<CurrentFolder Path="c:\tabs">
<Tabs>
<FilePath>tabs\Justin.tab</FilePath>
<FilePath>tabs\Julie.tab</FilePath>
*****There could be 1 of these or 100....quantity can change*****
</Tabs>
</CurrentFolder>
</AppMode>

All I need to do is load "Network" and "c:\tabs" into variables.  Then each
FilePath goes into an array.

The following code gives me everything but Julie.tab.  It only gives me one
of the FilePaths.  I'm not even sure if this is the right/best way to do
this:

Dim XMLReader As XmlTextReader = New XmlTextReader("")
XMLReader.WhitespaceHandling = WhitespaceHandling.None

XMLReader.Read()
XMLReader.Read()
MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Type"))

XMLReader.Read()
MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Path"))

XMLReader.Read()

While Not XMLReader.EOF    *****Why isn't this looping?

    XMLReader.Read()

    If Not XMLReader.IsStartElement() Then
        Exit While
    End If

    MsgBox(XMLReader.ReadElementString("FilePath"))

End While

XMLReader.Close()

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
none89 (807)

Justin wrote:
> Here's my XML:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> <AppMode Type="Network">
> <CurrentFolder Path="c:\tabs">
> <Tabs>
> <FilePath>tabs\Justin.tab</FilePath>
> <FilePath>tabs\Julie.tab</FilePath>
> *****There could be 1 of these or 100....quantity can change*****
> </Tabs>
> </CurrentFolder>
> </AppMode>
>

> All I need to do is load "Network" and "c:\tabs" into variables.  Then
> each FilePath goes into an array.

One way is to use XPath to find the nodes:

         Dim doc As New XPathDocument("..\..\XMLFile1.xml")
         Dim nav As XPathNavigator =
doc.CreateNavigator().SelectSingleNode("AppMode")
         Dim type As String = nav.GetAttribute("Type", "")
         Console.WriteLine("Type: {0}", type)
         nav = nav.SelectSingleNode("CurrentFolder")
         Dim path As String = nav.GetAttribute("Path", "")
         Console.WriteLine("Path: {0}", path)
         Dim filePaths As XPathNodeIterator = nav.Select("Tabs/FilePath")
         Console.WriteLine("Found {0} file path(s):", filePaths.Count)
         Dim paths(filePaths.Count) As String
         Dim i As Integer = 0
         For Each filePath As XPathNavigator In filePaths
             paths(i) = filePath.Value
             Console.WriteLine(paths(i))
             i = i + 1
         Next

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

From your description, you want to extract some certain values from an XML
document. In .net framework, there is quite rich API support for XML query
and processing. Here you have three different possible means to do it:

1. Use the xmlreader as you've tried, this is a memory efficient approahc,
but maybe more difficult to code(when xml is complex)

2. use XmlDocument + Xpath query, this is quite simple code

3. If you can use .NET 3.5, then "Linq to XML" is quite a good weapon you
can utilize

Here I've produced sample code (extracting the elements you want) for all
of the 3 approaches mentioned above:

===========using XML Reader================
        private void btnReader_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(@"..\..\test.xml",
Encoding.UTF8);
            XmlReader xr = XmlReader.Create(sr);

            List<string> paths = new List<string>();

            while (xr.Read())
            {
                if (xr.IsStartElement("AppMode"))
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(xr.GetAttribute("Type"));
                }else if(xr.IsStartElement("CurrentFolder"))
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(xr.GetAttribute("Path"));
                }
                else if (xr.IsStartElement("FilePath"))
                {
                    paths.Add(xr.GetAttribute("Path"));
                }
            }

            MessageBox.Show("paths count: " + paths.Count);
            sr.Close();
        }
=====================

========USE XML document + xpath query==============
 private void btnXmlDoc_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
            doc.Load(@"..\..\test.xml");

            string type =
doc.SelectSingleNode("/AppMode").Attributes["Type"].Value;
            string curfolder =
doc.SelectSingleNode("/AppMode/CurrentFolder").Attributes["Path"].Value;

            XmlNodeList files = doc.SelectNodes("//FilePath");

            List<string> paths = new List<string>();

            foreach (XmlNode pnode in files)
            {
                paths.Add(pnode.InnerText);
            }

            MessageBox.Show("type: " + type + "\r\n"
                + "current folder: " + curfolder + "\r\n"
                + "paths count: " + paths.Count);

