2007: Can't set axis max by date

I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for "max"
put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that as the
maximum.  I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number for the
date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog.  In previous
versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the chart axis
was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered directly into
the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to translate to
serial number for that date].

Is this a bug?  Or is this the intended behavior?  If so, why?  Its a real
hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct serial number
should be in order to enter it into the dialog.  Is there an option or a way
around this [extremely irritating] behavior?

Thank you.  tom

Tom,
I made a Line chart with dates in XL2007 and had no trouble entering a date
in the Maximum box.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"TomCon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for
>"max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that as
>the maximum.  I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number for
>the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog.  In
>previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the
>chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered
>directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to
>translate to serial number for that date].
>
> Is this a bug?  Or is this the intended behavior?  If so, why?  Its a real
> hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct serial
> number should be in order to enter it into the dialog.  Is there an option
> or a way around this [extremely irritating] behavior?
>
> Thank you.  tom

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/28/2007 3:50:09 PM
Bernard -

This works for a line chart, but not for an XY chart. I consider this a bug.
I also consider it a bug that when you click on the value in the Max box,
39175.0, the whole number isn't highlighted. The "39175" part is
highlighted, while the ".0" is not.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> Tom,
> I made a Line chart with dates in XL2007 and had no trouble entering a
> date in the Maximum box.
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "TomCon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for
>>"max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that
>>as the maximum.  I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number
>>for the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog.
>>In previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the
>>chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered
>>directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to
>>translate to serial number for that date].
>>
>> Is this a bug?  Or is this the intended behavior?  If so, why?  Its a
>> real hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct
>> serial number should be in order to enter it into the dialog.  Is there
>> an option or a way around this [extremely irritating] behavior?
>>
>> Thank you.  tom

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/1/2007 1:08:36 PM
Yes, i woudl confirm that my case is an x-y chart.  Is there any chance this
can be fixed sometime soon?  What a hassle (did not happen in XL 2003, even
with X-Y charts).
Thanks,
tom

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> Tom,
> I made a Line chart with dates in XL2007 and had no trouble entering a
> date in the Maximum box.
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "TomCon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I am finding in 2007 that if i go to the "format axis" dialog, and for
>>"max" put a date, like "5/1/07", this will not format the axis with that
>>as the maximum.  I have to [correctly] translate it to the serial number
>>for the date (in this case 39203) and enter that value into the dialog.
>>In previous versions, one could just enter the date in this dialog and the
>>chart axis was correctly formatted with the date value that you entered
>>directly into the dialog as the correct max for the axis [with no need to
>>translate to serial number for that date].
>>
>> Is this a bug?  Or is this the intended behavior?  If so, why?  Its a
>> real hassle to go back to the sheet and figure out what the correct
>> serial number should be in order to enter it into the dialog.  Is there
>> an option or a way around this [extremely irritating] behavior?
>>
>> Thank you.  tom

Publisher 2007 does not recognize printer
When attempting to print any document, page & etc from Publisher 2007 the pop up window "To print or preview a publication, at least one printer must be installed on the system" appears. The printer is installed and prints with all other programs installed on the computer including a test print. I have met with negative results with anything I have tried. There have been similar problems with Publisher 2007. What model printer do you have? There is an article here that was posted by Mark Clifton sometime back, it might be the solution you are hoping for. It is the art...

Date Add Function on Forms
I'm using access to help with workflow operations. I have a date field called "Fom 16 Signed" which is self explanatory. I then have a field called "Form 17 Due" This is due within 7 days of the above Form 16 being signed, so in access I want to create a date based on the date in an exiting field + 7 days. Dead easy in excel, but cant get round it in access. In the default value I have typed; DateAdd("d","7","[Date Form 16 Signed]") but keep getting syntax errors. I'm at my wits end, until somone mentioned these forums, so ...

Excel 97 and 2007 on same computer
How can I *re-set* Windows XP SP2 to open all of my Excel files (.xls.xlt.csv) in Excel 97 when double-clicking? I also have Office 2007 installed inorder to sample the program, but not to use as my primary office application at this time. Thanks. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture You have to re-register the particular Excel version you want to open excel files with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388/en-us -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message news:R%LSj.2715$NZ7.901@newsfe10.ams2... >...

pivot with calculated date
Hi All I have a pivot table which I want to break the data down into month and year. The data in the main spreadsheet is in day, month and year. So far I have used the Month (field) and year (field) to translate the month data within the original source file and then run the pivot table. Is it possible to do this calculation within the Pivot table - I have tried the inserting a calculated field but this will not allow me to put the drop column fields here - Any help greatly appreciated Cheers Rexmann PS I am using Excel 2003 Hi, If you put the Year field in the Row area and the M...

