What should I use : XMLDocument or Custom tree like data structure ?

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear your opinions about a design solution I am
contemplating.

The problem I am following: Write an editor for a data structure that is
recursive in nature. In other words it is a tree, where child nodes can
contain links to parent nodes. And there  multiple kind of nodes: Here is an
example

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
 Requirements
  Requirement
  Note
  Requirements
   Requirement
   Note
   Track 2 (reference)
   Requirement
   Requirements
   Requirement
    Note
    Track 1 (reference)
    Requirement
  Note
  Blah:
And so on :

The order of the elements is important. So, I need an easy way to swap some
elements for example.
The data structure will be read from and saved to XML file.

Here is my question: Should try to implement my own tree like structure or
should I use XMLDocument and manipulate the data in the inmemory DOM tree?
(Engine Class Collection pattern? )

What are you ideas on this?

I appreciate your input. Thank you in advance.

Sasha

0
no3012 (142)

There's little point in re-inventing the wheel. XML is extremely flexible
and you can write a schema to enforce the data structure and to help
validate the data itself, which can save you a huge amount of development
time. In addition, the .NET framework contains many pre-written (and
pre-tested) classes to manipulate XML, and not just as an in-memory DOM
tree. You can treat XML recursively, as with other tree structures. Finally,
XML and relational data are nearly interchangable via DataSets, which would
make it extremely easy to store the node data in a database, should you need
that capability. I'd recommend using XML.

"Sasha" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to hear your opinions about a design solution I am
> contemplating.
>
> The problem I am following: Write an editor for a data structure that is
> recursive in nature. In other words it is a tree, where child nodes can
> contain links to parent nodes. And there  multiple kind of nodes: Here is
an
> example
>
> Track 1
> Track 2
> Track 3
>  Requirements
>   Requirement
>   Note
>   Requirements
>    Requirement
>    Note
>    Track 2 (reference)
>    Requirement
>    Requirements
>    Requirement
>     Note
>     Track 1 (reference)
>     Requirement
>   Note
>   Blah:
> And so on :
>
> The order of the elements is important. So, I need an easy way to swap
some
> elements for example.
> The data structure will be read from and saved to XML file.
>
> Here is my question: Should try to implement my own tree like structure or
> should I use XMLDocument and manipulate the data in the inmemory DOM tree?
> (Engine Class Collection pattern? )
>
> What are you ideas on this?
>
> I appreciate your input. Thank you in advance.
>
> Sasha

0
arj1 (2)
9/17/2003 5:36:00 PM
Sasha wrote:

> Here is my question: Should try to implement my own tree like structure or
> should I use XMLDocument and manipulate the data in the inmemory DOM tree?
> (Engine Class Collection pattern? )
Depends on how your structure differ from XML and how you are going to use it.
The simplest way is XmlDocument, but it can limit you if you need more than
XML supports. Also if your structure is much simpler than XML, implementing
custom tree could benefit in memory and speed too.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

0
oleg7603 (294)
9/17/2003 6:45:18 PM
"Sasha" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to hear your opinions about a design solution I am
> contemplating.
>
> The problem I am following: Write an editor for a data structure that is
> recursive in nature. In other words it is a tree, where child nodes can
> contain links to parent nodes. And there  multiple kind of nodes: Here is
an
> example

Do you do anything with the data?

IF you do, forget the XML dom part.

Make classes, use XmlSerializer to reconstruct  a class hierarchy from the
XML data (and to save the data out into a XML file).

I am doing a very complex editor for an O/R mapping framework at the
moment - tons of editor controls. It would have been impossible (as in: a
LOT more code) to do all this on top of a DOM model, which is just too
stupid internally.

I use XML as data structure externally, using XmlSerializer to construct the
classes. Works like a charm.

--
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

I agree with you. And that is the path I will follow. I don't know if I can
use XmlSerializer with recursive data structures; I am afraid I will have to
do it manually, which is not a big deal. But otherwise custom object is the
way go.

Thank you for your reply

"Thomas Tomicek [MVP]" <t.tomiczek@thona-consulting.com> wrote in message
> "Sasha" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I would like to hear your opinions about a design solution I am
> > contemplating.
> >
> > The problem I am following: Write an editor for a data structure that is
> > recursive in nature. In other words it is a tree, where child nodes can
> > contain links to parent nodes. And there  multiple kind of nodes: Here
is
> an
> > example
>

> Do you do anything with the data?
>
> IF you do, forget the XML dom part.
>
> Make classes, use XmlSerializer to reconstruct  a class hierarchy from the
> XML data (and to save the data out into a XML file).
>
> I am doing a very complex editor for an O/R mapping framework at the
> moment - tons of editor controls. It would have been impossible (as in: a
> LOT more code) to do all this on top of a DOM model, which is just too
> stupid internally.
>
> I use XML as data structure externally, using XmlSerializer to construct
the
> classes. Works like a charm.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Thomas Tomiczek
> THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
> (Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

0
no3012 (142)

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

excel 2002 data filter
hello this is the case if i have in column A data like this: http://www.abc.com http://www.cba.com http://www.abc.com ok. When i press select complete column A and then select DATA - FILTER - ADVANCE FILTER - UNIQUE RECORDS ONLY i get folowing result: http://www.cba.com this is not what i want. I want to get folowing result: http://www.abc.com http://www.cba.com u see what i meen? Can u help please and thank you very much!!! On Feb 14, 2:10=A0am, Ivanko <Iva...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > hello > this is the case > > if i have in column A data lik...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...