new xml file is larger than the original

i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from
another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net
program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other
program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my
application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?>
when i didn't tell it to.

how do i duplicated a xml file and only add the xml element that i want to
insert. where did the extra 70k come from.

thanks

here is my code:

        Dim newEvtEnrollElem As XmlElement = Nothing
        Dim str1, str2 As String

        str1 = strPath.Substring(0, strPath.LastIndexOf("."))
        str2 = str1.ToString.Remove(0, 42)

        newEvtEnrollElem =
CType(xDoc.SelectSingleNode("AutomationControl/EventEnrollments"), XmlElement)

        str1 = strPath.Substring(0, strPath.LastIndexOf("."))
        str2 = str1.ToString.Remove(0, 42)

        If newEvtEnrollElem IsNot Nothing Then

            Dim EvtEnrollElem As XmlElement =
xDoc.CreateElement("EventEnrollment")
            Dim EvtEnrollAttr As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("InstanceNumber")

            EvtEnrollAttr.Value = "3744"
            EvtEnrollElem.Attributes.Append(EvtEnrollAttr)

            EvtEnrollElem.InnerXml =
"<BackwardReferences/><EventEnrollmentProperties><EnabledReference/><EventParameters><SetpointReference/></EventParameters><EventSources/></EventEnrollmentProperties><GeneralProperties><Description/></GeneralProperties>"

            Dim EvtEnrollProp_AckRequiredAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("AckRequired")
            EvtEnrollProp_AckRequiredAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_EvtEnabledAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("EventEnable")
            EvtEnrollProp_EvtEnabledAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_EvtTypeAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("EventType")
            EvtEnrollProp_EvtTypeAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_NotifyClassAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("NotifyClass")
            EvtEnrollProp_NotifyClassAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_NotifyTypeAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("NotifyType")
            EvtEnrollProp_NotifyTypeAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_PresentValueAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("PresentValue")
            EvtEnrollProp_PresentValueAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_ToFaultTextAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ToFaultText")
            EvtEnrollProp_ToFaultTextAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_ToNormalTextAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ToNormalText")
            EvtEnrollProp_ToNormalTextAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtEnrollProp_ToOffNormalTextAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ToOffNormalText")
            EvtEnrollProp_ToOffNormalTextAttrNode.Value = ""

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_AckRequiredAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_EvtEnabledAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_EvtTypeAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_NotifyClassAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_NotifyTypeAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_PresentValueAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_ToFaultTextAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_ToNormalTextAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").SetAttributeNode(EvtEnrollProp_ToOffNormalTextAttrNode)

            Dim EnRef_ObjKeyAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ObjectKey")
            EnRef_ObjKeyAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EnRef_PropName As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("PropertyName")
            EnRef_PropName.Value = ""

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EnabledReference").SetAttributeNode(EnRef_ObjKeyAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EnabledReference").SetAttributeNode(EnRef_PropName)

            Dim EvtPara_BitMaskAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("BitMask")
            EvtPara_BitMaskAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim EvtPara_DeadbandAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("Deadband")
            EvtPara_DeadbandAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_HighDiffLimitAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("HighDiffLimit")
            EvtPara_HighDiffLimitAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_HighLimitAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("HighLimit")
            EvtPara_HighLimitAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_ListOfBitStringValuesAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ListOfBitStringValues")
            EvtPara_ListOfBitStringValuesAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_ListOfValuesAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ListOfValues")
            EvtPara_ListOfValuesAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_LowDiffLimitAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("LowDiffLimit")
            EvtPara_LowDiffLimitAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_LowLimitAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("LowLimit")
            EvtPara_LowLimitAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim EvtPara_RefPropIncrAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ReferencedPropertyIncrement")
            EvtPara_RefPropIncrAttrNode.Value = "1"
            Dim EvtPara_TimeDelayAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("TimeDelay")
            EvtPara_TimeDelayAttrNode.Value = "60"
            Dim EvtPara_TimeIntervalAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("TimeInterval")
            EvtPara_TimeIntervalAttrNode.Value = "1"

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_BitMaskAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_DeadbandAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_HighDiffLimitAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_HighLimitAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_ListOfBitStringValuesAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_ListOfValuesAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_LowDiffLimitAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_LowLimitAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_RefPropIncrAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_TimeDelayAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").SetAttributeNode(EvtPara_TimeIntervalAttrNode)