        }
==============================

============ use LINQ TO XML ===================
private void btnLinq_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(@"..\..\test.xml",
Encoding.UTF8);
            XDocument xdoc = XDocument.Load(sr);
            sr.Close();

            string type = xdoc.Element("AppMode").Attribute("Type").Value;
            var cfs = from cf in xdoc.Descendants("CurrentFolder")
                               select cf.Attribute("Path").Value;

            string curfolder = cfs.First();

            var paths = from fp in xdoc.Descendants("FilePath")
                        select fp.Value;

            List<string> fpaths = paths.ToList();

            MessageBox.Show("type: " + type + "\r\n"
               + "current folder: " + curfolder + "\r\n"
               + "paths count: " + fpaths.Count);

        }
=============================

if you want to know more about LINQ to XML, please have a look at the MSDN
reference:

#.NET Language-Integrated Query for XML Data

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Justin" <None@None.com>
>Subject: New to XML.  Need help reading XML.
>Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:24:30 -0700

>Here's my XML:
>
><?xml version="1.0" ?>
><AppMode Type="Network">
><CurrentFolder Path="c:\tabs">
><Tabs>
><FilePath>tabs\Justin.tab</FilePath>
><FilePath>tabs\Julie.tab</FilePath>
>*****There could be 1 of these or 100....quantity can change*****
></Tabs>
></CurrentFolder>
></AppMode>
>

>All I need to do is load "Network" and "c:\tabs" into variables.  Then
each
>FilePath goes into an array.
>
>The following code gives me everything but Julie.tab.  It only gives me
one
>of the FilePaths.  I'm not even sure if this is the right/best way to do
>this:
>
>Dim XMLReader As XmlTextReader = New XmlTextReader("")
>XMLReader.WhitespaceHandling = WhitespaceHandling.None
>
>XMLReader.Read()
>XMLReader.Read()
>MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Type"))
>
>XMLReader.Read()
>MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Path"))
>
>XMLReader.Read()
>
>While Not XMLReader.EOF    *****Why isn't this looping?
>
>    XMLReader.Read()
>
>    If Not XMLReader.IsStartElement() Then
>        Exit While
>    End If
>
>    MsgBox(XMLReader.ReadElementString("FilePath"))
>
>End While
>
>XMLReader.Close()
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0
stcheng1 (64)
7/28/2008 3:37:29 AM
Thanks for the info Steven.  I had already implemented Martins approach.
However I have more XML reading coming up so this is sure to come into play.

Thanks for your time!

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <stcheng@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> each
>>FilePath goes into an array.
>>
>>The following code gives me everything but Julie.tab.  It only gives me
> one
>>of the FilePaths.  I'm not even sure if this is the right/best way to do
>>this:
>>
>>Dim XMLReader As XmlTextReader = New XmlTextReader("")
>>XMLReader.WhitespaceHandling = WhitespaceHandling.None
>>
>>XMLReader.Read()
>>XMLReader.Read()
>>MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Type"))
>>
>>XMLReader.Read()
>>MsgBox(XMLReader.GetAttribute("Path"))
>>
>>XMLReader.Read()
>>
>>While Not XMLReader.EOF    *****Why isn't this looping?
>>
>>    XMLReader.Read()
>>
>>    If Not XMLReader.IsStartElement() Then
>>        Exit While
>>    End If
>>
>>    MsgBox(XMLReader.ReadElementString("FilePath"))

7/29/2008 4:50:27 AM
Perfect!  Thanks for the info.  After reading about 20 pages including MS I
couldn't figure out how to loop at the end.

This worked like a charm!

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Justin wrote:
>> Here's my XML:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>> <AppMode Type="Network">
>> <CurrentFolder Path="c:\tabs">
>> <Tabs>
>> <FilePath>tabs\Justin.tab</FilePath>
>> <FilePath>tabs\Julie.tab</FilePath>
>> *****There could be 1 of these or 100....quantity can change*****
>> </Tabs>
>> </CurrentFolder>
>> </AppMode>
>>

>> All I need to do is load "Network" and "c:\tabs" into variables.  Then
>> each FilePath goes into an array.
>
> One way is to use XPath to find the nodes:
>
>         Dim doc As New XPathDocument("..\..\XMLFile1.xml")
>         Dim nav As XPathNavigator =
> doc.CreateNavigator().SelectSingleNode("AppMode")
>         Dim type As String = nav.GetAttribute("Type", "")
>         Console.WriteLine("Type: {0}", type)
>         nav = nav.SelectSingleNode("CurrentFolder")
>         Dim path As String = nav.GetAttribute("Path", "")
>         Console.WriteLine("Path: {0}", path)
>         Dim filePaths As XPathNodeIterator = nav.Select("Tabs/FilePath")
>         Console.WriteLine("Found {0} file path(s):", filePaths.Count)
>         Dim paths(filePaths.Count) As String
>         Dim i As Integer = 0
>         For Each filePath As XPathNavigator In filePaths
>             paths(i) = filePath.Value
>             Console.WriteLine(paths(i))
>             i = i + 1
>         Next
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
none89 (807)
7/29/2008 4:50:49 AM
Thanks for your reply Justin,

No problem. If you need any help on this later, please feel free to post
here.

