FOR XML Explicit, XMLDATA not giving relationship information in XDR for nested XML

This is a problem that has been nagging me for a while, and I cannot
figure out how to best solve the problem:

I have a stored procedure that returns multi-level "nested" XML and
inline XDR.  My goal is to have a .NET application read the XML into a
DataSet using the inline schema, and the relations automatically
created according to the nesting of the elements.

My query in the stored procedure looks similar to this:

SELECT 1 AS TAG,
NULL AS PARENT,
c.name [Customer!1!Name]
NULL [Details!2!Address]
FROM Customer c
UNION ALL
SELECT 2 AS TAG,
1 AS PARENT,
NULL,
c.address
FROM Customer c
FOR XML EXPLICIT, XMLDATA

The XML that gets returned looks fine, but the XDR does not contain
any relation information.  That is, the schema does not restrict how
the <Details> element must be nested within the <Customer> element.

Therefore when I use my .NET app to load the XML into a DataSet (using
ReadMode.Fragment), the relation between the Customer table and the
Details table are not linked in any way.

However, when I load the DataSet using ReadMode.InferSchema and then
write out the schema (with ds.WriteXmlSchema), the XSD indeed contains
the relation information.  If I use the XSD schema next time to load
the DataSet, the tables in the DataSet will have the appropriate
relations.

My question is, how can I use XMLDATA in my stored procedure to create
relation information, so that my DatSet can auto-generate the
relations when it loads the XML?  More generally, is there a way to
create an inline schema such that I can auto-generate the "nested"
relations in a DataSet?
0
ctong (1)

XML Header

Read XHTML into XML

How to invoke the xml editor?

Can't Send from OWA
We have exchange 2003 enterprise edition. On campus we can send/receive email with outlook 2003. When off campus, we use OWA. We can receive email and can open and read our email, but when we try to send, it stops the Information Store and does not send. I have the store.exe to restart automatically no matter what and it does with no problem, but still can not send from OWA. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance, Carlis Burns CIO That's not good. I've never seen that problem. Is there anything in the event log? Sending mail causes an "OWA Scratch Pad" temporary message to...

show XML schema and values

Offline synch using XML web-services

String to xml document

Beginner of XML

Valid xml to read from an xml file?
I'm using vb.net, i get an error at the reader line saying the remote server can't be found. Is the below even valid? dim reader as XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader ("http://www.mysite.com/my.xml") do while (reader.Read()) 'do some action here response.write(reader) loop thanx chumley XmlTextReader uses System.Net.WebRequest under the covers -- see if you can figure out how to create a connection that way. Usually there's some proxy server information missing that you can enable if you use WebRequest directly, and then pass the result of GetResponse()...

Example eConnect XML documents
MSDN says the following: Installing eConnect schema When you include the schemas component of the eConnect install, the installer places schema files in a schemas folder on your computer. The following schema resources are available: The install places the .xsd schema files in the directory c:\Program Files\Microsoft Great Plains\eConnect9\XML Schema\Incoming XSD Individual Schemas. The files in the directory contain the schema for each eConnect XML document. The install places a file named eConnect.xsd that contains the schema definition for all eConnect XML documents. The install typicall...

Comparing Information
Heya im pretty new to access. I have a table which is a list of names (all the people in my office) Called 'Names' I have another table which has a list of dates for a month. Its filled in with people who are absent on what days for that month. This is called 'Absence' I want to create a way where it subtracts the names that are absent on that day, for the whole to leave me who isn't absent..... E.G. Table 1 Table 2 'Names' 'monday 1st' 'Tuesday 2nd' A ...

Saving DataSet as XML in ADO format using VB.NET
Hi, I am trying to convert a lot of web reports from ASP/VB to ASP.NET/VB.NET. I would like to save my dataset in XML and then use XSLT to transform the XML. The catch is I would like to have the XML in the format that ADO uses versus the default format in which ADO.NET uses. Currently, I am using ADO within .NET, but I am concerned about the performance and it might improve if I used the native data providers for .NET. I am not sure if I am missing something but how do I save the .NET DataSet to XML in the OLD ADO format? Thanks for you help in advance and it is most appreciated. In the ...

XML variable for description on receipt?
Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended descriptions) to display on the printed receipt under the main description. What is the variable to do that? Entry.Item.Description Entry.Item.ExtendedDescription Entry.Item.SubDescription1 Entry.Item.SubDescription2 Entry.Item.SubDescription3 R. "Zorian" <Zorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4425EAC-62B6-46FE-826A-D8BA2AA75DBB@microsoft.com... > Hi, I would like to add a description (actually all of those 3 extended > descriptions) to display on the printed receipt un...

