<i id="i1">
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="2;3;7" />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="8;1;7" />
</sample>
</i>
<i id="i33"> <!-- The Id is totally random -->
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="2;3;7" />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="6,2,5" />
</sample>
</i>
<s id="s1">
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="2" unit="k"  />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
</sample>
</s>
<s id="s2"><!-- The Id is totally random -->
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="7" unit="k"  />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="8" unit="k" />
</sample>
</s>
<e id="Ea">
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="9" unit="k"  />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="4" unit="k"  />
</sample>
</e>
<e id="Eb">
<sample num="1">
<sampledata value="1" unit="k"  />
</sample>
<sample num="2">
<sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
</sample>
</e>
</data>

Now I want to parse it and make 10 List<> from these.
Lists are ,
Ea: 9,4
Eb: 1,8
s1: 2,8
s2: 7,8
i1-Vin: 2,8
i1-Vout:3,1
i1-E:7,7
i33-Vin: 2,6
i33-Vout:3,2
i33-E:7,5

How to do this?
What library should I use? is there any standard way to do this?
Its a C# desktop application. Is there any way to  directly use the
xml file as multiple datasource??
I need something which is faster. Casue the file is way too large
15MB.
Thanks
0
muquaddim (2)

muquaddim@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a xml file like the following.
>
> <?xml version="1.0">
> <data>
> <idef units="Vin,Vout,E">
> <i id="i1">
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="2;3;7" />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="8;1;7" />
> </sample>
> </i>
> <i id="i33"> <!-- The Id is totally random -->
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="2;3;7" />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="6,2,5" />
> </sample>
> </i>
> <s id="s1">
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="2" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> </s>
> <s id="s2"><!-- The Id is totally random -->
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="7" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="8" unit="k" />
> </sample>
> </s>
> <e id="Ea">
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="9" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="4" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> </e>
> <e id="Eb">
> <sample num="1">
> <sampledata value="1" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> <sample num="2">
> <sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
> </sample>
> </e>
> </data>
>
> Now I want to parse it and make 10 List<> from these.
> Lists are ,
> Ea: 9,4
> Eb: 1,8
> s1: 2,8
> s2: 7,8
> i1-Vin: 2,8
> i1-Vout:3,1
> i1-E:7,7
> i33-Vin: 2,6
> i33-Vout:3,2
> i33-E:7,5

Sorry, I don't see how these "lists" relate to the input XML.
What kind of lists do you want to create? List<int>?
What is Ea or Eb, part of a list, or some kind of variable name for a list?

> How to do this?

Well the .NET framework has the low level but fast forwards only
XmlReader API to parse XML. Then it has XPathDocument/XPathNavigator for
XPath 1.0 based reading and navigation. .NET 3.5 also has LINQ to XML.

> I need something which is faster. Casue the file is way too large
> 15MB.

Faster than what?

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
On Jun 15, 7:09 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > I have a xml file like the following.
>
> > <?xml version="1.0">
> > <data>
> > <idef units="Vin,Vout,E">
> > <i id="i1">
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="2;3;7" />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="8;1;7" />
> > </sample>
> > </i>
> > <i id="i33"> <!-- The Id is totally random -->
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="2;3;7" />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="6,2,5" />
> > </sample>
> > </i>
> > <s id="s1">
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="2" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > </s>
> > <s id="s2"><!-- The Id is totally random -->
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="7" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="8" unit="k" />
> > </sample>
> > </s>
> > <e id="Ea">
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="9" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="4" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > </e>
> > <e id="Eb">
> > <sample num="1">
> > <sampledata value="1" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > <sample num="2">
> > <sampledata value="8" unit="k"  />
> > </sample>
> > </e>
> > </data>
>
> > Now I want to parse it and make 10 List<> from these.
> > Lists are ,
> > Ea: 9,4
> > Eb: 1,8
> > s1: 2,8
> > s2: 7,8
> > i1-Vin: 2,8
> > i1-Vout:3,1
> > i1-E:7,7
> > i33-Vin: 2,6
> > i33-Vout:3,2
> > i33-E:7,5
>
> Sorry, I don't see how these "lists" relate to the input XML.
> What kind of lists do you want to create? List<int>?
> What is Ea or Eb, part of a list, or some kind of variable name for a list?
>
> > How to do this?
>
> Well the .NET framework has the low level but fast forwards only
> XmlReader API to parse XML. Then it has XPathDocument/XPathNavigator for
> XPath 1.0 based reading and navigation. .NET 3.5 also has LINQ to XML.
>
> > I need something which is faster. Casue the file is way too large

By the following,
s2: 7,8
i1-Vin: 2,8
I meant

List<int> s2;
List<int> i1_Vin;

I need it .net 1.1 dependent hardly 2.0 (if I don't find any way ).

