xml within xml?

Hi all, I wish to embed an xml document within an element of another xml
document. If I enclose the child xml within a CDATA section will the DOM not
parse the child xml? What is the best way to do this? Additionally what
should the parent element be defined as in the xsd? I noticed xs:anytype
throws an error when validating the final xml doc.

TIA,
RP

0
rp1633 (17)

RP wrote:

> Hi all, I wish to embed an xml document within an element of another xml
> document. If I enclose the child xml within a CDATA section will the DOM not
> parse the child xml? What is the best way to do this? Additionally what
> should the parent element be defined as in the xsd? I noticed xs:anytype
> throws an error when validating the final xml doc.

In general it's impossibl? to nest XML documents due to syntax stuff,
which cannot be doubled of freely positioned like XML declaration or
doctype declarartion. But if your XML doesn't have DTD, the natural form
of embedding of XML within XML is just as simple as
<doc1>
	<doc2>...</doc2>
</doc1>

Beware that if you put enclosed XML into CDATA section you make it
string, not XML structure, so you won't be able to query it or transform
it, this is actually quite bad design.
And to instruct Schema to not validate embedded XML, just define parent
element type as follows:
   <element name="parentForEmbeddedXML">
     <complexType>
      <sequence>
       <any minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" processContents="skip"/>
      </sequence>
     </complexType>
   </element>
See "5.5 Any Element, Any Attribute" in XML Schema Primer at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#any
--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

0
Oleg
11/1/2003 6:11:26 PM
"RP" <rp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I wish to embed an xml document within an element of another xml
> document.
OK.

>If I enclose the child xml within a CDATA section will the DOM not
> parse the child xml?

No, BUT it will search for a "]]>" in there so make sure any instance you
put in a
CDATA marked section does not itself contain a CDATA marked section.

>What is the best way to do this?
>Additionally what
> should the parent element be defined as in the xsd? I noticed xs:anytype
> throws an error when validating the final xml doc.

Depends what you want.

If you want an external parsed entity so that the markup in the external
file
becomes part of the DOM tree, you could declare one in the internal subset
like so:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ENTITY bar SYSTEM "bar.xml">
]>

and reference it where it should go in the parent.
In this case the content model of the parent should be set up just as
if bar.xml were physically included in the parent.
(Except the text declaration -- see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-TextDecl.)

If the parent is an envelope for child.xml (and in particular you want to
transport them together anyway) then you'll want them physically
in the same file.  In this case, however, the schema of the payload
is usually distinct from that of the envelope.  One way to handle
this case and be 100% sure that the payload doesn't interfere with the
parsing of the envelope is to encode it somehow -- you might have a
look at xs:base64Binary for this case.  But note that here the trees are
separate,
you'll have to parse the decoded payload instance separately in your
application.

Regards,

    -djm

XML Header

Read XHTML into XML

30, 60, 90 days late and due within 14 days
I am working on a spreadsheet that will calculate late suspenses. Basically I have 3 different types of late suspenses and am looking to calculate between 0 and 30 days late, 30 - 60 days late, 60 - 90 days late and over 90 days and each of these time frames for the three categories. Here is what my spread sheet looks like: Name ID TYPE SUSP DAYS OVER DUE UNIT WOOD 6470 N/A 18-Mar-05 (234) A SMITH 7453 UNIT 22-APR-05 (199) B JONES 9741 CO 1-Nov-05 (6) C ...

How to invoke the xml editor?

show XML schema and values

Offline synch using XML web-services

Can I create a custom MIME player within Outlook and Outlook Express?
I have a special SMTP e-mail from a custom server that is encoded as text/myapp-xml. I would like to create a control to format it within Outlook and Outlook express instead of displaying raw XML. I used the MSDN mime player example and can view the text/myapp-xml content in a web page within IE fine, but within Outlook and OE, it is just text. Is there some special registration I need to do to get the OCX mime player to work in O/OE? Below is what the e-mail looks like. Any tips/help are appreciated. jmw ------------------------------- Return-Path: From: To: Subject: Mime-Version: 1.0 ...

String to xml document

Beginner of XML

Quickly finding a record within a file
I have a file that contains 1,400 names and addresses. How do I find a name quickly without having to scroll the whole file? Hi 'Edit - Find' from the menu?? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Janiebutt wrote: > I have a file that contains 1,400 names and addresses. How do I find > a name quickly without having to scroll the whole file? I like applying data|filter|autofilter Then do a filter using custom, contains, and type just a little of what's in the name. Janiebutt wrote: > > I have a file that contains 1,400 names and addresses. How do I find a...

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

How to Chart the Maximum Point within Two Loops
I have the following dataset. For each person in Column A, I want to find their maximum sales $ in Column B for each of the location in Column C and plot them out in a bar chart. There will be always two locations (series) for each person. A B C D 1 Faye 14,874 China 7/4/2005 2 Faye 18,050 China 6/27/2005 3 Faye 31,255 US 6/20/2005 4 Faye 56,351 US 6/13/2005 5 Faye 59,352 US 6/6/2005 6 Faye 74,887 US 5/30/2005 7 Jean 42,671 China 5/23/2005 8 Jean 45,560 China 5/16/2005 9 Jean 60,170 China 5/9/2005 10 Jean 100,357 US 5/2/2005 11 Jean 112,163 US 4/25/20...

