ERR: The root element is missing

I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I can't
modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under intense
pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt the files
alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3 with no
problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about no root
element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried manually
adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up unreadable.

Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
<dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
    <student_table>
        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
        <last_name>john</last_name>
        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
        <gender>Female</gender>
        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>

The code I'm using to try to read this is:

dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
Try
    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
Catch e As Exception
    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
End Try

The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.

But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no problem
with missing root element.

What can I do to get this abomination running?

Thanks.

0
pauln (3)

Have you tried using dsXML.Read() instead?

Max

"Paul Nations" <pauln@adhe.arknet.nospam.edu> wrote in message
> I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
> receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I
> can't modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under
> intense pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt the
> files alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3 with
> no problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about no root
> element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried manually
> adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up unreadable.
>
> Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
> <dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
>    <student_table>
>        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
>        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
>        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
>        <last_name>john</last_name>
>        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
>        <gender>Female</gender>
>        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>
>
> The code I'm using to try to read this is:
>
> dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
> Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
> Try
>    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
>    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
>    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
> Catch e As Exception
>    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
> End Try
>
> The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.
>
> But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no problem
> with missing root element.
>
> What can I do to get this abomination running?
>
> Thanks.

0
max6267 (5)
6/7/2005 1:09:09 AM
If the file is smallish you could read it all into a "string" using
StreamReader.ReadToEnd() then do this:

Dim reader as New StreamReader(fout);  ' do you know the encoding? If so
pass it to the constructor here
Dim fixedXml = "<root>" + reader.ReadToEnd() + "</root>"
Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(new StringReader(fixedXml))

"Paul Nations" <pauln@adhe.arknet.nospam.edu> wrote in message
> I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
> receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I
> can't modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under
> intense pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt the
> files alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3 with
> no problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about no root
> element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried manually
> adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up unreadable.
>
> Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
> <dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
>    <student_table>
>        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
>        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
>        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
>        <last_name>john</last_name>
>        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
>        <gender>Female</gender>
>        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>
>
> The code I'm using to try to read this is:
>
> dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
> Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
> Try
>    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
>    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
>    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
> Catch e As Exception
>    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
> End Try
>
> The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.
>
> But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no problem
> with missing root element.
>
> What can I do to get this abomination running?
>
> Thanks.

dataset.read()

does not seem to be a method of the dataset object.

Thanks anyway.

"Max Schneider, Image Innovation" <max@imageinnova-takethisout.com> wrote in
message news:Xs6pe.49503$rt1.40691@fe04.lga...
> Have you tried using dsXML.Read() instead?
>

> Max
>
> "Paul Nations" <pauln@adhe.arknet.nospam.edu> wrote in message
>> I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
>> receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I
>> can't modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under
>> intense pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt
>> the files alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3
>> with no problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about
>> no root element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried
>> manually adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up
>> unreadable.
>>
>> Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
>> <dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
>>    <student_table>
>>        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
>>        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
>>        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
>>        <last_name>john</last_name>
>>        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
>>        <gender>Female</gender>
>>        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>
>>
>> The code I'm using to try to read this is:
>>
>> dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
>> Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
>> Try
>>    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
>>    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
>>    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
>> Catch e As Exception
>>    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
>> End Try
>>
>> The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.
>>
>> But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no problem
>> with missing root element.
>>
>> What can I do to get this abomination running?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
pauln (3)
6/7/2005 1:41:44 PM
That seems to have done it.  All my files are small < 65K (so far).  So I
should be able to use this for the remainder of the scholarship application
season.  I'll need to redo the website and - well the entire system needs to
be scrapped and rewritten.

Thanks so much.  The students will never know who helped them get their
scholarships.

Thanks.

"Chris Lovett" <someone@nospam.please> wrote in message
> If the file is smallish you could read it all into a "string" using
> StreamReader.ReadToEnd() then do this:
>
> Dim reader as New StreamReader(fout);  ' do you know the encoding? If so
> pass it to the constructor here
> Dim fixedXml = "<root>" + reader.ReadToEnd() + "</root>"
> Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(new StringReader(fixedXml))

> "Paul Nations" <pauln@adhe.arknet.nospam.edu> wrote in message
>> I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
>> receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I
>> can't modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under
>> intense pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt
>> the files alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3
>> with no problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about
>> no root element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried
>> manually adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up
>> unreadable.
>>
>> Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
>> <dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
>>    <student_table>
>>        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
>>        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
>>        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
>>        <last_name>john</last_name>
>>        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
>>        <gender>Female</gender>
>>        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>
>>
>> The code I'm using to try to read this is:
>>
>> dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
>> Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
>> Try
>>    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
>>    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
>>    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
>> Catch e As Exception
>>    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
>> End Try
>>
>> The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.
>>
>> But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no problem
>> with missing root element.
>>
>> What can I do to get this abomination running?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
pauln (3)
6/7/2005 1:44:18 PM
I see from another post that you found another way around the problem. I
also see that you mentioned dataset.read(); case is important in C++, and I
know that you're coding in VB...did you try dataset.Read()? I see it listed
as a method of XmlTextReader.

