Mapping a CSV file to an Xml Schema

Hi all,
I am getting a CSV file like this from our client:

"C1","2","12344","Mr","John","Chan","05/07/1976".........

I need to validate **each filed value** against a set of rules ,for instance
for  "05/07/1976" ,I need to make sure that it's in the right format ,It's
not later than today and lots of other rules ,Is there somebody who can help
me how to that?Can I map it to some sort of xml schema or something?

Thanks for your help.

Ali-R

0
AliR5980 (3)

"Ali-R" <AliR@microsft.com> wrote in message news:%230d9BDQGFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "C1","2","12344","Mr","John","Chan","05/07/1976".........
: :
> Can I map it to some sort of xml schema or something?

Do you already have an XML Schema?

If you don't already have an XML Schema then I can't understand why
make an XML Schema, put up with XML Schema's myriad of limitations,
then go create a mapping from your comma-separated value file into an
XML instance document to be validated against the XML Schema, which
is going to be much slower than many other means of validating the
document's values.

: :
> I need to validate **each filed value** against a set of rules

Non-XML Way

I would start out with the String.Split( new char[] { ',' } ) acknowledging
of course it may be necessary to deal with commas inside of quoted
strings ( splitting on the delimiters new char[] { ',', '"' } usually works
for detecting those situations -- commas between even-numbered
double quotes are delimiters while commas between odd-numbered
double quotes are actual data ).

Then I'd create an two-dimensional array of delegate methods, each
(at an x-index) responsible for performing one validation on the field
(at it's y-index).  Then adding a new validation in the future is as simple
as writing a new method and adding it's delegate to the columns in the
array corresponding to the field numbers that require that validation.

XML Way

If you still want to go ahead and map the CSV file to an XML document,
then you'd still start with String.Split, and you could build-up the Xml-
Document piece-by-piece.  Better would be to write an XmlTextReader
that interprets the CSV, driven by an XmlSchema (using the Schema
Object Model to drive it) to give each field a meaningful element (or
attribute) name.

This converts the CSV file into XML, but you'll still need to implement
the validations within XML Schema document's language (to the extent
it can express the types of validations you may need).

With an .XSD prepared you can load it into an XmlValidatingReader
and run it over the XmlTextReader [that you've written to make the CSV
file look like an XML file] or an XmlNodeReader [wrapped around
the XmlDocument built node-by-node.]

In conclusion, shoehorning a problem that didn't involve a schema to
begin with into an XML Schema solution is frequently not the best way
to go about matters.

Derek Harmon

0
loresayer (274)
2/23/2005 5:31:03 AM
Derek has a lot of good things to think about, but just to give a more
concrete answer.

In Visual Studio, create a new XML File
Convert a line of your data into an XML element with attributes

<root>
    <row id="C1" someNum="2" zip="12344" honorific="Mr" First="John"
Last="Chan" Birth="05/07/1976" />
</root>

On the Menu select Xml->Create Schema.

This gives you a least a starting point

<xs:element name="row">
  <xs:complexType>
    <xs:attribute name="id" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="someNum" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="zip" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="honorific" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="First" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="Last" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    <xs:attribute name="Birth" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
  </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

From there you can start restricting the simple types as needed
(Below I restrict zip to be 5 digits)

<xs:element name="row">
    <xs:complexType>
 <xs:attribute name="id" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:attribute name="someNum" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:attribute name="zip" form="unqualified">
     <xs:simpleType>
          <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
              <xs:pattern value="\d\d\d\d\d" />
          </xs:restriction>
     </xs:simpleType>
 </xs:attribute>
 <xs:attribute name="honorific" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:attribute name="First" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:attribute name="Last" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:attribute name="Birth" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
    </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

Hi Derek,

The problem with this:
> I would start out with the String.Split( new char[] { ',' } )
> acknowledging

Is that Field values are surrounded by double quote,dose String.Split works
on those value field too?

Thanks for you complete response.

