Using 'LIKE' with XML Data

I keep some notes in a small XML data file and would like to be able to
search them.

I am building a filter string:

filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "SELECT * FROM " + m_TableName
+ " WHERE FileName LIKE ", searchString);

When testing this produces:

"SELECT * FROM tblFileNotes WHERE FileName LIKE  '%nero%'"

When I then call:

DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString);

I get the error:

Missing operand after 'tblFileNotes' operator.

The table name is correct as is the field name and the same query works
with an Access database. I have also used it without the 'LIKE' operator
and it produces all the records so it is able to find the file OK.

I have spent the morning on Google but most results relate to SQL
databases rather than an XML database.

Am I attempting the impossible? I could read all the records in and search
them but it would be good to filter them out if possible.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I keep some notes in a small XML data file and would like to be able to
> search them.
>
> I am building a filter string:
>
> filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "SELECT * FROM " +
> m_TableName + " WHERE FileName LIKE ", searchString);
>
> When testing this produces:
>
> "SELECT * FROM tblFileNotes WHERE FileName LIKE  '%nero%'"
>
> When I then call:
>
> DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString);
>
> I get the error:
>
> Missing operand after 'tblFileNotes' operator.
>
> The table name is correct as is the field name and the same query works
> with an Access database. I have also used it without the 'LIKE' operator
> and it produces all the records so it is able to find the file OK.
>
> I have spent the morning on Google but most results relate to SQL
> databases rather than an XML database.

I don't see any XML in your post. Are you sure your question relates to
XML in the .NET framework? What type does dtTemp have?

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
Honnen wrote:

>I don't see any XML in your post. Are you sure your question relates to
>XML in the .NET framework? What type does dtTemp have?

It's an XML file I am accessing from a C# class.

The schema from the top of the file is:

   <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
- <FileNotesData xmlns="JGFileManager">
- <xs:schema id="FileNotesData" targetNamespace="JGFileManager"
xmlns:mstns="JGFileManager" xmlns="JGFileManager"
xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
- <xs:element name="FileNotesData" msdata:IsDataSet="true"
msdata:UseCurrentLocale="true">
- <xs:complexType>
- <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
- <xs:element name="tblFileNotes">
- <xs:complexType>
- <xs:sequence>
   <xs:element name="RecordNumber" msdata:AutoIncrement="true" type="xs:int" minOccurs="0" />
   <xs:element name="LastUpdated" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
   <xs:element name="FolderName" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
   <xs:element name="FileName" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
   <xs:element name="Notes" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
   </xs:sequence>
   </xs:complexType>
   </xs:element>
   </xs:choice>
   </xs:complexType>
   </xs:element>
   </xs:schema>

I then use:

DataSet dsTemp = new DataSet();
dsTemp.ReadXml(m_DBPath, XmlReadMode.ReadSchema);
DataTable dtTemp = dsTemp.Tables[m_TableName];

set up the filter here then:

DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString);

where the error occurrs.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,
Jeff Gaines wrote:

> DataSet dsTemp = new DataSet();
> dsTemp.ReadXml(m_DBPath, XmlReadMode.ReadSchema);
> DataTable dtTemp = dsTemp.Tables[m_TableName];
>
> set up the filter here then:
>
> DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString);
>
> where the error occurrs.

Try whether it works if you just pass your condition in e.g.
   dtTemp.Select("FileName LIKE  '%nero%'")

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
Honnen wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>DataSet dsTemp = new DataSet();
>>dsTemp.ReadXml(m_DBPath, XmlReadMode.ReadSchema);
>>DataTable dtTemp = dsTemp.Tables[m_TableName];
>>
>>set up the filter here then:
>>
>>DataRow[] foundRows = dtTemp.Select(filterString);
>>
>>where the error occurrs.
>
>Try whether it works if you just pass your condition in e.g.
>   dtTemp.Select("FileName LIKE  '%nero%'")

Thanks Martin :-)

I was trying to be too 'SQL like', in case anybody researches this the
following work:

filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "FileName LIKE ", searchString);
or
filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "Notes LIKE ", searchString);

and even:

filterString = string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "FileName LIKE ", searchString);
filterString += " OR ";
filterString += string.Format("{0} '%{1}%'", "Notes LIKE ", searchString);

Thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets
Hi All, I have 39 Excel Spreadsheets & there are only certain figures i woul like in each spreadsheet & they are all in the same Coloumn & row. would like these figures to go into another spreadsheet i have create how can i do this?? Is it possible? Can i transfer them over into a ne spreadsheet so within this new sheet i then can caculate them all. Woul appreciate all the help. Cheers Wil -- william444 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- william4444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3399 View this...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Identifying Dublicate names and addresses in Exel data base and r.
How does one Identify dublicate Names in an Exel Data base and remove them H see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicate s http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteDuplicateR ows >-----Original Message----- >How does one Identify dublicate Names in an Exel Data base and remove them >. > ...

Reading a XML on the server
Hi I have two applications(client and server) that pass an XML document but I have a hard time reading the XML document on the server side. So the client application creates the XML document and sends it to the server. On the server side I want to load/read this XML document. Any suggestions would be most welcome, Thank you in advance Serban Serban wrote: > I have two applications(client and server) that pass an > XML document but I have a hard time reading the XML > document on the server side. > > So the client application creates the XML document and > send...

What do you use Excel for?