XPath Validation

I'm looking for a way to Validate an XPath prior to executing the
expression, without using a try catch clause. For example: I'm looking
for something that would tell me that "\some/Xpath\to\Node" is
invalid...

Any Ideas?

0
sparsons (3)

Hi,

As far as I know, the .NET framework could not validate XPath directly with
class library. The only thing we can do is to use try/catch block. Or you
can try to find some 3rd-party tool such as XML spy to validate it. HTH.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

0
v-kevy (347)
10/4/2005 3:28:42 AM
Thanks Kevin,

We are currently using a try catch block. Our business requires us to
attempt to dynamically build an xpath expression based on business
logic and then execute that expression. If the expression fails, we
need to attempt to grab the data point from a business object. The
major problem with this is that I'm hitting this try catch block
thousands of times. I believe that I am getting a substantial
performance hit by using this methodology.

0
sparsons (3)
10/4/2005 12:25:16 PM
Hi,

Using try/catch block might hurt a little performance. But it seems to be
the only resolution. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

0
v-kevy (347)
10/6/2005 2:43:52 AM
Thanks kevin

0
sparsons (3)
10/12/2005 1:44:15 AM
You're welcome.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

0
v-kevy (347)

XPath
Using XPath I am querying parts of XML document, " get quoted by \ - is it possible to specify not to quote " with \? <RootElement> <Element Attribute="SomeValue" /> </RootElement> XmlDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); xmlDoc.Load(fileName); XmlNode xmlNode = xmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("//RootElement/Element") Print xmlNode.OuterXml <Element Attribute=\"SomeValue\"/> where I was expecting to get <Element Attribute="SomeValue"/> TIA Dennis wrote: > Using XPath I am querying parts of XML document,...

The Pivot Table field name is not valid,
I am receiving the above error message, but don't understand why. My data is in columns, organised as a list and the columns are labelled. What do I have to do to get over this? Thanks Denise Maybe there's a hidden column, with no heading text, or you've accidentally included a blank column at the end of the range. deniseh wrote: > I am receiving the above error message, but don't understand why. My data is > in columns, organised as a list and the columns are labelled. What do I have > to do to get over this? > Thanks > Denise -- Debra Dalgleish Ex...

trouble validating against xsd

Getting a specific parent of any node via xpath navigation
I am storing my site structure as such: <menuItems> <menuItem> <pageID>1</pageID> </menuItem> <menuItem> <pageID>2</pageID> <menuItem> <pageID>4</pageID> <menuItem> <pageID>5</pageID> <menuItem> <pageID>6</pageID> </menuItem> </menuItem> </menuItem> </menuItem> <menuItem> <pageID>3</pageID> ...

Validation Rule 01-10-08
I am using Access 97. I have a table named "Stocks". This table has 2 fields named "LongShort" (Text) and "Shares" (Number). The field LongShort can receive either "L" or "S". I wish to force the entry of a positive number into Shares if LongShort contains "L". I wish to force the entry of a negative number into Shares if LongShort contains "S". I have entered this Validation Rule into the field "Shares": ("LongShort"='S' And "Shares"<0) Or ("LongShort"='L' And &qu...

Data Validation to range names for Chart Source Data
I have 15 Named Ranges. I'd like to have a drop down above one chart to select one of the names and the chart updates. How? Please help It sounds like a pivot chart would give you the dynamic ability you are looking for. If you build a Pivot table and chart you can drag the series that you would like into the data range or have them on top to filter by. Another option would be to use an advanced filter for your data. Using this would also change the chart as you changed the filter. Tim "Candyman" wrote: > I have 15 Named Ranges. I'd like to have a drop down ...

how to tell if hwnd is valid
how do you tell if a hwnd is valid? >how do you tell if a hwnd is valid? Have a look at the IsWindow API. Dave Nick Schultz wrote: > how do you tell if a hwnd is valid? Nick: BOOL IsWindow(HWND hWnd); -- David Wilkinson Visual C++ MVP Where is the hwnd coming from? If you are supplying it you could call: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d64ehwhz(VS.80).aspx To get the value. Then use what David suggested to make sure it is still a real window before you use it. Tom "Nick Schultz" <nick.schultz@flir.com> wrote in message news:ORO4EFd8IHA.4988@T...

