A scatter plot with a 2 column data source

Hi,

I am using the Series tab (i have done a scatter plot) - i have put in 1
series of X and Y data.  then i extended the "x values" data to include two
columns of data.  the scale is now different and my graph is in 2D still, i
am wondering what relationship is now being described by my scatter plot.

Thanks
0
SamB (2)

Excel doesn't know how to interpret your two-column X values, so it uses the
values it always does when this happens: 1, 2, 3, etc. Excel uses these
counting numbers if the X values consist of text (even a single text value
in the range), or if no X values are even specified.

If you want to add X values to a single series, put them at the end of the
original range of X values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"SamB" <SamB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am using the Series tab (i have done a scatter plot) - i have put in 1
> series of X and Y data.  then i extended the "x values" data to include
> two
> columns of data.  the scale is now different and my graph is in 2D still,
> am wondering what relationship is now being described by my scatter plot.
>
> Thanks

thanks Jon.  I ended up working this out when i knocked up a new set of
values with an obvious relationship and the plot was linear.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Excel doesn't know how to interpret your two-column X values, so it uses the
> values it always does when this happens: 1, 2, 3, etc. Excel uses these
> counting numbers if the X values consist of text (even a single text value
> in the range), or if no X values are even specified.
>
> If you want to add X values to a single series, put them at the end of the
> original range of X values.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> "SamB" <SamB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using the Series tab (i have done a scatter plot) - i have put in 1
> > series of X and Y data.  then i extended the "x values" data to include
> > two
> > columns of data.  the scale is now different and my graph is in 2D still,
> > am wondering what relationship is now being described by my scatter plot.
> >
> > Thanks

0
SamB (2)
1/12/2006 10:50:02 PM
Cutting and pasting colums of data in to one colum so that Excel can figure
out what you're trying to do really breaks up the relationship of the data.
There should be some way in a scatter plot to say that there are no series,
or that all of the data is from the same series. While this may be the only
way to do it in Excel, this is the wrong solution to the problem.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Excel doesn't know how to interpret your two-column X values, so it uses the
> values it always does when this happens: 1, 2, 3, etc. Excel uses these
> counting numbers if the X values consist of text (even a single text value
> in the range), or if no X values are even specified.
>
> If you want to add X values to a single series, put them at the end of the
> original range of X values.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> "SamB" <SamB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using the Series tab (i have done a scatter plot) - i have put in 1
> > series of X and Y data.  then i extended the "x values" data to include
> > two
> > columns of data.  the scale is now different and my graph is in 2D still,
> > am wondering what relationship is now being described by my scatter plot.
> >
> > Thanks

0
jader3rd (2)
8/23/2007 4:20:04 PM
If it's all one series, why not put all the X in one column and all the Y in
the next? What's the relationship of the data that makes you want to put it
into multiple columns? Doesn't that then imply the data is in separate
series with a relationship between the series?

- Jon
-------

"jader3rd" <jader3rd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cutting and pasting colums of data in to one colum so that Excel can
> figure
> out what you're trying to do really breaks up the relationship of the
> data.
> There should be some way in a scatter plot to say that there are no
> series,
> or that all of the data is from the same series. While this may be the
> only
> way to do it in Excel, this is the wrong solution to the problem.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Excel doesn't know how to interpret your two-column X values, so it uses
>> the
>> values it always does when this happens: 1, 2, 3, etc. Excel uses these
>> counting numbers if the X values consist of text (even a single text
>> value
>> in the range), or if no X values are even specified.
>>
>> If you want to add X values to a single series, put them at the end of
>> the
>> original range of X values.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>

>> "SamB" <SamB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using the Series tab (i have done a scatter plot) - i have put in
>> > 1
>> > series of X and Y data.  then i extended the "x values" data to include
>> > two
>> > columns of data.  the scale is now different and my graph is in 2D
>> > still,
>> > am wondering what relationship is now being described by my scatter
>> > plot.
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Refresh Graph Data
Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without having to create a new graph... is this possible? Karen wrote: > Is there a way to refresh a graph's data? I am trying to graph total loans > by month and starting with November. I want to add next month's without > having to create a new graph... is this possible? > > ----------------- The technique I use is to put a colored row of cells at the bottom of the data with the message "Insert new row...

Items to Review(2) invisible
I just tried connecting to discover to update my account and it downloaded to transactions. Under the discover logo it shows when I downloaded the new balance and then 2 items to review. But in the actual register there aren't any new items. I also see in the accounts list that there are 2 transactions to read but when I click that link they still dont show. I tried C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Msmoney.exe" -s to repair but it says 'myfile.mny' is corrupted or is not a Money file. Make sure you are opening a file with a MNY extension. If you have chosen the...

scatter
Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similiar to (12.2,17233). x is in the range of 8.4-19.2 and y is 0-20000. The x axis is on the bottom and the y is on the left with x crossing y @ maximum y How does one plot this? Have you tried this? What happened? Where did you get stuck? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <98E0E92C-1444-4327-B272-BCAA25A62259@microsoft.com>, shennigan@peiinc.com says... > Assume 1000 pairs in 2 columns with values similia...

