Reading XML Encoding errors

I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in the
given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
After some research the character in question is the copyright character. My
question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
files. I want to be able to catch this error
and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output a
copy
that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and all?

Thanks for any help
AGP

"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
> files. I want to be able to catch this error
> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
> not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
> it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.

--
 M S   Herfried K. Wagner
M V P  <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

AGP wrote:
> I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in the
> given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
> After some research the character in question is the copyright character. My
> question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
> files. I want to be able to catch this error
> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
> not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
> it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

Without a BOM, without an XML declaration (and without any protocol like
HTTP declaring an encoding( an XML parser assumes UTF-8 so I doubt that
"enforcing" UTF-8 solves the problem.
You will need to find out which encoding those XML documents have, then
you can "enforce" that for instance doing e.g.
   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create(New
StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.GetEncoding("encoding-name")))

> As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
> originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output a
> copy
> that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and all?

Yes, should be possible by passing an XmlReader reading the XML to the
WriteNode method of an XmlWriter that uses the XmlWriterSettings with
Indent = True.
So pseudo code is e.g.
   Dim WriterSettings As New XmlWriterSettings()
   WriterSettings.Indent = True
   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create("input.xml")
     Using Writer As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("output.xml",
WriterSettings)
       Writer.WriteNode(Reader, False)
     End Using
   End Using

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hirf-spam-me-here@gmx.at> wrote in message
> "AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
>> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
>> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
>> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
>> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
>> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my
>> older files. I want to be able to catch this error
>> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file
>> does not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to
>> interpret it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.
>
> IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.

ok so then why do i get the error? I did a test and loaded the XML into
notepad
and then saved that file as Text UTF-8 and it seems that file is read
correctly. So my
question is why does the original not load properly?

AGP

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> AGP wrote:
>> I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
>> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
>> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
>> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
>> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
>> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my
>> older files. I want to be able to catch this error
>> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file
>> does not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to
>> interpret it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.
>

> Without a BOM, without an XML declaration (and without any protocol like
> HTTP declaring an encoding( an XML parser assumes UTF-8 so I doubt that
> "enforcing" UTF-8 solves the problem.
> You will need to find out which encoding those XML documents have, then
> you can "enforce" that for instance doing e.g.
>   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create(New
> StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.GetEncoding("encoding-name")))

the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
copyright character.
Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

>> As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
>> originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output
>> a copy
>> that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and
>> all?
>
> Yes, should be possible by passing an XmlReader reading the XML to the
> WriteNode method of an XmlWriter that uses the XmlWriterSettings with
> Indent = True.
> So pseudo code is e.g.
>   Dim WriterSettings As New XmlWriterSettings()
>   WriterSettings.Indent = True
>   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create("input.xml")
>     Using Writer As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("output.xml",
> WriterSettings)
>       Writer.WriteNode(Reader, False)
>     End Using
>   End Using

ill try this.

AGP

"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
>> IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.
>
> ok so then why do i get the error? I did a test and loaded the XML into
> notepad
> and then saved that file as Text UTF-8 and it seems that file is read
> correctly. So my
> question is why does the original not load properly?

Maybe it's stored in an encoding other than UTF-8, Windows ANSI, for
example.

--

AGP wrote:

> the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
> copyright character.

The copyright character is part of Unicode so there is nothing
"non-standard" about it in terms of Unicode or UTF-8. If you get an
error then the document is not UTF-8 encoded. If you get the error for
that character only then the document is perhaps Windows-1252 encoded.

> Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
> file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
0
mahotrash (1778)
10/1/2007 12:41:47 PM
On Oct 1, 7:41 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> AGP wrote:
> > the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
> > copyright character.
>
> The copyright character is part of Unicode so there is nothing
> "non-standard" about it in terms of Unicode or UTF-8. If you get an
> error then the document is not UTF-8 encoded. If you get the error for
> that character only then the document is perhaps Windows-1252 encoded.
>
> > Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
> > file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

>         Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
If the original file comes from a Zip file and I extract it, that
would not change its encoding correct? it should retain its original
encoding?
Once I figure this out, how can i load the XML file without altering
the original? I eventually want to load it, read it, parse it, then
output it to another XML file, but at this point I cant even load it.

