Help needed with .xsd validation

i'm trying to create a .xsd file to validate the XML below(just a
small snippet).  i've tried a number of things and can come close, but
i can't quite get it to do what i want.  i'm able to validate the
snippet below using .NET with a schema that will make sure that the
six attributes are correct in spelling, but that's about it.

i would like it to be able to:
1) make sure each element(tool) is correct by having all the six
attributes present/required.
2) that each attribute is spelled correctly and consists of a string.

the .xsd is below as well.

i can't find any examples that address the way i have my elements and
attributes structured.  i really don't want to have to redo my XML
file to conform to the way my .xsd validates! that just seems silly
and a cop-out to me. am i stubborn you ask?  well, yeah!!!  :-)

any help is much appreciated.  thanks folks...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<xs:tools xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3schools.com" xmlns:xs="http://
www.w3schools.com/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xs:schemaLocation="http://
www.w3schools.com tool.xsd">
   <tool Name="tool1"
             ToolTip="tool1"
             ImageUrl="http://blah.com/images/tool1.png"
             IsSelected="false"
             Text="tool1"
             Value="tool1" />
   <tool Name="tool2"
             ToolTip="tool2"
             ImageUrl="http://blah.com/images/tool2.png"
             IsSelected="false"
             Text="tool2"
             Value="tool2" />
</xs:tools >

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" >
    <xs:element name="tool" type="toolset" />
    <xs:complexType name="toolset">
            <xs:attribute name="Name" type="xs:string" use="required"/

            <xs:attribute name="ToolTip" type="xs:string"
use="required"/>
            <xs:attribute name="ImageUrl" type="xs:string"
use="required"/>
            <xs:attribute name="IsSelected" type="xs:string"
use="required"/>
            <xs:attribute name="Text" type="xs:string" use="required"/

            <xs:attribute name="Value" type="xs:string" use="required"/

        </xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

forest demon wrote:

> i can't find any examples that address the way i have my elements and
> attributes structured.  i really don't want to have to redo my XML
> file to conform to the way my .xsd validates! that just seems silly
> and a cop-out to me. am i stubborn you ask?  well, yeah!!!  :-)

The XML editor in Visual Studio allows you to infer a schema from an XML
document so you might want to try that and use that schema as a starting
point. The xsd.exe tool in the .NET framework/Windows SDK can also do
that for you.

> <xs:tools xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3schools.com" xmlns:xs="http://
> www.w3schools.com/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xs:schemaLocation="http://
> www.w3schools.com tool.xsd">

The use of prefixes and namespaces and attributes above is rather
confusing, the schemaLocation attribute is usually in the namespace
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance and then the prefix xsi is
used for that namespace. So while the above markup is syntactically
correct I wonder why you put a schemaLocation attribute in the
www.w3schools.com namespace.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
On Aug 25, 4:51 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> The XML editor in Visual Studio allows you to infer a schema from an XML
> document so you might want to try that and use that schema as a starting
> point. The xsd.exe tool in the .NET framework/Windows SDK can also do
> that for you
>
> --
>
>         Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

that was definitely helpful and got me on the right track.

thanks martin, i appreciate your input.

-
fd
>The XML editor in Visual Studio allows you to infer a schema from an XML
>document so you might want to try that and use that schema as a starting
>point.
How exactly do you do this? I haven't figured that one out yet.

>The xsd.exe tool in the .NET framework/Windows SDK can also do that for
>you.
I always ended up with a dataset by the time I tried getting an xsd out of
an xml file with this way of doing it. sql server doesn't like the "dataset"
when I use the output as a column schema. The only way to get that to work
is to save the entire dataset to the column which isn't something I need to
do. Any ideas how to fix this?

0
a_borka (15)
8/25/2008 3:09:36 PM
Andy B wrote:
>> The XML editor in Visual Studio allows you to infer a schema from an XML
>> document so you might want to try that and use that schema as a starting
>> point.
> How exactly do you do this? I haven't figured that one out yet.

Add the XML file to the project and display it, then use the Xml menu ->
Create Schema menu entry or the button in the XML toolbar.

>> The xsd.exe tool in the .NET framework/Windows SDK can also do that for
>> you.
> I always ended up with a dataset by the time I tried getting an xsd out of
> an xml file with this way of doing it. sql server doesn't like the "dataset"
> when I use the output as a column schema. The only way to get that to work
> is to save the entire dataset to the column which isn't something I need to
> do. Any ideas how to fix this?

xsd.exe has various functions, if you want to infer a schema then the
command line is e.g.
xsd.exe file.xml

Make sure the file has the suffix .xml as the tool inferring a schema
depends on that. The inferred schema is then called file.xsd I think.
Documentation is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x6c1kb0s(VS.80).aspx

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Andy B wrote:
>>> The XML editor in Visual Studio allows you to infer a schema from an XML
>>> document so you might want to try that and use that schema as a starting
>>> point.
>> How exactly do you do this? I haven't figured that one out yet.
>
> Add the XML file to the project and display it, then use the Xml menu ->
> Create Schema menu entry or the button in the XML toolbar.
>
>>> The xsd.exe tool in the .NET framework/Windows SDK can also do that for
>>> you.
>> I always ended up with a dataset by the time I tried getting an xsd out
>> of an xml file with this way of doing it. sql server doesn't like the
>> "dataset" when I use the output as a column schema. The only way to get
>> that to work is to save the entire dataset to the column which isn't
>> something I need to do. Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> xsd.exe has various functions, if you want to infer a schema then the
> command line is e.g.
> xsd.exe file.xml
>
> Make sure the file has the suffix .xml as the tool inferring a schema
> depends on that. The inferred schema is then called file.xsd I think.
> Documentation is here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x6c1kb0s(VS.80).aspx
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
a_borka (15)

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

need to add custom entity to email selection list
We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as one of its fields. We would like to be able to select an employee record while creating an email activity. How do I add this entity to the list of entities to choose from in the To field in the email activity? You can't. The list of entities you can email to are set within CRM. One option to get around this is to load employees as Contacts - with a Contact type = Employee. "Jeanenne" wrote: > We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as > one of its fie...

Need function to insert worksheet name into a cell of that worksheet.
I have found a formula on the web help site to automatically insert a worksheet name into a cell of the worksheet. I have several worksheets and wish to identify each worksheet automatically in a cell of each worksheet. When I use the formula it initially brings in the correct worksheet name. However when I select another worksheet the prior name appears in the selected cell. Perhaps I need to change something in my formula or this is a problem that I can't correct. What is your suggestion? The following formula is what I am using in each worksheet. =MID(CELL("fil...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

What's wrong with the RETRY button on data validation?
Is there a problem with the RETRY button in data validation, as I cannot get it to work in any of the criteria allowable situations. Clicking it causes no action and the Data Validation dialog remains open. The only way I can use the validation is to click cancel, which, in effect, does the same thing, but..... If there is a problem, is it able to be fixed? (I have xl2000) Rob Hi Rob! Sounds like something wrong with your criteria. Re-Enter, Re-consider, or post criteria used and that required. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Wor...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...