Problem getting node

I'm having a problem in by VB.net 2005 application. When i try to get a node
from my app.config file the node come back with "nothing". The xmldocment
loads OK, but I can't retrive a node. The app.config file is listed below
and the code is listed below that, the line with "-->>" is where i try to
get the node. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong.

A dump of the xmlDocument is listed below the code.

Note: "MyKey" is set to "Reports"

Thank,
John
johnw@iirp.coedu.usf.edu

App.config file
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
  <configSections>
  </configSections>
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="My.MySettings.DataConnectionString"
connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=C:\Ingredients_Data.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />
  </connectionStrings>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="Reports" value="C:\current\Reports.xls" />
    <add key="Calendar" value="C:\current\Calendar.xls" />
    <add key="ClaimContinuum"
value="C:\current\ClaimContinuumReportBuild.xls" />
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

Public Function Save_Config_Parameter(ByVal MyKey As String, ByVal MyValue
As String) As String

 Dim XmlDocument As New XmlDocument
 Dim XmlNode As XmlNode
 Dim XmlRoot As XmlNode
 Dim XmlKey As XmlNode
 Dim XmlValue As XmlNode

 Save_Config_Parameter = ""
 XmlDocument.Load(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ConfigurationFile)--->> XmlNode =XmlDocument.DocumentElement.SelectSingleNode("//configuration/appSettings/add[@key=""" & MyKey & """]") If XmlNode Is Nothing Then  ' The node does not exist, let's create it  XmlNode = XmlDocument.CreateNode(XmlNodeType.Element, "add", "")  ' Adding the Key attribute to the node, keep in mind, Xml tokens are casesensitive  ' We should use 'key' instead of 'Key'  XmlKey = XmlDocument.CreateNode(XmlNodeType.Attribute, "key", "")  XmlKey.Value = MyKey  XmlNode.Attributes.SetNamedItem(XmlKey)  ' Adding the key value, once again, remember that Xml tokens are casesensitive  XmlValue = XmlDocument.CreateNode(XmlNodeType.Attribute, "value", "")  XmlValue.Value = MyValue  XmlNode.Attributes.SetNamedItem(XmlValue)  ' Add the new node to the root  XmlRoot =XmlDocument.DocumentElement.SelectSingleNode("/configuration/appSettings")  If Not XmlRoot Is Nothing Then   XmlRoot.AppendChild(XmlNode)  Else   Save_Config_Parameter = "ERROR"  End If Else    '  ' The node exist, save the new value  '  XmlNode.Attributes.GetNamedItem("value").Value = MyValue End If XmlDocument.Save(Application.ExecutablePath & ".config") XmlDocument = NothingEnd Function=======================================================================>? XmlDocument{System.Xml.XmlDocument}    Attributes: Nothing    BaseURI: "file:///C:/John/bin/Debug/App.vshost.exe.config"    ChildNodes: {System.Xml.XmlChildNodes}    DocumentElement: {System.Xml.XmlElement}    DocumentType: Nothing    FirstChild: {System.Xml.XmlDeclaration}    HasChildNodes: True    Implementation: {System.Xml.XmlImplementation}    InnerText: ""    InnerXml: "<?xml version="1.0"?><configurationxmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"><configSections></configSections><connectionStrings><addname="My.MySettings.DataConnectionString"connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DataSource=C:\Ingredients_Data.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/></connectionStrings><appSettings><add key="Reports"value="C:\current\Reports.xls" /><add key="Calendar"value="C:\current\Calendar.xls" /><add key="ClaimContinuum"value="C:\current\ClaimContinuumReportBuild.xls"/></appSettings></configuration>"    IsReadOnly: False    Item: In order to evaluate an indexed property, the property must bequalified and the arguments must be explicitly supplied by the user.    LastChild: {System.Xml.XmlElement}    LocalName: "#document"    Name: "#document"    NamespaceURI: ""    NameTable: {System.Xml.NameTable}    NextSibling: Nothing    NodeType: Document {9}    OuterXml: "<?xml version="1.0"?><configurationxmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"><configSections></configSections><connectionStrings><addname="My.MySettings.DataConnectionString"connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DataSource=C:\Ingredients_Data.mdb" providerName="System.Data.OleDb"/></connectionStrings><appSettings><add key="Reports"value="C:\current\Reports.xls" /><add key="Calendar"value="C:\current\Calendar.xls" /><add key="ClaimContinuum"value="C:\current\ClaimContinuumReportBuild.xls"/></appSettings></configuration>"    OwnerDocument: Nothing    ParentNode: Nothing    Prefix: ""    PreserveWhitespace: False    PreviousSibling: Nothing    SchemaInfo: {System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaInfo}    Schemas: {System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSet}    Value: Nothing>

Hi John

The problem I believe lies in the fact that your XML falls under the
default namespace
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"

And your xpath expression is not namespace aware.

That is why your Xpath expression doesn't work as you hope - i.e
XmlNode =
XmlDocument.DocumentElement.SelectSingleNode("//configuration/appSettings/add[@key="""
& MyKey & """]")

i.e this always sets XmlNode to null

A quick work around would be to remove the namespace from your Xml to
get your code rolling and xpath working.

- however as has been quoted elsewhere on this group
"Changing the XML to remove xmlns is usually not the right way to solve
the problem but rather an attempt to circumvent the problem."

For more info on namespaces & xpath in .NET read:
Article by Martin Honnen -
www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/34022/fid/616
&
"XPath Queries with Namespaced Mapped Prefixes" in MSDN

Dickster

0
gdick (75)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Getting Type to Take the Shape of Circles, Autoshapes
I am trying to get type (say a paragraph or two of 9-point type) to take the inside shape of a circle, oval, or other Autoshape. It seems that I was easily able to do this a couple of years ago. I recently added CenoPDF to Microsoft programs and I am wondering if this somehow took away my ability to do this, though CenoPDF has nothing to do with what I am trying to do as related to this question. At present, the type will only take a square or rectangular shape in a circle or other Autoshape. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!! See if the Word Art function is what you us...

sync problems

Date problem

Installation Problem!!

Office 2007 - HELP

How to get a Dial-up Connection dialog box?
I just got Outlook 2003 with new laptop which I carry back and forth to work. I use the same ISP at both locations, but with different dial-up phone numbers. When I launch Internet Explorer, I get a "Dial-up Connection" dialog box that lets me select which phone number to use. I want to get that same dialog box if I'm not already online and I launch Outlook 2003, but I can't figure out a way to get Outlook to give it to me. I had Outlook Express on my old laptop, and it gave me the same dialog box as IE. Is that function no longer available? -- Friday714 Set th...

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

How can you get back a lost part of a document?
After typing 3 or 4 additional pages to saved document, I don't know what I hit but I lost all the added work. Is there a way to get it back? If the document has not been closed since the error - CTRL+Z (Undo) will restore the text. If the document has been closed and the changes not saved, then there is nothing to recover. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<...

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...