XmlValidating Reader and XmlNodes

Is there a way to get the current XmlNode from the reader while in the
validation event handler?  What I'd like to do is display the error message
along with the name of its parent node.

In my XML format, there are parent nodes named differently with some of the
same names for child nodes, so when I get an error message that references
the 'LOGICALPOCKET' node that could be under more than one different parent
node.  I need to be able to tell the user which parent node it's under.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Bright wrote:

> Is there a way to get the current XmlNode from the reader while in the
> validation event handler?  What I'd like to do is display the error message
> along with the name of its parent node.

You could store the information while using the reader, here is a quick
hack example:

using System;
using System.Xml;
using System.Xml.Schema;

public class Test2005032401 {
   private bool valid;
   private XmlValidatingReader xmlValidator;
   private string currentElementName;
   private string parentElementName;

   public static void Main (string[] args) {
     new Test2005032401(args[0]);
   }

   public Test2005032401 (string xmlURL) {
     xmlValidator = new XmlValidatingReader(new XmlTextReader(xmlURL));
     xmlValidator.ValidationEventHandler += new
ValidationEventHandler(ValidationHandler);

     valid = true;
     Console.WriteLine("Validation starts:");

     currentElementName = parentElementName = "";

     while (xmlValidator.Read()) {
       if (xmlValidator.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) {
         parentElementName = currentElementName;
         currentElementName = xmlValidator.Name;
       }
     }

     Console.WriteLine("Validation is finished: " + (valid ? "XML is
valid" : "XML is not valid") + ".");
   }

   public void ValidationHandler (object sender, ValidationEventArgs args) {
     valid = false;
     Console.WriteLine("Validation error: {0}: current element is: {1},
parent element: {2}.", args.Message, currentElementName, parentElementName);
   }

}

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

<CONFIG>
    <PARENT1>
        <LOGICALPOCKET>0</LOGICALPOCKET>
        <PHYSPOCKET>1</PHYSPOCKET>
    </PARENT1>
    <PARENT2>
        <LOGICALPOCKET>0</LOGICALPOCKET>
        <PHYSPOCKET>1</PHYSPOCKET>
    </PARENT2>
</CONFIG>

Is there no way to get the current or parent XmlNode object from an
XmlReader (or XmlValidatingReader)???

Todd Bright wrote:

> That would be very ugly code because there are parent nodes that have child
> nodes with the same name.  I would have to look for the names of the parent
> nodes and keep track of my own position within the reader.  Since the format
> of this XML could change, I don't want to put anything related to node names
> or strings in the code.  Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
>
> <CONFIG>
>     <PARENT1>
>         <LOGICALPOCKET>0</LOGICALPOCKET>
>         <PHYSPOCKET>1</PHYSPOCKET>
>     </PARENT1>
>     <PARENT2>
>         <LOGICALPOCKET>0</LOGICALPOCKET>
>         <PHYSPOCKET>1</PHYSPOCKET>
>     </PARENT2>
> </CONFIG>
>
> Is there no way to get the current or parent XmlNode object from an
> XmlReader (or XmlValidatingReader)???

The members of XmlValidatingReader are here:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemXmlXmlValidatingReaderMembersTopic.asp>
so you can as I suggested and showed you in the previous post at any
time read out the current node type the reader is positioned on with the
NodeType property, read out the current node name with the Name
property. You would then only need an additional variable which stores
the node name of the parent element. I don't know why code doing that is
ugly because your original post said: "I'd like to do is display the
error message along with the name of its parent node". That is what my
code example does. Of course you need a variable to store the node name
but why a variable is ugly I don't understand.

