Writing to one trace file from Web Service

Presumably a trivial question...
I want to write trace information from a web service to a
log file using the Trace Class. Is this possible without
closing and opening the Trace in every single web method?

Code:
public Webservice()
			System.IO.FileStream ts = new
System.IO.FileStream(traceFile,System.IO.FileMode.Append);
			Trace.Listeners.Remove
(Trace.Listeners[0]);
			Trace.Listeners.Add(new
TextWriterTraceListener(ts));
			Trace.WriteLine("Constructor " +
System.DateTime.Now.ToString());
		Trace.Close();

	[WebMethod]
		public WebMethod ()
		{
			System.IO.FileStream ts = new
System.IO.FileStream(traceFile,System.IO.FileMode.Append);
			Trace.Listeners.Remove
(Trace.Listeners[0]);
			Trace.Listeners.Add(new
TextWriterTraceListener(ts));
			Trace.WriteLine("Method " +
System.DateTime.Now.ToString());
			Trace.Close();
}
0
nnamroeh (2)

Maybe you need to add the relevant objects to application state or session
state or whatever is appropriate.
Then when a web method is invoked, retrieve the objects and use them.

--
Dino Chiesa
Microsoft Developer Division

"Wilfried Hoermann" <nnamroeh@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Presumably a trivial question...
> I want to write trace information from a web service to a
> log file using the Trace Class. Is this possible without
> closing and opening the Trace in every single web method?
>
> Code:
> public Webservice()
> System.IO.FileStream ts = new
> System.IO.FileStream(traceFile,System.IO.FileMode.Append);
> Trace.Listeners.Remove
> (Trace.Listeners[0]);
> Trace.Listeners.Add(new
> TextWriterTraceListener(ts));
> Trace.WriteLine("Constructor " +
> System.DateTime.Now.ToString());
> Trace.Close();
>
> [WebMethod]
> public WebMethod ()
> {
> System.IO.FileStream ts = new
> System.IO.FileStream(traceFile,System.IO.FileMode.Append);
> Trace.Listeners.Remove
> (Trace.Listeners[0]);
> Trace.Listeners.Add(new
> TextWriterTraceListener(ts));
> Trace.WriteLine("Method " +
> System.DateTime.Now.ToString());
> Trace.Close();
> }

0
dinoch1 (221)
10/9/2003 5:49:52 PM
Maybe you could be a little bit more specific.

I have got a File(stream) and the Trace Utility Class with
the TraceListeners Collection.
I want to add the File to the TraceListeners and write
Trace output from various Webmethods to it.

How could I achieve this?
0
nnamroeh (2)

Problem with my .rc file??
Hi, I use a new picture control ID : IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW Type : Rectangle Color : White In the ressource view. When a run the program, the Rectangle is Black! How i can change that to white? In the ressource view, the Rectangle is white. In the .rc i have CONTROL "",IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW,"Static",SS_WHITERECT,139,28,162,190 The other reference i have in my program of this IDC is : in the *dlg.cpp void CTestDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CTestDlg) ----------> DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW, m_DrawingWind...

Looping through files
Hi, I am trying to loop through a directory of (.txt) files. What I would like to do is append the last 4 days (from today's date) worth of files into one file, and save that file for later processing. Does anyone know or have the logic that I need to process these files? Cheers, GT Use Dir to loop through the files in a folder. Here's a very simple example of appending them to an array: http://allenbrowne.com/func-02.html Use FileDateTime() to test if they are in the last 4 days; presumably you don't add the old ones to your array. I think you want to write the file ...

Totals in one cell
What would be the formula if possible for this setup I'm trying to use? Cell A Cell B 2 67 When I input 2 in cell A, I want cell B to change to 69. I know how to do that but the problem I'm running into is when I come back the following month, and put lets say 6 in cell A, I want add 6 to the already 69 to make 75. So, another words almost like a running balance but within cell b. So, another words, I want to add cell a to cell b to create a new total, then take that new total the next month and add cell a to create a new total but within cell ...

multiple OWA web sites on single server?
Hello, I would like to know if it's possible to have multiple OWA web sites on a single server. Reason I need to know is that we would like to use RSA's securid for OWA but not everyone that uses OWA will be using securid. So I would like to have 2 OWA websites, one using securid and the other not. We are using Exchange 2003 server. Thanks! FC You can have 2 web sites on the same server by 1) using the same ip address but different ports 2) using different ip address and default ports (http 80 or https 443) or 3) same ip address and ports, but using different fqdns as host...

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

Macro Help- combining "CS" files
Below is the macro I have to go to a certain file and combine all spreadsheets. I did not write this macro myself. I just received it and modified it to work for my situation. When this maco is run it gets to the first file and says I cannot change a read only file and says I must unprotect the worksheet. This sheet is not protected but I really only want to copy the info on it anyway. Is there a way to modify this macro to copy the information. I could save all of the "CS" files as new files but that would defeat the purpose of automating this job Any help is greatly a...

