Wrong usage of xmlns?

Hi

I need to integrate to a system that has XML like this:
<Calls xmlns="\\SomeMachine\Share\Schemas\Calls1_2.dtd" Version="1.2">
<Call>
<CallRef>Call1</CallRef>
<UserRef>286</UserRef>
<Details>
<Condition>EDITTABLE</Condition>
<CallType>Water Damage</CallType>
<Select0>Water Damage</Select0>
<Select1>386 Kentmore Road</Select1>
<Select2>DE56 1UU</Select2>
<Select3>Fairly Urgent</Select3>
</Details>
<Defaults>
</Defaults>
<Panels>
</Panels>
<Files>
</Files>
</Call>
</Calls>

Basically, they use the xmlns to point to the exact DTD used to parse
the element. The Calls element is actually nested inside other
elements that point to other DTD's in the same way.

Isn't this the wrong way to use the xmlns attribute? I mean, as I see
it, there are two valid options:
1. Use the DOCTYPE to point to DTD's inside the XML
2. Use the xmlns attribute to define the namespace (as declared in an
XSD) the lement must conform to.

Any thoughts? I would like to ask the company that has the other
program to change there ways of doing things, but need to make sure
that the current way they do it isn't valid.

Thanks!

--
eliasen

0
eliasen42 (5)

eliasen wrote:

> I need to integrate to a system that has XML like this:
> <Calls xmlns="\\SomeMachine\Share\Schemas\Calls1_2.dtd" Version="1.2">

> Basically, they use the xmlns to point to the exact DTD used to parse
> the element. The Calls element is actually nested inside other
> elements that point to other DTD's in the same way.
>
> Isn't this the wrong way to use the xmlns attribute? I mean, as I see
> it, there are two valid options:
> 1. Use the DOCTYPE to point to DTD's inside the XML
> 2. Use the xmlns attribute to define the namespace (as declared in an
> XSD) the lement must conform to.

You are right that a DTD should be declared using <!DOCTYPE root-name
SYSTEM "file.dtd"> and you are right that xmlns should be used to
declare the namespace name (in the form of a URI) that elements belong
to. However a namespace can be declared without the need to have a
schema, it is not required to have a schema just because you want to put
your elements in a namespace.
--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
On Aug 6, 4:15 pm, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> You are right that a DTD should be declared using <!DOCTYPE root-name
> SYSTEM "file.dtd"> and you are right that xmlns should be used to
> declare the namespace name (in the form of a URI) that elements belong
> to. However a namespace can be declared without the need to have a
> schema, it is not required to have a schema just because you want to put
> your elements in a namespace.
Thanks, Martin!

I will take the discussion with the partner when I get the chance.

--
eliasen

0
eliasen42 (5)

wrong email address sends
How do I make Outlook send the correct email address and not a business account that I do not want going out with my messages I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly -- are you asking how to force Outlook to send messages through one account rather than another? If so, I need some more information from you before I can answer: What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". ...

What wrong with sumproduct function?
I would like to sum all numbers, which match following conditions, =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402),(C$1816:C$2400<0),(C$1816:C$2400)) press ctrl + shift + enter but it returns zero, and I have checked it, zero should not be the result. Does anyone have any suggestions what wrong with sumproduct function? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric 1. Sumproduct is not an array function. Use Enter, not Ctrl-Shift-Enter. 2. You must convert false/trues to numbers. One way: =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402)*(C$1816:C$2400<0)*(C$1816:C$2400)) Regards, Fred "E...

Wrong Date/Wrong amount
In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download date as well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem is that it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount with a "downloaded" date of 10/9/2003. It is quite stubborn as nothing seems to affect it. Does anyone have any idea of how to correct this? Dirty Harry Harry Calahan wrote: > *In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download dat > as > well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem i > that > it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount wi...

Emails shown with wrong date in overview-screen?
hello NG, i have the following problem: i have made a constellation of folders in witch i sort my incoming and outgoing mail to. now i have found the following phaenomenon: in one of these folders i see a bunch of mail (sent by myself) witch all seem to be sent on the same date, 15. december 2004. but in reality this is the wrong date, they have been sent over a long period reaching back even until 2001. if i doubleklick on the mail and view it the correct date is shown. only in the "overview-screen" where all the mails are listed, the date is shown wrong. what can i do about ...

Help please
I screwed something up and need help big-time. Somehow the default position of the cursor when I start a new document - or Outlook mail message - is in the right center part of the page. In fact, if I even open a document, it's formatted with everything scrunched over to the right. I can backspace and get the cursor to the right and it's not a big problem on documents with simple formatting, but for some complex documents, simply backspacing makes the formatting even worse. HELP PLEASW. -- rpbilleaud For a start, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDo...