As for an XmlNode instance the reader is a pull based mechanism to read
through an XML document, it doesn't create XmlNode instances at all, if
you need them you would need to create them yourself which is obviously
more work then just storing the node name of the parent element.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

I looked for a way to tell the user what XSD type the node in error is
declared as, but to no avail.  Surely that would be helpful information when
debugging.  I think it would be worth while for the developer to have more
control over the validation and to have access to the underlying XSD elements
when an error occurs.  Anyone know if that is possible???

string currentNodeName;
int prevDepth = 0;
parentNodeName = currentNodeName = reader.Name;
while (reader.Read())
{
	if (reader.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element)
	{
		if (reader.Depth > prevDepth)
		{
			parentNodeName = currentNodeName;
			currentNodeName = reader.Name;
			prevDepth = reader.Depth;
		}
		else if (reader.Depth < prevDepth)
		{
			parentNodeName = currentNodeName = reader.Name;
			prevDepth = reader.Depth;
		}
	}
}
reader.Close();

Todd Bright wrote:

> I looked for a way to tell the user what XSD type the node in error is
> declared as, but to no avail.  Surely that would be helpful information when
> debugging.

The XmlValidatingReader has a property named SchemaType that holds the
type. Is that what you are looking for?

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Todd Bright wrote:

> I wanted to display the datatype that the node is declared as in the XSD file
> (string, short, int,...)  But I couldn't find a way to link the reader and
> the XSD schema up so that I could get to that information when an error
> occurs.  Seems that when an error such as a value out of range occurs, by the
> time the validation error routine is called it is on the end element of
> whatever node the error occured in.

I have now tried to store the SchemaType property the reader exposes and
access it in the validation event handler as follows:

using System;
using System.Xml;
using System.Xml.Schema;

public class Test2005032601 {
   private bool valid;
   private object currentSchemaType;

   public static void Main (string[] args) {
     Test2005032601 test = new Test2005032601();
     System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new
System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US");
     test.Validate(args[0]);
   }

   public void Validate (string xmlURL) {
     XmlValidatingReader xmlValidator = new XmlValidatingReader(new
XmlTextReader(xmlURL));
     xmlValidator.ValidationEventHandler += new
ValidationEventHandler(ValidationHandler);
     valid = true;
     currentSchemaType = null;
     Console.WriteLine("Starting validation of {0}:", xmlURL);
     while (xmlValidator.Read()) {
       if (xmlValidator.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element ||
           xmlValidator.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Attribute) {
         currentSchemaType = xmlValidator.SchemaType;
       }
     }
     xmlValidator.Close();
     Console.WriteLine("Validation finished: XML document is {0}.",
valid ? "valid" : "not valid");
   }

   void ValidationHandler (object sender, ValidationEventArgs args) {
     if (args.Severity == XmlSeverityType.Error) {
       valid = false;
     }
     Console.WriteLine("Validation {0}: {1}.", args.Severity, args.Message);
     if (currentSchemaType != null) {
       if (currentSchemaType is XmlSchemaDatatype) {
         XmlSchemaDatatype dataType = (XmlSchemaDatatype)currentSchemaType;
         Console.WriteLine("Type should be {0}, .NET type {1}.",
dataType, dataType.ValueType);
       }
     }
   }

}

That then gives information alike

Type should be System.Xml.Schema.Datatype_NCName, .NET type System.String.

when a type of an element or attribute is not correct. Unfortunately
classes like System.Xml.Schema.Datatype_NCName do not seem to be part of
the public classes the .NET framework exposes, there is only the
abstract class XmlSchemaDatatype that is documented.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> [...]
>      }
>      Console.WriteLine("Validation {0}: {1}.", args.Severity, args.Message);
>      if (currentSchemaType != null) {
>        if (currentSchemaType is XmlSchemaDatatype) {
>          XmlSchemaDatatype dataType = (XmlSchemaDatatype)currentSchemaType;
>          Console.WriteLine("Type should be {0}, .NET type {1}.",
> dataType, dataType.ValueType);
>        }
>      }
>    }
>
> }
>
> That then gives information alike
>
> Type should be System.Xml.Schema.Datatype_NCName, .NET type System.String.
>
> when a type of an element or attribute is not correct. Unfortunately
> classes like System.Xml.Schema.Datatype_NCName do not seem to be part of
> the public classes the .NET framework exposes, there is only the
> abstract class XmlSchemaDatatype that is documented.

