dotNet XSLT Transformation

I'm running into an issue that I need some help with. It seems that
the IE6 XSLT Transformations work slightly differently than when
transformation is done using XslCompiledTransform.

Lets say I have an XML document formatted as follows

<systems>
   <system>
      <administrator>John Doe</administrator>
   </system>
</systems>

And xslt as follows:

<xsl:template match="/">
   <h1>Hello World</h1>
   <xsl:apply-templates select="/systems/system">
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="/systems/system">
   <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
</xsl:template>

If I transform the document directly by calling the XSLT file from
within the XML document, I see:
<h1>Hello World</h1><b>John Doe</b>

However, if I use the XslCompiledTransform.Transform() method, I see:
<b>John Doe</b>

I guess this method is technically working correctly as it matches the
pattern of the XML document, but it's a tad frustrating as I have code
I need to drop in at the root of the document before that section gets
transformed.  Any ideas on a workaround?

Kris wrote:

> And xslt as follows:
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
>    <h1>Hello World</h1>
>    <xsl:apply-templates select="/systems/system">
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="/systems/system">
>    <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
> </xsl:template>
>
> If I transform the document directly by calling the XSLT file from
> within the XML document, I see:
> <h1>Hello World</h1><b>John Doe</b>
>
> However, if I use the XslCompiledTransform.Transform() method, I see:
> <b>John Doe</b>
>
> I guess this method is technically working correctly as it matches the
> pattern of the XML document, but it's a tad frustrating as I have code
> I need to drop in at the root of the document before that section gets
> transformed.  Any ideas on a workaround?

Does it improve things when you use

<xsl:template match="/">
    <h1>Hello World</h1>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="systems/system">
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="systems/system">
    <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
</xsl:template>

?

Putting in a root element might also be a good idea e.g. assuming you
want to create a snippet of HTML then a div container makes sense:

<xsl:output method="html"/>

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
On Nov 8, 11:57 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > And xslt as follows:
>
> > <xsl:template match="/">
> >    <h1>Hello World</h1>
> >    <xsl:apply-templates select="/systems/system">
> > </xsl:template>
>
> > <xsl:template match="/systems/system">
> >    <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
> > </xsl:template>
>
> > If I transform the document directly by calling the XSLT file from
> > within the XML document, I see:
> > <h1>Hello World</h1><b>John Doe</b>
>
> > However, if I use the XslCompiledTransform.Transform() method, I see:
> > <b>John Doe</b>
>
> > I guess this method is technically working correctly as it matches the
> > pattern of the XML document, but it's a tad frustrating as I have code
> > I need to drop in at the root of the document before that section gets
> > transformed.  Any ideas on a workaround?
>
> Does it improve things when you use
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
>     <h1>Hello World</h1>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="systems/system">
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="systems/system">
>     <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
> </xsl:template>
>
> ?
>
> Putting in a root element might also be a good idea e.g. assuming you
> want to create a snippet of HTML then a div container makes sense:
>
> <xsl:output method="html"/>
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
>     <h1>Hello World</h1>
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="systems/system">
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="systems/system">
>     <b><xsl:value-of select="administrator"></b>
> </xsl:template>
>
> --
>
>         Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Thanks for your help Martin, but I'm still seeing the same behavior.
It seems as though the XSLT Transformation isn't picking up the root
of the document. It picks up "systems/system" fine, but not "/"

Kris wrote:

> Thanks for your help Martin, but I'm still seeing the same behavior.
> It seems as though the XSLT Transformation isn't picking up the root
> of the document. It picks up "systems/system" fine, but not "/"

I can't reproduce the problem, I have tried your sample XSLT, needed to
correct it to be well-formed, now looks as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
   <xsl:template match="/">
     <h1>Hello World</h1>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="/systems/system"/>
     </xsl:template>

   <xsl:template match="/systems/system">
     <b>
       <xsl:value-of select="administrator"/>
     </b>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

XML input is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<systems>
   <system>
     <administrator>John Doe</administrator>
   </system>
</systems>

C# code is

             XslCompiledTransform xsltProcessor = new
XslCompiledTransform();
             xsltProcessor.Load(@"..\..\XSLTFile1.xslt");

xsltProcessor.Transform(XmlReader.Create(@"..\..\XMLFile2.xml"), null,
Console.Out);

Result on the console is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ibm850"?><h1>Hello World</h1><b>John Doe</b>

so both the h1 and the b element is present.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

XML
DATA------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<src applid="APPLID" projectid="67">
  <project>Application</project>
  <portfolio>MyPortfolio</portfolio>
  <contacts>
    <contact>
      <full_name>abc</full_name>
      <email>abx@company.com</email>
      <phone>888-888-8888</phone>
      <role>ROLE</role>
    </contact>
    <contact>
      <full_name>def</full_name>
      <email>def@company.com</email>
      <phone>999-999-9999</phone>
      <role>ROLE</role>
    </contact>
  </contacts>
  <reviews>
    <review>
      <reviewname>RVW</reviewname>
      <status>Entry</status>
      <isexpired>0</isexpired>
      <lastupdate>2007-06-11T11:47:23.627</lastupdate>
    </review>
  </reviews>
  <systems>
    <system>
      <hostname>a</hostname>
      <dnssuffix>company.com</dnssuffix>
      <ipaddress>127.0.0.1</ipaddress>
      <facility>Atlanta</facility>
      <environment>Production</environment>
      <role>DBA</role>
      <status>Live</status>
    </system>
    <system>
      <hostname>b</hostname>
      <dnssuffix>company.com</dnssuffix>
      <ipaddress>127.0.0.2</ipaddress>
      <facility>Syracuse</facility>
      <environment>Production</environment>
      <role>DBA</role>
      <status>Live</status>
    </system>
  </systems>
</src>

XSLT
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/
Transform">
  <xsl:template match="/">
		<script language="javascript">
			//tabBar = new TabBar()
			//	tabBar.AddTab("Clearance","tab_0",true, true);
			//	tabBar.AddTab("Personnel","tab_1",false, true);
			//tabBar.Build();
		</script>
    <h1>Hello World!</h1>
		<xsl:apply-templates select="src" />
		<xsl:apply-templates select="src/contacts" />
		<xsl:apply-templates select="src/reviews" />
		<xsl:apply-templates select="src/systems" />
	</xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="src">
select="project" /></h3></div>
select="@applid" /></td></tr>
select="portfolio" /></td></tr>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:template match="src/contacts">
div>
					<th>Name</th>
					<th>Email</th>
					<th>Phone</th>
					<th>Role</th>
			<xsl:for-each select="contact">
						<xsl:element name="A">
								<xsl:attribute name="href">mailto:<xsl:value-of
select="email" /></xsl:attribute>
								<xsl:value-of select="email" />
							</xsl:element>
			</xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:template match="src/reviews">
					<th>Name</th>
					<th>Status</th>
					<th>Expired</th>
					<th>Last Update</th>
			<xsl:for-each select="review">
			</xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:template>

	<xsl:template match="src/systems">
					<th>Host</th>
					<th>IP Address</th>
					<th>Facility</th>
					<th>Environment</th>
					<th>Role</th>
					<th>Status</th>
			<xsl:for-each select="system">
						<xsl:element name="A">
							<xsl:attribute name="href">default.aspx?dns=<xsl:value-of
select="hostname" /></xsl:attribute>
							<xsl:value-of select="hostname" />.<xsl:value-of
select="dnssuffix" />
						</xsl:element>
						<xsl:element name="A">
							<xsl:attribute name="href">default.aspx?ipstart=<xsl:value-of
select="ipaddress" /></xsl:attribute>
							<xsl:value-of select="ipaddress" />
						</xsl:element>
			</xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

CODE

Sorry, I'm stuck using VB here...