What's going wrong in Outlook 2003?
Hello, When I installed the new Office 2003, I had no problems with Outlook 2003. I received and send mails whenever I want. A few days later, I get a message from outlook that Outlook could not make a connection with the server of my provider to get my mail on my computerb (I didn't change any settings!). I checked all my settings and there are good (I checked the mailserversettings, ports, etc) but the result is still the same: Outlook cannot make a connection with the mailserver. After that, I called my provider to ask them what to do. They told me that I must remove all the ...

Estimating memory usage per worksheet
Is it possible to get an estimate of the file size of a spreadsheet by individual worksheet? I cannot think of a worksheet property that would contain this, so I assume that one needs to count sheet elements and apply a per-object memory value (this only needs to be an estimate) to get the estimat. Any help would, as always, be much appreciated Thanks in advance Simon I'd try this. Start a new workbook -- with just a single sheet. Save this workbook. Note the size (using windows explorer). Then against a copy of the real workbook (just in case you mess up), c...

wrong number in cell
In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 } no matter what I try it. This is another example of a problem in a cell I enter { 03E2 } hit enter and it changes to { 3.00E+02 }. Is there some bug in certain cells or with excel 2002 or is there some setting I am missing? Help -- Thanks MK pipco wrote: > In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I > try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 &g...

What Am I Doing Wrong?
The application I'm modifying is a fairly standard example of an MFC MDI app. There are several CToolBars created in MainFrm.cpp. The code to respond to the buttons on these toolbars is in the View.cpp file. One of these toolbars I modified to contain a slider. I derived a new class, CViewToolBar, from CToolBar and modified it to have a slider. I'm having problems with two major things: the correct way to include the new class information so that MainFrm knows about it to create the new toolbar, and how to get the view to respond to WM_HSCROLL messages from the slider. I had ...

Recurring split bills download wrong!
Money 2004: I have recurring bills with estimated amounts and splits. When I change the amount/splits and submit for payment, the check is being handled just fine through MSN Bill Pay. When I download the consummated transaction from Wells Fargo, however, Money is pulling in my ESTIMATED splits instead of my ACTUAL splits for that payment. Hence the splits never match the actual payment amount, and I get a warning. What a pain. This problem started when I switched from Wells Fargo bill pay to MSN. As I see it, though, it's Money's job to keep track of the splits internally, t...

Contact data is in wrong field
Hi all - I need some help with a complicated problem. I am working on a PST file that was recovered from some old data. Unfortunately, the recovery put contact data in the wrong places. Here are a few examples: 1. Contact street address and city shows up in the "Follup up flag" field 2. Contact "Email display as" contains the display as information with the email address, but the email address field is empty 3. Many duplicates of data with slightly different information (Same contact might have 3 copies, one with a missing telephone number, another with a missing emai...

transactions to read (wrong #)
I have two accounts (one is my bill pay account) that are reporting transactions to read even though all the transactions are accepted. Any ideas? -- Mike In microsoft.public.money, Mike Brearley wrote: >I have two accounts (one is my bill pay account) that are reporting >transactions to read even though all the transactions are accepted. Any >ideas? Close Money In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files with Tools->InternetOptions->DeleteFiles. Then open Money with Start->Run and entering "msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box....

Time wrong in meeting requests
We have Exchange 2000 and the following issue. When some (not all) users send a meeting request they are, in effect, one hour behind other Exchange users. For example User A sends a meeting request for 1pm - 2pm to User B. For User B the meeting shows up as 2pm - 3pm. Inversely, if User B sends a meeting request to User A for 4pm - 5pm it shows up as 3pm - 4pm for User A This starting happening on Friday (before daylight savings time for the first user to report it). The time is correct on the systems in question. The time is correct on the Exchange Server I don't have a clue so any cons...

Inventory is wrong, purchase receipts is wrong
Item A in the Inquiry > Inventory > Item Transaction for Site A yields the following: Receipt 12/11/2003 Qty 12 Variance 17/7/2004 Qty (12) Receipt 1/9/2004 Qty 8 Receipt 1/9/2004 Qty 3 Receipt 1/22/2004 Qty 5 Receipt 1/22/2004 Qty 6 Adj 1/22/2004 Qty(1) Adj 1/22/2004 Qty(2) Tranfer 1/23/04 Qty 1 According to this, I would have a total of 20. However, the Transfer on 1/23/2004 is transferring FROM Site A TO Site B. Why is this not a negative? As well, this does not show in the purchase receipts. At the very end, if I add up the quantities from this r...

wrong calculations in money 2004
how much is 5000 (shares) x 13 (dollars per share)? money 2004 says it is 650. it should be 65000. i tried deleting and entering the portfolio entry 3 times but got the same wrong result, it wants to charge most of it to commision which it isnt and i didnt enter it as such. no typing errors either. i tried rebooting the program and the pc. nope! You entered 13 cents instead of dollars. Norm anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > how much is 5000 (shares) x 13 (dollars per share)? > money 2004 says it is 650. it should be 65000. > > i tried deleting and enteri...

