Special Characters

Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for
example '&' to & or '+' sign to ? ?

0
mfraser (11)

MAF wrote:

> Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for
> example '&' to & or '+' sign to ? ?

'&' needs to be escaped as & but the '+' sign does not need to be
escaped in XML.

How you do it depends on the .NET APIs you use, if you use an
XmlTextWriter to create XML then the WriteString method for instance
does the escaping for you.

If you use the DOM then CreateTextNode simply takes your string and if
the DOM is serialized (e.g. InnerXml, OuterXml, Save) the escaping is
done automatically.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

limit no of characters in cell
How can I limit the number of charaters (including spaces) in a cell to 48? Additionally, I'm not sure if this is possible, say it applied to cell A1, once 48 characters are reached, it will then automatically drop down to the cell below to A2 and do the same again. thanks -- rocket0612 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rocket0612's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19492 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375572 Try validation from the Data menu, and select text length...

Is there a way of have more than 255 characters in Excel 2000+ Footer
Hi guys I am trying to export report from my program to excel, but in my reports I have footers that have more than 255 characters. Does anybody knows how to have more than 255 characters in the footer in Excel. Thanks ! Harry ...

how to enforce a character set
Hello all... We have an Exchange 2003 and along with it we have the GFI Mail Essential program.Since I'm in Greece in the disclaimer we have a greek text. When someone sends a mail using only english characters at the receiving end the encoding used it's us-ascii ror something like that with a result the Greek part of the disclaimer to be filled with question marks. This happens allthough I have enforced through Internet Message Format to use Greek encoding. My question is why is that happening ? I mean shouldn't Exchange apply the character set that I have selected for my domain ...

Special Characters
Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for example '&' to & or '+' sign to ? ? MAF wrote: > Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for > example '&' to & or '+' sign to ? ? '&' needs to be escaped as & but the '+' sign does not need to be escaped in XML. How you do it depends on the .NET APIs you use, if you use an XmlTextWriter to create XML then the WriteString method for instance does the escaping for you. If you use the DOM th...

Control character manipulation
Hello In a C++ program, I would like to change the string "ty^Hypescript ^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^ ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^G^G^G^G^Gty^Hypescript ^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^H ^H^M" into the string "typescript" The letters like '^H', '^H^H', and '^G' represents some of the ANSI control characters such as backspace. (the characters are shown on VI editor. So, I think it's possible to process control characters within a code, like a VT100 virtual terminal does.( In deed, I am not sure whether the process is done in a terminal, shell or whatever. I...

Changing the width of private characters
Hello! I've created a few private characters with the Private Character Editor (eudcedit.exe). Now the problem is that all characters, even if they are only a few pixels wide, have been assigned maximum width by Windows. Is it possible to change that? Thimo ...

OWA
Hello, Messages with cyrillic text via OWA to a destination outside the domain are received with question marks instead of the cyrillic text. We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise on W2K3 with ISA 2004 as proxy. Under Exchange 2000, we did not have this problem, but after migrating to 2003, the problem started. Are there language settings that need to be configured on the Exchange server or ISA server? Thanks useregionalcharset http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830827/en-us "landoa" <landoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46760711-053D-46DA-821A-F...

Can't Copy and Paste or Paste Special between Excel Workbooks
We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the paste and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open t...

Specialized ComboBox
Hi. I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the text in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow deletion of items from the list box. I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this - i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown. but no idea as to how to exactly. Help will be much appreciated. Ori, You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)). Then if the user has swapped mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has...

Character counter
Hello, I have created a User form to allow users to enter data onto a report. To ensure that data entered does not exceed the space available I have limited the number of characters that can be entered, I want to put a box on the form that will show the user how many characters that they have available and I would like it to update as they type so they know how much space they have available. eg. 100 characters available to start, as they type this would decrease accordingly, so if they typed "Hello" the box would show 95 available. How can I do this? Thanks in advance...

escaping special characters with DataSet.WriteXml?
Howdy, Is there a way to explicitly escape special characters (particularly & (&amp;) and ' (&apos;)) when writing a data set with the WriteXml method? I know this is supposed to happen automatically (according to MS), but in my case, it doesn't. I'm pulling data from MS-SQL with c#, filling data tables with SqlDataAdapter and a query, adding tables to a DataSet, then WriteXml to a file. Special characters aren't getting escaped. Yes, I've confirmed this by viewing the text directly, not viewing the file through IE, which will convert entities back to chara...

Specials
We are having a special on item X for the month of December. With a the purchase of X comes a free A, B, and C. Now all these are compelety different items. Is there a way to set this up? I only see buy one get one free, buy x amount and get x% discount. Unfortunately i dont think RMS can deal with these kind of promotions - i have these sort running all the time, you can use the mix and match, but it makes the last item scanned the free one rather than the cheapest one, this is workable as long as the till staff know that the main item must be scanned first and then the items which a...

