Updater through Remote XML: Advice

I am implementing a very simple check routine that goes to my website and
reads an XML file.
The XML file basically contains all info for my apps and their current
status. All I need to do is just read
the version node and compare it to the current node and then advise the user
to visit the website
for the new version. Ive looked at ClickOnce and other methods but I would
like to implement
something simpler. Anyway, has anyone done this before? My XML will look
something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Apps>
  <App id="0001" title="BigApp">
    <!--This is a comment-->
 <Name>Big Application</Name>
 <LatestVersion>1.0.0.0</LatestVersion>
 <DownloadURL>http://www.mysite/files/MyApp100.exe</DownloadURL>
 <News>
  Version 1.0.0
  New feature

  Version 0.90
  -----------
  * Original release.
 </News>
  </App>
</Apps>

Any advice or recommendations as to how to setup my XML file? I alreday have
the code that goes to the
remote server and reads the XML file. I guess im just asking if this is the
way to go with my simple checker.

AGP

That looks reasonable, maybe splitting the version number into its
constituent parts would make comparisons easier but that could also be done
in the actual comparison code and you have no guarantee that all version
numbers follow the same format. (Or perhaps you do as it's your app.)

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> wrote in message
>I am implementing a very simple check routine that goes to my website and
> reads an XML file.
> The XML file basically contains all info for my apps and their current
> status. All I need to do is just read
> the version node and compare it to the current node and then advise the
> user
> to visit the website
> for the new version. Ive looked at ClickOnce and other methods but I would
> like to implement
> something simpler. Anyway, has anyone done this before? My XML will look
> something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <Apps>
>  <App id="0001" title="BigApp">
>    <!--This is a comment-->
> <Name>Big Application</Name>
> <LatestVersion>1.0.0.0</LatestVersion>
> <DownloadURL>http://www.mysite/files/MyApp100.exe</DownloadURL>
> <News>
>  Version 1.0.0
>  New feature
>
>  Version 0.90
>  -----------
>  * Original release.
> </News>
>  </App>
> </Apps>
>
> Any advice or recommendations as to how to setup my XML file? I alreday
> have
> the code that goes to the
> remote server and reads the XML file. I guess im just asking if this is
> the
> way to go with my simple checker.
>
> AGP

thanks for the input. i do the version checking in code and i will attempt
to cover all formats of version numbers. so it should work regardless
if i write 1 or 1.2 or 1.3.5.7.

AGP

"Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> That looks reasonable, maybe splitting the version number into its
> constituent parts would make comparisons easier but that could also be
> done in the actual comparison code and you have no guarantee that all
> version numbers follow the same format. (Or perhaps you do as it's your
> app.)
>
> --
>
> Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
>
> http://joe.fawcett.name
>
> "AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>I am implementing a very simple check routine that goes to my website and
>> reads an XML file.
>> The XML file basically contains all info for my apps and their current
>> status. All I need to do is just read
>> the version node and compare it to the current node and then advise the
>> user
>> to visit the website
>> for the new version. Ive looked at ClickOnce and other methods but I
>> would
>> like to implement
>> something simpler. Anyway, has anyone done this before? My XML will look
>> something like this:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>> <Apps>
>>  <App id="0001" title="BigApp">
>>    <!--This is a comment-->
>> <Name>Big Application</Name>
>> <LatestVersion>1.0.0.0</LatestVersion>
>> <DownloadURL>http://www.mysite/files/MyApp100.exe</DownloadURL>
>> <News>
>>  Version 1.0.0
>>  New feature
>>
>>  Version 0.90
>>  -----------
>>  * Original release.
>> </News>
>>  </App>
>> </Apps>
>>
>> Any advice or recommendations as to how to setup my XML file? I alreday
>> have
>> the code that goes to the
>> remote server and reads the XML file. I guess im just asking if this is
>> the
>> way to go with my simple checker.
>>
>> AGP

Import XML
Is there anyway I can suppress creation of Aggregate columns when I open/import XML into Excel? I'm using Excel 2002 and 2003. Many thanks in advance. ...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

(beginner)validating an xml doc with vb.net
Dear Users, I'm programming a vb.net client; I have to provide a new feature that has to validates an xml document with an existing dtd file (or a schema) associated with the xml document. Anyone knows how can I do it ? Is there any kind of method or instructions that match with my problem ? Any suggest will be kindly appreciated. Best regards. Fabrizio ...

How update entity in post update?

remote login
Does any one have experience using another program like Remote web to route a user to a computer. I need something with a litte more security and features than Remote web offers? Thanks RWW is quite secure. About the only way to get more secure is to go to two-factor authentication, and in that case, I'd still recommend RWW. Just tack on AuthAnvil (www.authanvil.com) -- Cliff Galiher Microsoft has opened the Small Business Server forum on Technet! Check it out! http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/smallbusinessserver/threads Addicted to newsgr...

latest update too MSCFV2

Remittance Advice
Hi, I have a data extract that I can draw from a main system into Excel (or CSV or txt file). From this, I wanted to build a remittance advice into word, in a special layout. The file will be along the lines of: Supplier number, name, address line 1, line 2, city, post code, invoice #, inv amount, currency. The data will be for mutliple suppliers, some with mutliple invoices. Is it possible to create a data merge that puts the supplier address in certain places on the word doc, the same with the invoice details and makes a total. Each supplier will start a new page - is this possibl...

How to call another file in your xml document.
Greetings. I have an app which calls "text.xml", which is stored on a network share. Each user has different text requirements. what I want is for "text.xml" which is stored on the network, to read a file locally on the user's macine (i.e. c:\localtext\text.txt) and populate it with the local contents and display it. So for each user the content would be customized to his liking. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, how. Thank You Hemang "Hemang Shah" <v-hshah@microsoft.com> wrote: > Please let me know if this is possible and if...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

SBS 2003
Hey Guys Got a small issue with two SBS 2003 Premium Edition sites. Both have two NICs installed. One for LAN and one for WAN. Off the LAN we have one Windows 2003 Terminal Server set up. Remote users can be running along sweet as a nut then suddenly without any obvious reason they lose communications to the Terminal Server..? Their VPN session is still connected to the SBS box but they can no longer connect through the SBS box to the Terminal Server with Remote Desktop Connection! They can create a VPN tunnel to the SBS box as they normally do but when they try and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...