I was thinking if there is any tool or api which will directly output
List<>. and I'll give the description of the xml data. May be in xml
format.

Thanks for the XPathDocument/XPathNavigator names.
I'll check if that works for me.
0
muquaddim (2)
6/15/2008 4:08:09 PM
muquaddim@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a xml file like the following.

This is not well-formed XML.

> <?xml version="1.0">

You're missing the closing "?"

> <data>
> <idef units="Vin,Vout,E">

and this is either missing its NET or its end-tag.

> <sampledata value="6,2,5" />

and this is inconsistent (other multi-valued "value" attributes are
separated by semicolons).

[snip]

You need to make the XML well-formed, and fix the inconsistencies before
you can do anything with it at all.

> Now I want to parse it and make 10 List<> from these.

What's a List<> ?

> Lists are ,
> Ea: 9,4
> Eb: 1,8
> s1: 2,8
> s2: 7,8
> i1-Vin: 2,8
> i1-Vout:3,1
> i1-E:7,7
> i33-Vin: 2,6
> i33-Vout:3,2
> i33-E:7,5

In that order, or in the order in which they occur?

> How to do this?

The following solution uses XSL.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
                version="1.0">

  <xsl:output method="text"/>
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

  <xsl:template match="s|e">
    <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
    <xsl:text>: </xsl:text>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="sample/sampledata"/>
    <xsl:text>&#xa;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="i">
    <xsl:call-template name="getunits">
      <xsl:with-param name="units" select="preceding::idef/@units"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="sampledata">
    <xsl:if test="position()>1">
      <xsl:text>,</xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:value-of select="@value"/>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template name="getunits">
    <xsl:param name="units"/>
    <xsl:param name="index">
      <xsl:text>1</xsl:text>
    </xsl:param>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="contains($units,',')">
        <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
        <xsl:text>-</xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($units,',')"/>
        <xsl:text>: </xsl:text>
        <xsl:for-each select="sample/sampledata">
          <xsl:call-template name="getnth">
            <xsl:with-param name="value" select="concat(@value,';')"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="index" select="$index"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="occ" select="position()"/>
          </xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:for-each>
        <xsl:text>&#xa;</xsl:text>
        <xsl:call-template name="getunits">
          <xsl:with-param name="units"
select="substring-after($units,',')"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="index" select="$index+1"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
        <xsl:text>-</xsl:text>
        <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($units,',')"/>
        <xsl:text>: </xsl:text>
        <xsl:for-each select="sample/sampledata">
          <xsl:call-template name="getnth">
            <xsl:with-param name="value" select="concat(@value,';')"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="index" select="$index"/>
            <xsl:with-param name="occ" select="position()"/>
          </xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:for-each>
        <xsl:text>&#xa;</xsl:text>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template name="getnth">
    <xsl:param name="value"/>
    <xsl:param name="index"/>
    <xsl:param name="counter">
      <xsl:text>1</xsl:text>
    </xsl:param>
    <xsl:param name="occ"/>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="$index=$counter">
        <xsl:if test="$occ>1">
          <xsl:text>,</xsl:text>
        </xsl:if>
        <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($value,';')"/>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:call-template name="getnth">
          <xsl:with-param name="value"
select="substring-after($value,';')"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="index" select="$index"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="counter" select="$counter+1"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="occ" select="$occ"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

and produces the following output:

i1-Vin: 2,8
i1-Vout: 3,1
i1-: 7,7
i33-Vin: 2,6
i33-Vout: 3,2
i33-: 7,5
s1: 2,8
s2: 7,8
Ea: 9,4
Eb: 1,8

> What library should I use? is there any standard way to do this?

XSL is the conventional processing language for XML, but there are others.

> Its a C# desktop application. Is there any way to  directly use the
> xml file as multiple datasource??

I don't understand "multiple" in this context: you're only doing one
thing with it, as you have described it.

