"Pop-up" charts activated on hover

I'd like to have charts pop up when the user hovers over the source
data.

For instance, I have several sections of sales data in this form:

           Jan   Feb   Mar   Q1   Apr   May  ...

US
Target     5     6     ...
Actual     6     5
Forecast   5.5   5

Europe
Target     4     5     ...
Actual     4     5
Forecast   5     6

So, when the user hovers over the US or Europe "sections," which would
be the label row plus three following rows (tgt, act, fcst), a chart
of the data pops up to illustrate the numbers.  I don't want to take
up room permanently displaying the charts, but want them accessible.

All help appreciated.

Michael Lambert
hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp
0
hojikuru (3)

You could create a chart, and export it as a graphic:

'=====================
Sub ExportChartGIF()
ActiveChart.Export Filename:="C:\Data\ExpChart2K.gif", _
   FilterName:="GIF"
End Sub
'========================

Then, insert the chart in a comment in the section heading cell. There
are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/25/2004 11:33:38 AM
That's a nice idea.  Unfortunately, XL doesn't provide any way to find
the position of a moving/hovering mouse pointer -- at least, not while
the pointer is over a worksheet.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <175658cd.0408241420.14747b8c@posting.google.com>,
hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp says...
> I'd like to have charts pop up when the user hovers over the source
> data.
>
> For instance, I have several sections of sales data in this form:
>
>            Jan   Feb   Mar   Q1   Apr   May  ...
>
> US
> Target     5     6     ...
> Actual     6     5
> Forecast   5.5   5
>
> Europe
> Target     4     5     ...
> Actual     4     5
> Forecast   5     6
>
> So, when the user hovers over the US or Europe "sections," which would
> be the label row plus three following rows (tgt, act, fcst), a chart
> of the data pops up to illustrate the numbers.  I don't want to take
> up room permanently displaying the charts, but want them accessible.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Michael Lambert
> hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp

Nice alternative to something that is otherwise not possible -- at
least not with a hover capability. :)

--

In article <412C7912.4090402@contexturesXSPAM.com>,
dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com says...
> You could create a chart, and export it as a graphic:
>
> '=====================
> Sub ExportChartGIF()
> ActiveChart.Export Filename:="C:\Data\ExpChart2K.gif", _
>    FilterName:="GIF"
> End Sub
> '========================
>
> Then, insert the chart in a comment in the section heading cell. There
> are instructions here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture
>
> hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp wrote:
> > I'd like to have charts pop up when the user hovers over the source
> > data.
> >
> > For instance, I have several sections of sales data in this form:
> >
> >            Jan   Feb   Mar   Q1   Apr   May  ...
> >
> > US
> > Target     5     6     ...
> > Actual     6     5
> > Forecast   5.5   5
> >
> > Europe
> > Target     4     5     ...
> > Actual     4     5
> > Forecast   5     6
> >
> > So, when the user hovers over the US or Europe "sections," which would
> > be the label row plus three following rows (tgt, act, fcst), a chart
> > of the data pops up to illustrate the numbers.  I don't want to take
> > up room permanently displaying the charts, but want them accessible.
> >
> > All help appreciated.
> >
> > Michael Lambert
> > hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp

Here's a solution that is close but does not rely on the mouse
position.  Insted it requires that you click in a cell in the region of
interest.

Create the charts corresponding to the different regions.  Shift+click
each to select the chartobject container (the selection rectangle
around the chart should have circles at the corners rather than black
filled squares) and name it (click in the name box at the extreme left
of the formula bar and start typing) with the name of the geographic
region (usa, europe, etc.)

Create named ranges with Insert | Name > Define...  Select the range
that contains the data for each region and give it the *same* name as
that of the corresponding chartobject.  [Note that you cannot use the
name box for this process since XL will select the named chartobject
rather than create a name for the range.]

Put the following code in a standard module:
Option Explicit
Public AutomateCharts As Boolean
Sub showAllCharts()
    Dim I As Integer
    AutomateCharts = False
    With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
    For I = 1 To .Count
        .Item(I).Visible = True
        Next I
        End With
    End Sub
Sub startAutomateCharts()
    AutomateCharts = True
    End Sub

Put the following code in the ThisWorkbook module:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange( _
        ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim I As Integer
    If Not AutomateCharts Then Exit Sub '<<<<<
    With Sh.ChartObjects
    For I = 1 To .Count
        .Item(I).Visible = False
        Next I
        End With
    With Sh.Parent.Names
    For I = 1 To .Count
        If Intersect(Target, Sh.Range(.Item(I).RefersTo)) _
            Is Nothing Then
        Else
            Sh.ChartObjects(.Item(I).Name).Visible = True
            Exit For
            End If
        Next I
        End With
    End Sub

Once you run the startAutomateCharts procedure, a chart will pop up
when you click any cell in a specified region.  So, click any cell in
the range named europe and the chart named europe will become visible.