Restricting address book information
I have had a request to allow a certain division of employees to only be able to view certain parameters of the global address book - Name, Username, Title, Department, Phone and Email Address. Is it possible to restrict access to the GAL and create a separate address book and prevent them from seeing all the other information that gets plugged into the address book from Active Directory? Is it possible to allow another group (such as managment and executives) to be able view the information in the global address book? Regards, -- Garrett D. Felix, M.S. You can create different global ...

xml to SQL
Hey we have a project in which a company produces a XML page in reply to actions on it's site. I see that SQL 2000 works well with XML so Can someone point me in the right direction, I would like to take the XML from thier SQL and have it "post" to own sql server (add,create, data, modifity and delete data on the fly). I was looking at doing XML to HTML and then passing to some a ASP but if we can grab from the responsetext then we could save time and headaches. Now I really know next to nothing about XML but I am reading all the newsgroups and pulled now TONS of xml / sql stuff ...

Exchange Server 2003: Can I set a public folder or information store up on different server?
Hi I was wondering if it is possible to set up a second information store for public folders onto a separate server. The primary information store would reside on server 1 with its private and public edb file but i would like a second public accessible edb file set up on a second server distinct from the exchange server. Thanks in advance for any help. Marco You mean a Public Folder server? Yes, you can. If your PF traffic/performance requirements justify it, as they do in some organizations, you can setup a setup a separate server and host Public Folders on it. -- Bharat Suneja MVP -...

new xml file is larger than the original
i'm working on a windows application that will edit and create xml files from another application. the original file is 83k, the one created by my vb.net program is 153k but all i add is a new xmlelement when i use the other program and add a xmlelement is only increased the file to 85k. how come my application increased 70k in size and also added the <?xml version="1.0"?> when i didn't tell it to. how do i duplicated a xml file and only add the xml element that i want to insert. where did the extra 70k come from. thanks here is my code: Dim newEvtEnr...

RE: Auto update information in footer
Hey, I would like to ad a feature in an Excel footer that would place a person's information(login name, identifier, etc.) for when the file was created from a template. The footer would not contain the template designer's information, just who first saved it from a template. Also I do not want the name of the person who first created the file from a template to change because of subsequent updates. Can this be done? i.e. File Created on 02/11/2010 by John Wayne Thx -psnell ...

Safepay Payee information
I am have setup a client's safepay and need the file information to pull Payee from the Purchasing checks and the Bank Transaction checks. Currently only the Purchasing check's payee is showing in the file. Does anyone have a solution for this? Leslie, SafePay was originally designed to work with Purchasing and for sure does not integrate with Bank Rec, hence the reason you do not see the Bank Rec miscellaneous checks as part of your safepay file. Nonetheless, the workaround seem to be: 1) Generate a SmartList with the miscellaneous checks from Bank Rec 2) Export to Excel a...

xml data in excel
I have designed an excel template with tabular format (row by row input) for user input. I have to make the validation for those input. My question is that is it possible to use XML schema as the input format template and use it for the data validation like normal XML validation. Could anyone suggest me how to do that?? Million thanks. ...

XSLT, XML to XML
Hello, I would like to transform this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> to this; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <ProductList> <Product> <ID>1</ID> <Name>Gadget</Name> </Product> </ProductList> Basically I am hoping to use XslTransform and an XSLT stylesheet to change the format of some input XML so i...

http xml post
Hi I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). In my testing - I have been able to create and post xml string/stream and send response back. But now I've been told that I should "code the whole xml payload string as a single key" I'm not sure what this means and haven't been able to find anything about it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Cindy "CindyH" <chenschel@new.rr.com> wrote in message news:eg9EfjVsIHA.4716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I'm working on a http xml post (request/response). > > In my t...

CSplitterWnd::SetColumnInfo gives "Access Violation"
Hi All, I've been working on porting a 16-bit application to 32-bit, it now appears to compile success fully, all 16-bit variable references have been removed and replaced with 32-bit variables. However I'm getting an access violation error when I try an execute. I've been banging my head on this for a while, any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is the Call stack. Thanks, Kevin CSplitterWnd::SetColumnInfo(int 0, int 315, int 50) line 437 + 15 bytes CSplitter::OnSize(unsigned int 0, int 616, int 301) line 82 CWnd::OnWndMsg(unsigned int 5, unsigned int 0, long 19726952,...

Problem creating XML file...
Hi all! I'm trying to create this XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Build type="Daily" sync="True" compile="True" assemble="True" > <Sync version="1.0.0.0" branch="QA"> <Directories basePath="//OpicsPlus/Source/Release" /> </Sync> </Build> For this, I'm trying to use the code below: private static BuildConfiguration SaveXML(XmlDocument xml, string fileName) { // Creates the nodelist XmlNodeList nodeList; XmlElement user = xml.Docume...