Publisher reader
Is there a downloadable program (preferably free) that just READS Publisher (.pub) files? If so, where is it downloadable from please? -- Paul Use the reply by email facility in your newsreader to send email On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:09:49 +0000, Paul <dontspamme@westgreen.freeserve.co.uk>, in message ID <btkar0h88ep3nqc5jq7h55hsajgoprbr3u@4ax.com>, in the newsgroup microsoft.public.publisher wrote: >Is there a downloadable program (preferably free) that just READS >Publisher (.pub) files? >If so, where is it downloadable from please? I neglected to say that I am running...

Check scanning and Check readers
Has any group successfully integrated a check reader or scanner into a MSFT RMS-POS solution? Our small business processes alot of checks from contracts and cash from customers. So, we need to integrate credit card, debit card, cash, and checks processing. I've been wanting to implement RMS but have been unsuccessful in locating info on any check readers and compatibility with RMS. Anyone with a solution to reading, scanning, and electronically verifying checks at the POS? Rms only supports check verification using PC Charge. Also, RMS only supports MICR (Magnetic Ink Character...

Credit Card Reader
Hello, Can anyone please help me about the Credit Card Reader in RMS - Do we need to buy third party software and Hardware (Reader) ? In Market which one is in Demand for Credit Card Reader for RMS . Your earliest reply will be highly appreciable. Thanks Sandip Jadhav You can buy cherry keyboard with card reader or any magnetic stripe reader with ps2 interface. You can hook this with your keyboard. Dont worry yar It is easy !!1 -- Thank You Harjit SherGill /DBA Altaville Market 324 South Main st po box 370 Altaville CA 95221 Tel : 209-736-1677 Altavillemarket1@att.net "Sandip Jadh...

adobe reader
I have just bought a new camera and the instructions are printed (on screen) in Adobe Reader; there are 104 pages. I wish to copy the pages I need in to a word document and then modify and print what I want. Is there any way I can use Word 2007 to do this? I remember reading that Word has an OCR capability but do not know if this would work from the Adobe Reader screen. Thank you. Did you try simply highlighlighting the text you want, copy and paste it into Word? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" ...

Can't Install News Group Reader in Outlook 2003?
I follow the instructions for adding the news reader when you customize tool bar in Outlook 2003. When I click Go in the Commands tab there is nothing that indicates News! I have tried following the help section step by step and STILL NO News to drag to the Go section on the tool bar! Please help! I need my News Groups! Thanks, Jack Barrett http://windsurf_2.tripod.com To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you lau...

Graphic saved to PDF in Word 2007 corrupted in Reader 9 but OK in
I have saved a document in Word 2007 to PDF containing an embedded Visio diagram (insert object from file). In Adobe Reader 9 the picture is corrupted though it is OK in Adobe Reader 8. It is as though the picture is marked out in rectangles and the corners of the rectangles shaded in. I have tried with an embedded picture and the result is the same. I have also tried with Word 2010 and it is the same too. I even tried a freeware PDF printer driver instead of 'Save As' from Word, and the image is OK in both Adobe Reader 8 and Adobe Reader 9. I really need to use Word stan...

NewsGroup Reader Icon Missing
In Outlook 2003 to access the Newsgroup reader you have click on the Newsreader Icon. Does anyone know how to access the newsreader from outlook? What Executable does it run?.. Thanks http://www.outlooktips.net/archives/20031201.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Jim" <anonymous@disc...

XmlValidating Reader and XmlNodes
Is there a way to get the current XmlNode from the reader while in the validation event handler? What I'd like to do is display the error message along with the name of its parent node. In my XML format, there are parent nodes named differently with some of the same names for child nodes, so when I get an error message that references the 'LOGICALPOCKET' node that could be under more than one different parent node. I need to be able to tell the user which parent node it's under. Thanks, Todd Todd Bright wrote: > Is there a way to get the current XmlNode from t...