Run the showAllCharts procedure to make all charts visible and to stop
the automation effect.  This will be the only way to edit a chart.

Note that there is no code in the above procedures to protect against
developer/user/data errors...

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <175658cd.0408241420.14747b8c@posting.google.com>,
hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp says...
> I'd like to have charts pop up when the user hovers over the source
> data.
>
> For instance, I have several sections of sales data in this form:
>
>            Jan   Feb   Mar   Q1   Apr   May  ...
>
> US
> Target     5     6     ...
> Actual     6     5
> Forecast   5.5   5
>
> Europe
> Target     4     5     ...
> Actual     4     5
> Forecast   5     6
>
> So, when the user hovers over the US or Europe "sections," which would
> be the label row plus three following rows (tgt, act, fcst), a chart
> of the data pops up to illustrate the numbers.  I don't want to take
> up room permanently displaying the charts, but want them accessible.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Michael Lambert
> hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp

Hi Michael,

A similar solution to that proposed by Tushar Mehta can be found at
http://edferrero.m6.net/Content/ChartSelector.zip

This uses the sheet selection change event, but takes the approach
of changing the chart series rather than changing the visibility
of many pre-determined charts.

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

<hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message
> I'd like to have charts pop up when the user hovers over the source
> data.
>
> For instance, I have several sections of sales data in this form:
>
>            Jan   Feb   Mar   Q1   Apr   May  ...
>
> US
> Target     5     6     ...
> Actual     6     5
> Forecast   5.5   5
>
> Europe
> Target     4     5     ...
> Actual     4     5
> Forecast   5     6
>
> So, when the user hovers over the US or Europe "sections," which would
> be the label row plus three following rows (tgt, act, fcst), a chart
> of the data pops up to illustrate the numbers.  I don't want to take
> up room permanently displaying the charts, but want them accessible.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Michael Lambert
> hojikuru@yahoo.co.jp

0
mail953 (171)

Workflow generated pop-up messages
I'm using CRM3.0. I would like to know if it's possible from within workflow code (using c# code) to trigger a message (dialog box) back to the web client. So for example if a field is null, display a pop-up message dialog back to the web client such as: "You must enter a Search name before proceeding" I know it's possible to perform validation from within Workflow manager, however the workflow Manager as far as I know, cannot send dialog box pop-up messages back to a Web client. Note that using client side scripting event triggers is not suitable in this situation, ...

Opening a form from a Pop-up
I have a pop-up form I have created so that instructors can double-click on a user number and a New Student form is supposed to open. I have done several pop-up boxes to open other forms and they all seem to work just fine. However, on this particular pop-up, when I double-click a number, I get the following error message "The specified field '[UserNumber]" could refer to more than one table listed in the FROM clause of your SQL statement." I am using a query to draw the information and there is only one table being used in the query. When I check the SQL statemen...

keep getting error message pop-up windows
Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to help me out. I keep on getting this error message from windows in the pop-up dialog box that shuts the database off and created a backup copy and then ask if i want to send the error to microsoft. This happens when trying to add a button onto the form to increase more functionalities to the database. Apart from that, it works fine. Initially i thought it could be to do with the size of the database but it's only 10 Meg. Could it be anything else that trigger this problem? BTW, this is Access 03. Thank you in advance This type of error sou...

How to get rid of pop-up mesg box?
I've got a macro that deletes all sheets but one. I would like to bypass the pop-up mesg box confirming the requested deletion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike From Help: Example This example closes the workbook Book1.xls and doesn't prompt the user to save changes. Any changes to Book1.xls aren't saved. Application.DisplayAlerts = False Workbooks("BOOK1.XLS").Close Application.DisplayAlerts = True HTH "none" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2P6Hd.1781$xM7.1124@fe11.lga... > I've got a macro that deletes all sheets but one. I wou...

pop-up
I do not like the money pop-up always popping in front of my work. How do I remove this annoying pop-up I think the FAQ on MoneyExpress is what you are looking for: --- Q): What is the icon in my SysTray? How do I turn it off? How do I get it back? A): The icon in the System Tray is the Money Express icon, and is turned on by default with a new Money installation. It has several functions when enabled. It notifies you of upcoming bills and deposits, allows for quick transaction entry without opening Money, and provides easy configuration of events and alerts. If you don't want to use ...

navcancl[1] pop-up
I am using windows vista Sp2. i've been getting file download-security warning navcancl fom ieframe.dll. I have done following but not resolve. 1- kb931768 not installed 2- I have moved temporary internet files default location 3- I have full control Temporary internet files 4- disabled phsing filter 5- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937409 not resolved my issue, interesting! ; when another domain user logon system there is no problem and when I logon another computer in my network same problem on pc. I tought i is a policy issue and I moved user account another...