Document scrolling in Word 2007
I think you can get documents to automatically scroll through when you are using compare - but can you get it to do it for just one document? It would be very useful for proof reading (e.g., you can do it on Acrobat) -- Jon Morgan of Paraphrase If you have a mouse with a clickable wheel in the middle, click it on the Word document. The cursor changes to a pair of arrowheads with a dot in the middle. Drag the mouse downward very slightly, and the document will start to scroll. The farther down you drag, the faster the scrolling becomes -- and anything more than the least pos...

Word 2007 copied URL's disabled
In Vista copied links to WOR turned blue and were underlined. They became active when the Ctrl key was clicked. In Windows 7 the copied links are black and not underlined. They won't work. How can I get them to work? Word options > proofing > autocorrect options > autoformat - check the box 'internet and network paths with hyperlinks' and any other options you require. Click OK. Then either add the 'autoformat now' button to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) or click ALT+CTRL+K to autoformat the document. -- <>>< ><<> &g...

Error 553 using Outlook 2007 and Vista
Hello. I'm getting the following error using Outlook 2007 and Vista: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser) When I test the account settings, it's fine. I can recieve just fine, and the only outgoing messages without this error are for recepients with my same domain. I've turned off my antivirus and windows firewall. Still this doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 550 errors usually mean you're not authenticating properly, or you're attempting to use an SMTP server other than the one your ISP provides. ...

correct settings for sql in ms office 2007
I don't believe my SQL is starting when I open MS Office 2007. I cannot send or receive email within the program. Which insances of SQL require what settings please. I'm at my wits end. Thank you. ...

How do I set up annual "tick" marks on the horizontal axis?
I am trying to format the tick marks on the horizontal axis as years, e.g., 2000, 2001, 2002 etc. This should be easy but none of the "canned" formats let me do this. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Hi, The number format would be YYYY assuming your source for the axis are date values. If the scale is a Time series scale you can also set the Major value to 1 and unit of Years. If you need more help can you provide information on xl version, chart type, axis type, data source for axis. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andyp...

Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2007
I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook 2003. Can that be done? Is Outlook 2007 backward compatable? No. Afraid you will need to uninstall OL 2007 and then install OL 2003 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Guy" <gdelaney@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote in message news:OTykI2Q$KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook > 2003. Can...

Money 2007 payee name management
What is the best way to handle payee names and their variations? For example, I charge all of my gasoline purchases and typically fill- up at Raceway gas stations. After downloading the transactions each Raceway gas station appears with its own payee name, such as: Raceway 0001 Woodbridge Racewy 123 Edison ..... and so on I kind of like having this informatiion in the transaction register, but each one is a separate payee. At the same time I'd also like to group all of them under a single payee named Raceway. I started to use the automatic mapping of alternate payee nam...

upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2007
I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access 97 and it continues to work well. I've just received a MS Office Professional 2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new program. I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..." The help radio button opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to perform my transfer task. The easy way out, of course, is to sti...

Date/Time stamp with one stroke?
I know that you can have Excel insert the current date with CTRL + ; and the current time with CTRL + SHIFT + :. Is there some way to insert both with one command? I know it seems like a small thing, but we have a worksheet for employees to keep track of completed tasks. When they complete a given task, they need to put the date and time of completion in a specific cell. However, over the course of a day, they may be completing upwards of 250 tasks. Even lessening the time to complete the time stamp by a single set of keystrokes would be helpful. As an additional note, I did try c...

Account Statement Due Date error
When trying to print account statements for customers, the due date shows as a five digit number (an integer) instead of the actual date format. I printed one statement, which was fine (shows the due date of 3/15/2006), but the next one I printed showed 38790 instead of 3/15/2006. Can anyone tell me how to get it fixed? I've looked in the statement.xml file, but I can't see anything there to tell me how to change it back without screwing something up. Here's what I'm doing: I'm trying to edit the statement.xml file so that the columns are a little neater and show al...

