Xml Serializing subclass problem

Hi guys. I've come across a problem when I tried to serialize a class into
xml, only to discover that the parent class's XML Serialization properties
weren't included in the output xml.

Actually, the class I'm serializing is two steps down in the inheritance
ladder. It's got a parent class which also has a parent class :( All those
classes in the hierarchy are Xml Serializable, and I'd think that it should
be obvious that all attributes/properties of the parents should be
serialized for any given subclass, no ?

Here's the two classes, subclass first, parent classes afterwards:

[XmlRootAttribute(Namespace="", ElementName="Group", IsNullable=false)]
public class Group : CBusLogicalObject
{
private Unit[] m_units = null;
public Group() : base()
{
}
public Group(string strAddress, CBusNode parent)
: base(strAddress, parent) {
}
public Group(string strAddress, string strName, CBusNode parent)
: base(strAddress, strName, parent) {
}
[XmlArrayItem(ElementName="units", Type=typeof(Unit))]
[XmlArray(ElementName="units")]
public Unit[] Units {
get { return m_units;}
set {
// TODO: Add some validation logic here ...
m_units = value;
}
}
}

... and the parent ...

[XmlRootAttribute(Namespace="", ElementName="LObject", IsNullable=false)]
public abstract class CBusLogicalObject : CBusNode
{
public CBusLogicalObject() : base()
{
}
public CBusLogicalObject(string strAddress, CBusNode parent)
: base(strAddress, parent){
m_address = parent.Address+"/"+strAddress;
}
public CBusLogicalObject(string strAddress, string strName, CBusNode parent)
: base(strAddress, strName, parent){
m_address = parent.Address+"/"+strAddress;
}
}

... and the paren't parent ( don't blame me ... :D )

[XmlRootAttribute(Namespace="", ElementName="CBusNode", IsNullable=false)]
public abstract class CBusNode
{
protected string m_address = null;
protected string m_name = null;
private CBusNode _parent = null;
public CBusNode()
{
}
public CBusNode(string address, CBusNode parent) {
this._parent = parent;
this.m_address = address;
}
public CBusNode(string address, string name, CBusNode parent) {
this._parent = parent;
this.m_address = m_address;
this.m_name = name;
}
[XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Address")]
public string Address {
get { return m_address; }
}
[XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Name")]
public string Name {
get {return m_name; }
}

Thanks a lot for any help,
Cheers,
Angel
O:]

Start with easier example such as below.  Note private fields will not be
serialized.  Public fields and public properties with both get and set will
be.  Null fields will also not be serialized by default.

DerivedClass dc = new DerivedClass();
string xml = dc.ToXmlString();
Console.WriteLine(xml);

public class BaseClass
{
 public string BaseString = "Hello"; // public.
 private string notSerialized;  // not xmlserialized as private.
 private string base2String = "Happy Holidays"; // property is public.

 public BaseClass()
 {
  notSerialized = "not";
  Console.WriteLine(notSerialized); // remove compiler warning.
 }

 public string Base2String
 {
  get { return base2String; }
  set { base2String = value; } // Both get/set required by xmlseralizer.
 }
}

public class DerivedClass : BaseClass
{
 private static XmlSerializer ser = new XmlSerializer(typeof(DerivedClass));

 public string DerivedString = "There";

 public DerivedClass() : base()
 {
 }

 public string ToXmlString()
 {
  byte[] bytes = ToBytes(false);
  return Encoding.UTF8.GetString(bytes);
 }

 public static DerivedClass FromXmlString(string xmlString)
 {
  if ( xmlString == null )
   throw new ArgumentNullException("xmlString");

  DerivedClass xr = null;
  using(StringReader sr = new StringReader(xmlString))
  {
   xr = (DerivedClass)ser.Deserialize(sr);
   return xr;
  }
 }

 /// <summary>
 /// Serialize class to utf-8 encoded byte array.  Serialize defaults to
 /// using UTF8 so we can avoid an additional XmlWriter stream.
 /// </summary>
 /// <param name="prefixLen"></param>
 /// <returns></returns>
 public byte[] ToBytes(bool prefixLen)
 {
  using(MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream())
  {
   if ( prefixLen )
    ms.Position = 4;

   ser.Serialize(ms, this);

   if ( prefixLen )
   {
    if ( ms.Length > uint.MaxValue )
     throw new ArgumentException("Serialized class bigger then
uint.MaxValue");
    uint len = (uint)ms.Length;
    byte[] lenBytes = BitConverter.GetBytes(len);
    ms.Position = 0;
    ms.Write(lenBytes, 0, lenBytes.Length);
   }
   return ms.ToArray();
  }
 }
}

-- Output --
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<DerivedClass xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
  <BaseString>Hello</BaseString>
  <Base2String>Happy Holidays</Base2String>
  <DerivedString>There</DerivedString>
</DerivedClass>

--
William Stacey, MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Angelos Karantzalis" <akarantzalis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> public abstract class CBusNode
> {
> protected string m_address = null;
> protected string m_name = null;
> private CBusNode _parent = null;
> public CBusNode()
> {
> }
> public CBusNode(string address, CBusNode parent) {
> this._parent = parent;
> this.m_address = address;
> }
> public CBusNode(string address, string name, CBusNode parent) {
> this._parent = parent;
> this.m_address = m_address;
> this.m_name = name;
> }
> [XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Address")]
> public string Address {
> get { return m_address; }
> }
> [XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Name")]

Thanks for the reply Will. I think the original problem was caused because
the "parent's parent" class CBusNode had the Address & Name properties
read-only (no set in the properties). I saw that after I'd send the post,
corrected it, but now I get some very weird exception upon running the test
application, about missing a DLL library with cryptic name - plus it throws
the same exception with a different cryptic dll name every time, as if the
dll name were random!