AGP

AGP

0
sindizzy1 (1)
10/1/2007 10:29:59 PM
DIOS wrote:

> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?

Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no
way to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should
be an XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not
UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoded.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
> DIOS wrote:
>
>> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
>> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
>
> Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no way
> to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should be an
> XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not UTF-8 or
> UTF-16 encoded.

I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may end
up
with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a plain
old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
declaration then
the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
why
I still get an error.

AGP wrote:

> I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may end
> up
> with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
> the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a plain
> old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
> declaration then
> the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
> why
> I still get an error.

Try whether using
   New StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.Default)
works with those files.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> wrote in message

> "Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> DIOS wrote:
>>
>>> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
>>> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
>>
>> Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no way
>> to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should be an
>> XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not UTF-8 or
>> UTF-16 encoded.
>>

> I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may
> end
> up
> with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
> the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a
> plain
> old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
> declaration then
> the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
> why
> I still get an error.

i finally got a hold of the provider and sure enough as you guys stated
there was one character
that was written in the wrong encoding. so when the XML reader assumes a
UTF-8 and encounters
this one character (an ISO character) it errors out. Thanks for all the
advice.

AGP

0x800CCC90 error message Outlook 2003
"Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). Server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message. Moved from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 with the purchase of a new computer and trying to set up the email accounts for myself and my wife with our ISP. Set up my wife's account, and she's able to send and receive no problem. I used the exact same setup routine on my account, and ran into "...

Reading .wks file

xml config file...
hello, I ve a Windowsapplication with a configuration file app.config... (it's in xml) code app.config: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <configSections> <section name = "MyNameValueSection" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler" /> </configSections> <MyNameValueSection> <add key="MyKey" value="MyValue" /> </MyNameValueSection> <appSettings> <add key="test" value="MeinInhalt" /> </appSettings> </configurati...

SFO Task Synch Error
A client's SFO is throwing errors when you create a task, either from the SFO Create a CRM Task button or if you open a contact within SFO and then go to Activities> New Activity>Task. The first way, you can create the task and when you save it, you get an error "An error occurred while trying to synchronize the task information to the Microsoft CRM System." Trying to first open the contact and creating a task actually saves the task, but first you get an error message. I turned dev errors on in SFO and here's the info: Description: An unhandled exception occurre...

File won't open as read only

error #12
i receive an (error:object does not support this property or method "viewctl1.outlookapplication") when i go to hotmail in outlook. no problem with msn mail - any ideas! ...

IMAP setup error message
Here is my complete error message: Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system. Configuration: Account: Cliff-WC Server: mail.warmncozies.com User name: cliff@warmncozies.com Protocol: IMAP Port: 143 Secure (SSL): 0 Code: 800ccc0e I used the same configuration to set up mail on my iPhone. Any ideas? "Dell_Cliff" wrote: > Here is my complete error message: > > Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network > errors. ...

Money 2003
Trying to open money 2003 (Windows XP) and when I try to type the password w/ the first key stroke it says error occurred loading the component report.dll. Need to re-install money. I have tried to reinstall w/ the system disks that came w/ my computer and it seems to only let me do a full system restore. I can not find the option to just install one program. Is there any place I can download that file or reinstall from online? Thank you in advance. Do a search on Google. You can find several DLL libraries out there. I just did one and found the "report.dll" file here: ...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Binding ASP.NET Menu to XML
I have created a XmlDocument that contains the exact layout that siteMap uses, and then I bind my Menu object to it: Dim xml As XmlDocument xml = DirectCast(Session("MenuData"), XmlDocument) Dim xmlDS As New XmlDataSource() xmlDS.Data = xml.OuterXml MainMenu.DataSource = xmlDS Dim mb As New MenuItemBinding() mb.DataMember = "SiteMapNode" mb.TextField = "Title" mb.NavigateUrlField = "url" MainMenu.DataBindings.Add(mb) MainMenu.DataBind() The problem is when it dis...