XmlValidation Errors int TreeView Control
I show some Xml file in Windows TreeView control. Wenn I validate Xml with some Xml-Schema, I have to show errors node with red color. How can I find an element name, which causes an Exception of XmlValidatingReader? In XmlValidatingReader, you can not determine the element/attribute name which caused the error but you can find out the line number and position where the error occured. This information is available on the XmlSchemaException, if you have hooked up a validation event handler. Zafar "nataly" <nataly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E9753AE-4...

Magnetic Stripe Reader
Greetings, This may sound trivial but I am about to set up a magnetic card reader to hook up to the POS. When trying to test the reader, I opened notepad and swiped a credit card to see what I get. There were a bunch of characters along with the account name and number... Does the credit card software know how to filter these out, or is the reader that I have not working properly? Thank you for your time and help. A Some headers and terminators (the extra characters you see) are supposed to be there, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your device is correctly configured. The...

Reader
Is there a excel reader similar to the Word reader that may work on my antique laptop? Thanks, Doug Hi Doug! You can download an Excel viewer from here.... http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Doug, There is, you can find it You can get a free Excel viewer at http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/default.aspx?Product=Excel&Version=95| 97|98|2000|2002&Type=Converter|Viewer. watch wrap-around on the link -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Pu...

Re: Highest Version of Adobe Reader for Windows 98se
Hi 98 Guy, Thanks to you and everyone. FYI: The reason I mentioned, "remove "ine"...." incase someone decides to reply by email. I didn't want his/her email to "bounce". John On Sat, 08 May 2010 12:45:14 -0400, in microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion you wrote: >jaugustine@verizon.net wrote: > >> Can someone tell me what is the highest version of Adobe Reader I >> can use on my Windows 98se computer? > >> PS, Remove "ine" from my email address > >Are you going t...

Publisher and acrobat reader
I want to make a two page doc created in publisher accessable on the internet. People would be able to open the file and print it out. Seems like acrobat reader is the most common. I don't think it's an is, maybe a was perhaps. -- David Bartosik - MS MVP www.publishermvps.com "JoAnn Paules" <jl_amerson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cP-dnXRvaYvA2ajcRVn-pA@suscom.com... > Yes, it is a very common program. And your question > is......................? > > -- > JoAnn Paules > MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Yes, it is a very common program. And yo...

PDF Viewer/Reader
Hello, I need to find an OCX control that would work in VB6 that allows me to open up PDF files and pull data from them (so that I can store the data in the database for example). We may go the route of using Adobe's control, but we are trying to find something else out there first, either a free control or one that isn't too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not actually using this in VB6 but in another programming language (Progress). But if they are accessible in VB6 they should be accessible in Progress... On Jul 12, 8:38=A0am, Doug <dnlwh...@...

newsgroup reader add-in for outlook
hi, everyone, is there any free newsgroup reader add-in for outlook? It's not convenient to read mails in Outlook while have to read newsgroup in outlook express. thanks! Regards! -- Neil Free, no, but there are several shareware addins you can try. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for a list of addins. Honestly though, if you read many newsgroups, OE (or the new Live Mail) are much better NNTP clients. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by e...

xmlValidating reader and stream vs. file
I pass an xmlDocument to my web service. There I want to use an xmlValidating reader for validation of that document. I do not want to create a file, but rather validate from a stream. My schema document specifies a boolean for an element where, in the instance document, there is the value "2222". The code: (1) Dim buf As Byte() = System.Text.UTF8Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(oReport.OuterXml) Dim ms As New MemoryStream(buf) ms.Position = 0 tr = New XmlTextReader(ms) -- I have also tried (1a) Dim myStream As System.IO.StringReader myStream = New System.IO.StringReader(oReport.Out...

