Getting an integer value (in one line) out of SelectSingleNode from an XMLDoc.

[C# code oriented]

Two questions:

(1)
I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code
as such:

strSomeString =
myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;

However, the text to be found there is an integer number.  I have tried
to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to
place that value into an integer variable.  This includes code such as:

intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString =
myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);

intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt32(strSomeString =
myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);

I even tried using Parse.  Also, I used an example in some newsgroup
where they said ").ToString()" was needed also (in addition to the
integer conversion).  That made no logical sense (since a string was
already being returned) but I tried it anyway as I was getting a bit
stressed.  No go.

I know I could stick the string value into a string variable and then
convert the variable but I do not think I should have to do that and
now it is a matter of pride to figure it out.  :-)

(2)
I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
the "Value" property instead, as such:

strSomeString = strSomeString =
myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).Value;

As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
"InnerText" on leaf nodes.  What gives here?

---

I think I am nearing the decision to move toward the VB.NET light (as
all the examples using VB.NET worked fine with its eased 'typing').  I
went with C# coming from a C, C++, Java, and perl background.  C# can
sure be peculiar and particular at times.

Any help is appreciated.

0
ajjvn (1)

(1) intSomeInt =
(int)(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);

"Sashi" <ajjvn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [C# code oriented]
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1)
> I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code
> as such:
>
> strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;
>
> However, the text to be found there is an integer number.  I have tried
> to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to
> place that value into an integer variable.  This includes code such as:
>
> intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt32(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> I even tried using Parse.  Also, I used an example in some newsgroup
> where they said ").ToString()" was needed also (in addition to the
> integer conversion).  That made no logical sense (since a string was
> already being returned) but I tried it anyway as I was getting a bit
> stressed.  No go.
>
> I know I could stick the string value into a string variable and then
> convert the variable but I do not think I should have to do that and
> now it is a matter of pride to figure it out.  :-)
>
> (2)
> I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
> the "Value" property instead, as such:
>
> strSomeString = strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).Value;
>
> As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
> "InnerText" on leaf nodes.  What gives here?
>
> ---
>
> I think I am nearing the decision to move toward the VB.NET light (as
> all the examples using VB.NET worked fine with its eased 'typing').  I
> went with C# coming from a C, C++, Java, and perl background.  C# can
> sure be peculiar and particular at times.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

0
Stephany
3/22/2005 8:39:11 AM
int value;
try
{
    value =
int.Parse(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]"
    , myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
}
catch
{
    Console.WriteLine(string.Format("Value '{0}' cannot be parsed to
Int32.", myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]"
    , myXmlNSMgr).InnerText));
}

If not working, make sure there is an actual integer in the InnerText
property as you expect.

--
Regards,
Dennis JD Myr�n
"Sashi" <ajjvn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [C# code oriented]
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1)
> I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code
> as such:
>
> strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;
>
> However, the text to be found there is an integer number.  I have tried
> to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to
> place that value into an integer variable.  This includes code such as:
>
> intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt32(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> I even tried using Parse.  Also, I used an example in some newsgroup
> where they said ").ToString()" was needed also (in addition to the
> integer conversion).  That made no logical sense (since a string was
> already being returned) but I tried it anyway as I was getting a bit
> stressed.  No go.
>
> I know I could stick the string value into a string variable and then
> convert the variable but I do not think I should have to do that and
> now it is a matter of pride to figure it out.  :-)
>
> (2)
> I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
> the "Value" property instead, as such:
>
> strSomeString = strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).Value;
>
> As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
> "InnerText" on leaf nodes.  What gives here?
>
> ---
>
> I think I am nearing the decision to move toward the VB.NET light (as
> all the examples using VB.NET worked fine with its eased 'typing').  I
> went with C# coming from a C, C++, Java, and perl background.  C# can
> sure be peculiar and particular at times.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

0
dennis5359 (37)
3/22/2005 1:29:52 PM
For those of you who replied, I must apologize.  It was 3am when I posted
that message and I cut-n-pasted the code snippets wrong.  Let me fix this:

I can get this to work (for string):

strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;

But I cannot get it to work with an integer as such:

intSomeInt =
(int)(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);

or

intSomeInt =
Convert.ToInt32(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);

and I even tried using Parse as in Dennis' post.

I do have the code in a try-catch block as well.

I have verified that an integer type value is being returned as well as
poking around in debugger.  Is there a compiler setting/directive I am
missing or something?  My examples and the others' solutions should be
working!

I hope that clarifies things.  I agree the solutions should work as posted
and originally tried by me before any postings but I cannot seem to get
around that darned "cannot convert 'string' to 'int'" error.

Also:
I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
the "Value" property instead, as such:

strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
myXmlNSMgr).Value;

As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
"InnerText" on leaf nodes (which "Element3" is).  What gives here?