#NUM! Error
Getting #NUM! error with this formula =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!A:A="Alkalume 143")*(Sheet1!B:B="January"),Sheet1! D:D) Can someone help as to why. Using excel 2003, saved as xls Thanks in advance On Jan 19, 1:38=A0pm, Dick <bobde...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Getting #NUM! error with this formula > =3DSUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!A:A=3D"Alkalume 143") >*(Sheet1!B:B=3D"January"),Sheet1!D:D) > Can someone help as to why. > Using excel 2003, saved as xls XL2003 does not support references in the form A:A in SUMPRODUCT. That is a feature of XL2007 and later...

reading confirmation

macro to continue running if error
Hi, I have the following macro that is working fine. It is looking at a specified worksheet array and executing the macro "Filter" on each worksheets. However, in case one of the worksheet is not existing, I would like the macro to pass the non existing worksheet and continue running on the next available worksheet. I tried adding the following statement: "On Error Resume Next" at the beginning but it is passing everything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sub UpdateAll() For Each sh In Worksheets(Array("1", "2", "3", ...

Error connecting Outlook 2007 to exchange server.
Hello, I'm trying to conect my outlook 2007 to exchange server 2003 but it gives me an error displaying that the exchange computer might be disconected or I'm having network problems. The computer I'm trying to conect is registered in the domain and I'm using the correct account. The client computer has been formated and before all worked fine. I have other computer clients with outlook 2007 that work fine with exchange server with accounts that have the exact same privileges that the one I'm trying to use. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks ...

conversion error 06-08-04
Hello All, i am currently converting my database from 97 to 2003. When i converted it over i got an error in one of my forms. "Error loading ActiveX control 'datestart' on form or report" Any one got any ideas? Thanks very much Eoin Hi Eoin, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. You might have a missing reference in your database. To check, go to Modules and click New to create a new module, or open an existing module in design view. This will open the Visual Basic Editor window. Go to Tools, References. Look at the top at t...

Error creating new company
I'm getting an error when creating a new company in GP8g44. It starts the creation process before erroring out with the error: The stored procedure startTheProcess() of form duSQLInstall : 299 : Pass Through SQL returned the following results: DBMS: 213, Great Plains: 0. I did find that the database is created on the SQL server, however it isn't populated and does not show up in the GP dropdown. thanks, justin Are you creating the new company on the system with the SQL folder? You can only create new companies on the workstation where the initial SYSTEM install was perfor...

Cannot delete xml file - file based event scheduling
Hi, I have a report scheduled with File based event scheduling in CR XI Server version 11.5. The report is created with XML file as its datasource. The report will be triggered if the event of xml file is created in the source directory. As per the schedule, it will look for the event to occur every 1 minute. Since I need to enerate this report everytime the file comes into the directory, I have to delete the file after he report is generated, so that, next time the file comes in, the report will be generated again. After the report is run for the first time successfuly as the event occurs...

Outlook 2000 Calendar error
Hi, I get an error when Outlook tries to update the Free/Busy data on it's normal schedule (as set in Tools...Options menu!) It says unable to update public free/busy data, cannot connect to the mail service provider etc I have no trouble with email or anything else, and the calendar works fine apart from that.... any ideas? thanks Philip ...

PA Revenue Recognition
(Running v8 with SP5) We're having an issue with Revenue Recognition on a particular project. After running RR, if we go into the Distribution screen the debits do not equal the credits. I have not been able to find any knowledgebase articles on this particular issue. If any of you have run into this before and could provide me with any tips that would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, --Nathan ...

The memory could not be "read".

SQL Reporting services error
I just installed SQL Reporting services. CRM is OK but when I try to access the reporting services web pages I get... Server Error in '/SQLReports' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Assembly microsoft.crm.platform.types.dll security permission grant set is incompatible betw...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

run-time error 429
ok..I hope I am almost done bugging...but I finally got scanner, cash drawer, and printer working..hopefully...I havent got the pole display working as of yet..stil have weird symbols..no biggie...heres what I have done...I installed EPSON OPOS for .net and thats how I sort of got things to work...I went to go into Manager to test it all and I got this error Active X component cant create object... please help I am at final stages..I hope. never mind I foound a link and it worked...I found it after I came here.... "Angelique" wrote: > ok..I hope I am almost done bugging.....