Help, Transferring XML data under SSL

I need some advice on how to securely transfer data between two servers.
Here is the situation.  We have two sql servers that hold student data.
I have full access to my sql server, but only write access to the main
sql server on campus.  I hope to use XML and SSL to transfer student
data to the main server.

As for generating the XML, I'll have an asp.net page set up in a secure
directory that will generate the data in xml format.  The data people
will access this page and get the xml file with all the data.

What's the best way to turn a sql server table into XML format?

What about the SSL part?  Do all we need to do is access it with
https:// just like you would a typical secure page?

As for accessing the page, how will the data people authenticate to my
server?  What's the best way?  I'm sure they'll want to script it so
that this can be done automatically.

--
..
http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of

I hope that you are using SQL 2000 and then you can use the FOR XML things.
If not, then you should just return all the rows from ADO in your asp page
and generate a response.write with your xml. Access the page over https and
make sure that you are validated via nt authentication for your web page.

The web page should accept query string params so you can modify your return
as needed.

Yes, just access your page just like any other https page.

Authentication to your server should be via NT security. Setup a username
and password for them in your user manager and have them use that.

Scripting this is not a problem. Use xp_cmdshell and call out to an
application called "curl". Curl is free for download and it installs like
nothing. Once this is installed you can call your xp_cmdshell to curl, then
use your favorite method to import the data. Here's one example:

1) Put your ASP page on server1 that will return XML.

2) The ASP page will just create an ADO connection to your database and
response.write out the xml of your choice.

3) The ASP page will be protected by an NT user (not anonymous) and will be
https.

4) The sql server (server2) will have curl installed on it.

5) Create a BAT file that will accept %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 and such parameters
that will use curl with the passed in username, password, website, and
such.

6) The BAT file will use the curl command and redirect " > " to another file
the actual XML that is returned.

7) The BAT file will then call osql with the parameters needed to import the
XML into server2.

8) done.

.... please note that XML is a little inefficient in this manner and if you
are just attempting to pass data from one machine to the next the BEST way
to do this is not use XML but rather have your asp page generate a SQL
script that osql can just execute. So your BAT file just calls osql with
the correct logon params and executes the script that it just downloaded.
The script would start with "begin tran" and then all the inserts or
whatever statements then end with "commit". Simple.

jimb wrote:

> I need some advice on how to securely transfer data between two servers.
> Here is the situation.  We have two sql servers that hold student data.
> I have full access to my sql server, but only write access to the main
> sql server on campus.  I hope to use XML and SSL to transfer student
> data to the main server.
>
> As for generating the XML, I'll have an asp.net page set up in a secure
> directory that will generate the data in xml format.  The data people
> will access this page and get the xml file with all the data.
>
> What's the best way to turn a sql server table into XML format?
>
> What about the SSL part?  Do all we need to do is access it with
> https:// just like you would a typical secure page?
>
> As for accessing the page, how will the data people authenticate to my
> server?  What's the best way?  I'm sure they'll want to script it so
> that this can be done automatically.

See below.

Best regards
Michael

"jimb" <spam@spamity.spam> wrote in message
>I need some advice on how to securely transfer data between two servers.
> Here is the situation.  We have two sql servers that hold student data.
> I have full access to my sql server, but only write access to the main
> sql server on campus.  I hope to use XML and SSL to transfer student
> data to the main server.
>
> As for generating the XML, I'll have an asp.net page set up in a secure
> directory that will generate the data in xml format.  The data people
> will access this page and get the xml file with all the data.
>
> What's the best way to turn a sql server table into XML format?

Use FOR XML on your SELECT statement. If you cannot write statements
directly against the database, use the SQLXML component.

> What about the SSL part?  Do all we need to do is access it with
> https:// just like you would a typical secure page?

Yes. But your webserver needs to be configured to accept SSL connections
(enable the SSL port etc.).

> As for accessing the page, how will the data people authenticate to my
> server?  What's the best way?  I'm sure they'll want to script it so
> that this can be done automatically.
>
> --
> .
> http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of
> speculative fiction.
> .

0
mrys (4)

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

Recovering Registry Data?
Hi, For no apparent reason, the laptop crashed & rebooted itself. During the reboot process, received message that missing registry is missing and to �CHKDSK�. I didn�t get the full message because it wasn�t up viewable long enough. I did conduct a �CHKDSK� without Adminstrator rights & now get the following message: �One of the files containing the system�s Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful�. I've been told that I need to run a "CHKDSK" through Adminstrator rights status first. Ho...

Help !

Displaying cell data in a chart
Previous posts indicate a successfuly method for displaying data/text from a cell into a chart. Following this procedure, I select the chart, press the equal sign, and select the cell, and then enter. The address of the sheet and the cell address are displayed after the equal sign. When I press enter nothing seems to happen. The data are supposed to display in the middle of the chart, but I do not get any display of the data. I am in a Pivot Table worksheet but did not directly insert a Pivot Chart. I used getpivotdata and created new cells for plotting into the inserted column ch...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Problem copying table data as a picture onto chartsheet
I'm having a strange problem. I'm creating a special chart which has a pie chart on it as well as some tabular data that is formatted the way we want it on a worksheet, then pasted onto the chartsheet as a picture. (The pie chart aspect is working fine. I'm just having a problem with the tabular data.) When I copy the tabular data manually by selecting the data on the worksheet, then going to the Home tab and choosing the Paste menu dropdown, then "As Picture", then "Copy as picture...". In the resulting dialog box, I choose "As shown on scr...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated