XML XSL PDF

Hi

Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.

I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation into
html.

I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
very large.

Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even script
ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the money)

Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..
0
Robert4087 (350)

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.
>
> I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation
> into
> html.
>
> I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and
> some
> very large.
>
> Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
> how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even
> script
> ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
> source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the
> money)
>
> Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..
I tried using XSL-FO a few years ago and couldn't find a good renderer that
would cope with complex documents. I think things have moved on somewhat and
hopefully in a couple of years the new XSL-FO standard will be implemented
in a commercial component.
I have heard of RenderX but have no first hand knowledge of them.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
http://joe.fawcett.name

Robert wrote:

> I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
> very large.
>
> Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
> how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF.

The usual way is to write an XSLT stylesheet that transforms your XML to
XSL-FO, then you can use a FOP processor to transform the XSL-FO to PDF.
One FOP processor is Apache FOP: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
Robert wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.
>
> I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation into
> html.
>
> I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
> very large.
>
> Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
> how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even script
> ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
> source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the money)
>
> Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..

An alternative is to use XSLT to transform to LaTeX, and then process to
PDF. This has the benefit of using LaTeX's built-in foreknowledge of
what documents are, and its large collection of formatting packages,
which avoids you having to reinvent several dozen wheels, and you can
modify your XSLT-->HTML code to output the LaTeX code. LaTeX is
available in both free and commercial implementations, and runs on
almost anything.

Contact me if you need more details.

///Peter
0
Peter
7/13/2008 8:43:43 PM
hope this helps...

using System.IO;
using System.Xml.Xsl;
using System.Xml;
using xmlpdf;           //http://www.xmlpdf.com/index.html

namespace xml_to_pdf_example
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            XmlDocument request;
            string stylesheet = "fax.xsl";
            string pdfFile = "yourpdf.pdf";
            XslTransform xsl = new XslTransform();
            xsl.Load(stylesheet);
            MemoryStream pdfXml = new MemoryStream();
            xsl.Transform(request.CreateNavigator(), null, pdfXml, null);
            xmlpdf.licensing.Generator.LicenseFileLocation = "xmlpdf.lic";
            PDFDocument pdfDoc = new PDFDocument();
            MemoryStream pdf = new MemoryStream();
            pdfDoc.generate(pdfXml, pdf);
            FileStream fs = new FileStream(pdfFile, FileMode.OpenOrCreate,
FileAccess.Write, FileShare.None);
            pdf.WriteTo(fs);
            pdf.Flush();
            pdf.Close();
            fs.Close();
        }
    }
}

"Robert" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.
>
> I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation into
> html.
>
> I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
> very large.
>
> Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
> how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even script
> ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
> source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the money)
>
> Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..
0
jmsides (5)
7/14/2008 6:55:03 PM
Then you don't need to learn to much about XSL-FO, other than it is a public standard like HTML, except that is designed for print.
You can use a good designer such as XF Designer from <a href="http://wwww.ecrion.com">Ecrion</a> and build your XSL-FO templates using drag and drop.

Rober wrote:

XML XSL PDF
10-Jul-08

Hi

Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.

I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation into
html.

I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
very large.

Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even script
ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the money)

Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:08 AM
Rober wrote:

XML XSL PDF
Hi

Can someone give me some general "where to start looking" advice please.

I AM : a dot net developer, good knowledge of xml / xsl transformation into
html.

I WANT : To produce PDF docs from xml feeds. Large numbers of files and some
very large.

Questions: I have heard of XSL-FO but know little about it. I have no idea
how to convert from XSL-FO to PDF. Are there microsoft / .net / even script
ways to do this easily? Do i need a component? Any recommendations (open
source freeware preferable but good recommendations mean more than the money)

Please help .. even if where to start looking / reading about this topic..