Link between values on two axis
Hi, How can I create a link between values on primary and secondary Y-axis? These values should not be set manually since there are many sheets and the values will cahnge. For example, if I want that the values of left Y-axis (from 0 to 200 and from 0 to 500) are always the values of right Y-axis divided by 2 (from 0 to 400 and from 0 to 1000). If you're willing to use macros, you can link the scales to each axis to worksheet cells. Jon's site provides the code and shows how this can be done. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html -- John Mansfield...

SharePoint 2007 Alerts
Alerts on out SharePoint 2007 server have been working for well over a year. On Monday, alerts stopped coming through on our "EmployeePortal" site. Alerts do come through from the same server from the "BusinessPortal" site. - Newly created alerts do send the "You have successfully created an alert for..." message from the "EmployeePortal" site. - Alerts do come through from the same server for a different web app/site collection. - Both "EmployeePortal" and "BusinessPortal" have the same outgoing email sett...

Ribbon in 2007
Recently installed 2007 Office Pro When I open Outlook, I do not see 'Ribbon' It seems as if I have the same format of 2003. Could anyone advise me how I can see Ribbon when I open Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions, HankL The main interface of Outlook 2007 does not have a Ribbon. Outlook 2007 does have a Ribbon when you create or open any item such as creating a new email or when opening a contact. Outlook 2010 will have the Ribbon in the main interface as well. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coaut...

Access 97 Installed with 2007 Runtime
Hello. We are running Win7 with Access 97, Access 2007 Runtime and Office 2007 (without Access). When opening an mdb file with Access 97, the db opens fine. However, after closing the database, then opening an accdb file with access 2007 Runtime, I get the following error " There was a problem sending the command to the program." Immediately Access 2007 Runtime goes into the "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Access Runtime 2007" Following that, the 2007 DB opens with 2007 Runtime. How can I run both Programs and prevent the error ...

Labelling X and Y axis
I cannot label the X and Y axis in Excel. I would be grateful if any one would help. -- Thanks In EXCEL 2007 take the following action:- 1. Click somewhere in the graph. 2. Chart Tools / Layout / Labels group / Axis Titles / Primary Horizontal Axis Title / Title Below Axis 3. A box will now be placed on the X axis. Just click in the box to edit it then click anywhere outside of the box to see the effect of the change that you have just made. 4. Click somewhere in the graph. 5. Chart Tools / Layout / Labels group / Axis Titles / Primary Vertical Axis Title / ...

How to Install Accounting Express 2008 from Office 2007 Discs
Hi - how do I install Accounting Express 2008 from the Office 2007 discs? Thank you. You don't. It's not there. And, it's no longer downloadable. It's been discontinued. "tmg2010" <tmg2010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E5641E0-FC17-49FA-9410-D835286AA8B0@microsoft.com... : Hi - how do I install Accounting Express 2008 from the Office 2007 discs? : Thank you. ...

Page numbering Word 2007
Hi! Here's my challenge with Word 2007: Docs I create (using a a simple template (not the Normal template)) place Page X of Y in the footer of page 1 and Page X of Y in the header of the 2nd & subsequent pages. After saving & then re-opening the doc the page numbering on page 1 displays Page 1 of 3 (even though there may be 20+ pages in the doc). I am only able to get the numbering on page 1 to correct itself to the full "Page 1 of Y", if I open the footer or place my cursor on another page or Update the doc. Interestingly the same Page X of Y numbering on ...

Filtering data by date range (but excluding YEAR)
I have a bunch of dates. I just want to pull everything from January to March (1st quarter) but doesn't care about year. I will be selecting a Year from a combo box, filtering all the appropriate data. Then I want to look at all the dates and pick out only the ones from January to March. How do I do this? Or have I answered my own question already? Let me try this,thanks. Is there a good site I can read more about these date formats? On Aug 1, 6:08 pm, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Add an output field in query design view like this --- > E...

error 1606 office 2007
When i want to reinstal/ remove/ install office 2007, i get the message: Error 1606.Could not access network location :. can somebody help me? > When i want to reinstal/ remove/ install office 2007, i get the message: > Error 1606.Could not access network location :. > > can somebody help me? This is the wrong newsgroup for such issues -- Mike GoTinker, C# Blog http://www.gotinker.com "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA257E02-AA9F-47C2-934F-FC4E30986616@microsoft.com... > When i want to reinstal/ remove/ ins...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...