"Sashi" wrote:

> [C# code oriented]
>
> Two questions:
>
> (1)
> I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code
> as such:
>
> strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;
>
> However, the text to be found there is an integer number.  I have tried
> to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to
> place that value into an integer variable.  This includes code such as:
>
> intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt32(strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>
> I even tried using Parse.  Also, I used an example in some newsgroup
> where they said ").ToString()" was needed also (in addition to the
> integer conversion).  That made no logical sense (since a string was
> already being returned) but I tried it anyway as I was getting a bit
> stressed.  No go.
>
> I know I could stick the string value into a string variable and then
> convert the variable but I do not think I should have to do that and
> now it is a matter of pride to figure it out.  :-)
>
> (2)
> I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
> the "Value" property instead, as such:
>
> strSomeString = strSomeString =
> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
> myXmlNSMgr).Value;
>
> As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
> "InnerText" on leaf nodes.  What gives here?
>
> ---
>
> I think I am nearing the decision to move toward the VB.NET light (as
> all the examples using VB.NET worked fine with its eased 'typing').  I
> went with C# coming from a C, C++, Java, and perl background.  C# can
> sure be peculiar and particular at times.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

0
Sashi (2)
3/22/2005 5:09:22 PM
So what did you have in that node?
Did you write it out?

There has to be something wrong with the data sent to Convert.ToInt32.

If this works:
int value = Convert.ToInt32("10");
then also this works, if there is an integer value in that node:
int value =

"Sashi" <Sashi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>>
>> I know I could stick the string value into a string variable and then
>> convert the variable but I do not think I should have to do that and
>> now it is a matter of pride to figure it out.  :-)
>>
>> (2)
>> I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
>> the "Value" property instead, as such:
>>
>> strSomeString = strSomeString =
>> myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> myXmlNSMgr).Value;
>>
>> As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as
>> "InnerText" on leaf nodes.  What gives here?
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I think I am nearing the decision to move toward the VB.NET light (as
>> all the examples using VB.NET worked fine with its eased 'typing').  I
>> went with C# coming from a C, C++, Java, and perl background.  C# can
>> sure be peculiar and particular at times.

0
dennis5359 (37)
3/29/2005 7:35:04 AM
In debugger, it had the value of "662" in one test and "4xx" (don't recall
the exact number in the second).  I agree, it should work.  Switched to VB
and all is well.  What the heck!

0
Sashi (2)
3/29/2005 8:33:02 AM
That was strange.

--

> In debugger, it had the value of "662" in one test and "4xx" (don't recall
> the exact number in the second).  I agree, it should work.  Switched to VB
> and all is well.  What the heck!
>
> "Dennis Myr�n" wrote:
>
>> So what did you have in that node?
>> Did you write it out?
>>
>> There has to be something wrong with the data sent to Convert.ToInt32.
>>
>> If this works:
>> int value = Convert.ToInt32("10");
>> then also this works, if there is an integer value in that node:
>> int value =
>> Convert.ToInt32(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Dennis JD Myr�n
>> Oslo Kodebureau
>> "Sashi" <Sashi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > For those of you who replied, I must apologize.  It was 3am when I
>> > posted
>> > that message and I cut-n-pasted the code snippets wrong.  Let me fix
>> > this:
>> >
>> > I can get this to work (for string):
>> >
>> > strSomeString =
>> > myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> > myXmlNSMgr).InnerText;
>> >
>> > But I cannot get it to work with an integer as such:
>> >
>> > intSomeInt =
>> > (int)(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> > myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > intSomeInt =
>> > Convert.ToInt32(myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> > myXmlNSMgr).InnerText);
>> >
>> > and I even tried using Parse as in Dennis' post.
>> >
>> > I do have the code in a try-catch block as well.
>> >
>> > I have verified that an integer type value is being returned as well as
>> > poking around in debugger.  Is there a compiler setting/directive I am
>> > missing or something?  My examples and the others' solutions should be
>> > working!
>> >
>> > I hope that clarifies things.  I agree the solutions should work as
>> > posted
>> > and originally tried by me before any postings but I cannot seem to get
>> > around that darned "cannot convert 'string' to 'int'" error.
>> >
>> > Also:
>> > I should also be able to get the same result as "InnerText" by using
>> > the "Value" property instead, as such:
>> >
>> > strSomeString =
>> > myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]",
>> > myXmlNSMgr).Value;
>> >
>> > As the MSDN docs state that "Value" should return the same as

0
dennis5359 (37)
3/29/2005 8:58:56 AM
Try using selectSingleNode(xpath).text
I have also seen selectSingleNode(xpath).value work as well, if you dont
use one of these two types selectSingleNode returns an object instead of
a string.

afrancis (1)

How to return a range of values in a drop-down.
Is there a way to have Excel return a range of values in a drop down in one cell based on input from another cell. As an example: Cell A1 has the text "PVC Pipe" I want cell A2 to get input from A1, read through a table, and return the corresponding values (sizes) of PVC pipe. The results in A2 would be the following in a drop down: 4" 6" 8" If cell A1 contained the text "Metal Pipe" it would return values (sizes) of metal pipe from a table and not display the sizes of PVC pipe. 10" 12" 15" The bottom line and...