Shortcut #2
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a key in Excel for 'Repeat last Action'? Like in Word it's F4. Thanx J Yup, its F4. Or ctrl-y JB wrote: > > Hi. > Does anyone know if there is a key in Excel for 'Repeat last Action'? > Like in Word it's F4. > Thanx > J -- Dave Peterson Thanks to you both. Weird thing was F4 didn't work Never worked until I tried Dave P's suggestion, ctrl-y which worked. Then tried F4 and now that works. (gremlin in my keyboard?) Very happy now. J "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wro...

What version do I have? #2
In March, 2007, I purchased Publisher2007 at a Office Depot store. I use it for a pre-written newsletter that I customize before sending out, however I keep getting messages "cannot open files made by another version of Publisher". Finally today, the newsletter company asked me what version I have. When I clicked "Help" and "About Publisher" it says "Microsoft Publisher 2000 SR-1. Does anyone know what is going on & why it doesn't say 2007? -- cleo1151 cleo1151 wrote: > In March, 2007, I purchased Publisher2007 at a Office Depot store. ...

outlook pst #2
Hi, I have troubles with the MS PST Backup : I am using : XP Professional, Outlook 2002 SP3 Backup worked until I reorganized folders within my inbox. Since then I have the foloowing problem : when I click on the backup item in the file I cannot select any file for backup, It says that there are no perosnal folder files open However Outlook itself is working OK sending and receiving mail works. I try to reinstall the backup function. Not possible, it does not sho in the software add / delete list. When I just try to reinstall, i says remove old version first. Any hint ? I have a personal fo...

XY Scatter chart
I have a scatter chart with one PAIR of data for each of 31 business activities. For example, two data points for "Delivery," one showing the ranked importance of this activity and the the second point showing the organization's performance in this category. Unfortunately, the descriptions of these business activities are a lot longer than the above example and R. Bovey's XY Labeler results in a crowded, unreadable chart. Is there any way to name these business activities on the X Axis, at a 45 or 90 degree angle? Put the description in one column. In 2 adjacent...

Grid lines #2
How do I remove all of the grid lines outside my bordered area of data? How do I prevent shading of the cells in my area of interest from over-writing the internal grid-lines? Is there a page that discusses this subject? TIA Brian Tozer "Brian Tozer" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:bsbjse$pmu$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > How do I remove all of the grid lines outside my bordered area of data? > How do I prevent shading of the cells in my area of interest from > over-writing the internal grid-lines? > Is there a page that discusses this subject? > > TI...

2 spot colors only
I need to convert my Publisher 2002 document to spot color, maintaining black for all black text (in text boxes as well as in imported picture files - Excel charts and other TIFFs) and changing all other colors to variations/tones of a single spot color (PMS 349 - a green). According to the help file, I want to choose two spot colors - black first and a green second. I see how to modify/delete other spot colors, but although I specify only these two spot colors in the dialog box, the box below (stating which colors are used in my document) has 3 colors. According to the help file, ha...

search #2
i notice that the search facility doesnt work for dates before 2004....??? Can this be fixed - would save a lot of posts ...

Making cards --2 to a 8 1/2 x 11 page
I want to make cards to send out for memorials, etc. I want 2 cards to a page, top folded 5 1/2 x 8 1/2. What happened to the old Picture It! Publisher 2001? Do you want to make these cards in Publisher? If you do, look at page setup, folded card, tent card, width 4.25, height 5.5. Publisher will say it will print two pages per sheet -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "A Holt" <A Holt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5F75EEF-B186-4960-9AEB-AF1C678492B7@microsoft.com... >I want t...

2 Questions Importing Contacts and Auto Reponders
I ma working on an exchange server 2003 and I need to do 2 things. 1. Import contacts from a users personal address book into the global address book so that everyone has access to it??? 2. Two people have left the compnay and we want to send an auto responder telling customers these are no longer in use and that if they have any questions please email someone else for one type of question and someone else for a another type of question. How do set this up on exchange???? Ever Learning Net Admin 1. I know of no way to do this except manually. You might check http://www.slipstick.com ...

Countif
I am trying to count the occurances of time in a column e.g how many calls were received between 07:00:00 and 17:0:00 Does anyone know a formula that works for time? Hi, Supposing that the time data are in A2....A100, to count the number of calls that were received between 07:00:00 (enter this B2) and 17:00:00 (enter this in C2), and in D2 enter the following formula and click Enter. =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100>=B2)*(A2:A100<=C2)) Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "TRM" wrote: > I am trying to count the occurances of time in a column e.g how many calls > were received betwe...