"Derek Harmon" <loresayer@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Ali-R" <AliR@microsft.com> wrote in message
>> "C1","2","12344","Mr","John","Chan","05/07/1976".........
> : :
>> Can I map it to some sort of xml schema or something?
>
> Do you already have an XML Schema?
>
> If you don't already have an XML Schema then I can't understand why
> make an XML Schema, put up with XML Schema's myriad of limitations,
> then go create a mapping from your comma-separated value file into an
> XML instance document to be validated against the XML Schema, which
> is going to be much slower than many other means of validating the
> document's values.
>
> : :
>> I need to validate **each filed value** against a set of rules
>
> Non-XML Way
>
> I would start out with the String.Split( new char[] { ',' } )
> acknowledging
> of course it may be necessary to deal with commas inside of quoted
> strings ( splitting on the delimiters new char[] { ',', '"' } usually
> works
> for detecting those situations -- commas between even-numbered
> double quotes are delimiters while commas between odd-numbered
> double quotes are actual data ).
>
> Then I'd create an two-dimensional array of delegate methods, each
> (at an x-index) responsible for performing one validation on the field
> (at it's y-index).  Then adding a new validation in the future is as
> simple
> as writing a new method and adding it's delegate to the columns in the
> array corresponding to the field numbers that require that validation.
>
> XML Way
>
> If you still want to go ahead and map the CSV file to an XML document,
> then you'd still start with String.Split, and you could build-up the Xml-
> Document piece-by-piece.  Better would be to write an XmlTextReader
> that interprets the CSV, driven by an XmlSchema (using the Schema
> Object Model to drive it) to give each field a meaningful element (or
> attribute) name.
>
> This converts the CSV file into XML, but you'll still need to implement
> the validations within XML Schema document's language (to the extent
> it can express the types of validations you may need).
>
> With an .XSD prepared you can load it into an XmlValidatingReader
> and run it over the XmlTextReader [that you've written to make the CSV
> file look like an XML file] or an XmlNodeReader [wrapped around
> the XmlDocument built node-by-node.]
>

> In conclusion, shoehorning a problem that didn't involve a schema to
> begin with into an XML Schema solution is frequently not the best way
> to go about matters.
>

> Derek Harmon

0
AliR5980 (3)
2/23/2005 4:34:41 PM
These records are going to be inserted into a table which I have the schema
for .Considering this ,are you still thinking that Custom validation is
faster than loading the CSV file into a dataset and validate it against an
existing schema.

Anothr goodness of schema is that if the business rules for validation is
changed ,there is no need of re-compiling the programme ,you can simply get
an updated schema of the table and replace the existing one,right?

Thanks
"Derek Harmon" <loresayer@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Ali-R" <AliR@microsft.com> wrote in message
>> "C1","2","12344","Mr","John","Chan","05/07/1976".........
> : :
>> Can I map it to some sort of xml schema or something?
>
> Do you already have an XML Schema?
>
> If you don't already have an XML Schema then I can't understand why
> make an XML Schema, put up with XML Schema's myriad of limitations,
> then go create a mapping from your comma-separated value file into an
> XML instance document to be validated against the XML Schema, which
> is going to be much slower than many other means of validating the
> document's values.
>
> : :
>> I need to validate **each filed value** against a set of rules
>
> Non-XML Way
>
> I would start out with the String.Split( new char[] { ',' } )
> acknowledging
> of course it may be necessary to deal with commas inside of quoted
> strings ( splitting on the delimiters new char[] { ',', '"' } usually
> works
> for detecting those situations -- commas between even-numbered
> double quotes are delimiters while commas between odd-numbered
> double quotes are actual data ).
>
> Then I'd create an two-dimensional array of delegate methods, each
> (at an x-index) responsible for performing one validation on the field
> (at it's y-index).  Then adding a new validation in the future is as
> simple
> as writing a new method and adding it's delegate to the columns in the
> array corresponding to the field numbers that require that validation.
>
> XML Way
>
> If you still want to go ahead and map the CSV file to an XML document,
> then you'd still start with String.Split, and you could build-up the Xml-
> Document piece-by-piece.  Better would be to write an XmlTextReader
> that interprets the CSV, driven by an XmlSchema (using the Schema
> Object Model to drive it) to give each field a meaningful element (or
> attribute) name.
>
> This converts the CSV file into XML, but you'll still need to implement
> the validations within XML Schema document's language (to the extent
> it can express the types of validations you may need).
>
> With an .XSD prepared you can load it into an XmlValidatingReader
> and run it over the XmlTextReader [that you've written to make the CSV
> file look like an XML file] or an XmlNodeReader [wrapped around
> the XmlDocument built node-by-node.]
>

> In conclusion, shoehorning a problem that didn't involve a schema to
> begin with into an XML Schema solution is frequently not the best way
> to go about matters.
>