Private Function TransformData(ByVal data As XmlDocument, ByVal
stylesheet As String) As String
	Dim xslCompiledTransform As New XslCompiledTransform
	Dim xPath As XPathNavigator = data.DocumentElement.CreateNavigator()
	Dim sb As New StringBuilder
	Dim sw As New StringWriter(sb)
	Dim xmlWriter As New XmlTextWriter(sw)

	xslCompiledTransform.Load(stylesheet)
	xslCompiledTransform.Transform(xPath, Nothing, xmlWriter)
	Return sb.ToString()
End Function

OUTPUT
Outout when applying the stylesheet to the data in IE6 is fine. Output
from the TransformData function is:

Kris wrote:

> Private Function TransformData(ByVal data As XmlDocument, ByVal
> stylesheet As String) As String
> 	Dim xslCompiledTransform As New XslCompiledTransform
> 	Dim xPath As XPathNavigator = data.DocumentElement.CreateNavigator()
> 	Dim sb As New StringBuilder
> 	Dim sw As New StringWriter(sb)
> 	Dim xmlWriter As New XmlTextWriter(sw)
>
> 	xslCompiledTransform.Load(stylesheet)
> 	xslCompiledTransform.Transform(xPath, Nothing, xmlWriter)
> 	Return sb.ToString()
> End Function

The problem is that you pass
   data.DocumentElement.CreateNavigator()
to the Transform method, use
   data.CreateNavigator()
instead and the stylesheet has a root node (/) to operate on.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
On Nov 9, 10:32 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Private Function TransformData(ByVal data As XmlDocument, ByVal
> > stylesheet As String) As String
> >    Dim xslCompiledTransform As New XslCompiledTransform
> >    Dim xPath As XPathNavigator = data.DocumentElement.CreateNavigator()
> >    Dim sb As New StringBuilder
> >    Dim sw As New StringWriter(sb)
> >    Dim xmlWriter As New XmlTextWriter(sw)
>
> >    xslCompiledTransform.Load(stylesheet)
> >    xslCompiledTransform.Transform(xPath, Nothing, xmlWriter)
> >    Return sb.ToString()
> > End Function
>
> The problem is that you pass
>    data.DocumentElement.CreateNavigator()
> to the Transform method, use
>    data.CreateNavigator()
> instead and the stylesheet has a root node (/) to operate on.
>
> --
>
>         Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

That works wonderfully! Thank you so much!
It's always the silly stuff like that that gets you huh?

DotNet plug-in
Hi there, Does anyone have experience in developing add-ins for the Store Op and wanna to share their experience ? I have coded a simple add-in under VS.net and as when I go the Store Manager's Addin menu to select the addin, the system complains that no application was found. any insights will be appreciated thank you, -Chris On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:19:19 -0800, "Chris" <dont@have.one> wrote: >I have coded a simple add-in under VS.net and >as when I go the Store Manager's Addin menu >to select the addin, the system complains that >no application was f...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

XSLT 2.0 in .NET
Hello! With XSLT 2.0 in the pipeline at the W3 consortium, I'm wondering if Microsoft is planning to support it with the next release of the .NET framework? It sure looks like a promising set of technologies (especially with the added functions to the transformations like grouping). Any hints or pointers to internet ressources?! Thanks in advance (and for a great newsgroup here). -- venlig hilsen / with regards anders borum -- The only official plans that I have heard include support for XQuery (see Microsoft's XQuery language demo site at http://131.107.228.20/). Support for ...

xml and dotnet
I have a following xml, i am new to dotnet. can anyone tell me how to get the attribute date_time from the response_header node using C# XMl is as follows <response_info_main xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Response.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Response.xsd"> <response_header date_time="11/17/2004 18:33:33" number_of_accounts="3" /> <account_list> /*cust is signing up for 2 new els and 1 with a virtual number too*/ <account account_id="123123" statu...

Salon IRC pour la communaut� des utilisateurs et d�veloppeurs dotNET
Salon IRC pour la communaut� des utilisateurs et d�veloppeurs dotNET Bonjour � tous, Un nouveau salon IRC pour la communaut� des utilisateurs et d�veloppeurs dotNET a �t� cr�� et enregistr� ce jour. Pour y acc�der, utilisez un client IRC tel que mIRC ou autre, connectez vous au serveur irc.voila.fr, et rejoingnez le salon #dotNet. Serveur : irc.voila.fr Channel : #dotNet Des HELPERS sont rechercher pour participer activement � la vie de ce salon IRC, avec � la clef des droits op�rateur sur le salon pour toutes les bonnes volont�s. Bonne journ�e et esp�rant vous voir rapidement sur le salo...

dotNet XSLT Transformation
I'm running into an issue that I need some help with. It seems that the IE6 XSLT Transformations work slightly differently than when transformation is done using XslCompiledTransform. Lets say I have an XML document formatted as follows <systems> <system> <administrator>John Doe</administrator> </system> </systems> And xslt as follows: <xsl:template match="/"> <h1>Hello World</h1> <xsl:apply-templates select="/systems/system"> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="/systems/sy...

