xml/xsl to create msbuild files........MSB4097......and an xsl workarounds(??)

<!--  The xml in question         -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!--          -->

The backstory of this post is here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/96102/msbuild-does-not-accept-valid-child-nodes-that-contain-the-xmlns-namespace-attribute-even-if-its-the-correct-one

Basically, there are some msbuild/xml issues.
The wonderful error you get is:
error MSB4097: The element <Target> beneath element <Project> may not have a
custom XML namespace.

There are some suggestions at the site.
One is "write out the xml/reload it, then add elements".
The other one is "use the msbuild object library".
Neither is especially desirable.

I only recently found the issue at the connect.microsoft.com site......I put
in some heavy work creating some lightweight xml and then an xsl transform
sheet to create my msbuild project file.
Aka, I just did alot a work before I hit this monkey wrench.  :<

At the top of this post ......there is the (resultant xml from my transform)
is currently what I'm stuck with.

The issue are these orphaned
xmlns=""
values.

Because of the bug......(outlined in the URL above)...

you cannot have this xml (below is a copy from the xml above):
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped" xmlns="">

AND you cannot do this:
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

The end result has to be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">  <!-- Emphasis here because there is no
xmlns value -->
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

==============

Here is a very basic (and does-not-do-anything-interesting) example of some
xml and xsl which creates the issue:

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL-->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
version="2.0">
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
    <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
      <xsl:call-template name="CreateTargetsTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
      <!-- -->
    </Project>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateTargetsTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget">
      <xsl:element name="Target">
        <xsl:attribute name="Name">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:element name="Message">
          <xsl:attribute name="Text">You just called the Target named
'<xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />'</xsl:attribute>
        </xsl:element>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

<!-- START DESIRED RESULT -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3"  />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END DESIRED RESULT -->

<!-- START RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<!-- START RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

[...]

<!-- END RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

If you want to see this issue "in action"........then take the xml and xsl
above (the slimmed down version xml/xsl pair I have above)
Transform it, and put the resultant xml in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml"

Create a .bat file
And put this in the .bat file

<!-- START BAT FILE -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE -->

You will see that you get MSBuild issues unless the xml is like "START
DESIRED RESULT" format above.

Any hope for this one?  I've read the suggestions at connect.microsoft.com
and it just undermines my efforts I just put in.

Even if I have to perform two transformations, that is an option...........
I'm "ok" (skill-wise) with xsl, but thought I would post this issue to
people alot better at xsl than I am.

And I appreciate you looking, but comments along the lines of
"You don't have to use <xsl:element></xsl:element> , you can write it
shorter using ______________" are especially helpful on this one.
I'll rework the xsl to be trimmer if I find a workaround...I promise!

The engines I have available are.

DotNet Xml/Xsl Libraries, 3.5 Framework.
Saxon (in a pinch that is) ("C:\Program
Files\MSBuild\SaxonHE\bin\Transform.exe")
MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0

Thanks for any help.

I'm probably gonna document some of this over on the connect.microsoft.com
site as well.......since I went to trouble of creating some samples.

0
sloan5710 (6)

sloan wrote:

> version="2.0">

You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use

<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">

instead of what you have above.

And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

THANK YOU, it works just as you said.

I'm posting my basic-setup scenario xml and xsl so future googlers
(errrr......bingers) will find a basic and working example.

Again, thank you very much.

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL THAT WORKS VIA INSTRUCTIONS IN PREVIOUS POST  -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">
<!--  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />  -->
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <xsl:variable name="AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
    <xsl:value-of select="'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
[...]
        <xsl:if test="targetName = $AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
          <xsl:comment> The above special target name will call all targets
</xsl:comment>
          <xsl:call-template
name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:if>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
   <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget[targetName !=
$AllTargetsWrapperConstant]">
      <xsl:element name="CallTarget">
        <xsl:attribute name="Targets">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
      </xsl:element>
     <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

=============================

<!-- START BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->
<!-- Note, the output from above should be persisted in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