> Derek Harmon

0
AliR5980 (3)
2/23/2005 6:49:33 PM
>Anothr goodness of schema is that if the business rules for validation is
>changed ,there is no need of re-compiling the programme ,you can simply get
>an updated schema of the table and replace the existing one,right?
If you have a promotion active in California and New York. You
could limit customers to only those living in those two states with
the following type declaration
<xsd:simpleType name="stateType">
   <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
      <xsd:enumeration value="CA"/>
      <xsd:enumeration value="NY"/>
   </xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

Now, you need to add some more states? The edit your schema file.
<xsd:simpleType name="stateType">
   <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
      <xsd:enumeration value="WA"/>
      <xsd:enumeration value="OR"/>
      <xsd:enumeration value="CA"/>
      <xsd:enumeration value="NY"/>
      <xsd:enumeration value="FL"/>
   </xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

In a very interesting article Dare shows how you can "Validating Primitive
Values Against XSD Simple Type Definitions" in code. Before reading this, I
thought one had to create a Xml file in order to validate it. The article
shows how you can ask the framework if a given value conforms to a given
type (e.g. is "NJ" a valid stateType?)  If it isn't it raises an error, so
this would be slow, but it might fit your needs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml06162004.asp

Can you mention some limitations that schema imposes in this solution?

Thanks
"Mark Bosley" <mark.nspam@lightcc.com> wrote in message
> Derek has a lot of good things to think about, but just to give a more
> concrete answer.
>
> In Visual Studio, create a new XML File
> Convert a line of your data into an XML element with attributes
>
> <root>
>    <row id="C1" someNum="2" zip="12344" honorific="Mr" First="John"
> Last="Chan" Birth="05/07/1976" />
> </root>
>
> On the Menu select Xml->Create Schema.
>
> This gives you a least a starting point
>
> <xs:element name="row">
>  <xs:complexType>
>    <xs:attribute name="id" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="someNum" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="zip" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="honorific" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="First" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="Last" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    <xs:attribute name="Birth" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>  </xs:complexType>
> </xs:element>
>
> From there you can start restricting the simple types as needed
> (Below I restrict zip to be 5 digits)
>
> <xs:element name="row">
>    <xs:complexType>
> <xs:attribute name="id" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="someNum" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="zip" form="unqualified">
>     <xs:simpleType>
>          <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
>              <xs:pattern value="\d\d\d\d\d" />
>          </xs:restriction>
>     </xs:simpleType>
> </xs:attribute>
> <xs:attribute name="honorific" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="First" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="Last" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="Birth" form="unqualified" type="xs:string" />
>    </xs:complexType>
> </xs:element>

0
Ray5574 (1)

How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file?
How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to combine all data into one file under word. Hi the easiest way would be copy and paste? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel to Word transfer" <Excel to Word transfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:78E2302D-3EC5-4B69-8DEF-524411297288@microsoft.com... > How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to > combine all data into one file under word. ...

.msg file
Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Never mind. I didn't think about just dragging them. Too simple. Jerry <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: > Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea > how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Try dragging the .msg file to your contacts folder. -- Brian Tillman ...

Sending file as an attachment
Excel has a function to send the file as and attachment and it will automatically bring up a new email message with the file attached. I have one computer on the network here that seems to have everything set up just fine, but when trying that function in excel, instead of bringing up a new email message, it goes to the internet connection wizare and wants to set up an email account?????? Hi Lbeck Close Excel Excel use the mail program that is in Internet options(Programs tab) on the control panel Try again -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl ...

Recreate a new PST file
Hi folks, A friend of mine seems to have a corrupted Outlook setup. His 500Mb or so PST file appears twice on the left-hand pane, and when he tries to view properties on either of them he gets an error. I've verified for sure that only one PST file physically exists on the PC. This also causes problems with his address book, and he gets an error when he tries to access it. Although he can cancel this and then it works. I've tried moving the PST file, but when Outlook starts it cannot find it (of course) and exits. It doesn't give the option to create a new PST file. I was ...