Calling Schema & XMLValidating Reader Heads!
I've written a spiffy class to validate my xml. it loads up a schema into an xmlvalidatingreader and runs thru the xml, firing validationevents as it goes. Friend Sub ValidationEventHandle(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As ValidationEventArgs) _bIsValid = False _errordata.Add(_reader.Name & "|" & _sCurrentFilename & "|" & _iCurrentRecordNumber & "|" & args.Message & "|" & Me.SchemaFilename & "|" & _reader.Reader.Value) End Sub my question is simple - is there any know whay to reference the ac...

Adobe Reader in Vista
When ever I try to open an Adobe file when I am on the internet, it tells me I need Adobe Reader 9 or above which I already have and I have installed all the updates. I do not have an earlier version on my computer either to uninstall. Don't know where else to post this message. Could anyone help please. Margaret "Margaret Upton" <margaretupton@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:4C4D2E8F-9E18-4F54-96E5-E1A93D452C97@microsoft.com... > When ever I try to open an Adobe file when I am on the internet, it tells me I need Adobe Reader > 9 or ...

reader or viewer?
Is there a 'reader or viewer' available to download so that a publisher file may be viewed by someone who does not have Publisher? Thx No "ginny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:664501c3e5f4$56c8d890$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a 'reader or viewer' available to download so > that a publisher file may be viewed by someone who does > not have Publisher? > Thx There is no such item, sorry. Visit the sharing section of my site at http://www.mvps.org/publisher for more details on sharing Publisher files. -- Brian Kv...

Publisher Reader #2
Does anyone supply a read-only version of Publisher? -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'Internet for Everyone' _______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk No, but you can download the trial, when the trial expires it seems to become a viewer. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/FX100487821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mr John ...

Default OE Express to Outlook News Reader
I have two workstations both with Outlook 2003 installed. On one of them when I do GO|News I get the Outlook NewS Reader View of OE, the other gives me the standard Outlook Express View. I like the Outlook Reader View and setup much better, How do I get it to my workstation defaulted to the view I prefer. Thanks, Mike Set OE to be the default news reader in Control Panel, but not in the application. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03c501c3ac12$60bfd7c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have two workstations bo...

News reader
Can you use outlook 2003 as a news reader as well? no. use outlook express -- ------health is merely the slowest possible rate at which we die.----- ------good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement! ------- "Russ" <russ(at)wittmannwebweaving(dot)com> wrote in message news:%23EYHlwioDHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... | Can you use outlook 2003 as a news reader as well? | | You can configure Outlook to be your default newsgroup reader (Control Panel - Internet Options - Programs), but the thing is, it's just going to open the Outlook New...

is there a reader?
Is there any way to read Publisher fiules on a Mac? I have a client creating things in Publisher but I can't see them. Help! Any other alternatives welcome! Karen funfelt <funfelt@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is there any way to read Publisher fiules on a Mac? I have a client > creating things in Publisher but I can't see them. Help! There is no Publisher viewer for any version of Windows. I would suggest having your client download PrimoPDF from www.primopdf.com so they can create PDF files that you can view in Adobe Reader. -- Ed...

News Reader...
Tell me if I am going out on a limb but.... why isn't an NNTP news reader incorporated into Outlook? I know there is a link to News but it opens Outlook Express. I know there are some third party ones out there but it really should be part of the product. Regards Dave A <guess> * Due to the simple fact that Microsoft Outlook is the premiere client of Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Exchange can house Internet Newsgroups. * Limited local storage (2GB limit on PST files. Only 16,000 or 65,000 per folder) * Threading of newsgroup posts suck in Microsoft Outlook </guess&g...

Publisher Reader?
Is there such a thing as a Reader (as in Adobe Acrobat Reader) for Publisher 2000? A friend sent a file I cannot open in (yes I admit it) Windows 98. Hi Eddie (eddielawshe@hotmail.com) in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there such a thing as a Reader (as in Adobe Acrobat || Reader) for Publisher 2000? A friend sent a file I cannot || open in (yes I admit it) Windows 98. Check out the following link: http://www.mvps.org/publisher/sharing.html -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "...