"Add Trendline" grayed out

I have an excel chart.  I have a column with each day of the year, a column
with the balance for an account for each day (up to today) and a third
column that contains the desired balance for each day of the year (through
the end of the year).

I created an area chart that shows the daily balance.  I want a trendline
that shows the expected balance for each day.  This will allow me to
visually see where I am, and if I am above or below the expected level.

When I try to "Add Trendline" the option is grayed out in my Chart menu.
Why?

I have this on a similar chart in another spreadsheet.  Why can't I get it
to work here?

--
Thanks!

RBear3
..

0
rbear3 (18)

Hi,

I would assume the current chart is a Stacked area where as the other chart
is a standard area chart.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"RBear3" <rbear3@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have an excel chart.  I have a column with each day of the year, a column
>with the balance for an account for each day (up to today) and a third
>column that contains the desired balance for each day of the year (through
>the end of the year).
>
> I created an area chart that shows the daily balance.  I want a trendline
> that shows the expected balance for each day.  This will allow me to
> visually see where I am, and if I am above or below the expected level.
>
> When I try to "Add Trendline" the option is grayed out in my Chart menu.
> Why?
>
> I have this on a similar chart in another spreadsheet.  Why can't I get it
> to work here?
>
> --
> Thanks!
>
> RBear3
> .

0
andy9699 (3616)
6/7/2007 1:18:59 PM
Ok, that was it.  BUT, I can't seem to add the trendline without showing the
series in the chart.  How can I only display series 1 data, and use a
separate column of data to create a trendline (without showing each value on
my chart.

Thanks!!!!

RBear3
..

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would assume the current chart is a Stacked area where as the other
> chart is a standard area chart.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "RBear3" <rbear3@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have an excel chart.  I have a column with each day of the year, a
>>column with the balance for an account for each day (up to today) and a
>>third column that contains the desired balance for each day of the year
>>(through the end of the year).
>>
>> I created an area chart that shows the daily balance.  I want a trendline
>> that shows the expected balance for each day.  This will allow me to
>> visually see where I am, and if I am above or below the expected level.
>>
>> When I try to "Add Trendline" the option is grayed out in my Chart menu.
>> Why?
>>
>> I have this on a similar chart in another spreadsheet.  Why can't I get
>> it to work here?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks!
>>
>> RBear3
>> .

0
rbear3 (18)
6/7/2007 2:21:10 PM
Nevermind.  I figured that out.

Thanks so much for your help!

--
RBear3
..

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would assume the current chart is a Stacked area where as the other
> chart is a standard area chart.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "RBear3" <rbear3@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have an excel chart.  I have a column with each day of the year, a
>>column with the balance for an account for each day (up to today) and a
>>third column that contains the desired balance for each day of the year
>>(through the end of the year).
>>
>> I created an area chart that shows the daily balance.  I want a trendline
>> that shows the expected balance for each day.  This will allow me to
>> visually see where I am, and if I am above or below the expected level.
>>
>> When I try to "Add Trendline" the option is grayed out in my Chart menu.
>> Why?
>>
>> I have this on a similar chart in another spreadsheet.  Why can't I get
>> it to work here?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks!
>>
>> RBear3
>> .

0
rbear3 (18)

"Add Trendline" grayed out
I have an excel chart. I have a column with each day of the year, a column with the balance for an account for each day (up to today) and a third column that contains the desired balance for each day of the year (through the end of the year). I created an area chart that shows the daily balance. I want a trendline that shows the expected balance for each day. This will allow me to visually see where I am, and if I am above or below the expected level. When I try to "Add Trendline" the option is grayed out in my Chart menu. Why? I have this on a similar chart in another sp...

How to add trendline over multiple series and a segment of x-value
How do I add a trendline that covers multiple series and over a partial section of a series (for example, one for the first 5 x-values, and one for the next 6 x-values for data from 4 series)? The first part is not possible (or I do not know how to do it!) For the second part, rather than add trendline use TREND to fit each partial dataset and add the results as new series in the chart. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "progprog" <progprog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D67AE7F0-EB40-43DF-B002-2FA5B97...

add trendlines unavaiable
Having a problem in excel where the Chart, Add Trendlines is unavailable. This happens whether using a new or existing document. Have done a detect and repair back to defaults and have searched the knowledge base but can't find anything on why this would be unavailable. Isn't this part of the basic excel install or is there something missing in excel? Have looked at several other workstations and am able to add a trendline but its not working on this one workstation. In article <87DF3990-10E5-4028-A4ED-160A8B985FC5@microsoft.com>, Ellen@discussions.microsoft.com says.....

Add trendline to PivotChart
Hello, can anyone tell me how to add a trendline to a pivot chart? No matter what I try I cannot add a trendline. I've tried clicking on a data series, right click then select add trend line but this option is greyed out I have also tried using the chart menu. This is realy getting on my nerves well only because I don't know how to do it but I can do it when the chart is not attached to a pivot table...Why? Adrian - Pivot charts do not have all the flexibility of a regular chart. While it's inconvenient, it's also necessary to ensure the integrity of the links to the...

Add trendline to stacked column chart
Apparently, this can not be done. Can anyone confirm or refute? Thanks. Confirm. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "JG Scott" <jgscott3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:1161695290.348081.306070@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Apparently, this can not be done. Can anyone confirm or refute? > > Thanks. > ...

Add Trendline to Pivot Table Graph
I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with Month as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data. I have then created a Pivot Table chart. I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click for Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out. How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns? If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your trendline. Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts...

Can't add trendline in Excel 2007
I have created a simple two line chart and I'm trying to add a trendline to both, however, under layout tab, the trendline box is greyed out (under analysis) preventing me from selecting the type of trendline that I want to add (linear). I checked the Microsoft site related to adding trendlines in Excel 2007 to no avail as the steps provided is what I'm trying to do and still the trendline box is greyed out. Any assistance that can be provided would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lionel Hi, Double check the chart type. A stacked line chart will not allow trendlin...

Select data series but can't select Add Trendline feature
I need to add a trendline to a line chart with one data series. I select the data series, but the Add Trendline option is faded on the Chart dropdown menu and I can't access it. I've added all the Excel features to my office setup. How do I get Add Trendline to work? ...