Example eConnect XML documents
MSDN says the following: Installing eConnect schema When you include the schemas component of the eConnect install, the installer places schema files in a schemas folder on your computer. The following schema resources are available: The install places the .xsd schema files in the directory c:\Program Files\Microsoft Great Plains\eConnect9\XML Schema\Incoming XSD Individual Schemas. The files in the directory contain the schema for each eConnect XML document. The install places a file named eConnect.xsd that contains the schema definition for all eConnect XML documents. The install typicall...

Saving DataSet as XML in ADO format using VB.NET
Hi, I am trying to convert a lot of web reports from ASP/VB to ASP.NET/VB.NET. I would like to save my dataset in XML and then use XSLT to transform the XML. The catch is I would like to have the XML in the format that ADO uses versus the default format in which ADO.NET uses. Currently, I am using ADO within .NET, but I am concerned about the performance and it might improve if I used the native data providers for .NET. I am not sure if I am missing something but how do I save the .NET DataSet to XML in the OLD ADO format? Thanks for you help in advance and it is most appreciated. In the ...

XML variable for description on receipt?
Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended descriptions) to display on the printed receipt under the main description. What is the variable to do that? Entry.Item.Description Entry.Item.ExtendedDescription Entry.Item.SubDescription1 Entry.Item.SubDescription2 Entry.Item.SubDescription3 R. "Zorian" <Zorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4425EAC-62B6-46FE-826A-D8BA2AA75DBB@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended > descriptions) to display on the printed receipt un...

xml to SQL
Hey we have a project in which a company produces a XML page in reply to actions on it's site. I see that SQL 2000 works well with XML so Can someone point me in the right direction, I would like to take the XML from thier SQL and have it "post" to own sql server (add,create, data, modifity and delete data on the fly). I was looking at doing XML to HTML and then passing to some a ASP but if we can grab from the responsetext then we could save time and headaches. Now I really know next to nothing about XML but I am reading all the newsgroups and pulled now TONS of xml / sql stuff ...

new xml file is larger than the original
i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?> when i didn't tell it to. how do i duplicated a xml file and only add the xml element that i want to insert. where did the extra 70k come from. thanks here is my code: Dim newEvtEnr...

Time Series and Creating data points within a series
I am trying to change hourly data to include data points for every 15 minutes. What I have What I need Time Data Time Data 3/1/2009 0:00 99.12 3/1/2009 0:00 99.12 3/1/2009 1:00 99.07 3/1/2009 0:15 99.12 3/1/2009 0:30 99.12 3/1/2009 0:45 99.12 So, 1) I need to create data points for time and time within my existing data 2) I need to copy data that occurs in...

xml data in excel
I have designed an excel template with tabular format (row by row input) for user input. I have to make the validation for those input. My question is that is it possible to use XML schema as the input format template and use it for the data validation like normal XML validation. Could anyone suggest me how to do that?? Million thanks. ...

XSLT, XML to XML
Hello, I would like to transform this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> to this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> Basically I am hoping to use XslTransform and an XSLT stylesheet to change the format of some input XML so i...

http xml post
Hi I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). In my testing - I have been able to create and post xml string/stream and send response back. But now I've been told that I should "code the whole xml payload string as a single key" I'm not sure what this means and haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Cindy "CindyH" <chenschel@new.rr.com> wrote in message news:eg9EfjVsIHA.4716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). > > In my t...

Problem creating XML file...
Hi all! I'm trying to create this XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Build type="Daily" sync="True" compile="True" assemble="True" > <Sync version="1.0.0.0" branch="QA"> <Directories basePath="//OpicsPlus/Source/Release" /> </Sync> </Build> For this, I'm trying to use the code below: private static BuildConfiguration SaveXML(XmlDocument xml, string fileName) { // Creates the nodelist XmlNodeList nodeList; XmlElement user = xml.Docume...

writing an xml inside XmlReader or XPathDocument to a file.xml
I believe this should be pretty elementary, but for some reason I cannot seem to think of how to write the an XML file from an incoming XML file. Basically this is what I do: Input: XmlReader instance from another module (beyond my control) Operations: XPathDocument = new XPathDocument(XmlReader); Then translation using XslTransform and output into XML2.xml NOW THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO: How can I ALSO write the Incoming XmlReader to a file ? I need this to help debug issues with the incoming file. So in essence I want to be able to take an XmlReader or XPathDocument and write it...

XML vs. SQL Database
I am developing a home project to be later released as an online application. I am currently using XML to store game data, user/member data, and other. Assuming a user base of 10,000 active users, is there a conflict if one user is updating information and another user is creating data on the same xml file? For example: User 1: update inventory that exists in the XML file User 2: new user adding their inventory data in the XML file Thanks for your help. Michael "Michael Jesse" <michaeljesse1973@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:tUVDd.13357$iC4.7938@newssvr30.news....