Validation and Spinnerbuttons
Hi I am doing GCSE ICT at my school and I am making a 'School Shop' for my coursework. What I need is to do is use the Validation Warning Message and the SpinnerButton to set that off. But they seem not to work together. :confused: Anyone who understood this please may you Reply as soon as possible thanks soo much !! :) -- Naan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Naan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521422 Sorry I really n...

Timeout when xml validating?
Hello. I have a document schema which imports the schema of four other documents. The problem is that when validating a document in the multiple import scenario, I get a timeout and then it complains that one of the individual documents root element is not defined. Is there a way to up the timeout value for validating through xmlvalidatingreader? Or another way? This is not exactly an http request, where you can physically set a timeout property. Thanks in advance. Adam *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for i...

SBCMSYNC.DLL is not a valid Office add-in ????
Every time I open Outlook I get the following message: C:\Documents and Settings\Roger\Application Data\Microsoft\Addins C:\Program File\Microsoft Office\Office\SBCMSNC.DLL is not a valid Office add-in. I click Ok and everything seems to work ok. I can't find the file SBCMSYNC.DLL on my system. When I go to Add-ins Manage COM add-ins, I get the same message but it doesn't show any add-in to remove. How can I get rid of this message so that it won't pop up when I open Outlook? -- Roger This problem has been addressed in: "OL2000: Error Message: Not a Valid Office Ad...

Data Validation, Identify Duplicates and Limit imput
I have a sheet where I have a reference number in Col D that is comprised of 3 letters, a space then 3, 4, 5 or 6 digits.. I need to identify duplicate entries as people enter a duplicate reference number Col D ABC 1234 ABS 22221 ABR 124 ASR 554477 I have managed to find a formula within data validation that will give an error message if a duplicate reference is entered however I need to add something to make sure that only three letters , then a space, then numbers can be input or that peoiple can only input letters and numbers with no spaces or other characters. The ...

XPath pb
Hi In infopath, I use a XPath expression to get some nodes : var oEMailNodeList = XDocument.DOM.selectNodes("//Message/EMail"); My problem is that this method returns 0 items. Here is the DOM.xml property : <?xml version="1.0" ?> <?mso-infoPathSolution productVersion=\"11.0.5329\" PIVersion=\"1.0.0.0\" href=\"file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\t-stevbe\Local%20Settings\Appli cation%20Data\Microsoft\InfoPath\7ab6e8af39fc42e2\manifest.xsf\" solutionVersion=\"1.0.0.9\" initialView=\"messagesList\" ?> <?...

Multiple data validation criteria?
Working in 2003, but this workbook has to also work in 2007 For this project I have to avoid macros because users are remote and may not enable macros. I have a column which needs two different data validation criteria; (1) ColumnA >Column B and ColumnA <Column C (I can do this with data validation) (2) ColumnA does not contain values at more than one decimal place 4.2 is ok, 4.21 is not I can also do this with data validation (custom formula) However, Excel appears limited in that I cannot apply more than one data validation criteria. Is there any (non-VBA) w...

How to pass a Nodeset to an XPath extension function?
I am using the .NET framework v2.0.40607 with Visual C# Express and I would like to create some custom XPath functions to use directly in a XSLT stylesheet. I called System.Xml.Query.XmlArgumentList.AddExtensionObject(string, object) to register the functions I've written. The functions that take a String, Boolean or Number parameter work perfectly. However, I do not know how to create a function that will accept a Nodeset as a parameter. I tried writting a function taking a XPathNavigator object, but it does not work for all XPath queries that return a Nodeset: I get an error &qu...

XPath Validation
I'm looking for a way to Validate an XPath prior to executing the expression, without using a try catch clause. For example: I'm looking for something that would tell me that "\some/Xpath\to\Node" is invalid... Any Ideas? Hi, As far as I know, the .NET framework could not validate XPath directly with class library. The only thing we can do is to use try/catch block. Or you can try to find some 3rd-party tool such as XML spy to validate it. HTH. Kevin Yu ======= "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights." Thanks K...

