Useful XML .net classes

These are two small classes I created that I use a lot. Between them
you can access an XML file almost anywhere.

XmlZipResolver
An XmlUrlResolver for files in a zip file

In the java world a file you can pass a filename of
"zip:MyStuff.zip!MyData.xml" and it then handles the MyData.xml file
as the xml file to read. The attached file here does the same thing on
the .NET side by providing a XmlUrlResolver derived class to handle
this case.

This code was about 95% the code from
news.oreilly.com/XmlZipResolver.cs where I cleaned it up a little and
fixed a couple of subtle bugs.

Just use this class instead of XmlUrlResolver. You can use it for all
cases because it calls XmlUrlResolver if the url does not start with
zip: or jar:. Hopefully Microsoft will just add this in to
XmlUrlResolver in the future.

XmlFileOpen
Opening an XML file that requires a username & password

So you need to open an XML file in .NET and it has a username &
password. So piece of cake, you just use XmlUrlResolver.Credentials
except... that only works if it's an http or ftp url that requires a
username & password.

But what if it's a share on a network drive that requires a username &
password to access the file? That gets complicated. Is your app
running on a workgroup login or a domain login? Is the file one a
workgroup or domain? Is it the same domain? Are the required
credentials a user on that machine or a domain user? Or are the
permissions a domain group which requires a domain user set of
credentials?

Each of those combinations requires a different way of accessing the
file. And a couple of combinations are impossible to access, even
though "net use" can do it. This is definitely a place where I think
Microsoft decided it was too hard to do and so gave up.

And if you find ways to implement some of the remaining (very rare)
combinations, please post a comment.

Source code at
http://blogs.windwardreports.com/davidt/2009/11/xmlzipresolver---an-xmlurlresolver-for-files-in-a-zip-file.html

david@at-at-at@windward.dot.dot.net
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
me -- http://dave.thielen.com

thielen (152)

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

avoiding dot net runtime dependency
i am using visual studio 2005 to build a native c++ project, which uses win32 API, but not dot net libraries. but my project does not run on a machine w/o dot net runtime installed. How can I remove this dependency? On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 03:20:40 -0800 (PST), "pravin.chaudhary" <pravin.chaudhary@gmail.com> wrote: >i am using visual studio 2005 to build a native c++ project, which >uses win32 API, but not dot net libraries. but my project does not run >on a machine w/o dot net runtime installed. How can I remove this >dependency? could u paste the command line for li...

How to use interfaces

Reading a XML on the server
Hi I have two applications(client and server) that pass an XML document but I have a hard time reading the XML document on the server side. So the client application creates the XML document and sends it to the server. On the server side I want to load/read this XML document. Any suggestions would be most welcome, Thank you in advance Serban Serban wrote: > I have two applications(client and server) that pass an > XML document but I have a hard time reading the XML > document on the server side. > > So the client application creates the XML document and > send...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

use the @ sign
i have one cell a1 that has this in it Tuesday, November 06, 2007 ii the next b1 i would like to put @7:30pm but i keep getting error @ is the way Lotus indicated a function. You can enter @SUM(A10:A100) in a cell and XL will convert it to =SUM(A10:A100) To start your cell with @, prefix it with an apostrophe - the apostrophe indicates Text, and won't be displayed. In article <88862DC0-DDEB-4245-B2BD-D2102B577B49@microsoft.com>, joen <joen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i have one cell a1 that has this in it > Tuesday, November 06, 2007 > ii the...