NDR messages generated for contacts wich not-standard characters
Hi, We have an Access database with customer information and this information is imported in AD/Exchange via "contacts" (vbs script). Now, as we live in belgium, there are lots of names containing characters like "ç" and "é" (french characters). When we try to send a mail to these recipients, we get an NDR message stating the following: François Devienne on 14/04/2006 9:44 The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or con...

Special character in text column
I have a column defined as text field in MS Access 2003. I want to insert a string with prefixed of hex02, followed by Carriage Return, followed by Line Feed and ended with hex03. How do I do that manually? eg. (hex02 character)....This is a test.....(Carriage Return, Line Feed, hex03) Thanks Hex(2) & "....This is a test...." & vbCrLf & Hex(3) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u1gDZXnUIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

2006 Special Offers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable For a while I was getting notice to participate in the special offers (I = downloaded 06). I would always opt in but it would give me a server = error message. Now that notice has not come back in a few weeks. = Anyone have an ideas what is going on? adam ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &l...

Stripping Extra Characters?
I have spreadsheet VBA that does the following in another spreadsheet: * User selects CSV * Files is transferred to an array (1 column), before parsing * Files is imported, parsed and formatted on tab 1 * Array is searched for user-defined strings, keeping rows * Array is then imported, parsed and formatted on tab 2 * Pivot table is created and formatted on tab 3 from tab 2 * Tab 2 worksheet is rearranged on tab 4, column by column, e.g. the originating spreadsheet tells it which columns should go in which order The last stage is the problem area. The order of columns is defined by the ma...

Special symbols
How can I display the special symbols in the 0-31 range in a CRichEditView? I have a .ttf font that contains the symbols but can't determine how to map the characters. Thanks ...

Separator Character
Do any of the default fonts in Word/WIndows have an ornamental scroll separator, like the ones used to divide sections in books? There are some fleurons and vine leaves at characters 150-157 and 205-212 of Wingdings. Wingdings 2 has similar ones at 97-104. I'm quite partial to the decorations in the Minion Ornaments font, but that's an Adobe font that has to be purchased separately (I got it with Adobe Type Manager eons ago). Don't, however, overlook the "divider" clip art available. Use Insert | Picture | Clip Art and search for "divider," and you...

What is a difference between SPECIAL Transfer and Credit Card Paym
I have one checking account and several credit cards. The main transactions are: money transferred from checking to credit for monthly payments and sometimes balance transfers from the credit to checking. I am confused when i have a payment to credit card and it is showing on my checking account is it transfer or credit card payment? Because sometimes i get warning that the transaction will get unreconciled if i choose the credit card payment. What is a logic ? Credit Card Payment was invented for people who just couldn't get using Transfer to make a credit card payment. They func...

paste special in outlook
I often use paste special (text) to paste lines from a telnet session into a mail. Can i have this set as default so all i need to do is paste (without the need to go to edit / paste special/select text / ok )? Or is there a shortcut i can use such as ctrl-v ? ...

Problems with special characters in contact names
Hello, when I open a contact in CRM an click on the button "send eMail" I get an popup with an error 500. As far as I found out this only happes if the field "First Name" or "Last name" has german special characters like �, �, � in it. I'm using an english CRM with the german language pack. So the base language is english. This error occurs only if the base language is english. On a system with german base language it works all perfectly. I need to get it work on an installation with english base language. Does someone know how to solve this problem? Th...

How do I record this special transaction: Vodaphone
Hello I own some Vodaphone ADRs. In July they made a mandatory exchange - sadly using the same stock symbol. They exchanged .87 shares for every 1 share. I am using Money 2004 (standard) - how do I record this transaction? -- Leslie ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in th...

Removing characters after tilda sign
Hi, I am trying to remove all characters after a tilda sign: original field text: 86.HCGS.100794..GTEW~MPVERC desired field text: 86.HCGS.100794..GTEW I created the following module, but it does not recognize the "*" wildcard and doesn't work, any ideas? Option Compare Database Function TildaReplace(sInput As String) As String Dim s() As String, i As Long Dim sDelim As String sDelim = "~*| " s = Split(sDelim, "|") For i = LBound(s) To UBound(s) sInput = Replace(sInput, s(i), "") Next TildaReplace = sInput End Function Thank you. ...

Counting text characters in a row
This problem is likely very simple however I'm new to speadsheets. I've created a spresdsheet to record attendace at work. in each row have an "H" or "S" to denote holiday or sickness respectively, agains each name. How do I count the number of "H's" in a row to tot up the number o days holiday taken. Sorry if this is very basic, but so is my spreadsheet knowledge. Ala -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi ;), Dargo wrote: > *This problem is likely very simple however I'm new to speadsheets. > I've created a spresdsheet...

How do I keep "SPECIAL" being auto-completed as "SPECIAL DELIVERY"?
Word 2004 OS. 10.6.2 I have occasion to type the word "SPECIAL" right-justified in capital letters. When I do, Word 2004 auto-completes it as "SPECIAL DELIVERY". How do I stop Word from doing this? ...