xml/xsl to create msbuild files........MSB4097......and an xsl workarounds(??)

<!--  The xml in question         -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!--          -->

The backstory of this post is here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/96102/msbuild-does-not-accept-valid-child-nodes-that-contain-the-xmlns-namespace-attribute-even-if-its-the-correct-one

Basically, there are some msbuild/xml issues.
The wonderful error you get is:
error MSB4097: The element <Target> beneath element <Project> may not have a
custom XML namespace.

There are some suggestions at the site.
One is "write out the xml/reload it, then add elements".
The other one is "use the msbuild object library".
Neither is especially desirable.

I only recently found the issue at the connect.microsoft.com site......I put
in some heavy work creating some lightweight xml and then an xsl transform
sheet to create my msbuild project file.
Aka, I just did alot a work before I hit this monkey wrench.  :<

At the top of this post ......there is the (resultant xml from my transform)
is currently what I'm stuck with.

The issue are these orphaned
xmlns=""
values.

Because of the bug......(outlined in the URL above)...

you cannot have this xml (below is a copy from the xml above):
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped" xmlns="">

AND you cannot do this:
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

The end result has to be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">  <!-- Emphasis here because there is no
xmlns value -->
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

==============

Here is a very basic (and does-not-do-anything-interesting) example of some
xml and xsl which creates the issue:

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL-->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
version="2.0">
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
    <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
      <xsl:call-template name="CreateTargetsTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
      <!-- -->
    </Project>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateTargetsTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget">
      <xsl:element name="Target">
        <xsl:attribute name="Name">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:element name="Message">
          <xsl:attribute name="Text">You just called the Target named
'<xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />'</xsl:attribute>
        </xsl:element>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

<!-- START DESIRED RESULT -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3"  />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END DESIRED RESULT -->

<!-- START RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<!-- START RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

[...]

<!-- END RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

If you want to see this issue "in action"........then take the xml and xsl
above (the slimmed down version xml/xsl pair I have above)
Transform it, and put the resultant xml in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml"

Create a .bat file
And put this in the .bat file

<!-- START BAT FILE -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE -->

You will see that you get MSBuild issues unless the xml is like "START
DESIRED RESULT" format above.

Any hope for this one?  I've read the suggestions at connect.microsoft.com
and it just undermines my efforts I just put in.

Even if I have to perform two transformations, that is an option...........
I'm "ok" (skill-wise) with xsl, but thought I would post this issue to
people alot better at xsl than I am.

And I appreciate you looking, but comments along the lines of
"You don't have to use <xsl:element></xsl:element> , you can write it
shorter using ______________" are especially helpful on this one.
I'll rework the xsl to be trimmer if I find a workaround...I promise!

The engines I have available are.

DotNet Xml/Xsl Libraries, 3.5 Framework.
Saxon (in a pinch that is) ("C:\Program
Files\MSBuild\SaxonHE\bin\Transform.exe")
MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0

Thanks for any help.

I'm probably gonna document some of this over on the connect.microsoft.com
site as well.......since I went to trouble of creating some samples.

0
sloan5710 (6)

sloan wrote:

> version="2.0">

You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use

<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">

instead of what you have above.

And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

THANK YOU, it works just as you said.

I'm posting my basic-setup scenario xml and xsl so future googlers
(errrr......bingers) will find a basic and working example.

Again, thank you very much.

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL THAT WORKS VIA INSTRUCTIONS IN PREVIOUS POST  -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">
<!--  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />  -->
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <xsl:variable name="AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
    <xsl:value-of select="'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
[...]
        <xsl:if test="targetName = $AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
          <xsl:comment> The above special target name will call all targets
</xsl:comment>
          <xsl:call-template
name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:if>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
   <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget[targetName !=
$AllTargetsWrapperConstant]">
      <xsl:element name="CallTarget">
        <xsl:attribute name="Targets">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
      </xsl:element>
     <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

=============================

<!-- START BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->
<!-- Note, the output from above should be persisted in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

