trying to READ nested "tables"

The nested option for WRITING XML is pretty clear. I have a problem
trying to READ nested "tables"....

<employer>
   <acct>1234</>
   </employees>
      <employee>
         <lastname>Smith</>
         <ssn>123456789</>
      </employee>
      <employee>
         <lastname>Smith</>
         <ssn>123456789</>
      </employee>
   </employees>
<employer>

With dataset.readxml I get a list of all the Employers, THEN a list of
all Employees, and no indicator of an employees parent employer.

Which is what needs to get to the database, keyed by acct + ssn.

The fly in the ointment here is that the schema is defined by an
outside party, and there is no common column between Employer and
Employee, the nesting IS the relationship. How do I turn this into a
datarelation?  Or is this going down a blind alley?

Some incoming files will literally be hundred-megs or more so we have
been doing the old SAX approach, but I really need to bring it up to
the 21st century.

--

   Gregory Waleed Kavalec
    Chiroptera Fornix Insanus... and Loving It

0
kavalec (1)

Subreports containing Pivot tables and charts
Hello, I have a main report that contains subreports. One of them has a pivot table and another has a pivot chart. When I try to export them to MS Word, the pivot table and chart don't show in the word document.... Any pointers to what could be the problem is very much appreciated... Thank you very much, Nora ...

Need to compare 2 tables and only pull certain records from one ta
I have a monthly sales file that contains several invoices that allows duplicate records of parts. My second table is a different sales file that also contains several invoices and allows duplicate records. I want to match from the second table as a basis. How do I pull matching invoices from the two tables without pulling all the data from the first monthly sales file? UNTESTED UNTESTED SELECT SecondTable.* FROM SecondTable INNER JOIN FirstTable ON SecondTable[Invoices] = (SELECT FirstTable.[Invoices] FROM FirstTable GROUP BY FirstTable.[Invoices]) ORDER BY SecondT...

Join same field on two tables
Forgive if this is really stupid. This is what I am dealing with in terms as simple as I can come up with: I have one table with multiple records (country names) and multiple fields (over 20). I have a second table with that contains only a limited number of records (all of which are also represented in the other table) with only two fields (also represented in the other table). I need to know if it is possible to make the information from the second table "join" with the first table and display the data from both tables in one column. Does that make any sense? You can combine da...

Spelling in new Security Tables in GP v10
There are a significant number of spelling mistakes in the Dynamics SY09000 and SY09100 tables in GP 10.0. These are the new Security Role and Task Master tables. Please correct these for future releases. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www...

Splitting Tables
Hi all Currently I have inherited a Database that has all of the customer and employees in one table. The Table has fields for company name address etc. The problem is when a new customer employess is enter the whole details of the company name address etc have to be re entered. I would have like to create seperate tables to store the Customer names and addresses and then link it to a table containing the customer employees. The table currently contains about 10000 entries so retyping it all is not an option. Is there an automatic way of splitting the tables, removed doubled entries and...

Custom Totals in Pivot Tables
Hi: I have a database that includes a number of brands and markets. For each brand and market there are several fields containing various types of sales data - volume, dollar sales, dollar profit, etc. I want to create several pivot table reports from this data. On at least one of the reports I have a need to create totalsof the sales data for a specific group of the brands. I am new to pivot tables and have not been successful in using grouping or subtotals to accomplish this. Does anyone have a suggested solution? Thanks for your help. Crownman ...

Pivot Tables: Unable to Group and Show Detail
I am trying to group a column of dates by year and month, and I've done it before and it's worked fine. But now it's saying "Cannot group on that Selection". I checked the data and it's in date format and there aren't any blank or null values. It seems like this is a bug because I've done it before with the same exact data. Have any of you had this problem? What am I doing wrong? Thanks! Lis Is it possible that some of your dates are actually text that look like dates? Save the file. Then, in a blank cell type =ISNUMBER(A1), where A1 represents one of...

