Help Editing an XML File

Greetings,

This is my first post and I am hoping (praying) someone could help me.  I am
not a programmer, I just know enough to be dangerous.

I have a custom application someone developed for me that generates an XML
file to display web pages.  Following is a very small portion of an example
file:

<QLabel>Position</QLabel><QText>Which one of the following best describes
your primary job function?</QText><RotationValue>0</RotationValue>
<LastOnPage>false</LastOnPage>

I want to modify the XML file so that the web pages are displayed in
Spanish, not English.  Certain fields like <QLabel>, <RotationValue>, and
<LastOnPage> do NOT need to be translated because they control layout.  Other
fields such as <QText> would need to be translated.

I am looking for an easy way to translate the display text from English to
Spanish using MS Excel.  This means that: "Which one of the following best
describes your primary job function?" would be replaced with: ¿Cuál del
siguiente describe mejor su función primaria del trabajo?

I want to use Excel because I will be using a 3rd party to translate the
text and they need to use an Office application that they are familiar with.
After they provide me with an Excel file with translated text, I need to be
able to export it into a .XML file format.  Can anyone tell this beginner how
to do this from start to finish?  In summary I will start out with
English.xml and end up with Spanish.xml.

Thank you so much for your help!  My programmer is not available to work on
this.

Chip
0
MrChip (1)

"Mr. Chip" <MrChip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post and I am hoping (praying) someone could help me.  I
> am
> not a programmer, I just know enough to be dangerous.
>
> I have a custom application someone developed for me that generates an XML
> file to display web pages.  Following is a very small portion of an
> example
> file:
>
> <QLabel>Position</QLabel><QText>Which one of the following best describes
> your primary job function?</QText><RotationValue>0</RotationValue>
> <LastOnPage>false</LastOnPage>
>
> I want to modify the XML file so that the web pages are displayed in
> Spanish, not English.  Certain fields like <QLabel>, <RotationValue>, and
> <LastOnPage> do NOT need to be translated because they control layout.
> Other
> fields such as <QText> would need to be translated.
>
> I am looking for an easy way to translate the display text from English to
> Spanish using MS Excel.  This means that: "Which one of the following best
> describes your primary job function?" would be replaced with: �Cu�l del
> siguiente describe mejor su funci�n primaria del trabajo?
>
> I want to use Excel because I will be using a 3rd party to translate the
> text and they need to use an Office application that they are familiar
> with.
> After they provide me with an Excel file with translated text, I need to
> be
> able to export it into a .XML file format.  Can anyone tell this beginner
> how
> to do this from start to finish?  In summary I will start out with
> English.xml and end up with Spanish.xml.
>
> Thank you so much for your help!  My programmer is not available to work
> on
> this.
>
> Chip
With the latest version of Excel, 2007, and I believe the 2003 one, you can
save the data in the file as XML and at the same time apply a
transformation. Writing the transformation may not be easy, unless you have
a good grasp of XSLT, but is almost certainly doable. A lot depends on how
your third-party structure the Excel originally. If they use a schema mapped
document that could make things a lot simpler.

So all in all your steps would be:
Change the design of your existing XML to allow for multiple, or at least
two, languages. There is an existing XML way to do that, you assign
xml:lang="en" and xml:lang="es" to the different versions of the elements.
<QLabel xml:lang="en">Position</QLabel>
<QLabel xml:lang="es">Posici�n</QLabel>
etc.

Design the schema for the above XML and map it to an Excel template.

Import the existing data, after having modified it so it fits the new
schema, easily done with a XSL transformation. The Spanish versions will be
empty.

Get your third party to fill in the blanks.

Export out of Excel into XML along with a transformation. The transformation
can have a parameter specify which language is to be used creating the HTML.

Should only take a couple of hours :)

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
http://joe.fawcett.name

Since replying I've thought of an easier solution, not quite so well
designed but for a 'one-off' would be easier.
Create an Excel sheet with a row for each English questions and answers text
Have a blank row below for the Spanish version
Once the Spanish version is filled in use ADO to read the file and create a
recordset.
Use this recordset to create the new XML based on the design I suggested
earlier with the xml:lang attributes.
Proceeed as before.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
http://joe.fawcett.name

"Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
> schema mapped document that could make things a lot simpler.
>
> So all in all your steps would be:
> Change the design of your existing XML to allow for multiple, or at least
> two, languages. There is an existing XML way to do that, you assign
> xml:lang="en" and xml:lang="es" to the different versions of the elements.
> <QLabel xml:lang="en">Position</QLabel>
> <QLabel xml:lang="es">Posici�n</QLabel>
> etc.
>
> Design the schema for the above XML and map it to an Excel template.
>
> Import the existing data, after having modified it so it fits the new
> schema, easily done with a XSL transformation. The Spanish versions will
> be empty.
>
> Get your third party to fill in the blanks.
>
> Export out of Excel into XML along with a transformation. The
> transformation can have a parameter specify which language is to be used

sumifs help

Help !

Practice Files
Hi. I just purchased a used copy of "Step by Step Microsoft Excel 97 Visual Basic" by Reed Jacobson. Unfortunately, the practice files seem to be corupt on the accompanying CD. Does anyone have access to these file that they might send to me or know where I can download them? Thanks, Mike. mdemos@REMOVETHISattglobal.net ...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Uplaod file / Image file grater that 3mb.
Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. What to Do? I am using WINHTTP. You could try WinRar to break the file into smaller chunks Les <shrikant.gurav11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9cccc88a-a554-47ff-866f-c394295483ac@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Facing problem to upload the file with size greater than 3mb. > What to Do? > I am using WINHTTP. ...

exch 5.5 help

Problems sharing a file
I'm running Excel 97 SR2 and Win98SE. When I share the workbook Excel wants to save the book. OK. It then notifies me that it contains macros & VB code ... OK. I then get an illegal operation message and it closes Excel without saving. When I open the file again, sharing is not enabled. Did I miss something? Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Oscar ...

Can't load old .PST files
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000 and have saved my .PST files before reformating. After installing Outlook 2000, I tried to get all my mail/calendar/contacts back by using the .PST files I had saved but it doesn't work. I have a file named outlook.pst and one caled archive.pst. How can I use them? If trying to 'read' frm a cd you cannot OL requires read/write access. Copy frm cd to hd, ensure read only flag is off, then in OL File/Open/Personal Folders.... browse to location David "Louise" <pou@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:064201c36b45$9136f7c0$a101280a@p...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Publisher (PUB) file viewer?
How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having the actual software? You don't. You can't. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Steezy20" <Steezy20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75144304-0B4C-4EED-B4F7-614D6085FD65@microsoft.com... > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without having > the > actual software? Steezy20 wrote: > How do I view and print a .PUB (Microsoft Publisher) file without > having the actual software? Look, you l...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

Looking for control to browse files
Hi, I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I amworking with) I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such. I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item. I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good. What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file, something like a simple Open dialog Can someone point me to the right documentation, please ...

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

CFile::GetLength error in processing HUGE file.
Hi�� I have a question about my VC6 app. I read a huge binary file, which is >4GB. An exception will throwed when I run to the code below: .... CFile fileSrc(strSrcFilePath,CFile::modeRead); dwSrcLen = (unsigned long)fileSrc.GetLength(); <--- this row of code results in error! .... My app hangs in EINCORE.CPP, and the debug message is: CFile exception: generic, File Unknown, OS error information = 87. Any helps? Thanks. David, You do know that the largest integer that can be stored in a 32- bit unsigned long is 4 gig, right? So, clearly you are not going to get the value you w...