REM set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->

<!-- START Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the
xml/xsl transformation above)(Just to show what I got and that Martin's
advice was spot-on -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
    <!-- The above special target name will call all targets -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target1" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target2" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target3" />
    <!--  - - -->
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the xml/xsl
transformation above) -->

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> sloan wrote:
>
>> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>> version="2.0">
>
> You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
> element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>   xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
>   version="2.0">
>
> instead of what you have above.
>
> And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:
>

>>   <xsl:template match="/">
>>     <!-- -->
>>     <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
>> xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

0
sloan5710 (6)

Exch2003: unable to create new mailboxes after replacing corrupt info store
I had a corrupt information store on Exchange 2003 so I added a new temporary server (Exch2003) and moved all of my mailboxes to the new server. After I did that, I saved the copy of the original info store to another location and created a new info store with the same name. Then I moved all of the mailboxes back to the "new" info store. Everything runs great - backups, log files, email flow except for - - creating a new user/mailbox. The user part creates fine and it looks like a mailbox is created, but looking under the mailbox folder doesn't show a mailbox for th...

create price books
To create price books: Open the Price Book Maintenance window. (Cards >> Inventory >> Extended Pricing >> Price Books) Enter or select a price book ID. I can go to cards Inventory but I don't see Extended Pricing. Do I need an additional module to access this feature. I was trying to build a smartlist to see what we were charging for inventory items but didn't see a price field to select. I just purchased Smartlist Builder so maybe i can link some tables together??? Any direction would be great. First You need to mark to use Extended Pricing in Inventory Setup...

XML Header

Read XHTML into XML

To create a message with default Cc:, Bcc:
When ever i sena a message from my outlook express irrespective of address. i want a copy to be sent to a particular ID. can u please help me out This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCI...

Identify files on two diff spreadsheets
I need help... I have two spreadsheets, named 2008 and RS, both with file numbers in column A1 with different information in the other columns. I need to know if the files on the spreadsheet "RS" are on the spreadsheet "2008" and if so, then put a "1" in column "U" next to that file on the "2008" spreadsheet. I tried the vlookup function, but couldn't quite figure it out. Please help. Thanks in advance. Try this formula in column U of the 2008 sheet: =IF(COUNTIF(RS!A:A,'2008'!A1)>0,"U","") ...

Outlook contact file?
Sorry if this is duplicate andisn't right place to ask but after synchronizing my Windows Mobile phone via ActiveSync with MS Outlook on my desktop machine what's the file name and location that all of the contact information gets stored in on my pc?...is it some type of .pst file that I can simply copy/paste to another drive location? Thanks in advance. ...

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

creating bar graph
Hello, I would like to create a bar-graph using the below data's. --------------------------------------------- Avg. Temp Low Normal High | --------------------------------------------- Jan 45.5 25 35 45 | Feb 28.6 18 25 35 | Mar 47.3 27 36 48 | April 51.4 31 39 51 | --------------------------------------------- Conditions: 1) If the Avg. Temp is below the "Low" value , bar colour should indicate in Yellow. 2) If the Avg. Temp is Below the "Normal"...

Error when trying to create ACCDE
When I try to create a ACCDE from a Access 2007 database I get a error message. The error message is (translated from swedish version): "You con not add or edit the record. It requires a related record in the table MSysAccessStorage" This happens on all databases I have tried. Is there some general setting that I nedd to alter? -- Kjell Harnesk, Sweden. Hi Kjell, Can you provide us with some more details about your issue? 1. What OS are you using? What language installed for the OS? 2. What language is your Office/Access installation? 3. Do you have other versions of Access ...

creating a outlook express account
"How to" please advise what can be my server? SMTP.POP3 ETC?? THANKS You have posted to an Access, the database application, newsgroup. Outlook Express is part of internet explorer and supported in their groups To answer your Q these settings are supplied by your ISP - internet service provider "johan" <124elect@hhpco.com.kw> wrote in message news:eymBAiJEIHA.5324@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > "How to" please advise > what can be my server? SMTP.POP3 ETC?? > THANKS > > ...

How to invoke the xml editor?