            Dim SetPointRef_ObjKeyAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ObjectKey")
            SetPointRef_ObjKeyAttrNode.Value = ""
            Dim SetPointRef_PropNameAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("PropertyName")
            SetPointRef_PropNameAttrNode.Value = ""

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").Item("SetpointReference").SetAttributeNode(SetPointRef_ObjKeyAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("EventEnrollmentProperties").Item("EventParameters").Item("SetpointReference").SetAttributeNode(SetPointRef_PropNameAttrNode)

            Dim GP_AttrNode As XmlAttribute = xDoc.CreateAttribute("Attr")
            GP_AttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim GP_InstNumAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("InstanceNumber")
            GP_InstNumAttrNode.Value = "3744"
            Dim GP_IsConfigAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("IsConfigured")
            GP_IsConfigAttrNode.Value = "0"
            Dim GP_ObjNameAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ObjectName")
            GP_ObjNameAttrNode.Value = "EventEnrollment"
            Dim GP_ObjTypeAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("ObjectType")
            GP_ObjTypeAttrNode.Value = "9"
            Dim GP_SchemaVerAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("SchemaVer")
            GP_SchemaVerAttrNode.Value = "1.4"
            Dim GP_TraceOptionsAttrNode As XmlAttribute =
xDoc.CreateAttribute("TraceOptions")
            GP_TraceOptionsAttrNode.Value = "0"

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_AttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_InstNumAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_IsConfigAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_ObjNameAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_ObjTypeAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_SchemaVerAttrNode)

EvtEnrollElem.Item("GeneralProperties").SetAttributeNode(GP_TraceOptionsAttrNode)

            newEvtEnrollElem.AppendChild(EvtEnrollElem)

        End If

        Dim wrtr As XmlTextWriter = New XmlTextWriter("C:\" + str2 + ".xml",
Encoding.Unicode)

        xDoc.WriteTo(wrtr)
        wrtr.Close()
        MessageBox.Show("Added new eventenrollment element")

0
dotnetnoob (31)

dotnetnoob wrote:
> i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from
> another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net
> program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other
> program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my
> application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?>
> when i didn't tell it to.

>         Dim wrtr As XmlTextWriter = New XmlTextWriter("C:\" + str2 + ".xml",
> Encoding.Unicode)

You are saving your XML as Unicode aka UTF-16, which takes 2 bytes per
character. Use UTF-8, which takes 1 byte per ASCII character and 2  (or
more) bytes for others.

--
Oleg Tkachenko [XML MVP, MCPD]
http://blog.tkachenko.com | http://www.XmlLab.Net | http://www.XLinq.Net

"Oleg Tkachenko [MVP]" wrote:

> dotnetnoob wrote:
> > i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from
> > another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net
> > program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other
> > program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my
> > application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > when i didn't tell it to.
>
> >         Dim wrtr As XmlTextWriter = New XmlTextWriter("C:\" + str2 + ".xml",
> > Encoding.Unicode)
>
> You are saving your XML as Unicode aka UTF-16, which takes 2 bytes per
> character. Use UTF-8, which takes 1 byte per ASCII character and 2  (or
> more) bytes for others.
>
> --
> Oleg Tkachenko [XML MVP, MCPD]
> http://blog.tkachenko.com | http://www.XmlLab.Net | http://www.XLinq.Net

0
dotnetnoob (31)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

mutimedia messages coming to inbox without attached files
Sending a picture from my phone to email. I use Outlook 2002 to read and send emails. Message arrive but not the attached picture. My phone company email site recieves the picture without any problem. Is there a setting in OUtlook that is stopping the picture? ...

Combining MS Money files
Is there a way to combine/merge MS Money files (not accounts, but files) into one file that will display all acounts? -- FDR You will have to mentally designate one file as the master file and the export accounts from the other file to qif file format. Then import the files all together (use ctrl + click to select when asked which file to import) into the master file. Take backups of both files before you start! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I ha...

Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel
Hi, I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV" format, and then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works perfectly ok for ascii data. However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is displayed (which works ok). Currenly the file is 16 ...

I used "save as" but now can't locate original file
I was using a file (November), changed the data, clicked "save as" (December. Now, November is the same as December. Any possibility there's a temp file of November anywhere? Book I believe you have not done as you describe. If you had a previously saved November workbook open and made some changes then File>Save As and named it December, November workbook will still be on your computer in its previous state. Unless you saved it as November with the changes. From where did you open November workbook? It will still be there. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 1...