How can I set up a pop-up calendar for 2010 in Excel?
for MS Office Excel 2003 if you send me email, i can send you something to try. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17F48E86-75A2-4B85-8EBE-904AB79CDA96@microsoft.com... > for MS Office Excel 2003 Hi Mary You can download one from this site :http://www.fontstuff.com/downloads/index.htm Take note that if you're not using MS Office Professional, you will need to download and install a file called MSCAL.ocx. See is notes at the buttom of the page. HTH John "Mary" <Mary@di...

outgoing e-mail confirmation pop-up box
I need to learn how to turn on the pop-up box that shows the # of e-mails being send (and then the number being received), the server(s) being used, etc. when you push the send/receive button on Outlook's e-mail screen. Somebody checked the "hide" box on that pop-up, and now there is just a note that pops up in the lower right corner of my Outlook screen that says "Mail delivery complete" and two rotating envelopes to indicate that mail is being sent. I need the additional data provided by the pop-up box. I have tried clicking on the down arrow next to the no...

Windows won't open due to pop-up blocker
Just putting CRM4 onto test and finding problem of pop-up blocker messages preventing windows from opening. This does not happen all the time. Pop-up blocker is off and CRM URL is added to the exceptions list. Tried turning blocker on and still get the problem. Client PC is XP SP2 using IE 7. Thanks for any help -- Drenem Have you checked you don't have another popup blocker installed. The most common one I find is the google toobar. Thanks Rob "Drenem" wrote: > Just putting CRM4 onto test and finding problem of pop-up blocker messages > preventing windows from ...

Pop-up windows
I'm not sure what the proper name it is called, but everytime i point my mouse to something on my screen, both on the internet and while i'm using other program's on my computer, this annoying little window with a yellow background pop's up, with a short description. I found this very helpful when i first got my computer, but now i don't need it. I used to know how to switch it off, but now i can't find how to do that. Could somebody please help. Enable/Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Line 11, Left) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm -- ...

Excel Data appearing in new Pop-up window rather than frameset frame
I have a servlet running in Tomcat that delivers an excel data file, the response content type being set to: "application/vnd.ms-excel" My html page uses a frameset to display (amongst other things) the excel data. The data is displayed on the click of a button and is directed to a particuler frame: <FORM method=post action="servlet/XLDataServlet/data.xls" target="exceldata"> <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="Display Excel Data"> </FORM> With Internet Explorer 6.0 the excel data is displayed in the target frame, with Internet Explorer 5.5...

Pop-Up Box #2
IS IT POSSIBLE TO: When i click on a button a pop-up box appears where it asks the user to enter a value then clicks "ok" ? When clicking ok the value in the box is sent to cell "A64". Many Thanks Benn -- cassy01 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cassy01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=780 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474205 Hi Cassy01, Try this in your userform and change the commandbutton and textbox name and sheet name to fit. Code: ---...

How do I get auto refresh, and a pop-up notifying me of new mail?
Hi! I just got Windows XP and this version of Outlook. My OLD OE had a pop-up envelope showing me when I got mail even when I wasn't in my mailbox. I thought that was standard... however this new set-up is NOT automatically refreshing, nor is it showing me with the little icon when I have mail. :P Any ideas? Thanks! :) OL and OE are entitely different apps, its not v.clear from yr post which yr using, I would guess OE For info on OE http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ or post to an OE ng, this is an OL ng "HMarie" <HMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Pop-up box
Why am i being asked by Windows Security to verify my user name and passoword (in the little dialog box with the daisy in it)? I type in my q.com address and my password and it just pops up empty again. It won't let me into my mail. Nothing sends and nothing comes in either. The Qwest people resolved a different error message issue for me yesterday, but this problem seems to be with Windows Mail, not Qwest. What can I do to get rid of the lock on my mail? Millie I have the same problem. I even reset my password to be sure I am using the correct username/password in the lit...

Combobox default pop-up menu
I'm using the ComboBox control in my MFC/ATL aplication. Is there a way to customize the default pop-up menu that appears when I right mouse click on edit control area ? How can I add new item to the menu? "Moritz" <Moritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message I'm using the ComboBox control in my MFC/ATL aplication. Is there a way to customize the default pop-up menu that appears when I right mouse click on edit control area ? for creating the Menu on Right Click or any click look at these apis; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuser...