FREE .NET EBOOKS , DOTNET TUTORIALS, CODE SNIPPETS
Visit this site u will find good .Net ebooks, .Net source code, .net tutorials and lots more for vb.net, c#.net, asp.net and other dotnet stuff. URL: www.DotNetGuide.net ...

HTML Output- XSLT 2.0 vs DataBinding/DataRepeater
I wonder what the performance trade off is between using XSL vs .Net Databinding to produce HTML output. It seems they both do a similar thing and either one could be chosen to solve problems such as rendering webservice call results. Is there any information on this floating around? It would be very useful to understand this. Thanks Joe Warwick Developer Ninemsn.com.au ...

activex with dotnet code
I'm not sure I'm in the right ng but couldn't find a better one... I want to build some activex with dotnet code. Is that possible with the interoperability mechanism that is supported in win32 native and dote net code? Regards Marom On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:27:06 +0200, "Marom" <marom@rans.com> wrote: >I want to build some activex with dotnet code. Is that possible with the >interoperability mechanism that is supported in win32 native and dote net >code? I think it is possible. The key here is ClassInterface attribute (you can choose ClassInterfaceTy...

Getting an XMLWriter from an XslCompiledTransform.Transform call
Hi all, I'm having a real problem with getting an XMLWriter as a result of an xsl tranform I'm attempting. My code is: private void btnPerformTransform_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { // Load the style sheet. XslCompiledTransform xslt = new XslCompiledTransform(); XmlWriter xmlWriter = new XmlTextWriter(new StringWriter()); xslt.Load("FlightsAvail.xsl"); xslt.Transform("testXMLIn.xml", xmlWriter); Console.Out.Write(""); } This code is returning the following exception: Execution of the 'documen...

API list on dotnet.
On VB-6 there was a file that has a list of all Windows' API functions (+ types), called API viewer (something like that). It was pretty nice, indeed, including abilities to copy + paste the whole function declaration to VB. but I didn't see it at all on VB.NET. Does someone know - where can I find such a file for VB.NET (or C#, whatever ....) Thanks :) Am 28.06.2010 19:23, schrieb Mr. X.: > On VB-6 there was a file that has a list of all Windows' API functions (+ > types), > called API viewer (something like that). > > It was pretty nice,...

dotnet versus visual studio 6.0
Hello, Are there things that visual studio 6.0 (VC) got, that visual studio .NET doesn't (i.e ActiveX) ? If so, then why should visual studio .net doesn't have things that old versions have ? Is there any list for difference between old and new version (pros and cons) ? Thanks :) All you can do in VC++ 6.0 can be done in VC++.NET, and generally with less work. -- Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez [MVP] microsoft.public.es.vc FAQ http://vcfaq.europe.webmatrixhosting.net "Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez [MVP]" wrote : > All you can do in VC++ 6.0 can be done in VC++.NET, and gene...

XSLT, coming from ASP model
Hello, I am moving over from using msxml2.domdocument to system.xml and system.xml.xsl. I'd like to present this to my group today, so your help is appreciated. I want to transform an XML object (built on the fly) with an XSL document (URL to document) and have it return a string object for my function. Here's where I am: Function x as String 'this function will return transformed xml Dim oXML as New System.xml.xmldocument oXML.LoadXML("<document/>") oXSL as New System.xml.xmldocument oXSL.Load([stylesheet]) x = ??? End Function I sta...

Can we Create products through dotnet coading
Hi, i want to create a product through dotnet, is it possible to create products through dotnet, please can anyone tell wheather it is possible or not, Thanks Thangadurai Yes, it is possible. <mukathangadurai@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1189415429.700276.39660@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > i want to create a product through dotnet, is it possible to create > products through dotnet, > please can anyone tell wheather it is possible or not, > > Thanks > > Thangadurai > On Sep 10, 2:36 pm, "Jevgenij Martynenko" <jevgenij_...