Calander is Wrong
My outlook 2003 has Feb 11 2008 as Friday and today Monday is Feb 11 2008. How can I fix this? --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 080210-0, 02/10/2008 Tested on: 2/11/2008 6:15:06 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com What addins do you have installed? Is it this way in every view? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips...

How to sort usage of rented rooms on monthly basis?
I run a Civic Center and we want a template or program to sort the usage of each room by month and be able to have a report at the end of the year. ...

Return Calculations in Portfolio Mgr. has wrong historical data
One of my funds (FADIX) in the Return Calculations view shows shows significantly incorrect prices for the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007 that is skewing the YTD, 1 year, and 3 year return percentages. How do I get the correct pricing info to register? I would have thought that every time Money 2007 updated, it would have captured the correct historical pricing - but obviously I am wrong. Any ideas? ...

wrong addresses
whenever I try to enter an address into the send to column, I get an incorrect address e.g. old address or someone whom I have never even entered into the address book. I am using the feature where you type in the first letter and outlook finishes the address for you. When I check in my address book some of these names are not even in there. Help! "PatK" <vegaspatk@cox.net> wrote in message news:equIKiRBIHA.4160@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > whenever I try to enter an address into the send to column, I get an > incorrect address e.g. old address or someone whom I ha...

What am I doing wrong?
The following pops up a msgbox "OK Bridge; Then it pops up a msgbox "QSRules is null" Trying to use qsRules results in an 'object required" error. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Galen <script type="text/vbscript" language="vbscript"> If Not qsBridge Is Nothing Then msgBox("OK Bridge") end if Dim QSRules Set QSRules = qsBridge.RequestQSRules() if QSRules is nothing then msgBox("QSRules is null") else msgBox("OSRules OK") end if </script> ...

IE8 multiple Tabs, high CPU usage when closing
Hi, IE8 runs on a WinXP Home, pretty snappy system intel dual core, 3gb ram, fast hdd. Ever since the latest IE8 security KB update, whenever IE8 has multiple tabs and it's being closed down, it just locks the whole desktop access for 7-10 seconds. During this time, CPU is 100% in iertutil.dll with the following stack: ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet kernel32.dll!DeleteFileA+0x19 WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xc5c WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xebd WININET.dll!InternetCrackUrlA+0xcdc WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0x2d39 WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0x351d WININET.dll!Ordinal103+0...

Wrong account
I downloaded a bank statemnt into the wrong "Money" account. I then deleted the downloaded info and tried to download again, "Money" didn't give me the option of selecting the proper account. Can anyone help me Thanks In microsoft.public.money, r k wrote: >I downloaded a bank statemnt into the wrong "Money" account. I then deleted >the downloaded info and tried to download again, "Money" didn't give me the >option of selecting the proper account. Can anyone help me Go to the account details of the "wrong" account. Bla...

Wrong store qty at HQ
Hello, We recently counted inventory at one of our store and then we updated inventory at store level using "Store Operation Manager > Inventory Wizard > Task 150: Change Item Quantity". Once we updated qty at store, we did following (partner gave us these steps): 1) Created 401 at HQ for the store where we recounted all the inventory 2) Once 401 was completed successfully, we ran worksheet 501 for the same store at HQ 3) Once 501 was completed successfully, we ran "Wizards > Inventory Wizard > Task 190: Perform Full Item Count Reconciliation" for the store wh...

wrong received times in outlook
I have two systems running Outlook 2002 that will show a received time two hours prior to the time that the messages was actually received. An email is received at say 10:30 am and it will show a received time of 8:30 am in the outlook window. There is only one time zone set up by default when the software was installed. Any fixes? ...

Wrong Recording of Short Sell and Sell to Open transactions
I am using Money 2005 and have a problem that is driving me nuts. I downloaded investment transactions from Scottrade as a Direct Statement (reading this statement is itself horrendous, but that is for another day). My transactions include several Short Sell and Option Sell transactions. For some (many but not all) of these transactions, the Cash Account register shows the amount being deducted from the balance () instead of being added to the balance (Deposit column). That is, the amount shows up in the Payment column rather than the Deposit column. I spent several hours to re-enter the ...