Pareto Charts and Pivot Tables
I am trying to create Pareto charts using my Pivot Table. We need to make pareto charts, but i want them to be able to update each month without re-making the chart. As of now they are all linked to a Access and all I do is update them. Is there a way to get a Pareto add in that works with Pivot Tables? I have tried several, but it appears they still don't let you reference the pivot table. Help is appreciated. Thanks, Becky ...

pivot tables #15
I am trying out a pivot table for the new equipment in my unit. I am working with XL2007. I made the data according to Debra's( contextures site) advice and created the pivot table. However I am getting two rows for pumps. I am having 23 pumps. Under one row there are 17 listed and in the other 6 listed. How to get them in under one row heading as they are same equipment. Afd Hi I suspect you mean in different columns as opposed to rows. Are they truly in different columns, or are some values left justified and others right justified in the same column? Can you post a small sa...

Network Port Mapping Tables (any tables) in Viso
I'm looking for a "nice way" to build port mapping tables in a Visio Diagram... I have physical ports on a network switch, and the fiber optic port mappings of a patch pannel... example... Switch A, Slot 3, Port 2 is mapped to these 2 fiber connectors (where I get stuck w/ the table) 01-bf07-0001 and 01-bf07-0002, then they increment up. Switch A, Slot 3, Port 3 is 01-bf07-0003 and 01-bf07-0004 It just isn't jelling as a way for a nice table... any thoughts ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions w...

Naming word tables or coding reference library with vba
Hi- I am working remotely in word vba through excel vba. Basically I have programed in excel to create a new word document, add a button, and then add code to the word document for when the button in excel is clicked. The code I am adding to the word document needs to copy a table and paste it (right above the button). I figured out how to copy a table if you give it an index number, but with the other code I am running the number of tables always changes. Therefore hardcoding an index number is a bad idea. I will end up copying different tables each time and not the one I want. Is it p...

Shadow Tables
What is a shadow table and how do I create one? If you aren't familiar with "shadow" tables, why would you want to create one? IE what are you trying to accomplish? patrick mbs dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "-fgw" <fgw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17FB0BCE-CBF1-4E35-96C0-832F7977165B@microsoft.com... > What is a shadow table and how do I create one? I was advised early on in our development/deployment process that in order to store additional data we should ...

Make Linked Tables Read Only
Is it possible to create a linked table that is read only? I use a front end/backend database and would like to creat links from the front end to the backend that are read only. Is this possible? Thanks, Why? It sounds like you're planning to give your users direct use of the tables. Why not use the forms and reports (and queries) as a way of insulating your users from hurting themselves or the data/structure...? Unlike Word or Excel, Access isn't the "end-user tool". Think about a bookcase ... you know how to use it, and there's a fairly narrow set uses. This ...

Locating data in the GP 9.0 tables
Is there a built-in tool or doc that relates the UI fields to the physical table/field location in the DB? I am working on a project to programmatically enter data into Great Plains. At the moment I'm just interfacing with the SQL Server to do this...(Maybe there is even a better to go about this? Great Plains API? Pre-existing stored procedures? What's the best general strategy?) Many of the fields are self-explanatory... some are not. I want the records I enter to be indestinguishable from records entered through the regular UI, but some data I'm just not finding. For exa...

Concatenate fields from multiple tables
// reposted: to straighten table data // I am attempting to use Duane Hookom’s concatenate function without any success. I’ve read many threads, relating to Duane’s function, yet none seem to fit my situation. I am working with multiple tables, with a M:M ‘Joining’ table in the middle Here is an abridged description of my tables and data for illustrative purposes: tbl_Investigator InvestigatorID 1 2 3 FirstName Bob Tim Ted LastName Smith Johnson May tbl_Join JoinID 1 2 3 InvestigatorID 1 2 3 ProjectID ...

Restrictions on Tables
Is it possible to do a lot of restrictions in MS Access tables? If it is, where can i do these restrictions? On Apr 10, 10:06 am, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Yes. > > What kind of restrictions would you want to do? > > If you tell what you want to do then maybe someone can answer the question. > > -- > KARL DEWEY > Build a little - Test a little > > > > "emerl...@shaw.ca" wrote: > > Is it possible to do a lot of restrictions in MS Access tables? If it > > is, where can i do these restrictions?-...