Cell Pop-Up Notes: Any way to extract them programatically?
I've got a sheet that lists various mutual funds and their returns in it's columns. However, somebody has put the inception date of each fund in a pop-up note attached to the fund column. i.e. the cell with fund's name has a little red triangle in it's upper right corner and when the cursor hovers over it, a yellow note pops up. I'm going at this sheet via a VBA Excel.Application object and would like to extract this data. My guess would be that each cell can have a collection of something-or-other that points to the pop-up notes. Anybody know for sure? There's s...

IE 7 and pop-ups
Running IE 7 on Windows XP if that makes a difference. I have "Turn on pop-up blocker" checked but still occassionaly get pop-ups such as at http://www.liveatc.net/ After page fully loads I get a pop-ups for "Three thing should never say to -----------" Any suggestions on how to REALLY block pop-ups without adding more complicated progs with a bunch of setting?? TIA 1- No pop-up blocker is 100% accurate. 2- A pop-up blocker usually won't (can't) block pop-ups from adware. --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est kraut wrote: > >...

Pop-up clipboard window
Can the clipboard pop-up window be prevented from opening up every time I copy something? I use Office 2000. Ideally, as I continually copy items from Outlook and paste the data in Excel, I would like the clipboard pop-up window to not appear. It gets in the way and I really don't need it. Go to Edit > Office Clipboard. Click on the "Options" button at the bottom of the window and change your set-up there. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Can the clipboard pop-up window be prevented from opening up every time I >copy something? I use Of...

how do i remove the pop-up "this file contains macros"
especially when you have removed/deleted the macro... thx : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have to remove the module that the macro was in. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "sokevin" <sokevin.yddgy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:sokevin.yddgy@excelforum-nospam.com... > especially when you have removed/deleted the macro... > > thx :D > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > When you record a macro, Excel creates a module in which the code is stored. When you delete the macr...

Pop-up Links
Hello, I am trying to find a way to show a hyperlink, text box or some kind of pop-up if a user was to click on a link on a powerpoint slide. However, I don't want to use a regular hyperlink because I don't want to take the user away from the slide they are on, but just for the textbox or link to appear on that slide. That is, I want to create "pop-ups" when users select links. Thankyou to anyone who can help me, I hope I am explaining this clearly! There's a tutorial on Pop Ups triggers here http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint-Pop-ups.html NB you ...

Annoying Pop-up
Hi there, MS Outlook 2003, Version (11.6359.6360) SP1 Everytime I reply on a message and it is sent, I get a pop-up message asking me if I want to replace normal.dot because it has been changed. I know that I have chosen Word as my e-mail writer and can therefor see the relation between Normal.dot and Outlook. How can I disable this message from popping up everytime. I have my default template for Word and do not want to change it. I asume it must be some setting somewhere but am not sure where. Regards and thanx, Deon Backup the normal.dot file and just press Yes. Stuff like print...

When a user clicks on reply-all, I would like a pop-up window appear asking the user if they really want to reply to all the recipients. Can someone provide me an example on how to do this? I would be very grateful. Thanks You would do it with VBA. Try outlookcode.com or slipstick.com for examples and links to examples. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook ne...

Where is pop-up box to open an email file after saving?
This dialogue box used to pop-up after I saved an attachment, allowing me the option to launch it. I must have disabled it, and don't know where to locate the command to enable it again. "Barb the Print Rep" <Barb the Print Rep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C707F40-E139-47A4-B945-530D056E6744@microsoft.com... > This dialogue box used to pop-up after I saved an attachment, allowing me > the > option to launch it. I must have disabled it, and don't know where to > locate > the command to enable it again. http://www....

pop-ups
I upgraded my outlook express 6 and installed the hotbar to make my emails more attractive. I had a conflict probably due to the IncrediMail Program so I did a complete uninstall of the Hotbar program. Now I get lots of pop-ups whenever I am on the internet. How do I get rid of all the pop-ups? Do I need to uninstall the IncrediMail Program then reinstall the Hotbar program with the upgrade to Outlook Express 6 in order to be more user friendly to myself? I never use the IncrediMail Program anyway! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office fa...

Pop-Up Window
This question concerns Outlook 2003 in the new mail screen. When you are in the TO: field and type the first letter of a person's name, a pop-up box appears with some selections of people you might want to send the e-mail to. I have four systems out of 30 that do not display this pop-up windows and I have looked in every corner of the program trying to find where this options is to enable. Any suggestions on why this feature is not working on these four computers. James von Arx <JAVA@AJAVAONLINE.COM> wrote: > This question concerns Outlook 2003 in the new mail screen. ...