REM set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->

<!-- START Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the
xml/xsl transformation above)(Just to show what I got and that Martin's
advice was spot-on -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
    <!-- The above special target name will call all targets -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target1" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target2" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target3" />
    <!--  - - -->
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the xml/xsl
transformation above) -->

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> sloan wrote:
>
>> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>> version="2.0">
>
> You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
> element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>   xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
>   version="2.0">
>
> instead of what you have above.
>
> And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:
>

>>   <xsl:template match="/">
>>     <!-- -->
>>     <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
>> xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

0
sloan5710 (6)

Create Multiple Bugdets within a Fiscal Year
We have a client looking to create multiple budgets under one year, is this possible with Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0? Yes On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:31:02 -0700, Lisa <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a client looking to create multiple budgets under one year, is this >possible with Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0? You can have an unlimited number of budgets for the same fiscal year. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D309603F-76EF-4EB3-8226-B631C91463EA@microsoft.com... > We have a client lookin...

Huge file size
If I add an image to my Pub 2002 publication, the file size increases (that's normal)--but if I remove the image, the file size does NOT decrease---it remains the same. Apparently, it is cumulative---right now I am working with a Godzilla 339MB file size. Even if I remove all of my images from the publication, and I have nothing but text, the file size remains huge. Can anything be done to decrease the file size of an existing publication? Dave Block Tech Writer Long Island, NY Dave Block <DaveBlock@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > If I add ...

XML Header

problem writing in INI file
Hi, I want to write a long file path in an INI file. I have written following function to write in INI file: void Ini_ParamFileWriteField(CString strSection, CString strFieldName, CString strFieldValue) { LPTSTR pSection = strSection.GetBuffer (5); LPTSTR pField = strFieldName.GetBuffer (256); LPTSTR pResult = strFieldValue.GetBuffer (256); BOOL b = WritePrivateProfileString(strSection,strFieldName,strFieldValue,INI_FILE); } This function writes successfully in the INI file, but file names writen are not complete (a part of file name is written at the end of the section). Following are...

Creating Mailboxes
Hello, I am using and LDAP string, similar to the one below to create a mailbox in exchange 2003, does anyone know if it is possible to set the email address using this method? If not, does anyone know of an alternative method? And is it possible to create and delete users in exchange 2003 using a .csv file import? Thanks in advance, Adam http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237677 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327620 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298882 Adam wrote: > Hello, > > I am using and LDAP str...

creating bar graph
Hello, I would like to create a bar-graph using the below data's. --------------------------------------------- Avg. Temp Low Normal High | --------------------------------------------- Jan 45.5 25 35 45 | Feb 28.6 18 25 35 | Mar 47.3 27 36 48 | April 51.4 31 39 51 | --------------------------------------------- Conditions: 1) If the Avg. Temp is below the "Low" value , bar colour should indicate in Yellow. 2) If the Avg. Temp is Below the "Normal"...

Problem opening an XML file in Excel
I have Excel Professional 2003 (11.6113.5703) which has an XML conversion function but am not able to successfully open an XML document. I am working on a source file which was sucessfully opened by another part who also has Excel professional 2003. We both went through the same process, but she did not get the "Microsoft Office encountered errors when importing the following files" but I did. Her Excel file formats correctly using the XML tags as column headers, my file does not. Here is how I opened the file: >Opened as XML list, OK. Then a message, "The specified...

Read XHTML into XML

How to invoke the xml editor?

Offline synch using XML web-services

Data File Not Closing Properly #2
Just what does one have to do to properly close a data file (Outlook 2007)? I am consistently getting a message on opening Outlook 2007 that my data file did not close properly. Second question: Why does it take soooo long for messages to download from the IP server? It seems I'm waiting an awfully long time for the messages to start coming in.....and once they do start downloading, they will stop after just a few messages, wait a bit, and then start up again. If I go to the website connection for my mail it's there right away. (My IP is SBC/Yahoo.) Jan Groshan <jangro@p...

