How do I convert a string to XML string

I need to convert a text string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe") to an XML encoded string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe").  I am not building an XML document, I am just trying to convert a single string.  I have looked at the System.Xml namespace, but I can't quite find what I need.  XmlTextWriter.WriteString() does the type of encoding I need, but it writes the string.  I just want it to return the encoded string.

Can someone tell me the class and method I need?

Thanks.

joe_rattz (2)

joe_rattz@genpt.com wrote:

> I need to convert a text string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe") to an XML encoded string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe").  I am not building an XML document, I am just trying to convert a single string.  I have looked at the System.Xml namespace, but I can't quite find what I need.  XmlTextWriter.WriteString() does the type of encoding I need, but it writes the string.  I just want it to return the encoded string.
>
> Can someone tell me the class and method I need?

Well, I'm not aware of any available method unfortunately. But in fact
all you need is to replace & and < chars. They are only chars forbidden
in XML in text, so double String.Replace or some regexp would suffice
your needs:

s.Replace("&", "&amp;").Replace("<", "&lt;")

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

0
Oleg
10/18/2003 4:45:36 PM
"Joe Rattz" <joe_rattz@genpt.com> wrote in message
: I need to convert a text string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe") to an XML
: encoded string ("Dewey &amp; Cheatham &amp; Howe").  I am not building an
: XML document, I am just trying to convert a single string.  I have looked
: at the System.Xml namespace, but I can't quite find what I need.
: XmlTextWriter.WriteString() does the type of encoding I need, but it
: writes the string.  I just want it to return the encoded string.

This will do the trick:

public class XmlEncoder
{
   private XmlDocument temp;

   public XmlEncoder()
   {
      temp = new XmlDocument();
      temp.LoadXml("<foo/>");
   }
   public string Encode(string input)
   {
      temp.DocumentElement.InnerText = input;
      return temp.DocumentElement.InnerXml;
   }
}

Bob Rossney
rbr@well.com

0
rbr1 (4)
10/18/2003 4:51:16 PM
"Oleg Tkachenko" <oleg@NO_!SPAM!_PLEASEtkachenko.com> wrote in message
: joe_rattz@genpt.com wrote:
:
: > I need to convert a text string ("Dewey & Cheatham & Howe") to an XML
encoded string ("Dewey &amp; Cheatham &amp; Howe").  I am not building an
XML document, I am just trying to convert a single string.  I have looked at
the System.Xml namespace, but I can't quite find what I need.
XmlTextWriter.WriteString() does the type of encoding I need, but it writes
the string.  I just want it to return the encoded string.
: >
: > Can someone tell me the class and method I need?
:
: Well, I'm not aware of any available method unfortunately. But in fact
: all you need is to replace & and < chars. They are only chars forbidden
: in XML in text, so double String.Replace or some regexp would suffice
: your needs:
:
: s.Replace("&", "&amp;").Replace("<", "&lt;")

The problem is a little more complicated than this, because it depends on
how the string is to be used.

For text content of an element, yes, just escaping ampersands and less-than
signs will do.  For attribute content, escaping single and double quotes may
be necessary.  For text in a CDATA section, a greater-than sign must be
escaped if it's preceded by two right brackets (otherwise the "]]>" will be
interpreted as the end of the CDATA section).  See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#syntax.

Why would anyone want to escape text for XML outside of the context of an
XML document, anyway?  This smells like someone solving the wrong problem to
me.

Bob Rossney
rbr@well.com

0
rbr1 (4)

how to convert date

Convert text to time value

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Creating and managing xml files
I just wanted a mass opinion on the subject. Here is what I will be doing: I need to create modules for a service that manages and stores data. Some of it is just text and some of it is binary that will be encoded with base64 and then compressed to save disk space since the chuncks could be quite large. For both methods (the ascii only as well as the base64 encoded versions, the xml files will be secured with some form of crypto service provided by .net 4. They will then be stored in the websites app_data folder for extra security. I would use sql server to store the data, but t...

XML Note convert to DataSet

How to allcate an array of strings dynamically
Hi I am doing a project which is using ATL,COM and WTL(not using MFC).here I need to take an array of _bstr_t values.But I don't know the array size.it will be varying.I can not keep a specific size on this array.I don't know how to allocate an array dynamically.will anybody plz help me with sample code for how to do this.It will be a great help for me.I know this is a MFC group and I am not using MFC,I have already posted in in ATL group twice,but no answer.So I am frustrated now.Plz help me if u can.Thanks in advance Hi Rindam, I think it would be easier for you to store pointe...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Numbers converting to decimal

serialize an excel file to xml
Hi, Has anyone worked on serializing an excel file to xml so that it can be submitted to econnect? I am having trouble creating this application and if anyone has worked on it, can you help me? thank you Stacey (staceyleelee@hotmail.com) I am putting the finishing touches on VB.NET code that serializes an Excel file to xml then sends the xml to GP (Misc Log Data). I can send you a code snippet if you need still it. "Stacey" wrote: > Hi, > Has anyone worked on serializing an excel file to xml so that it can be > submitted to econnect? I am having trouble creating th...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Convert English language document to Hindi
Is there any software available to convert an English language text document to Hindi language document by using dictionary based translation (not transliteration). For example: The sentence : My name is Joseph Should be converted to : ???? ??? ????? ?? ...

Problem with AFX_THREAD_STATE class converting from VS6.0 to VS.NET 2003
I have inherited some code that works in VS6.0. It has code snippets like the following: _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); pThreadState->m_nLastHit = 0; and _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThreadState(); CToolTipCtrl* pToolTip = pThreadState->m_pToolTip; It then does things with these values. In VS.NET, there is no member variable in _AFX_THREAD_STATE that corresponds to m_nLastHit or m_pToolTip. Have these been replaced by something similar in VS.NET 2003 that I can use? #if (_MFC_VER < 0x0700) _AFX_THREAD_STATE* pThreadState = AfxGetThrea...

Converting Hours an minutes just into minutes #2
Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the cells. Thank you Select the cell and change the format to: [m] -- Gary's Student "Six Sigma Blackbelt" wrote: > Is thier a formula to use to change hous and minutes, just into minutes ex: > 01:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes) into 90 minutes. And how do you format the > cells. > > Thank you ...

converting chart to spreadsheet?
how can i revert back to my spreadsheet from a chart? thanks You mean you have a chart but don't have the data it was created from? This article in the Microsoft knowledge base describes a macro that will extract data from a chart. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137016 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "excel chart" <excel chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E415558-89B6-457B-A340-2A8CE2BA5521@microsoft.com... > how can i revert back to my s...

graphics converter not working
I am using Publisher 2000 to create a newsletter. It has been going well but now that I'm ready to insert pictures from files, it won't work. I get the message saying that Publisher can't convert this picture (it's either that it doesn't recognize the format or there was an error installing the graphics converter and to go to to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Highlight the Publisher program and choose "Change". When prompted, choose "Add Features". Then be sure to select to run ALL from your computer so that everything is...