.... gosh, just when I was saying how nice Xml Serialization is in .NET as
opposed to some Java APIs. Guess again ! :?

Cheers,
Angel
O:]

"William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> > public CBusNode(string address, string name, CBusNode parent) {
> > this._parent = parent;
> > this.m_address = m_address;
> > this.m_name = name;
> > }
> > [XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Address")]
> > public string Address {
> > get { return m_address; }
> > }
> > [XmlAttributeAttribute(AttributeName="Name")]
> > public string Name {
> > get {return m_name; }
> > }
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help,
> > Cheers,
> > Angel
> > O:]

> application, about missing a DLL library with cryptic name - plus it
throws
> the same exception with a different cryptic dll name every time, as if the

It is kinda random.  A dynamic dll gets created by xmlserializer for your
class.  At the moment, I forget why that was necessary or if that step could
be avoided.  Would need to see the error message to be sure, but it must be
something to do with issue of serialization or deserialization.

--
William Stacey, MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Well, after a whole lot of debugging & playing around & a little help from:
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko/articles/33045.aspx I solved the problems.

I just cast the instace being serialized inot the base class in the
XmlSerializer & included the derived classes with an [XmlInclude] attribute
in the parent class.

Thanks for the help William.

> > application, about missing a DLL library with cryptic name - plus it
> throws
> > the same exception with a different cryptic dll name every time, as if
the
> > dll name were random!
>
> It is kinda random.  A dynamic dll gets created by xmlserializer for your
> class.  At the moment, I forget why that was necessary or if that step
could
> be avoided.  Would need to see the error message to be sure, but it must
be
> something to do with issue of serialization or deserialization.
>
> --
> William Stacey, MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

XML Header

CDhtmlDialog Charset Problem
Hi, I am using a CDhtmlDialog with a HTML file to show some results in this dialog. The HTML file's head portion is given below :- <HEAD> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=EUC-JP"> </HEAD> Note the charset mentioned as EUC-JP. I am using CDhtmlDialog::LoadFromResource() to load this HTML file in the CDhtmlDialog dialog. LoadFromResource is invoked from CDhtmlDialog::OnInitDialog(). Thus when the dialog is created the HTML file is loaded automatically. After this loading is done, I am writing some dynamic content in the H...

Read XHTML into XML

Problem opening excel 97
When I open Excel 97 I receive an error. Microsoft Visual Basic- Permission to use object denied. I have tried re- registering excel with no luck. Any other ideas? Thank you Chip Pearson has a WebPage that offers a variety of suggestions. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >W...

Radiant 1510 with samsung 350 serial printers
good day, Has anyone ever tried using Radiant 1510 Touchscreen moniters with samsung 350 serial printers......I am having some trouble being able to print....i have triend both the opos and windows drivers....any help would be greatly appreciated.... Best regards, Uttam Using a serial printer might be your problem. If you look through past threads you will notice a lot of the problems listed with printers show up with a serial connection. It seems to be much better to use either LPT1 or USB. You might want to consider a Serial to USB adapter and see if that works. Craig "...

Serial port
Hey, I've got an application (VC6), which must communicate with the serial port (com port). I use ReadFile, WriteFile with Non-overlapped mode. There's a thread, which is only for the reading. The problem: Missing data. Does anybody knows, how the input/output buffer of the comport is realizied? When there come more data over the ComPort then the Software reads out, what happens? Does anybody had some advices? Thanks Peter There are a variety of ways to set up reading a commport, but in general you= have to use overlapped IO. The comm port driver in effect puts data in y...

How to invoke the xml editor?

CEPC, serial KITL
Can somebody explain to the novice how to enable serial KITL in WinCE 6.0. CEPC ? My CEPC platform has an incompatible Ethernet adapter, so I am booting to MS-DOS copying NK.BIN from the network share and then staring it with loadcepc.exe It works great, I also can see debug messages on serial port. Great, however, what is the easiest way to run KITL over the serial port ? There suppose to be serial KITL implementation in CEPC BSP, but how to enable it ??? Thank you, Yan ...

