A question regarding coordinates of points within a chart

Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.

Wazooli
0
Wazooli (46)

Wazooli,

Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . .

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

then, take a look at this post . . .

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/comment/635/

Referencing Jon's article, I think you will need to add the xlDataLabel
element to the event as described in the comments at pdbook.com.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Wazooli" wrote:

> Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
> accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
> coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
> on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
> I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
> contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.
>
> Wazooli
John - thanks for the response.  The only problem is my chart is embedded in
a worksheet, so I guess I will have to use a class module to setup my event
procedures.

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> Wazooli,
>
> Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . .
>
> http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221
>
> then, take a look at this post . . .
>
> http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/comment/635/
>
> Referencing Jon's article, I think you will need to add the xlDataLabel
> element to the event as described in the comments at pdbook.com.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ----------------------------
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
>

> "Wazooli" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
> > accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
> > coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
> > on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
> > I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
> > contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.
> >
> > Wazooli
0
Wazooli (46)
5/10/2005 5:04:04 PM
Wazooli -

That exercise is worked out for you in this zipped workbook:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Zips/GetXYonAnyChart.zip

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Wazooli wrote:

> John - thanks for the response.  The only problem is my chart is embedded in
> a worksheet, so I guess I will have to use a class module to setup my event
> procedures.
>
> "John Mansfield" wrote:
>

>>Wazooli,
>>
>>Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . .
>>
>>http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221
>>
>>then, take a look at this post . . .
>>
>>http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/comment/635/
>>
>>Referencing Jon's article, I think you will need to add the xlDataLabel
>>element to the event as described in the comments at pdbook.com.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>----------------------------
>>Regards,
>>John Mansfield
>>http://www.pdbook.com
>>

>>"Wazooli" wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
>>>accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
>>>coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
>>>on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
>>>I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
>>>contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.
>>>
>>>Wazooli

Create views within a form?
Hi, Is there a 3rd party product will allow I create views within a form? I am trying to create a product page under the accounts page. I prefer the page looks like a view which has columes with titles on top. The current fefult customization in CRM only alow I add tab under the account tab, and only 2 objects per row within the form. I need to create the product page has a few columes. Thanks, create a custom page using asp.net and the SDK "Mike Ling" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OIW3%23utHEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is th...

Backup question

Today's date in Chart
I created a dynamic gantt chart in Excel 2007 which changes based on the current date "=TODAY()". Is there a way to have the current date automatically appear somewhere in the produced bar chart as a "legend"? Thanks. I tested this in xl2003, so you'll have to retest... I added a textbox from the Drawing toolbar into my chart. With the textbox selected, I typed: =a1 in the formula bar Then I typed: =today() in A1 And it seemed to work ok. I changed the numberformat to other date formats and that was reflected in my textbox in the chart, too...

How to change chart legend text (Excel 2007)
How cna I change the text in a charty legend. They all say "Series1". Don't your series take their legend from a header row? --- HTH Bob Phillips "Prof Wonmug" <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote in message news:kv3pi5dlerubjclhcgmgsueg16q6pndrb5@4ax.com... > How cna I change the text in a charty legend. They all say "Series1". On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:06:46 -0000, "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@somewhere.com> wrote: > >"Prof Wonmug" <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote in message >news:kv3pi5dlerubjclhcgmgsueg16q6pn...

a question and a question

IF AND question

IE8 privacy question

Question about Paste Special

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

401K questions

If / Then Question

Pie chart source data
The "Source Data" menu item is greyed out for my pie chart. Is there any way to confirm the source of the data that is driving the pie chart? I would rahter not utilize a "trial-and-error" method. Thanks Select the chart and click on one of the wedges. In the formula bar (above the column labels), there is a formula which tells where the data came from. It looks like this: =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$6,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$6,1) where the four arguments refer to the series name, the X values (category labels), the Y values, and the plot order. More on the series f...

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7

Shortcuts for most software programs point to Windows Media Player
Many of the shortcuts that I have throughout my system (Windows Vista on a Dell Studio 1537) have suddenly started to point to Windows Media Player. If I try to open software programs through a shortcut, most open Windows Media Player. Has anyone else had this problem? It started this morning. I'm having to go into the program folder and open individual programs directly at the application. Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these Web pages. Help with malware: All MS-MVP Sites. Consider this: Whenever a new error condition appears on your ...

How do I keep excel chart "data table" formats in several workbook
I have 1 workbook with the source data that creates serveral charts. The charts have been formated to show "data tables" containing both dollars and percents. I want to take the graphs and split up to various excel workbooks. When I copy the graph tab from the source file into the new workbook, I lose the formatting on the "data tables." Is there a way to copy the graphs to new workbooks while retaining the "data table" formats? I would prefer to not have to maintain the source data within each of the workbooks. The goal is to update the source file wh...

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

Autoshapes within a chart
I want to place a transparent box behind the bars of a bar chart to denote a highlighted section of a timespan. I can get the transparent autoshape in the chart but I can't get it to move behind the bars. Can anybody help? Many thanks Renee Hi Renee, I don't think you will be able to do that. Instead have a look at Jon's example of quadrent area. You should be able to adapt this technique to give you a highlighted section. (http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html) Renee wrote: > I want to place a transparent box behind the bars of...

Metrics are not available,Microsoft Office chart control is missin
Hi, We have a user that is getting this message on his Homepage. He is on Office 2007 and has IE7. I see there are OWA components for Office 2003 and Office XP. Does he need to download another setup of Web components? Thanks, Cal, If you use the 2007 Office programs, you need to install the Office Web Components for Office 2003: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7287252C-402E-4F72-97A5-E0FD290D4B76&displaylang=en -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: www.victoriayud...