how can create stacked column chart join with line
Dear I am trying to create stacked chart which data point join with line but I am unable to create. Pls some one help me. thanks Hi, In xl2003, create your stacked column chart and then double click one of the series. On the Series option tab select Series Lines. In xl2007, create your stacked column chart and then apply series lines via Chart Tools > Layout > Analysis > Lines > Series Lines If these are not the sort of lines you mean you need to provide more information. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info <cdac.anand@gmail.com&g...

cannot restore pst files.... heartattack time
For the first time I archived Outlook Today and my Personal Folders, date of today. I did not know it all would be swept away into the dungeon... I also have a separate (automatic) Outlook.pst file (304.049 KB years of research) which is still keeping up with the clock... but I cannot restore any of them. The only thing has been the duplicating of Outlook Today Folders (NOT Personal folders), but all folders are empty except for Contacts and Calendar. I have used the wizard and also followed the instructions below... no postive results. I use Windows ME and Outlook 2000. please help! jopie ...

Free map XML web service?
I want to create an XML web service that allows a user to enter two U.S. addresses, and be able to obtain step-by-step driving directions. At first I was hoping that Yahoo or Mapquest would have a web-based API that I can use, but I can't find any APIs for them. PLEASE let me know if they (or any other map sites) have these APIs. So my second alternative is to find a free XML web service somewhere out there that can provide more or less the same functionality. That way, I can still create my custion XML web service, and have it call the 3rd party web service to do the job. Microsoft&...

Copying excel file to word
I have an excel file that i must fit onto an 11x8.5. In excel i can just shrink the page to 45%, but when i copy the table into word it is too big. Is there a way to shrink the data to fit Select the area in the worksheet that you want to copy. While holding down the SHIFT key, pull-down Edit > Copy Picture and do the copy. In Word, just paste. You have just pasted a picture in Word. Because it is just a picture you can move it, re-size it or rotate it to your satisfaction. Have a good day -- Gary's Student "Gary" wrote: > I have an excel file that i must fit...

String to xml document

log file deleted by AV software. please help!
yup, norton AV deleted my E00.log file and im in big trouble. please tell me the quickest, easiest way to recover from this. 100+ users are ready to kill me! thank you in advance. You will need to perform a restore. Do you have recent backup of your Exchange Server? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner <jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message news:72GGc.59539$kz.11085057@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... > yup, norton AV deleted my E00.log file and im in big trouble. please tell me > the quickest, easiest way to recover from this. 100+ ...

my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?
Files are being saved in the correct format and can be opened normally from the recent files section of the File Menu in excel. The copmputer tried to open them in Word from My Computer Change the file association for the XLS extension. Open Win Explorer and browse to an Excel *.xls file. Right-click and "Open With". Select Excel and "Always use this etc." Alternative...................... Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)&g...

How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger?
How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger? Hi, You can increase the size of the plotarea. To select the plotarea on a pie chart imagine the pie is contained within a box and click in one the the four corners. Another way is to use the up/down arrows to cycle through the major chart elements such as plot area, legend, data series, titles. Cheers Andy Deborah wrote: > How do I resize a pie chart created in excel to make it larger? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Beginner of XML

auto update excel files
I have an excel file with 5 worksheets.1 of the worksheet is a raw data and another one is a master.What I am required to do is that when I add a new data(row),it should be automatically updated at the master. And it should also be able to auto sort the new data and the respective columns.Is it possible? I have been on it for weeks and I need the solution asap.Help will be much appreciated. Should be pretty simple with a worksheet_change event If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sh...

How do I create a population pyramid?
I wish to create a population pyramid - using male and female figures Hi, Here is some details on creating pyramid (tornado) charts http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng3.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/tornado/index.html Cheers Andy ian_s_mcd wrote: > I wish to create a population pyramid - using male and female figures -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

How do you incorporate a PDF file into a publisher file?
Depends on what I want to do with the info. Specifically what are you going to do with the .pdf info? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Betty@HusseyCo" <Betty@HusseyCo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84A167CF-0FBD-49F3-A36D-9739D62A1D6F@microsoft.com... > Insert, Object... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Betty@HusseyCo" <Betty@HusseyCo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84A167CF-0FBD-49F3-A36D-9739D62A1D6F@mi...