Default properties for new folders

New Email Messages

Need to Transfer Files Between Money and Quicken
I've got an interesting problem here. I need to transfer files between Money 2002 and Quicken Premium 2004. The first four attempts at having Quicken read exported QIF files has been a disaster. Quicken is absolutely no help. Their built-in help is referring me to webpages that don't exist. There is supposed to be a tool to convert the file format, but the fine print says it is for converting between previous versions of Quicken and Quicken 2004, but it "may work" for converting Money files. A Quicken guru says I need to export Money files to XML in order to bring the files i...

restoring system data from external HD .bkf files
Hello My OS is Windows XP Media edition 2005. I recently reformatted my HD and now I am trying to restore my Office Outlook files (.pst) plus system settings. I have been only able to access personal files and folders. I really need the ..pst files. When I run the backup - restore wizard the check marks appear on the two "C" drives, out of 14,471 MB on the external HD, only about 350 MB are restored, the field "processed" reads "0" How can I restore the rest of my system from the external HD? Thanks -- Zubenelshamali On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:53:4...

Transfering Access 2000 file to Access 97
How do I save a Access 2000 file so it can be opened using Office 97 Access. Is it possible Hi Stewart, You will need to convert it to Access 97 as follows: - Select the menu option Tools > Database Utilities > Convert Database > To Access 97 file format I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please respond back to this posting. Regards, Eric Butts Microsoft Access Support "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises you to review the informatio...

Looking for Microsoft Office Binary File Format or File Signature data
I have an application which obtains numerous "unidentifiable" files with no file extension, via FTP, and would like to run some sort of binary filter on it to identify PPT, DOC, XLS file formats. I did fine this: http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html But it seems a messy way of accomplishing this, and is incomplete. Any clues as to finding the binary record format and/or file signatures of Office documents (Office 2000 and greater). - Thanks ...

New Location/New setup

How do I activate the new mail button

Cannot Open 2002 Files in 2004
USA Money 2002. Moved 2002 files to flash drive and tried to open them using Money 2004 and I get this message "Type your password to access your files." The friedn I am helping does not ever remember using a password. I guess the only option is to use the Money 2002 program on the old hardrvie and see if that will allow us to access the file. Thanks Smith The most typical case is where you are trying to switch regions. Your second option requires that Money 2002 be installed. This sounds like you are trying to upgrade a computer. BTW you can have multiple versions of Mo...

Can I Display Winodws File Folder Contents in Outlook?
OL2007/Exchange: I have found how to set a particular outlook folder to display a website by seleting the home page tab under properties. Is there a way to have this display the contents of a windows file folder instead of an html file? I have tried something like c:\my documents, and even file:\\c:\my documents, but this does not seem to work. I've thought of perhaps making an html file with links to the contents of the folder and displaying that html file. Looks pretty easy, but if we add new files, etc., then the html file does not get automatically updated. I know this is a stran...

Style available all sheets new or old

view a pub file
Hi I d like to know how I could see a publisher file if I have not publisher ?? thank you You can't. You will have to ask the sender to convert it to a .pdf file for you. If they can't and this is a one time thing, you are welcome to forward the file onto me and I'll do it for you. Send it to jl dot paules at gmail dot com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Photo" <Photo@hotmail.fr> wrote in message news:44b04061$0$881$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr... > Hi > I d like to know how I could see a publisher file if I have not publisher > ?? &g...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

How to generate a mailbox list file to use in scheduled ExMerge
Hi! Anyone know how I can generate a file that contains a list of mailboxes to be used with scheduled ExMerge? I tried to interactively run ExMerge, then cancell the program halfway, but it does not create the file I need. An alternative for creating the file would be to use an LDAP query in a script -- if anyone can help with that as well. Thanks MosesM On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:05:04 -0800, MosesM <MosesM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! Anyone know how I can generate a file that contains a list of mailboxes >to be used with scheduled ExMerge? I tried to interactively ru...

Converting vcproj files from VS2005 to VS2008 with Powershell
I wanted to share this to give back to the general Powershell knowledge base and didn't know where to do this so am posting this here. Not long ago I had to migrate a number of legacy C++ VS2005 projects into VS2008 format. The projects had been originally migrated from VC6 Dev Studio format so that there was some path fixups required to allow the projects to build with Team Build. I created the following powershell script which I named fixVS8toVS9vcproj.ps1 which does 90% of the grunt work. Usage (from a Powershell console prompt): .\fixVS8toVS9vcproj.ps1 {path}\...

Adding new pages