> I need something which is faster. Casue the file is way too large
> 15MB.

15Mb of data is going to take a noticeable time to process no matter
what language or platform or data format you use. As it stands, the data
format given is extremely poor design, and processing could be speeded
hugely by expressing the data in a rational form to start with, or by
preprocessing it into usable form beforehand. A faster format might be:

<data>
  <i id="i1">
    <sample n="1" value="2" unit="Vin"/>
    <sample n="1" value="3" unit="Vout"/>
    <sample n="1" value="7" unit="E"/>
    <sample n="2" value="8" unit="Vout"/>
    <sample n="2" value="1" unit="Vin"/>
    <sample n="2" value="7" unit="E"/>
  </i>

You need to balance the redundancy in this format with the complexity of
programming required to exhume the data from an obtuser format.

If the data format has been given to you by those in charge of the data
source, explain to them that it needs to be re-expressed in a format
more amenable to subsequent processing. Responses such as "we can't
change the data format" are generally unacceptable, and an indication
that those responsible for the data are neglecting their business.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
0
<muquaddim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 15, 7:09 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>> muquad...@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I have a xml file like the following.
>>

> List<int> s2;
> List<int> i1_Vin;
>
> I need it .net 1.1 dependent hardly 2.0 (if I don't find any way ).

..NET 1.1 doesn't support generics so you can't use 1.1 and List<T>.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

XML Header

forwarding distribution lists
can someone forward you an outlook distribution list that you can then import into your own outlook instance? Outlook 2003 SP2 -- windows xp pro. The sender can just drag the list from their Contacts folder into the email they're sending to you. Then you just drag it into your Contacts. -Peter "thersitz" <thersitz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Q5fOEJRHHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > can someone forward you an outlook distribution list that you can then > import into your own outlook instance? > > Outlook 2003 SP2 -- windows xp pro. > ...

Read XHTML into XML

How to invoke the xml editor?

Editable list view
Does anybody know how to create an editable list view, with drop down lists also ? like the properties pane for a control in visual studio. Here are a few examples http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/listview/propertylists/article.php/c1041/ http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/listview/propertylists/article.php/c995/ http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/listview/propertylists/article.php/c4177/ But there are quiet a few good property controls on the net (Code Guru, and Code Project) AliR "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42F02...

Validation List not showing external source.
I have a external reference on a Data Validation but the list will not show up unless I have the external reference spreadsheet open. I can manually type in the exact selection and it works fine. Unless I have the refernced spread sheet open, I can not see the list options. Is there a fix for this or is this a limitation on Excel? Any work arounds? David, Did you find the answer? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

show XML schema and values

Distribution List Error...
I have a couple of users that have created a distribution list in their contacts and when they go to send to it they get the following error... Microsoft Office Word An internal support function returned an error Now the funny thing is if I change their settings to not use word as their email editor it will send but only until they log off. When they log back on I have to set it to use Word as their email editor or change it to Rich Text. Has anybody else had this happen? If so, what is the resolution? ...

Fill in a field based on input of data in another field
Hi, I'd like to know if this can be done without VBA, since I'm not familiar with programming....Access 2007 My user has a table that contains countries: [tblAwardCountries]. When she enters a value in her [PermanentCountry] field, she would like the database to check to see if that country exists in [tblAwardCountries]. If it does exist, she would like another field to automatically update to "Eligible for Award". Can this be done without programming? I thought of the IN operator, but there are too many countries to have to type into the expression. Usi...

I don't want OOA to reply to list serve mail
I need help setting up a rule to not reply to list serve messages. Can I use a wildcard in a rule to exclude address with part of the sender's name? An example would be the Langa List. Could I set a rule to exclude anything that looked like Lang****? Romain <Romain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need help setting up a rule to not reply to list serve messages. > Can I use a wildcard in a rule to exclude address with part of the > sender's name? Rules don't allow wildcards. Rules utlize substrings. This looking for "lang" in the sender address...

i have a list i need to copy onto another sheet one by one
I have created an invoice on an excel spreadsheet for a new business and my plan was to use a sales list on another sheet linked to the invoice , using the same fields it worked perfectly the first time using basic = sign, then i discovered that second and subsequent entries to the list would have to be set up again . can excel handle this so that I don,t need to retype after each entry. If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line ...