Regards,

> dataset.read()
>
> does not seem to be a method of the dataset object.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>

> "Max Schneider, Image Innovation" <max@imageinnova-takethisout.com> wrote
> in message news:Xs6pe.49503$rt1.40691@fe04.lga...
>> Have you tried using dsXML.Read() instead?
>>

>> Max
>>
>> "Paul Nations" <pauln@adhe.arknet.nospam.edu> wrote in message
>>> I'm in a real pickle.  I've inherited a project with major problems.  It
>>> receives encrypted XML files from a website not under my control (so I
>>> can't modify the web app) for insertion into a database.  I'm under
>>> intense pressure to get the data into the database NOW.  I can decrypt
>>> the files alright and they look like xml, they'll import into Access 2K3
>>> with no problem, but VB.Net will not read them.  It's complaining about
>>> no root element, and it's right there is no root element.  I've tried
>>> manually adding a root to the decrypted file but the remainder winds up
>>> unreadable.
>>>
>>> Here is the top few lines of the decrypted file.
>>> <dsFullStudentDataNew xmlns="NetFrameWork">
>>>    <student_table>
>>>        <ssn>000000000</ssn>
>>>        <first_name>rushmi</first_name>
>>>        <middle_initial>p</middle_initial>
>>>        <last_name>john</last_name>
>>>        <dob>11/12/1978</dob>
>>>        <gender>Female</gender>
>>>        <present_address>16 kavanaugh</present_address>
>>>
>>> The code I'm using to try to read this is:
>>>
>>> dim sInfile as String = OpenFile(True)
>>> Dim fout As FileStream = DecryptFile(sInfile)
>>> Try
>>>    Dim xmlRdr As New XmlTextReader(fout)
>>>    xmlRdr.XmlResolver = Nothing
>>>    dsXML.ReadXml(xmlRdr)            <------------error here
>>> Catch e As Exception
>>>    Console.WriteLine(e.ToString())
>>> End Try
>>>
>>> The error I'm getting is The root element is missing.
>>>
>>> But, there has to be a way tor read this file.  Access 2k3 has no
>>> problem with missing root element.
>>>
>>> What can I do to get this abomination running?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

0
max6267 (5)

FILE MISSING
I had just finished working on a file (saved) before diverting to another thing. I was amazed to see that all the file content had disappeared while the file name remained . Ive tried all I could to open it to no avail. Kindly assist me urgently. My regards, Sodamola Are you saying that you can't open the file? If so what is the error message you get? if you mean that you can open the file but it is empty it is impossible, maybe you saved the file when your cursor was not in the area with the data then it will open at the same spot. Press ctrl + home to take you to A1 and see if ...

How do I calculate the Root Mean Square (RMS)
=SQRT(AVERAGE(A1:A5^2)) array entered (ctrl+shift+enter) where A1:a5 is the range where the number range exists "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" <aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4AECE52A-2666-43FB-9717-3D98B2747894@microsoft.com... > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, You need to know the values you're wanting the RMS of. If this is electronics, where RMS is virtually completely misunderstood, you need to say what the waveform is (sine, square, program material, or what), and what you know about...

Missing Text From Brochure Template
Students recently created brochures using Publisher tri-fold templates. They changed the text and added graphics, saved the changes, then sent as e-mail attachments to the instructor. When the instructor opened the .pub, the text in some of the brochures converted back to the latin found in the template. Some text boxes came through and some didn't. Both parties are using Pub 2003, WIndowsXP and Outlook Exchange Server. Any ideas? I've sent myself 6 different brochures, none changed when I received them back. If the students saved the document correctly there is no way the ...

LoadLibrary() Fails (@err 998:invalid Memeory Access)
hi all , i am getting this Problem i am Unable to Load the DLL/ACM, the Problem with this (DLL /ACM ) is its a C code but this DLL using the C++ library i written a wrapper for C++ library and Used this now, its Linking Correctly....and Created the (DLL/ACM), but when i try to load this (DLL/ACM) i am getting a LoadLibrary() is failing and flagging Error 998 (invalid memory access) so please help me out its very Urgent thanks in advance. It would help a lot if you showed the code, and told us, at the point where the error occurred, what the ACTUAL parameters are. At that point, the problem w...