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:48 AM
Joe Fawcett wrote:

Re: XML XSL PDF
"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I tried using XSL-FO a few years ago and couldn't find a good renderer that
would cope with complex documents. I think things have moved on somewhat and
hopefully in a couple of years the new XSL-FO standard will be implemented
in a commercial component.
I have heard of RenderX but have no first hand knowledge of them.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
http://joe.fawcett.name

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:44 AM
Martin Honnen wrote:

Re: XML XSL PDF
Robert wrote:

The usual way is to write an XSLT stylesheet that transforms your XML to
XSL-FO, then you can use a FOP processor to transform the XSL-FO to PDF.
One FOP processor is Apache FOP: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

On Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:43 PM
Peter Flynn wrote:

Re: XML XSL PDF
Robert wrote:

An alternative is to use XSLT to transform to LaTeX, and then process to
PDF. This has the benefit of using LaTeX's built-in foreknowledge of
what documents are, and its large collection of formatting packages,
which avoids you having to reinvent several dozen wheels, and you can
modify your XSLT-->HTML code to output the LaTeX code. LaTeX is
available in both free and commercial implementations, and runs on
almost anything.

Contact me if you need more details.

///Peter

On Monday, July 14, 2008 2:55 PM
jmside wrote:

[...]

"Robert" wrote:

On Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:52 AM
Nikolay Elovskiy wrote:

XML XSL PDF
Hi, Robert
try Xml2PDF (http://alt-soft.com) to convert xsl-fo to pdf

SharePoint - Managing Unused or Archive sites automatically
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/96bf1f1c-ab6f-43f1-9a5b-a2a8deb60cad/sharepoint--managing-unu.aspx
0
Mike

XML Header

Read XHTML into XML

How to invoke the xml editor?

adding html link to a pdf download product
I am new to website design and have only taught myself publisher over the last few weeks, and have put together a nice website. I chose Publisher as I didn't want to get too invoved in a html intensive design program. However I am stuck on how I add a html link to the pdf of my e-book which I am selling. And all the associate processes. I've been searching the web for ages but to no avail... Can someone help me? ..in layman's language please :-) Cheers Mand x Reference: Including external files in a Publisher web http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80...

show XML schema and values

Offline synch using XML web-services

Create a PDF Doc with CRM Data
Hi, I would like to be able to create a standard contract document to PDF with the data from a form or Prospect Client, and include of text, images (logo of my society ...) and so on ... Thanks Bernard I can think of a few ways. One would be to use SQL reporting services, which (I think) can save to PDF. The other option would be Office 2007 which can save to PDF (you might have to download the option form Microsoft), which means you could just do a mail merge, and print the file to PDF. If you are using Office 2003 you can get free PDF printers (for example CutePDF) which would al...

String to xml document

Beginner of XML

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

Example eConnect XML documents
MSDN says the following: Installing eConnect schema When you include the schemas component of the eConnect install, the installer places schema files in a schemas folder on your computer. The following schema resources are available: The install places the .xsd schema files in the directory c:\Program Files\Microsoft Great Plains\eConnect9\XML Schema\Incoming XSD Individual Schemas. The files in the directory contain the schema for each eConnect XML document. The install places a file named eConnect.xsd that contains the schema definition for all eConnect XML documents. The install typicall...

Saving DataSet as XML in ADO format using VB.NET
Hi, I am trying to convert a lot of web reports from ASP/VB to ASP.NET/VB.NET. I would like to save my dataset in XML and then use XSLT to transform the XML. The catch is I would like to have the XML in the format that ADO uses versus the default format in which ADO.NET uses. Currently, I am using ADO within .NET, but I am concerned about the performance and it might improve if I used the native data providers for .NET. I am not sure if I am missing something but how do I save the .NET DataSet to XML in the OLD ADO format? Thanks for you help in advance and it is most appreciated. In the ...

XML variable for description on receipt?
Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended descriptions) to display on the printed receipt under the main description. What is the variable to do that? Entry.Item.Description Entry.Item.ExtendedDescription Entry.Item.SubDescription1 Entry.Item.SubDescription2 Entry.Item.SubDescription3 R. "Zorian" <Zorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4425EAC-62B6-46FE-826A-D8BA2AA75DBB@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended > descriptions) to display on the printed receipt un...