Sync mail files
I have a small network of 3 computers. Can I syncronize the Outlook.pst file so that any of the 3 machines will have access to all of the mail folders? Any clues will be welcomed. Gill gaffer <gaffergill@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I have a small network of 3 computers. Can I syncronize the > Outlook.pst file so that any of the 3 machines will have access to > all of the mail folders? See if something here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Corrupted .pst file !!!?!?! Help
Hi, My outlook.pst is corrupted. Tha'ts why I cannot start me outlook 2003 (see my other post here) I used the inbox repair tool (SCANPST.EXE) but it doesn't work, I got the following message: "An unexpected error prevented access ti this file. Use scandisk to check the disk for errors and then try using the inbox repair tool again" Outlook is closed and I already scanned my hard disk using scandisk, and there are no error. The error really seems to come for the corrupted pst file. Related to the file corruption, When I tried to copy the outlook.pst file to an...

File sharing
Hi, I have a client with two machines running Mac OS X 10.3.6, and MS Office 2004 with SR1, and both machines have file sharing enabled. If machine1 has a file on its hard disk opened called file1.xls, and machine2 tries to open the same file I thought that machine2 would only be able to access the file read-only, and be told this. However what I am seeing is that machine2 can open the file, make changes, and save the changes but if machine1 makes changes and saves their version machine2's changes are lost. Shouldn't machine2 be told that they can only open the file read-only? Thank...

show XML schema and values

Offline synch using XML web-services

how can create stacked column chart join with line
Dear I am trying to create stacked chart which data point join with line but I am unable to create. Pls some one help me. thanks Hi, In xl2003, create your stacked column chart and then double click one of the series. On the Series option tab select Series Lines. In xl2007, create your stacked column chart and then apply series lines via Chart Tools > Layout > Analysis > Lines > Series Lines If these are not the sort of lines you mean you need to provide more information. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info <cdac.anand@gmail.com&g...

TMP files #3
Since getting a new pc, any attempt to save a file in Excel, instead saves to a TMP file. I get no errors, and I can open the file again fine, but my disks are slowly filling up with TMP file instead of spreadsheets. Any ideas? Jono Although you didn't get an error message this article describes problems with saving files and being left with tmp files. It may provide some insight: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;103329&Product=xlw -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "jono" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d65401c423a1$29e...

How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger?
How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger? Hi, You can increase the size of the plotarea. To select the plotarea on a pie chart imagine the pie is contained within a box and click in one the the four corners. Another way is to use the up/down arrows to cycle through the major chart elements such as plot area, legend, data series, titles. Cheers Andy Deborah wrote: > How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Re: Noobish question about DBGrid and .mdb files
Sorry I forgot - DBGrid controls are for RDO - DataGrid controls are for ADO - in my experience DataGrid controls are better. "Clive Minnican" <clive@mail.com> wrote in message news:... > You need to create an ADO Data Control first... See the doc below taken from > Visual C++ 6 online help (Using ADO Databinding in Visual C++). I started > off using the DBGrid control but I now prefer to populate a CListCtrl > manually from a CRecordset because you get a lot more control. It's not as > hard as it sounds either - just read up on CDatabase and CRecordset and ...

Beginner of XML

Create merged mail in Excel (*NOT* in Word)?
I need to create a mail merge in Excel . . . **NOT** using Word in any way. The application is a mailing of extensive calculations based on parameters which change. There are about 1,000 recipients so doing it manually is a LOT of work. It can't be done in Word because the spreadsheet is too complicated. I'm willing to pay for the ability to work with someone in real time who can show me how to get this done. Best regards, Dolf (914) 318-6766 <<dolfnjudy@aol.com>> ...

convert WKS file to 2007 excel
Any ideas? Mike Do you have a previous Excel version that you an open it with? -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Mike Stewart" <MikeStewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CEA0B3D-C262-4AD0-ACFD-4DBB762B5985@microsoft.com... > Any ideas? > Mike I have 2003 but it will not open it ether. Mike "Bob Phillips" wrote: > Do you have a previous Excel version that you an open it with? > > -- > __________________________________ > HTH > > Bob > > "Mike Stewart" <MikeStewart@discussions...