All icons on my insert and data tab is greyed out
I was attempting to create a pie chart and clicked the pie chart icon. However, did not want it embedded in the same Work sheet, so I clicked on the new work sheet tab. It did not work and somehow I must have triggered something else and all icons on both my insert tab and data tab is greyed out. Hi, It sounds like you were in 2007? In that case create the chart in the spreadsheet and then right-click the border of the chart and choose Move chart. choose the New Sheet option... Regarding the grayed out items - you are in Group mode because more than one tab is selected. Right-click...

emailing from outlook #2
I can not email from my outlook 2003. I can receive and reply but when I compose an email and try to send it, it goes to the outbox and will not send...I get error 0x800ccc0f. I am very new to outlook and this point would much rather go back to outlook express that was on my other computer....It seemed much easier and user friendly....can someone help me with this problem emailing from outlook glwood, you wrote on Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:25:02 -0800: > I can not email from my outlook 2003. I can receive and reply but when I > compose an email and try to send it, it goes to the ...

scrolling a window #2
Hi, Imagine I have a CScrollView and I wish to programmatically scroll the window to the bottom (ScrollWindow SB_PAGEDOWN). How do I do this from within my CScrollView class? Posting WM_VSCROLL, or SetWindowPos() ... ? Use CScrollView::SetScrollPos(...); AliR. "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message news:edSQzFPmFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Imagine I have a CScrollView and I wish to programmatically scroll the > window to the bottom (ScrollWindow SB_PAGEDOWN). How do I do this from > within my CScrollView class? > > Posting WM_...

Importing data from multiple sources
I need to import data of members from two different sources, and then compare the data. Is there an easy way of doing this? -- Ted in Chicago You could import the data from the two sources, creating a table for each. Then, you can create a query that compares the data in the tables. "TedChicago" wrote: > I need to import data of members from two different sources, and then compare > the data. Is there an easy way of doing this? > -- > Ted in Chicago .... and as an alternative, you may be able to link to, rather than import, the data. You could ...

XML Security #2
I have a web hosting service I am paying for. I dont have privilages to change read/write permissions on XML files (or any other on a network level for that matter). Security best practice? Sean wrote: > I have a web hosting service I am paying for. I dont have privilages > to change read/write permissions on XML files (or any other on a > network level for that matter). > > Security best practice? Don't pay for a service you aren't getting? ///Peter -- XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/ ...

Columns & Passwords
Hi all, Gord Dibben of thes boards recently helped me out with some code to unlock certain columns on my spreadsheet, which works fine, but now i need an amendment...... The code below unlocks one column at a time, but i need to unlock 3 columns at a time, columns 1,2,3 and 11 and 1,2,3 and 12 respectively. I have tried creating a union, and then unlocking the columns in that union, but don't know enough and wasn't sure i was doing it correctly. I also tried .Columns(1,2,3,11) and .Columns(1),(2) etc, but again, i just can't get it! Any help would be appreciated! Priva...

Scatter and bar
Hi I have posted a screen shot of my chart here - http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs35&d=05260&f=chart.jpg I would like to know if it is possible with the chart to change the turquoise line named Digester feed mean % DS to work with the scatter chart using the secondary axis already in place as a bar mixed scatter chart? I really appreciate your comments i think the chart would look great like this. Many Thanks Rob - p.s if the image doesnt load right click and choose show picture then it should load. Select the series that you want to change to a bar chart. Right click and choos...

footnote #2
Is there any way to do a footnote in excel? ...

space #2
Hi, First Name typed in column A. However, these name are not straght in the column. Ex: Huong Nguyen Long hi, Make sure that all the cells in the column are formated the same. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >First Name typed in column A. However, these name are not >straght in the column. > Ex: Huong > Nguyen > Long > > > > >. > If the first suggestion doesn't work you may want to try this. You may have inadvertently put a blank space (by hitting the space bar) in front of the name. Put your cursor infro...

Formula to sum data from a data range
Ok here's what I need to do. My sheet contains list of transactions by date and tx number spread over several years. I am trying to automatically pull subtotals for each fiscal year out of this LONG list of data. Example: ID Date IssueAmt Sold Date 1380 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 1381 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 I need a formula that will sum the "Issue Amounts" if the "Date" falls within a particular range, ie. 11/25/1998-11/28/1999. Any help you all can give me I am extremely greatful for. I've been pulling my hair out all day today with IF, AND, and OR ...

Exchange 2003 smtp #2
Hi, I just enabled web mail on exchange 2003. I set up the relay to only accept conections from my network ip segment. I also turned on the option to filter recipients who are not in the directory. However, after setting up all these settings, when I look in my queue in the ESM (exchange system manager) i see a whole bunch of smtp connectors to domain that I do not know. eg "Ineternet Mail SMTP Connector (Server Name) - beon.be (SMTP Connector). How do I stop these? Thanks for the help, Frank Hello Frank, > queue in the ESM > How do I stop these? - You find a "...

xy scatter plot and split function clarification
I have data like this in a file. i need to draw a simple XY scatter plot, 221 -255 196 -255 191 -255 181 -255 168 -255 159 -255 151 -255 150 -255 105 -255 I opening this file and try to use split function Do Until EOF(TestFileNumber) Line Input #TestFileNumber, TempStr If TempStr = "" Then 'Do nothing Else ReDim Preserve Str2(Count) Str2 = Split((TempStr), " ") Count = Count + 1 End If but Str2 array indexes are always 0 and 1 though count increments and how do i draw the xyscatter chart whi...