Tricky XPath query
Hi all, I've just changed the structure of my XML file and now I need to construct an XPathNavigator object that uses tags from two different levels in the XML file. For example: <someTag> <innerTagA> <innerInnerTagA> <innerInnerInnerTagA> Some Data That Belongs Here </innerInnerInnerTagA> <innerInnerInnerTagB> Some Data that Belongs More Specifically Here </innerInnerInnerTagB> </innerInnerTagA> <innerInnerTagB> <innerInnerInnerTagZ> This Data should real...

CELL VALIDATION
HI Thanks Debera that sorted it how do i stop the part no displaying #N/A in the part number and cost without effecting the total coloum. when the description is blank Thanks Mark You can use Index/Match formulas on the order form, to return the part number and price. For example, with Description in column C: =INDEX(PartNo,MATCH(C2,Description,0)) would return the Part number, and =INDEX(Cost,MATCH(C2,Description,0)) would return the Price for the first order. In the Data Validation dropdown, you can't change the default number (8) of lines displayed. mark wrote: > ...

Xpath with namespaces
Hello Everyone, I am having an issue with xml and namespaces, at least I think it is namespaces. When I use namespaces, I cannot use SelectSingleNode / SelectNodes as they always return 0/Nothing respectively. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance VB.Net 2005 WinXP Sp2 Test code: Dim objXML As System.Xml.XmlDocument 'Test XML 1 ==> Always returns 0 objXML = New System.Xml.XmlDocument objXML.Load(Application.StartupPath & "\xmlfile1.xml") MsgBox(objXML.SelectNodes("top/middle").Count) 'Test XML 2 ==> Always re...

Validation Question
I have a table that stores the result of an option box. When the data is loaded, it defaults to a '0'. Then when the operators work the record they are supposed to select the option that pertains to the record. All of this is in a subform. Now, what is happening, in their haste, the option is not getting chosen so the default of '0' is being used. How can I force the operatior to not exit the record without entering another option? You should do a check in the before_update of the form to see if the actual value is 0, if so show a messagebox and put the focus on t...

Interactive Guide getting "Not a valid Win32 application" error
I downloaded the Interactive Access 2003 to 2007 command reference guide and when I try to run it, I get a "Not a valid Win32 application" error. I've downloaded other interactive guides and had no problem. Help! ...

xpath??
Hi, I am very new to xml. I have a datatable I need to group by and was suggested that xml and xpath might be the way to go. I converted the datatable to xml but don't know what to do next. Can anyone point me to the right direction. This is what I am trying to do: - have datatable (~300k rows and 5 cols) - need to group by column1(string catagory) and column2(date) - display the totals by column1 and column2 in datagrid. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. The advice to convert the database to XML was clearly a bad joke. RDBMSes are best at what they can do best -- work with relational da...

The Pivot Table field name is not valid, #2
I am receiving the above error message, but don't understand why. My data is in columns, organised as a list and the columns are labelled. What do I have to do to get over this? Thanks Denise Hey Deniseh... The Pivot table is looking for a concentric group of columns and cells, my belief without seeing the data is that you have a column in the data range that does not have heading... check to verify that each the first cell in each column of the pivot table data range has a value populated -- Thanks for your help - Joe Mac "deniseh" wrote: > I am receiving the ab...

Sorting with XPATH

Validating blank fields
Greetings, I am developing a data entry form. In it, I have 4 sets of 4 fields - all of which are not required. However, I want to set it up so that if a user has entered data into 1 of the sets of 4, then when they click to add a record, it will check to ensure data that none of the 4 fields is blank. E.g. 16 fields are: first name, last name, phone, id# each for 4 people. If they've typed in a first name, last name and phone for one person, I want it to prompt them that they forgot to enter the id# too. Any help would be appreciated. - Rye Rye - It sounds like ...

XPath and namespaces
Hi; First off, I think I still do not understand exactly how we are supposed to handle namespaces when doing xpath queries under .NET so I may have some bad assumptions here. As I understand it, we need to set the namespaces on an XmlDocument - the ..NET libraries do not read it from the xmlns:... attributes in the xml. In our case we have to handle xml our customers will pass to our library so we do not know up front what namespaces will be in there or how they are set up. So we do the following: private void SetNamespace(XPathNavigator nav) { XPathNodeIterator list = nav.Select...