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?? FIX??
This pops up when I open my outlook 2003 for XP CiceroUIWnd Frame: OUTLOOK.EXE-Entry Point Not Found X The procedure entry point_GetIUMS@4 could not be located in the dynamic library MSDART.DLL. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN I checked on Microsoft's DLL Helpbase (you may need to fix the wrap on the link below to use it): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&SD=TECH&FR=0 and I found that the MSDART.DLL is: Microsoft Data Access - OLE DB Runtime Routines Not much help, but definately something to do with a database... Then I looked...

Bar Chart Formatting
Is there any way to increase the width of one bar but not the others? I’m actually looking to make the bars increase in width with the X axis as the Y access increases their height. The only thing I’ve found is to increase all the bars uniformly. If you widen the bars as they grow in height, you will be presenting people with a quandary: Is the bar height the chart feature than encodes the data, or is it the bar area. To minimize misinterpretation and confusion, you should not use variable widths. If you want to highlight one or two bars, show them in a different color. - Jon ----...

Outlook 2003 RPC Config error
Has anybody seen this error using Outlook 2003 & Exchange2k? "A system component, RPC, required by Outlook to connect to the e-mail server is not configured properly. For more information, contact your system administrator." This is occuring on a single PC (right now), with serveral other PCs working without a hitch (also using O2k3.) We have not noticed any other problems with this PC. Paul Never mind. I found the answer by modifying my search of this newsgroup. Thanks. Paul >-----Original Message----- >Has anybody seen this error using Outlook 2003 & &...

What's the file size limit for importing excel sheet data into CRM ?
Dear All, I have a client who wants to import huge amounts of data into the CRM database. I would like to know the file size limit for Excel sheets for importing data. 1. Total size of import ( if any ) 2. Limit of file size every time a file is imported . -- Thanks and Regards Mohit Jairath 91 - 9818375383 " Hard work conquers all " Dont know if there is a hard limit however I have imported 25000 records or a 25000 line csv file with no issues ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "shareaburger" <mohit...

Archive Issue/Error
When tring to archive from the Inbox, I receive the following message -- "Error while archiving folder "inbox" in store "Mailbox-UserName." Some items could not be copied. They were either moved, deleted, or access was denied." Nothing will archive. Is there a way to resolve this? Thank you. Some questions: 1) What version of Outlook are you using? If you're using Outlook 2003, are you using the new Unicode format .PST file for your Archive file, or is it the older format from past Outlook versions? 2) What is the overall file size of your archive ...

error
occassionaly i get this message from my exchange 2000 server A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. we only have one exchange server, and there are on rules on the recipients to forward emails on any help on this really appreciated ...

different makers in one chart
I am using XY (Scatter) type chart to show the blood pressure verse age of 130 people. Untill here there is no problem and I chart shows neatly. Some of these people are male and others are female. I want to separate the gender by color or marker in the chart, so in one glance I can understand which data points belong to male and which to female? Is there any solution? Make two separate data series on your spreadsheet, and plot your chart from the two separate series. -- David Biddulph "Khoshravan" <khoshravan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OJUCQKfRIHA.1164@TK2MSFT...

Got a recurring and constant error with Outlook Tasks
Hi, I have a problem that I've ignored and tried to work around for month but I need my Outlook Tasks. Whenever I put ANY task in MS-Outlook 2002 Tasks, it rejects the save and give me the error; Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid. Trust me, I've checked over and over the parameters and all are valid. Has anyone seen this and fixed it? Regards, AJ Texas Close Outlook - then find and delete frmcache.dat. Reopen Outlook and see if it is better. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

SEARCH ERROR
Something strange has started to happen with IE8. When i put something in the search bar it has started to come up with a page full of what looks like chinese. i'm also having a problem editing the church website since the site's been upgraded. However it has been tried with IE8 on 6 other computers but won't work properly on my laptop. any ideas? Your computer is infected with malware. --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est woodstockpeace wrote: > Something strange has started to happen with IE8. When i put something in the > search bar it has started t...

How do I plot Excel data on a floorplan?
I'm trying to find a way to plot data from an Excel worksheet on a floorplan diagram. The data reflects room assignments for a hospital, so some data stays the same for days while other data changes on a twice a day basis. I want to enable someone to be able to enter the data on the worksheet and have excel output the names, etc in the proper room assignments on the floorplan automatically. The users could then print this floorplan to locate the assignments more easily. I can either scan a hardcopy of the floorplan, or I have access to Visio so I could also quickly construct a d...