xml to SQL
Hey we have a project in which a company produces a XML page in reply to actions on it's site. I see that SQL 2000 works well with XML so Can someone point me in the right direction, I would like to take the XML from thier SQL and have it "post" to own sql server (add,create, data, modifity and delete data on the fly). I was looking at doing XML to HTML and then passing to some a ASP but if we can grab from the responsetext then we could save time and headaches. Now I really know next to nothing about XML but I am reading all the newsgroups and pulled now TONS of xml / sql stuff ...

new xml file is larger than the original
i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?> when i didn't tell it to. how do i duplicated a xml file and only add the xml element that i want to insert. where did the extra 70k come from. thanks here is my code: Dim newEvtEnr...

xml data in excel
I have designed an excel template with tabular format (row by row input) for user input. I have to make the validation for those input. My question is that is it possible to use XML schema as the input format template and use it for the data validation like normal XML validation. Could anyone suggest me how to do that?? Million thanks. ...

XSLT, XML to XML
Hello, I would like to transform this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> to this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> Basically I am hoping to use XslTransform and an XSLT stylesheet to change the format of some input XML so i...

http xml post
Hi I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). In my testing - I have been able to create and post xml string/stream and send response back. But now I've been told that I should "code the whole xml payload string as a single key" I'm not sure what this means and haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Cindy "CindyH" <chenschel@new.rr.com> wrote in message news:eg9EfjVsIHA.4716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). > > In my t...

want to link excel doc. to pdf.
is it possible for me to link (using copy then paste special then past link) an excel document to a pdf document. I want the files to be th exact same, so when i make changes to the excel document, i automatically updates the pdf doc. I want to do this because the exce document is a current availibility of my products and the pdf documen is that same availibility to be viewed on my website. I constantly mak changes to my availibility and it would be so much easier if i automatically linked to the pdf. i'd appreciate any input. perhap someone has an even better approach to my situation. ...

Problem creating XML file...
Hi all! I'm trying to create this XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Build type="Daily" sync="True" compile="True" assemble="True" > <Sync version="1.0.0.0" branch="QA"> <Directories basePath="//OpicsPlus/Source/Release" /> </Sync> </Build> For this, I'm trying to use the code below: private static BuildConfiguration SaveXML(XmlDocument xml, string fileName) { // Creates the nodelist XmlNodeList nodeList; XmlElement user = xml.Docume...

FlowCharts to PDF
Microsoft has an add-in, 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS. I am looking for something to convert Visio 2003 files to PDF. Will this work for my version? Thank you You can buy Adobe Acrobat for good conversions to PDF There are other tools that can do this too, but you cannot use the Visio 2007 Save as PDF with Visio 2003 "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8844EAF1-9994-48A9-B975-80C9F87F7957@microsoft.com... > Microsoft has an add-in, 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as > PDF > or XPS. I am lookin...

writing an xml inside XmlReader or XPathDocument to a file.xml
I believe this should be pretty elementary, but for some reason I cannot seem to think of how to write the an XML file from an incoming XML file. Basically this is what I do: Input: XmlReader instance from another module (beyond my control) Operations: XPathDocument = new XPathDocument(XmlReader); Then translation using XslTransform and output into XML2.xml NOW THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO: How can I ALSO write the Incoming XmlReader to a file ? I need this to help debug issues with the incoming file. So in essence I want to be able to take an XmlReader or XPathDocument and write it...

XML vs. SQL Database
I am developing a home project to be later released as an online application. I am currently using XML to store game data, user/member data, and other. Assuming a user base of 10,000 active users, is there a conflict if one user is updating information and another user is creating data on the same xml file? For example: User 1: update inventory that exists in the XML file User 2: new user adding their inventory data in the XML file Thanks for your help. Michael "Michael Jesse" <michaeljesse1973@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:tUVDd.13357$iC4.7938@newssvr30.news....

XML Import to MM2000
Please bear with me if I ask a question that has been previously addresssed by this group, to which I am new! Is it possible to import to MM2000 a file with extension .FXXML? My bank provides account transactions in that and .CSV formats only and I can only find reference in MM2000 to .OFC and .OFX files. Thanks in advance for any information. Dave "David Spencer" <dispencernomorespam@a1.net> wrote in message news:403b5e78$0$28382$91cee783@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at... > Please bear with me if I ask a question that has been previously addresssed > by this ...