> [...]

>>            sr.Close();
>>        }
>> =====================
>>
>> ========USE XML document + xpath query==============
>> private void btnXmlDoc_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
>>        {
>>            XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
>>            doc.Load(@"..\..\test.xml");
>>
>>            string type =
>> doc.SelectSingleNode("/AppMode").Attributes["Type"].Value;
>>            string curfolder =
>> doc.SelectSingleNode("/AppMode/CurrentFolder").Attributes["Path"].Value;
>>
>>            XmlNodeList files = doc.SelectNodes("//FilePath");
>>
>>            List<string> paths = new List<string>();
>>
>>            foreach (XmlNode pnode in files)
>>            {
>>                paths.Add(pnode.InnerText);
>>            }
>>
>>            MessageBox.Show("type: " + type + "\r\n"
>>                + "current folder: " + curfolder + "\r\n"

0
stcheng1 (64)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

Need to Transfer Files Between Money and Quicken
I've got an interesting problem here. I need to transfer files between Money 2002 and Quicken Premium 2004. The first four attempts at having Quicken read exported QIF files has been a disaster. Quicken is absolutely no help. Their built-in help is referring me to webpages that don't exist. There is supposed to be a tool to convert the file format, but the fine print says it is for converting between previous versions of Quicken and Quicken 2004, but it "may work" for converting Money files. A Quicken guru says I need to export Money files to XML in order to bring the files i...

New Email Messages

Please Help!!! credit/debit card processing
I know there is way to set up the credit/debit card processing without actually using ICVERIFY or PCCHARGE. I am guessing you would have to emulate something but, I am not really sure on how it is done. Any kind of input will be greatly appreciated. RMS does come with an integrated Credit Card processing solution. Before you can set up Store Operations to process credit and debit card transactions through Citibank, you must have an Internet connection. Your connection must support SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and HTTPS: (Port 443). Processing through Citibank does not support direct...

New Location/New setup

How do I activate the new mail button

Attempting to creating a prioritized "to do" list
I'm trying to figure out how to post a bulleted list of "to do" items into excel that I can then prioritize and sort. An example follows - Project "A" work - Call Jerry K. to confirm transition to new phone system - Migrate Customer List into SAP - etc. - Project "B" work - Communicate leads information to field sellers - Schedule review date w/vendor -etc. I'd like to be able to copy the example above from word and paste into Excel as only two cells (Project A and Project B). I need to maintain the hierarchical structure of t...

Style available all sheets new or old

Need help with forms!!!
I am creating a database to track invoices recieved and apply them to specific assets. My question is on my invoice input page I have a check box to split the invoice between two or more assests. How can I bring up a pop up window asking which assests to apply the split invoice to ? Also create the according records for each assest that the invoice was split for. Could someone give me some idea as how to do this? My Access skills are a little rusty. I'm using Access 2007. Thank you, Mark ...

Slow to Read Mail
Please help!!! When I open outlook and scroll from one message to another, or click on a message, it takes about a second and a half or longer to display the message. This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then return to the first (when the first one should still be in the system's cache). How do I get this program to run faster? Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to a network too. Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512 meg SDRAM. Thanks, Mark Is this Outlook 2002, by any chance? If so, try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in To...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Adding new pages

Outlook Express 6 loosing e-mail after reading & 2 copies
I read my email and then I switch to another folder SENT/Trash etc... I go back to my INBOX and my email is gone. Does anyone know why? I also have another problem. When I check for new email I get 2 copies of every one. Any body know why? Thanks in advance, Bill This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5....

filter help needed
I have a filter set up in Outlook 2007 to send messages from a distribution group to a separate folder and another to mark any of those messages containing a specific keyword with an exclamation mark. Is there a way to tweak the filter to make it highlight the keyword so it can easily be found when viewing the marked message? ...

New User has admin rights

need help with Special font
i use autocad to create a list of materials, I use a special font to show stacked fractions when inputing feet and inches. I have manage to export a comma dilimited? file that creates a list on excel. My problem is that the Font special characters show up insted of fractions. I want to do other formulas with the information, but With out the proper numbers its tough. The special font is .shx type and excel does not read it. I am havin a hrd time working through this, any comments or advice will help. I cna input common fractions but they may lead into more mistakes. Wuillian Medrano W...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

Xml Node exists