Offline synch using XML web-services

Last Date in List
Hi I have a table set out as follows, Account Date Text Amount 31405535 01/01/04 nnnn 100000 31405535 12/12/03 tttt 222222 31405535 03/03/05 ttt 122456 There are 5 different accounts which could be entered under Account. The list is a export from out bank statement, I would like a formula to display the last date of transaction per account number. For eg in the above list I would like the formula to return 03/03/05. Can anyone help? TIA Enter your list of account numbers in a column, let's say Column F, starting at F2... G2, copied down: =LOOKUP(2,1/($A$2:$A$100=F2),$B$...

String to xml document

Relay List
Does anyone know where the list of approved IP's from the property page are stored? (AD? Registry?) Thanks. the relay list is stored in the properties of the Virtual SMTP server in AD. Right click properties on your Virtual SMTP server and Connection tab. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:885105C7-74AC-4B69-B627-5778B3EF2270@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where the list of approved IP's from the property page > are > stored? (AD? Registry?) Thanks. sorry, not in AD in exchange system manager, my bad!!! those damn...

Beginner of XML

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

Create Dependent Lists using an INDEX function??
I am a really rookie when it comes to Excel but have managed to create an order form with three drop down lists using the INDIRECT function and the instructions on the following wonderful page: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#TwoWord My problem is that I want to convert the spreadsheet into a webpage and the Spreadsheet Convertor does not support the INDIRECT function. It suggests using the INDEX function instead. Could anyone point me in the right direction. Many thanks Hi, What does your INDIRECT function look like, exactly? -- If this helps, please click the Yes but...

Example eConnect XML documents
MSDN says the following: Installing eConnect schema When you include the schemas component of the eConnect install, the installer places schema files in a schemas folder on your computer. The following schema resources are available: The install places the .xsd schema files in the directory c:\Program Files\Microsoft Great Plains\eConnect9\XML Schema\Incoming XSD Individual Schemas. The files in the directory contain the schema for each eConnect XML document. The install places a file named eConnect.xsd that contains the schema definition for all eConnect XML documents. The install typicall...

Size of Distribution List
Susan, I read your reply below but the article you suggested doesn't apply to this particualr problem. I too am having the same problem. The error I'm receiving applies to "distribution lists" not email messages (per se). The exact message is: "The distribution list has reached the maximum size of your network email server. No new members could be added". This limit seems to be around 200 per list (for me), I can create as many lists as I want but not more than around 200 users. There is obviously a limit set somewhere for the number of members of a dist...

How to fill down without changing the format?
Does anyone know how to fill a cell's formula/value down without changing the format (color, font, etc.)? -- _________________________________________ Todd Bennett Mechanical Designer Celerity Group, Inc. 9660 SW Herman Rd Tualatin, OR 97062 Phone: 888-724-3221 E-mail: tbennett@celerity.net Just drag it down. "T Bennett" <tbennett@celerity.net> wrote in message news:big7g7$8skmo$1@ID-183945.news.uni-berlin.de... > Does anyone know how to fill a cell's formula/value down without changing > the format (color, font, etc.)? > > -- > __________________...

Saving DataSet as XML in ADO format using VB.NET
Hi, I am trying to convert a lot of web reports from ASP/VB to ASP.NET/VB.NET. I would like to save my dataset in XML and then use XSLT to transform the XML. The catch is I would like to have the XML in the format that ADO uses versus the default format in which ADO.NET uses. Currently, I am using ADO within .NET, but I am concerned about the performance and it might improve if I used the native data providers for .NET. I am not sure if I am missing something but how do I save the .NET DataSet to XML in the OLD ADO format? Thanks for you help in advance and it is most appreciated. In the ...

Mailing list #2
I am trying to format an Excel worksheet for a mass mailing for a political campaign. Some households have multiple voters and we would like to then consolidate all to one line and change the name from Doe John,Jane to Doe family. Anyone have any suggestions/ We are pressed for time and short on technical expertise..... any help very much appreciated! ...

XML variable for description on receipt?
Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended descriptions) to display on the printed receipt under the main description. What is the variable to do that? Entry.Item.Description Entry.Item.ExtendedDescription Entry.Item.SubDescription1 Entry.Item.SubDescription2 Entry.Item.SubDescription3 R. "Zorian" <Zorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4425EAC-62B6-46FE-826A-D8BA2AA75DBB@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended > descriptions) to display on the printed receipt un...