Transforming a typed dataset
Hello, I need to reorder a Typed DataSet in memory using an Xsl Transform. Most of the examples use stream which write to the hard disk or xml file. I want to do this in memory and then write the resulting Typed Dataset into a Session object which will be reused on multiple postbacks and then finally saved when editing is done. Get various problems depending on what objects I use, rather than go through each one I will post what I have and see if anyone can suggest where to go from here. Xsl is simple, reordering (this is done becuase onitemupdate of datagrid I delete element then add a n...

XSLT to EMF
How do I go about converting xslt transform to an EMF document? I am able to transform into a html but not sure about EMF format. Thanks, CSharper wrote: > How do I go about converting xslt transform to an EMF document? I am > able to transform into a html but not sure about EMF format. What is EMF exactly? XSLT can transform to HTML or XML or plain text thus if EMF is some XML format for instance then it is certainly possible to write an XSLT stylesheet that creates EMF. If it is a binary file format then I don't think XSLT is the right tool to create it, unless you...

29 Books and Tutorials for DotNET, C#, VB.NET and ASP.NET
Hi here is a list of 29 Books and Tutorials for DotNET, C#, VB.NET and ASP.NET. Download fast at http://free-tech-ebooks.blogspot.com/ ...

see for dotnet visitors
C# Interview Questions and Answers8 http://allinterviewsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/c-interview-questions-and-answers8.html C# Interview Questions and Answers7 http://allinterviewsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/c-interview-questions-and-answers7.html C# Interview Questions and Answers 6 http://allinterviewsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/c-interview-questions-and-answers-6.html C# Interview Questions and Answers 5 http://allinterviewsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/c-interview-questions-and-answers-5.html C# Interview Questions and Answers 4 http://allinterviewsbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/c-interview-question...

now to set line endings with XSLT

vba vs VB dotnet
I have a new project to use MS access as backend. I would like to know what adre the difference betwwen VBA and VB dotnet as front end? what is the best choise and what I need considre to use front end bwteen 2 choices? Your information is great appreciated, Souris wrote: > I have a new project to use MS access as backend. > > I would like to know what adre the difference betwwen VBA and VB > dotnet as front end? > > > what is the best choise and what I need considre to use front end > bwteen 2 choices? Well a big difference is that you can actually create a fr...

ANN: nxslt (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) versions 1.6 and 2.0 Beta1
I'm glad to announce versions 1.6 and 2.0Beta1 of the nxslt - free feature-rich .NET XSLT command line utility. nxslt 1.6 is the next version for the .NET 1.X Frameworks. New features include optionality for source XML or stylesheet, pretty printing, ASCII only escaped output and support for "omit-xml-declaration" attribute of the exsl:document extension element. More info at http://www.xmllab.net/Products/nxslt/tabid/62/Default.aspx nxslt 2.0 Beta1 is the first beta version of the next major nxslt release. nxslt 2.0 uses new XSLT 1.0 processor in the .NET 2.0 Framework - Syste...

mfc42.dll and vs dotnet
Can I use visual studio 7.0 with mfc42.dll (instead of mfc70.dll) No. THis question comes up every few weeks. The answer is no. Not at all. Not possible. Forget it. joe On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:58:29 -0800, "mdeuerling@gsd-software.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I use visual studio 7.0 with mfc42.dll (instead of >mfc70.dll) Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm You might be able to do it if you dont use any of the new functionality and if you link w...

dotnet framework check and install
hi Is it possible to check and install some version dotnet framework in MSI project , does it has this feature or I need to write it by myself ? Can I bundle dotnet framework in my package ? Thank you . On 03-01-2010 21:07, Kid wrote: > Is it possible to check and install some version dotnet framework in MSI > project , does it has this feature or I need to write it by myself ? > > Can I bundle dotnet framework in my package ? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480239.aspx has something at the bottom. Arne Kid, If I am assuming right you are ...

Xslt question: how to transform children of a node into siblings?

New Fourm on dotnet
HI thank you all here is a new fourm on dotnet can post your queries here and get the answers as soon as possible www.dotnettunnel.com ...