Exchange Mailbox Missing Emails
I had a user that said they were not receiving mails on their laptop, i logged in to OWA and the mails that were missing looked like they were there. I then set up this user on a desktop machine and it started to sync the folders and email. I canceled this because i could see the missing mails. I then got them to log back in on there laptop and mails were missing out there inbox. Any reason for this and can i recover them? i have actually found the mails on the local pc i set up, this user works remotely, can i upload these emails to the exchange mailbox anyway, or does it have to be...

Removing XML Element. Simple??? Give me your trick please
This is my XML file and below you will find my code to remove it... I was thinking that it's a simple task but this code doesn't work. Anybody have a better solution? <Advertisements> <Ad> <ImageUrl>http://localhost/UQCN/Images/Ecoroute.gif</ImageUrl> <NavigateUrl>/UQCN/WebModules/AdsManager/PassThrough.aspx?AD=4</NavigateUrl> <AlternateText>Test!</AlternateText> <Keyword>Wrox</Keyword> <Impressions>1</Impressions> </Ad> ----------Here is the element I want to remove from my XML doc <Ad>...

Missing Worksheet in Shared Excel 97
Hi We are having this problem, where randomly users are having missing worksheets in a multi worksheet spreadsheet which is shared. The worksheet is there on one night, but next morning, that worksheet is gone. We are on Windows Xp SP1, with Office 97. Thanks. Dave ...

eConnect Err taPMTransactionInsert
When importing XML data via eConnect I receive the error message below. Any ideas what causes this? Unique MessageId = Line Number=6410 Version=8.0.1.0 Error Source = Error Number = 1400 Error Description = Procedure taPMTransactionInsert does not exist in database. Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=TEST;Data Source=ACCT Node Sequence Number = 0 Document Node: <taPMTransactionInsert> ...

Missing Attachment
This is wild, and I haven't been able to find anything out there relating to this problem. The prerequisities: Exchange 2003 (no sp yet) running on 2000 sp4. When receiving email (obviously) from one company, if they attach a file and send it to multiple people at my business, the last recipient in the list does not get the attachment. It seems to be only from this particular company, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the attachment to magically disappear from the last persons mailbox. It doesn't matter who the last person is. Any thoughts? Do y...

Table Alias
Hello everyone; Here is a simple problem. I want to find duplicates in a particular column of a query (this query is joining together two tables). So I've designed a duplicates query to do the task. I want to create a table alias (for the first query, since it's name is long). I write the code to do this, and when I run the duplicates query, Access says that it cannot find the input query. I'm certain that I've messed up something simple. Can you tell me what it is? Here is my code: SELECT A.Certificate, A.Certificate2, A.DDH FROM qry_Select_Assays_for_Excel as A...

-Err 0x800ccc90
I am using Outlook 2000. When I try to send/recieve email to/from our corporate email server (Exchange 5.5 SP4) I get the following error message: "x message(s) couldn't be retrieved from the server. This usually happens when the connection to the server is lost due to server or network problems..." The POP3 server responded with an error. Server Response: '-ERR The requested message could not be converted to an RFC-822 compatible format... Error Number: 0x800ccc90." The problem started after I tried to relay a very large file to a vendor for troubleshootin...

Missing e-mails #4
We are running Windows 200 along with Office 2000 in our office. All of our users are set up to use the exchange server as there repository for e-mails. I have one user who logs on at 2 different locations in our office. When she logs onto one PC her e-mails disapear from the other. After she reads them she can no longer find them at either location. I fear that she may have lost them for good but I am hoping there is a way to retieve them. Hi Pete, Check the delivery location for her mail on both machines, it sounds like the mail is being deliverd to a .PST file on one machine, ...

xsd serialization and .net names of duplicate elements
I have a schema that goes something like this: <xs:element name="account"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequeuence> <xs:element name="accountid" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="account" type="xs:string"/> <xs:sequeuence> </xs:complexType> </xs:element> When xsd generates a class for it, the end result is that the local account element is named something like account1: public partial class account { public string accountid { get; set; } [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlEle...

MIssing "Stop Recording" macro button/toolbar
Hi, While creating a macro the Stop Recording button/toolbar disappeared. I can record a macro, but the box never shows up agaiin. Can anyone tell me how to make it appear again? Thanks Jim, try this, when you are recording a macro go to view toolbars and check stop recording -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "JimFor" <jimfor@aol.comNOSPAM> wr...

CC Error
I just received the following error on a CC trx, "EB: Check Digit Err". I have never seen this error before and find nothing on Customer or PratnerSource about it. Anyone know what this error represents? Back history: - The store processes on a TSYS platform. - The store has been in operation for 2+ yrs with no prior Technical Errors - Other CCs of same type work (i.e. Visa for this issue) - Store is related to customer, so retaining info will not be difficult - Store is verifying CC number with customer now, will post back if the error is related to a bad CC number. I love my ...