Target.Offset(0, 36).Value Help
In the below, I use this to force the persons USERNAME to populate 36 rows to the right in a column I hide. This shows me who was in a spreadsheet and updating ONE specific column... Column AD. My question is this... Can I poulate a named range with their USERNAME. I want to insert a named range, then force the USERNAME there. (INSERT>NAME>DEFINE>) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Const myRange As String = "ad7:AD90" 'Const myrange As String = "A3,A6,A8,A11,A16" On Error GoTo stoppit Application.EnableEvents = False...

How to transfer message rules from one computer to another
Hi I would like to know about How to transfer message rules from one computer to another Computer? Thanks Assuming the other computer's running OE, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276511/ and/or http://www.insideoe.com/backup/partial.htm -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 www.banthecheck.com nospam wrote: > Hi > > I would like to know about How to transfer message rules from one > computer > to another Computer? > > Thanks The Partial Backup: http://www.insideoe.com/backup/p...

Colour values of calendar categories
Hi I'm trying to ensure appointments on our calendar are colour-coded by keywords. To keep track of which colour is assigned to which keyword, and so I can show others, I'm using Excel 2007. The problem is, I can't find anywhere that lists the rgb / hex value of the named colours (red, dark red, teal, maroon, etc). Please does anyone know where I can find these values, or better still, just let me know what they are? Thanks in advance Steve Years ago I had a tool that displayed the value for the color of where the mouse cursor was placed over. But I don'...

How to paint connections by value
Hi, Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "size & position" one by one, How to do that? now looking up that "color by value" command and it doesn't work? Pls help? "Tulga" <tulgabat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:856c2ee0-0b04-48d0-9ad0-67791fd83b4e@w9g2000prb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different > colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "...

Tax Value Not Transferring
We currently have our salespeople working in orders, and once the order is complete, we transfer it to an invoice. When we perform these transfers, if there is any value entered in the Tax field, this value is not transferred onto the invoice. We always check the box labeled "Include Totals and Deposits," but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Also, we noticed that whenever the shipping method on an invoice is changed, the value in the tax field changes to 0. Is there any way to prevent either of these things from happening? ...

A Crystal Beginner

sort by subtotal values
When I use the insert subtotals, I would like to sort by those subtotals. It is not sorting them properly. What do I need to do first before I tell it to sort. Thanks so much If you have one level of subtotals, you can collapse the table, so only the subtotals are visible. Then, select a cell in the column that you want to sort, and click the A-Z or Z-A button on the toolbar. harry wrote: > When I use the insert subtotals, I would like to sort by > those subtotals. It is not sorting them properly. What > do I need to do first before I tell it to sort. -- Debra Dalgleish...

No one can schudle a meeting
Since we upgraded from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 and my staff can not invite others in the office through calendar invitation in outlook 2000. When they click on any name, their time show like this ////////////////////////////////// (no information). Since this is effecting everybody in the office, I am sure the answer is easy but where? Can anybody help? Thanks, Dooma: That doesn't mean that people can't schedule meetings. It just means that the free/busy time for the particular user is not available. For the users who show up with //// for their F/B times, go to the use...

Get paid while you get online!!

Inability to chart a logartihmic values
I have been working on some mathematical formulas and equations and am trying to chart them. However I need to be able to have a logarithmic axis for one set of the values and do not know how to obtain this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. To get a log scale, double click on an axis, click on the Scale tab of the Format Axis dialog that pops up, and check the Logarithmic Scale box. If you want to make the X axis into a log scale, make sure you have a scatter chart, not a line chart. The line chart treats the X values as nonnumeric categories, while the scatter chart treats them as ...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Scaling XY charts with suppressed starting value
The autoscaling feature of the Excel graphing function seems to have (limited) mind of its own. I'm trying to graph Y-values in the -1.5 t 1.5 range and X-values from 190 to 410 with the minimum from 190 to 29 and the max value from 290 to 410. The autoscaling of Y works fine, but the X-axis always start at 0 while the high value properly sets the maximum. Of course, I could fi the minimum at 190, but that is not what I had in mind. Does anyone know how to overcome this limitation without using a macro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Per - You need to make an XY Sca...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

excell charting problem with false values
I have the following formula =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,"") chart shows 0's for false empty value "" I would like to skip false or format so that value doesn't get charted. Replace 'nothing' with N/A which gets ignored by chart. =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,NA()) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Ricky Ray" <Ricky Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44FC3775-2804-4167-BF87-01EE74E1A291@microsoft.com... >I have the following formula ...

How do I get??

Can the Item Description wrap to multiple lines on an invoice?
We have some long item descriptions (up to the 100 character limit), and we were trying to figure out how to get them to print on an invoice. If I spread the field all out on a single line, it's too long to fit on the document. If I create a box that's several lines tall, it does partially wrap, but it doesn't print the full description - it cuts off after around the 60th character or so. Has anyone successfully wrapped an item description on an invoice? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 I think you'll need to parse it and then...

Getting Control ID in Active X control