Using XMLDocument - a newbie question

OK, so I've created and loaded an XMLDocument object.
But how do I go about using it?  Specifically, how do I:
1) move to the first node (I assume I start on it when I load the XML?)
2) move to the next node (.read?)
3) move back to a previous node?

Is there a sample program somewhere to show this? (preferably VB.net)

TIA David
0
DavidGB (1)

DavidGB wrote:
> OK, so I've created and loaded an XMLDocument object.
> But how do I go about using it?  Specifically, how do I:
> 1) move to the first node (I assume I start on it when I load the XML?)
> 2) move to the next node (.read?)
> 3) move back to a previous node?
>
> Is there a sample program somewhere to show this? (preferably VB.net)

Assuming you have e.g.
   Dim doc As New XmlDocument()
   doc.Load("file.xml")
then the answers are as follows:
1) I am not sure why you want to "move" to nodes. Anyway, the first node
you have is the XmlDocument node itself. It has various properties and
methods to access its child and descendant nodes e.g.
   Dim root As XmlDocument = doc.DocumentElement
gives you the document element (also called root element) that contains
any other elements.
   doc.ChildNodes
is a collection to access all child nodes of the document. Then you can
apply the methods SelectNodes and SelectSingleNode with XPath 1.0
expressions e.g.
   Dim foo As XmlNode = doc.SelectSingleNode("//foo")
looks for the first element named 'foo' at any level in the document.

2) If you want to process an XML document node by node in a forwards
only mode then you don't need a System.Xml.XmlDocument, instead you use
an XmlReader and call its various Read methods. With
System.Xml.XmlDocument you also have various properties to navigate, you
can access the FirstChild and NextSibling properties

3) If you have accessed a child node then accessing the ParentNode
property is the way back to the previous node. If you have accessed the
NextSibling property then PreviousSibling is the way back. See the
properties defined for XmlNode:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlnode_properties.aspx

But ChildNodes/FirstChild/LastChild/NextSibling/PreviousSibling are the
"navigational" properties the W3C Core DOM defines, the power of .NET's
DOM implementation is certainly its XPath 1.0 implementation with
SelectNodes and SelectSingleNode. So learning XPath 1.0 certainly is a
good idea if you want to become a power user of .NET's DOM implementation.

Also note, if you use .NET 3.5 then there is LINQ to XML as a new object
model exploiting and leveraging the power of LINQ:

If you need more help then it might be best to look at a sample document
and access some nodes so consider to post a short sample and tell us
which nodes you want to access, then we can post some code.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Physical Inventory question #2
I have a store owner who would like to run a Physical Inventory Sheet that does NOT include items with a qty of 0. I don't see a filter for OnHand <> 0. First, I'd like to see if anybody knows if something like this CAN be done. Secondly, I've suggested (and gave her instructions) on how to take all items that have zero quantities that she no longer wants to sell, and mark them as inactive first, then do a physical inventory based on the filter of Inactive = No. Do others run their physical inventories this way? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for any...

Sum Product Question #2
Can you use sumproduct when the numbers in a column are derived from a formula? In my formula all of the numbers in the M column are the results of formulas. My formula returns a value error. If instead of using the "M" column I used another column with just numbers (no formulas) it works. =SUMPRODUCT(--(C22:C5000=C11),--(I22:I5000=B12),--(M22:M5000)) Is there a way round this? Thanks The formula will work if the formulas really return numbers. But I bet (and it's a guess) that your formula returns text under some condition: =if(x99=0,"",A99/x99) (or something...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Split Form Question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAF13.FE651FC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Access 2007 sp2. When I first open a split form there is no data in the navigation bar at = the bottom of the form. It doesn't show the record number or the number of records. Only when I select a row does anything show in the nav bar. Is this normal?? James ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01CAAF13.FE651FC0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encod...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Was this post helpful to you?
Hi gang, Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post helpful to you? " In a case where I posted a question and received numerous helpful responses, which collectively provided the final solution, do I select Yes for each response that was helpful, or just select Yes on the very last post when the topic has ended? Thanks Peter On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:44:01 -0700, Petermgr <Petermgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi gang, > >Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post >helpful to you? "...

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Access 2003 Form Question
I have an access database that I am using for site surveys. In a nutshell, there is a header table with a date and location as the keys and a detail section with the survey results. The detail section shows a series of 30 or so questions(from a questions table) on how the site was rated. I am trying to design a form that populates a yes/no/not available type response in the detail section. The user would either click on a yes/no/NA type box or have a drop down and select the value(whichever is easiest) next to the box. After the user answers the 30 or so questions, an answers table...

newbie here. How do I rearrange how a report looks?
Hi, I have Access 2007. I have created a report with business name, address, etc... along with a list of different types of employees (administrative, clerical, etc..). I am trying to create a report with the Business name and details all in one block (sort of how it would look like if you were creating mailing labels) and under that I want to create columns title administrative, clerical etc... with the names of employees under each column. Right now, my report is totally in columns, and the list of employees is seperated my commas instead of being under each other - like i...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...