Help! Xml Data Island is not refreshing!!!!

Hi,

I have an xml data island which is used for providing data for a
dropdown list. However, change the 'src' attribute of the xml data
island doesn't seem to reload the xml island properly....

Here is my code:

<head>
    </head>

<script language="javascript">

function getNoneTextNode(node)
{
  if(node.hasChildNodes && node.firstChild.nodeType!=3)
  {
    return node.firstChild;
  }
  else if(node.hasChildNodes && node.childNodes[1].nodeType==1)
  {
    return node.childNodes[1];
  }
  else if(node.hasChildNodes && node.firstChild.nodeType==1)
  {
    return node.firstChild;
  }
  return null;
}

function SelectData(control)
{

  var xmlDoc = document.getElementById("xmlDoc");
  xmlDoc.setAttribute("src", "DynamicXmlIsland.asp?Fetch=" +
(control.selectedIndex+1));
  xmlDoc.load(xmlDoc.src);

   alert (" I am here");

  //get the root node
  ///var parentNode = xmlDoc.firstChild;
  var parentNode = getNoneTextNode(xmlDoc);

  var dropdown = document.getElementById("employeeDropdown");

  for (var i = dropdown.length;i > 0;i--) {
dropdown.options[0] = null;

  }
    if (parentNode.hasChildNodes)
    {
     for(var i =0; i <parentNode.childNodes.length; i++)
     {
var oOption = document.createElement("OPTION");
var optionValue =
document.createTextNode(parentNode.childNodes[i].childNodes[0].nodeValue);

oOption.appendChild(optionValue);
dropdown.appendChild(oOption);
     }
  }
}

</script>

<xml id="xmlDoc" src="DynamicXmlIsland.asp?Fetch=1"/>
Select 1 data file:
<select ONCHANGE="return SelectData(this)" id="Select1"
name="Select1" >
<option selected>1</option>
<option>2</option>
</select>
Employee Name:
<select id="employeeDropdown">
</select>

See the line where I have got the alert on.... if I comment that line
out, it doesn't work, but if I have the alert turned on, the xml
island is refreshed correctly....

I am really puzzled!!!!

Thanks in advanced

0
eslim (4)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:53:35 +0800, "Joe Bloggs" <eslim@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

>I have an xml data island which is used for providing data for a
>dropdown list. However, change the 'src' attribute of the xml data
>island doesn't seem to reload the xml island properly....

I don't really know why you'd expect it too.   Do it right - use the
XmlHttp object instead.

If you think carefully about what's happening here, and how it
strangely starts working when you have the alert(), then you should be
able to work out why it's failing.

0
dingbat (6)
4/7/2005 3:26:27 PM
Hi Andy,

No everyone will allow ActiveX to work in their IE. Users can easily lock
down their browser to disable ActiveX and the XmlHttp will fail... that is
why I am thinking of using DSO as my fall back.

Someone actually suggest that I check the readystate on the XML. The alert
box is probably giving me the time to allow the XML to down to the client
browser before I start iterating through the nodes.

Regards,
Joe

"Andy Dingley" <dingbat@codesmiths.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:53:35 +0800, "Joe Bloggs" <eslim@rocketmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have an xml data island which is used for providing data for a
>>dropdown list. However, change the 'src' attribute of the xml data
>>island doesn't seem to reload the xml island properly....
>
> I don't really know why you'd expect it too.   Do it right - use the
> XmlHttp object instead.
>

> If you think carefully about what's happening here, and how it
> strangely starts working when you have the alert(), then you should be
> able to work out why it's failing.

0
eslim (4)

Access data into Excel across columns
Is there a way to create an Access report that would take the field 'names' and expand the records from left to right (text vertical) rather than from top to bottom? The other alternative would be to bring the data into Excel and have it populate pre-formatted cells from left to right (across columns). I'm using Office XP Thanks in advance! ...

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Recovering Registry Data?
Hi, For no apparent reason, the laptop crashed & rebooted itself. During the reboot process, received message that missing registry is missing and to �CHKDSK�. I didn�t get the full message because it wasn�t up viewable long enough. I did conduct a �CHKDSK� without Adminstrator rights & now get the following message: �One of the files containing the system�s Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful�. I've been told that I need to run a "CHKDSK" through Adminstrator rights status first. Ho...

Help !

Displaying cell data in a chart
Previous posts indicate a successfuly method for displaying data/text from a cell into a chart. Following this procedure, I select the chart, press the equal sign, and select the cell, and then enter. The address of the sheet and the cell address are displayed after the equal sign. When I press enter nothing seems to happen. The data are supposed to display in the middle of the chart, but I do not get any display of the data. I am in a Pivot Table worksheet but did not directly insert a Pivot Chart. I used getpivotdata and created new cells for plotting into the inserted column ch...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Moving Row Data to Column/Row Groups
First off...great forum with super smart participants. Hopefully, I ca tap into some of this brain power!! :) I have received an Excel emai spreadsheet containing hundreds of names and corresponding emai addresses. Problem is the data runs on one line from A1 to GB1. Fo example, A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1, etc (name 1)(email 1)(name 2)(email 2)(name 3)(email 3) etc. I need to break the data to a two column format with the first colum containing the name and the second column containing the emai address...then dropping down to the next row and listing the next set then the next and so on. The good ne...

Problem copying table data as a picture onto chartsheet
I'm having a strange problem. I'm creating a special chart which has a pie chart on it as well as some tabular data that is formatted the way we want it on a worksheet, then pasted onto the chartsheet as a picture. (The pie chart aspect is working fine. I'm just having a problem with the tabular data.) When I copy the tabular data manually by selecting the data on the worksheet, then going to the Home tab and choosing the Paste menu dropdown, then "As Picture", then "Copy as picture...". In the resulting dialog box, I choose "As shown on scr...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help