Defining Print Ranges From Pivot Tables
I have a Excel Spreadsheet that contains 3 workbooks, two of which contain data, one of which contains data which my pivot table on the third workbook feeds off. When in the pivot table i have added 4 four more columns of calculations on the right hand side of the pivot table. These columns use data from the pivot table and the data sheet to perform the calculations. As the amount of data changes variably on what is selected from a field within the pivot table i have had to use iserror and isna formulas so when there is only a short table the colums to the right return blanks rather than error...

How do I unlimit field size in using Excel Pivot Tables?
I am creating a pivot table in excel and my source information is not competely copying over to my pivot table field. How do i un-limit the field size in the pivot tab le so the entire source information will be captured? Whilst in your Table, right click, choose Pivot table wizard, hit Back until you see the source selection option that says 'Where is the data you want to use', reselect your entire range and then hit Next and Finish. To set up a dynamic range so that it will expand as you increase your source data, see the following link:- http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01....

formatting pivot tables
I have a pivot table that lose their cell's borders when the data is refreshed. I can replace the borders through normal methods and all is well until the next refresh. Since only the calculated cells seem to be effected, I am sure I am missing something - any ideas? ...

Pivot Tables
....On one spreadsheet, I'm collating raw data each month about members of staff who use our company eLearning portal: name, subject, time spent. I've then created a Pivot Table on another sheet which fits the bill, except in one respect. I've added a comment in the employee name cell if they pass the course. When I refresh the Pivot Table monthly, it isn't in A-Z order (i.e. new employees are added to the bottom). If I re-sort using the A-Z button, any comments remain absolute instead of moving relatively with the employee name. Any way round this or am I updating the P...

most effective way to link ms word tables to excel
I am trying to create a dynamic link between data in an MS Word and MS Excel file. When I copy the table in MS Word and use the paste link command in MS Excel the top couple of rows and left most column from the MS Word table are the only items displayed. Is there an effective way of linking this data. ...

Loosing My Pivot Tables during SAVE AS
Hey - I'm doing some Save As stuff with a file that has a pivot table (using 2003). The pivot table, which is on one worksheet, is using data from a query that is on another worksheet in the file. I take the original file and "save as" the new file. Then, the next time I bring up the "saved as" file, I get a can't open error, the file then opens and I get a message that say's the pivot table has been eliminated, and as it says, thought the formatting is as if it was still there, I cannot refresh the pivot table, because it really is "gone." Any ideas...

Help with my tables
Three tables....Employee Information, Employee Hours, Employee PTO Employee Information Employee Id (key) Employee Name Hire Date Job Title Employee Hours Hours ID (key) Employee Name Start Date End Date Pay Date Sal/Regular Hours Overtime Hours Vacation Hours Sick/Personal Hours Employee PTO PTO Id (key) Hours ID Work Day Vacation Hours Used Sick/Personal Hours Used All seem to link fine in my tables. I open Employee Information table I get a + to add those employee Hours and if needed a + to open their PTO (paid time off) for that particular week. Than I c...

Full outer join on 3 tables. How to?
Hi, I have 3 tables: 1) table a: id int colA int 2) table b: id int colB int 3) table c: id int colC int If I'm given an id (e.g. @id = 2), how do I query the three tables for rows that match @id? I need a full outer join. For example, if table c is the only table containing a row matching @id the return values (colA, colB, colC) sould be: NULL, NULL, n Thanks. Try this: SELECT colA, colB, colC FROM ( SELECT COALESCE(a.id, b.id) AS id, colA, colB FROM a FULL OUTER JOIN b ON a.id = b.id) AS x FULL OUTER JOIN c ON c.id = x.id WHERE x.id =...

I have 2 Access DB with linked tables
In DB 1 is frmTokenDelivery and in DB 2 are tblImageBuild and tblHardwareRequest. I link to the tables from DB1. The DBs belongs to two seperate departments. The two departments perform seperate operations that must be completed before hardware is delivered to the user or to another dept. for further action. My Need: I want to display a date in DB 2 on frmTokenDelivery in DB 1. Field in DB 2 is ProDate (i.e projected dated). Sorry for the long explaination. Any assistance will be highly appreciated! With regards, Sokan33 wrote: > In DB 1 is frmTokenDelivery and in DB 2 are tblIm...