Spell Checker problem
I have Outlook Express installed by my supplier four years ago, but its Spell Checker is only for French and has no option for any other language. Is there a way out of this problem so that I can convert to English please? Conrad The below was posted by Bruce Hagen MS MVP and the credit does to him <snip> You no longer have spell checking capabilities in some languages in Outlook Express 6.0 after you install the 2007 Microsoft Office system: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974 Outlook Express cannot use the MS Word spell check in Office 2007. Downloading a free...

problems with portrait to landscape conversion while copying
I create a chart in XL in portrait mode. When I look at it in print preview it looks just as I would expect (i.e. tall and thin). However, as soon as I try to copy and paste it into either word or powerpoint it is converted into landscape format! I can't find any way to turn off this If you choose Edit>Paste Special>Picture, it should be pasted in Portrait orientation. Debbie wrote: > I create a chart in XL in portrait mode. When I look at > it in print preview it looks just as I would expect (i.e. > tall and thin). However, as soon as I try to copy and > ...

show XML schema and values

Mouse flicker problems in MS Word, ,running windows 7.
I recently installed MS Office Home and Student on a windows 7 operating pc - but everytime I start word my curser flickers in the screen area and i can't click right or left. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. It isn't a Word problem, but my suspicion is either the printer driver is corrupt or incompatible or missing. Make sure that you have the latest driver for your printer and then delete and reinstall the printer. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "PR100" <PR100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

problem when transferring out serialized item
we have a serialized item that was returned by a customer, and was placed into offline inventory. i went to offline inventory and transferred the item out, we did a standard transfer type (we are sending the item back to the supplier). after doing that, i went to the transfer out order, and selected issue all, and tried to commit to it. i get the error message "the following serial number exists in the database, and is not available for issuing: 04215494019" i checked this serial number in the serial table, and the status of the serial number is set at 3. we've never...

Offline synch using XML web-services

Problems with send to
Hello, we have the following problem. There is a worddocument published at our intranet. When i open this document an choose then 'send to', Outlook is starting and a new mail is created with a doc- file attached. But there are some users, if they open this document an choose 'send to', they create a new mail with a attached html-file (doc.htm) Where can i change this behavior.I want always send a doc- file. We are using Outlook2000 with Microsoft-Rich-Text as Emaileditor. The behavior is independent from the IE-version. All help is welcome Thank you Henrik I ca...

String to xml document

Problem using Recurring Batch in Receivables Module
HI ALL, I'm just learning Great Plains and have a problem using Receivables. When I create a recurring batch, it works fine the first time. Problem is that the next time I post that batch it will post to the general ledger, but NOT to the receivable module. When I do an Inquiry -> Sales -> Transaction By Customer, I don't see that sale. Then I get into a catch-22: I can't correct in the Financial -> General -> Transaction Entry, because it was created in the Receivables Module. But I can't find it in the receivalbes module. What I DO see is that the sale is ...

SFO Problem
Hello, I'm getting "An error occured while installing Microsoft CRM folders" message when opening Outlook. I've tried : 1-Remove addin and reregister it -Do not work 2-Remove SFO and MSDE and reinstall SFO-Do not work 3-Remove Office 2003 and reinstall Office 2003-Do not work How can I check which condition causes error? Is there any log file that i can check? I do not want to reinstall OS but I couldn't found any solution. Thanks, ...

Problems with Outlook 2003
I've problems with Sales for Outlook. I installed and worked with CRM. Then wanted to see what is "Sales for Outlook". Ran setup, and it said that "sales" are already installed on this computer. Ok. But there are no communication between outlook & CRM!! What can be the problem? When I try to import contacts manually (from CRM), I get a message "Outlook cannot be run, may be it's not installed". Everything is installed! CRM v.1.2 Outlook 2003 Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. I encountered this problem when installing Sales for Outlook on the s...

Beginner of XML

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

windat files I have a nagging problem with attachments to my emails that have the the winmail.dat attachnents
I have a nagging problem with attachments to my emails that have the ..winmail.dat format. my hotmail email will not open these attachments. I have to save the attachment to my desktop and then use a windat reader to open the file,which takes so much time. isn't there any other way to open these attachments? thankyou. -- Richard K Mahan Sr "Imagination is the Father of Creativity" -- Richard K Mahan Sr "Imagination is the Father of Creativity" "Richard Mahan" <dmachen35@comcast.net> wrote in news:QYidnQUtfOjpTVvbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hn...

Example eConnect XML documents
MSDN says the following: Installing eConnect schema When you include the schemas component of the eConnect install, the installer places schema files in a schemas folder on your computer. The following schema resources are available: The install places the .xsd schema files in the directory c:\Program Files\Microsoft Great Plains\eConnect9\XML Schema\Incoming XSD Individual Schemas. The files in the directory contain the schema for each eConnect XML document. The install places a file named eConnect.xsd that contains the schema definition for all eConnect XML documents. The install typicall...

Problems navigating in Excel
My excel was working fine until now. When I try using my arrow keys to navigate right, left up or down it does not work properly The sheet moves in the direction I want it to go but the cursor stays on the original cell, I have to click on an actual cell to access it. I have done all the standard checking of all properties ect.. nothing works It's occuring globally Thanks You accidentily hit the ScrollLock key. Hit again. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mary" <entegra@telus.net> wrote in message news:0c8601c3c026$2af2c7b0$a001280a@phx....