How to import 3 CSV fields into Outlook Contacts ?
I have a simple CSV file with 3 fields... Fname-1,Lname-1,Email-1 Fname-2,Lname-2,Email-2 Fname-3,Lname-3,Email-3 Fname-4,Lname-4,Email-4 etc - The file has about 100 records - Outlook won't let me import it. I exported a few records from a test folder in Outlook Contacts and see that it exports all Field Names first... and then eports each line of data... and there is a bunch of data per line. - Must I replicate all of that in my CSV file before I try and import it into Outlook? - Is there no way to import my simple CSV file and "Map" each of the fields to the correct O...

MRMS 2.0
Hi Mates, I am using MRMS 2.0 and my log files size is multiplying very fast. Tried doing the database shrinking and making the recovery mode to simple. Still the log files size is mulitplying. Is there any fix for this from microsoft. Thanks in Advance RK 1) With both the original .MDF and .LDF files located where they supposed to be, run RMS Admin and select the database you want to shrink. 2) Issue this query to find the log device name: SELECT FILE_NAME(2). This will return the name of your log device (in our case, we called the database SS1 and the log device name is Store1...

Hundreds of log files!!!
Hello I've finnally managed to set up my first exchange 2003 server. But now I have a problem: something is generating log text files by the dozen! It appears to be one per message, althought I haven't been able to confirm this. In one night I got 1.5 GB of logs... How do I stop this? Any help appreciated They sound like your transaction log files. The correct way to purge them is to perform a full online backup of Exchange using an Exchange-aware backup program; the backup will then purge the committed log files. Certainly, it is not recommended to manually remove them. -...

Item Integration should allow mapping to Extended Pricing Price S
When Extended Pricing is enabled and you use Integration Manager to bring in prices, you map a Constant Price Level EXTPRCLVL to get the integration to go through. The only problem is that this doesn't affect the Price Sheets, so doesn't calculate a price in Sales Order Processing. It would be nice if a collection could be added for Price Sheets. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the but...

Open Excel files/folders
I am using Micrsoft Excel 2000 When I click on the Open icon, the Open box pops up. It automatically highlights the first excel file in the directory I am in. All of the folders listed before the Excel file are to the left. I have to use the scroll bar to scroll left and find the file folder I need at that time. In almost all instances, I need a folder instead of a file. Is there a way to get Excel to default to highlighting the first folder upon Open instead of the first Excel file? The first thing I do is click on that icon to the far left to show details in that dialog. Then I can ...

Mapping..
ok. I have a table with about... ohh 250 fields. Lets say that one field is directly dependant on another. In this case, a region number is given to a person based on their postal code. In SQL I could just create a second table and link them using postal code as the key. How can I accompish this in CRM? I'm assuming its by using the mapping feature but in the documentation I have it tells me to go in through the SQL enterprise manager. I have been told that I am not allowed to directly access the SQL database without voidding my warranty. How can I make it so that the region number...

Merging many excel files together
I have 197 excel files that are the same (data is different rows and columns are the same). I want them all together in one spreadsheet. what is the easiest way to do this? Thanks in advance, mike Hi, Here is an old post from BrianB which may get you very close. jeff -------------------------- Subject: Re: Indirect not the correct solution??? From: "BrianB >" <<BrianB.15dmdj@excelforum-nospam.com> Sent: 4/27/2004 7:52:33 AM Here is some code that you will need to copy/paste to a code module and adapt. You may get away with just changing the *Sub Trans...

OWA File Attachments Exchange 2003
My Exchange Information Store" dismont when I attach an archive in owa. I have unistalled all antivirus and antispyware software and the problem persists. No problems in Exchange Stores nor free space. No problems when using Outlook/Outlook Express clients. Only with owa. Any ideas? "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Exchange Information Store" dismont when I attach an archive in >owa. >I have unistalled all antivirus and antispyware software and the problem >persists. >No problems in Exchange Stores nor free space. >No ...

how do i map an excel column to an XML element
How do i map an entire column of data in an excel spreadsheet to an XML data element in the XML source Task Pane? I want to export the data in my spreadsheet so that every row in my spreadsheet is an XML record and every cell in the row is a sub element ...

No NK2 file?
Outlook 2003 won't create an NK2 file with the frequently used e-mail addresses. No suggestions are made as I type in the address. I have Automatic Name Checking and Suggest Names checked. I tried populating the NK2 file this way: I disconnected my computer from the internet. I opened a new message. In the To: field I entered ALL of the e-mail addresses I frequently use. I click send. I delete the message from the Outbox and reconnect myself to the internet. Now when I open a new message and begin entering and e-mail address suggestions come up as I type. BUT as soon as I cl...