WMP.dll functions now missing
I have heard that WMP.dll once allowed one to hand it a stream of bytes instead of having to direct it to connect to an internet stream. Is this true? Is there a version available that does allow me to hand it a stream of bytes to play? I have .mp3 and .aac streams I would like to send it. I have WMP running on .aac thanks to a nice, free plugin but it might not be backwards compatible with an earlier version. What's the difference to you between stream of bytes and internet stream? What are you trying to do? Are you trying to do local playback of a live stream? Ther...

-ERR mailbox could not be opened
Windows 7 Ultimate x64; Windows Live Mail Client; all updates applied. Have 1 'Hotmail' & 2 'Live' accounts, all set up in WLM using pop3.live.com / smtp.live.com settings. Been working fine up until yesterday. One of the 'Live' accounts will not sync anymore. Error message as follows (account name masked out): --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unable to send or receive messages for the Live (*************) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive message...

schema question for dynamic elements
I was wondering how to write the schema so that the DataSet LoadXml() method will create the associated DataTable. I've tried the following in the schema file (using VS.NET 2005): <xs:complexType name="Header"> <xs:complexContent> <xs:restriction base="xs:anyType"> <xs:sequence> <xs:any /> </xs:sequence> </xs:restriction> </xs:complexContent> </xs:complexType> If I don't load the schema (in the snippet below), the "Header" table is created. I want it to be dynamic ...

import email
The import option for addresses is greyed out in Outlook 2000. Attempting to import it from the main Outlook window to the contacts folder creates the error message: A file error has occurred in comma separated values/Exel (Windows) translator. >>> variations of the theme on any program from which I try to import. OBDC should be in, since necessary for other programs. No other programs running when the error occurs. Is there any knowledge of a corrupted or missing DLL or other required file which could cause this? Thank you. Do you have the translators installed? Run Add/...

Missing data
-- I have taken on a database from someone else but when it is opened there are no records showing. If I open it holding the shift key I can access all records. how can I change the properties to see records on open without holding shift. Jamie -- All OK I have found my own solution. Filter sort was applied. Jamie "Jamie" wrote: > > -- I have taken on a database from someone else but when it is opened there > are no records showing. If I open it holding the shift key I can access all > records. how can I change the properties to see records on open without &g...

Credit Memo Posts to GL Missing Credit
For some reason, when we post Credit Memos to the GL, the Credit portion of the transaction gets posted to the correct account, but the debit is blank. Where can I look to see how this posting mechanism works and if our accounts are set up correctly for CMs? You should get an error message if either the debit or credit distribution account is missing. The first thing I would do is run a dummy transaction and closely review the posting journal for evidence of what accounts are being posted to. Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL ...

Tabs missing in ADUC
I have installed Windows 7 pro on a new machine as an eventual replacement for my current workstation. I then installed the Admin Pack on it so that I could have Active Directory Users and Computers on it. When I open the properties of a user in ADUC on this Windows 7 box, there are some tabs missing, specifically the Terminal Services Profile, Environment, Sessions, Dial-in, and Remote Control tabs. I don't necessarily care about some of these, but I do need the Terminal Services Profile and the Environment tabs. Does anyone know what I need to do to see these tabs in AD...

Stuck Message, Err: 0x800CCC0F, 0x8004210A, Corrupt ??
Outlook 2003 stalls for a long time then produces err 0x800CCC0F if McAfee is enabled or err 0x8004210A if McAfee is disabled. If I use web mail to remove the "BAD" message all returns to normal. Maybe I can forward this "BAD" message to someone at Microsoft who can look at the header/message content for some kind of unexpected sequence which upsets Outlook? Jim Nickerson janickerson at hotmail.com stuck message Outlook takes a long time Maybe due to corrupt headers. -- with McAfee virus scan -- Task 'spamtrap - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : &#...

Missing sheets
In my Excel 2000, when I open a workbook, only one spreadsheet appears. All the other sheets in the workbook have disappeared. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, CMA Hi any chance you have hidden these sheets (Format - sheet - unhide)? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany cmar wrote: > In my Excel 2000, when I open a workbook, only one spreadsheet > appears. All the other sheets in the workbook have disappeared. > Any suggestions would be welcome. > > Thanks, CMA Are you referring to a brand new workbo...

Checking ALL fields for missing values
I would like an Error Message to display the names of the Fields missing data entry BEFORE the a macro to open the next form is intiated. The forms are mostly point n click in option groups. I want to make sure the person entering data did not miss any fields before clicking the macro to open the next form. If they do miss a field, I want the name of the field displayed and the focus of the cursor set back to the missing item. I'm relatively new to VBA code, so if there is an easy code that anyone knows..it would be helpful Thanks. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.acce...