Import data from DBF files
What's the best way to import a large dbf file into Access (records from a DBase file)? I have one dbf that has over 220,000 records in it. It gets to about 75% and says "The search key was not found in any record." Everything is patched to the max (Windows, Office, Jet, etc). This doesn't happen with any other dbf file, but they are all smaller. Also, oddly, I can copy and paste 50,000 records in a shot and paste them through a query, but I don't want to keep doing that for every large dbf I have. The Access tables have no problem holding the data, just transf...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

"File not found" and "The form name is misspelled..." errors
I am still bulding a database. It contains no data, and contains no embedded macros. Yet, when I go to build code, I get these errors: "File not found" followed by "The form name * is misspelled or refers to a form the doesn't exist" The problem does not lie in the form that automatically opens when the database opens, and there are no embedded macros (I've read that these are the two main places an error such as this can occur). I did a search in the code box, and do find the two subforms listed even though neither contains any kind of code. I ca...

pst files and VPN issues
I'm looking for suggestions on how to configure .pst files for remote users who access a network using VPN. Due to the large size of these files (often over a gigabyte), Outlook's performance is seriously affected and often freezes during the archive process. What are your company's polices for remote users accessing .pst files and is there a way short of saving them locally to access them without affecting Outlook's performance? If the .pst has to be stored and backed up locally, does anyone have security advice for protecting .pst files with sensitive material? Encrypted f...

How do I create a new XLA Add-In from an old one?
I created an XLA add-in called say myStuff.XLA. I wanted to use most of the myStuff modules, and ThisWorkBook code in a new xla add-in. I copied myStuff.xla to myNewStuff.xla. I clicked on Tools->Add-Ins->Browse and clicked on the myNewStuff.xla. The Add-Ins available Box showed the old name myStuff.xla. I brought up myNewStuff.xla in the Excel Visual Basic page and changed the name in the Project Properties window to myNewStuff. I changed the Form to a new Form name and changed the form label and text boxes to accommodate the new project. Everything compiled ok and was saved. I u...

Exporting data to txt/csv file
Hi: I am trying to export the data to a txt/csv (comma separated) file. Some of the fields has 0.03 or decimal numbers but its' truncating those values while exporting it. While exporting, it doesn't give me any option to specify field data types. I am using Access 2003. By default its using Windows Europian format. Please let me know how to export same values. 2) How to see/modify the import/export specification file that saved ?. -- Regards Ramesh V ...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?
Hi, How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file? I am working on Windows 2000. Hoping to get a reply soon. TIA. regards, Jahfer V P. No particular way I know of. If you have certain privileges you might be able to use DeviceIoControl(), but there isn't much you can do with this information. joe On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:33:02 -0700, "Jahfer V P" <JahferVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file? >I am working on Windows 2000. > >Hoping to get a reply soon. >TIA. > >regards, &g...

XSLT: Creating anchors from outer XML files
Hi, I'm trying to put the links (href attribute of the <a> element) out of my XSLT files, in a XML file, and read it from the stylesheet. I suppose that I have to use the document() function to link to the XML file containing the URLs, but I don't know how to do it. I've tried something like this: This is XML file containing the URLs (link.xml): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <LINKS> <L1> /SomePage.aspx </L1> </LINKS> And this is the code from the stylesheet: <a href="{document('link.xml')/L...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

How to replace two system files?
I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. The files are:- c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys ....and now I can't boot the XP machine. How to get back to before I replaced the files? Thanks. "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uLL8mqL0KHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. > The files are:- > c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys > c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys > ....

Cannot open .msg files saved from Outlook to network share
Some of my users have dragged and dropped emails into their network shares creating .msg files. When they try to open some of the files they get the following popup: 'The messaging interface has generated an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.' This only happens for some of the saved emails. They are using Outlook 2000 from Office. God only knows why they did this and didn't use autoarchive! How many training sessions does someone have to do?! Anyway, anyone know how I can open them or even better, why I cant? Regards Dave ...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

deleting temp web files
When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles Does this delete said files only for the current User account logged on? Or does it delete said files for all user accts on machine ? Just the current user I think. neil "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message news:#FNlBGX3KHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of > Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles > Does this delete said files only for the current...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

Field Service PM Edit List
Hi there A customer has a factory that slaughters chcikens and would like to use the Depot Management along with Preventative management to manage the servicing of their equipment etc. I tried to do a demo to them using the Fabrikam company with all the sample data, but could not get the PM Edit List to generate when I clicked the generate button. I then tried to set it up in another test company using the customers data and had the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem or does any one have any documentation etc on a complete setup of Field Services? Thank you Robin ...

opening Publisher 2003 files in 2007
Previously to installing the update to the Beta I was able to open the files. Now I can't open them. Help. -- MC How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "MC" <MC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24D0839E-39A2-46E2-8BE5-20424BEEB284@microsoft.com... > Previously to installing the update to the Beta I was able ...

Write access to a LDAP server.
Is there any way to enable write access in Outlook to my LDAP server? The LDAP server allows this functionality, Outlook doesn't. Any plugins that can do this? Thanks. Derek ...

MULTI STORE ORDER WRITING-SIMPLIFY
Hi- We have 7 stores and need to simplify the order writing process. Is there any way to write POs for all of our stores without having to do each order separately? We would like for all orders to come up with the items we want to order, being able to change the quantities according to the store. Thank you in advance for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0599_01C6CAFF.B4705610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable J, Have you tried the 340 PO Planner worksheet? --=20 * Get Secure! - ...