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

File is Not in Recognizable Format
Hi, I wrote a spreadsheet in 2007 and sent it to someone who uses 2000. They could not open it. One error message said it was marked read only and the other said: "File is not in a Recognizable Format" I've sent the same spreadsheet to someone using 2007 with no problems. How can I correct this? Thanks Save it in the xl97-xl2003 (*.xls) format. JimS wrote: > > Hi, I wrote a spreadsheet in 2007 and sent it to someone who uses > 2000. They could not open it. One error message said it was marked > read only and the other said: > > "File is not in a...

Map command
Have got Windows XP professional. Excel used to have the facility to create a map from a worksheet but this does not appear to be in the Insert Menu anymore. Can anyone tell me how to create a map in XP? Windows XP Professional is an Operating System. Do you mean Office XP Professional? If so, you are out of luck with the Insert>Map feature unless you purchase MS MapPoint software. Excel XP has done away with the Mapping component. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:41:08 -0800, "suemkay" <suemkay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have got Windows X...

Search/Extract Data w/in Text File
Hello again! I am searching within a text file for the last row within the file. After I locate the row I need to separate the data and place into multiple cells on my worksheet. The code I have is as follows: Dim TextPath As String Dim DelimSrchChar As String Dim METtime As String Dim DataBuffer As Variant Dim NCData As Variant Dim DelimPos As Integer '=============================================== DelimSrchChar = "," TextPath = "C:\Temp\Formatted_NC_SN1008.txt" Open TextPath For Input As #1 'open text file for SN1008 Do While Not EOF(1) ...

Reading .pst files without Outlook 2007
Is there anyone who know a program / software that reads .pst files without actually rely on Outlook 2007? I used Recovery Toolbox for Outlook, and it did extract the emails that were in the pst file and it has its interface, that's good. However, is missing one crucial part, the date of when the email was sent. it does not not state the dates when those emails were sent and that is very important for me as I have thousands of emails that I track through the date(s). Does anyone knows a similar program that does what was mentioned above, but also displays the dates of when the ema...

Can Visio convert and or open an iGrafx process map?
I have a process map done in Corel iGrafx Flowcharter 2003 and want to know if I can convert the file such that I can edit and play with it in Visio Professional 2003. Thanks I have an IGX format file that needs to be converted to Visio as well. Seems some seminar presenters are giving out their sample files in this format, and I would REALLY prefer not to add yet another flow charting tool to our environment here. Has anyone developed a solution for this? Thanks! "Dellitot" wrote: > I have a process map done in Corel iGrafx Flowcharter 2003 and want to know > ...

Implement sorting in an XML file?
Hi all, I am confused about how to sort an XML file. I mean how to *actually* sort the data in the physical file, not how to display sorted data. I am using a large XML file as a back-end database, and am making many inserts and updates using the XmlDocument class. But I need to make the XML file human readable too, and want to physically sort the data in the file, every time an insert is made. At present I'm having to use a tool like Stylus Studio to manually sort the data. Is there a way to do it programmatically ? My XML file is something like : <BOOKDATA> <BOOK> <NA...

File readability
I am using Money 2005 Small Business edition. The person who is doing my taxes uses the 2004 edition. Will her version be able be to read my file? Short answer: No. Long answer: Money files are version specific and not backward compatible. Longer answer: you could do some huge export/import mumbo jumbo to get the data readable in a Money 04 file. "david_at_houston" <davidathouston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B983E9BD-E07B-4767-A385-26770FDD821F@microsoft.com... > I am using Money 2005 Small Business edition. The person who is doing my > taxes u...

Using Custom Mapped fields when importing in Outlook 2002
I am trying to import a *.csv file from Excel into contacts of Outlook 2002. I have created a custome made contact form and made it my default, but when trying to map the fields within the import wizard, my custom made contact form is not used to map to. Any ideas on how to make the mapped to reflect my user defined fields? Thanks! ...

Field-level Help Files
Has anyone implement this with their dexterity third-party applications? The Winhelp Functional Library mentions a field-level help capability but it seems that even GP does not implement this feature. I'm currently using version 8.0. Thanks. ...

Help files not appearing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4612C.51C00310 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have just moved over to Windows XP and the Excel help files don't = appear, when i request help. Any Idea's. JB ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4612C.51C00310 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Ty...