Dataset Merge / getchanges just adding records?

I'm using the following subroutine. The two different XML files are
identical with the exception of three additional records in the second
one. One has 450 records, and the other has 453. After merging, I get
903 records. I guess what I expected was 3 records; just the
differences in the two.
The two tables have the exact same structure, etc....

So am I misinterpreting how to do this? It seems to me that the merge
should produce only three new records!

 Private Sub btnStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnStart.Click
        Dim dsOld As DataSet = New DataSet
        Dim dsCurr As DataSet = New DataSet
        Dim dsTemp As DataSet = New DataSet
        Dim dsChanges As DataSet = New DataSet
        dsTemp.DataSetName = "SERVERINFO"
        dsChanges.DataSetName = "SERVERINFO"

        dsOld.ReadXml("c:\dsOld.xml", XmlReadMode.ReadSchema)

        dsCurr.ReadXml("c:\dsCurr.xml", XmlReadMode.ReadSchema)

        dsTemp.Merge(dsOld)
        dsTemp.AcceptChanges()
        dsTemp.Merge(dsCurr)

        dsTemp.WriteXml("c:\dsTemp.xml", XmlWriteMode.DiffGram)

        dsChanges = dsTemp.GetChanges()

        dsChanges.WriteXml("c:\dsChanges.xml", XmlWriteMode.DiffGram)

        Debugger.Break()
    End Sub

The merge function is used to merge in new changes.
Check out http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/06t089d7.aspx
Maybe you can try changing the DataRowState of the 2nd dataset before
merging.
Hope this helps.

eliminate records with checkmark in column
This may be easy, I don't know, I'm a beginner in Access. I have a list of inventory, some of which is inactive. These have a checkmark in a yes/no column. I want to create a report of only the active items. What kind of query [I think] would I have to create to do this? On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:35:01 -0800, Iris Shapiro wrote: > This may be easy, I don't know, I'm a beginner in Access. I have a list of > inventory, some of which is inactive. These have a checkmark in a yes/no > column. I want to create a report of only the active items. What kind of >...

Catching record before it saves?
I've got a small 3-user database. The GUI is Access 2K and the data is in an MS SQL 2005 back-end. Today I noticed some NULL records being created in the database by the same user. In talking to the user I found out that she would go to a new record and then use the built-in Access "Find" (binoculars button on the toolbar) to look for records. So I know that what is happening is that she's creating the new record and then the Find operation is moving off of that record thereby saving it. My question is how to still let them have the built-in Find utility but keep them fr...

mail merge labels duplicating
I need some help. I am using word 2008 and excel data to create a label mail merge. I create the labels. On label page 1, the labels sequence correctly (Jane, Steve, Susan, Mike, Laura, Joe, etc.), but on label page 2 the labels sequence Steve, Susan, Mike, Laura, Joe, etc. On label page 3 the labels sequence Susan, Mike, Laura, Joe, etc. Each page label 1 starts with the next record and cycles through the data. As a result to get the correct label pages I would have to print pages 1, 31, and 61 rather than pages 1-3 with all of the labels appearing just one time. There is no <nex...

Auto merging Excel attachments
Hi I'm not even sure this is entirely an Excel question but anyway...every day I get emailed an Excel attachment of new data that I'm then to add to a master worksheet of all the previous emailed data. Up until now I have been opening the attachment, copying the contents and pasting into the master worksheet. Is there any way I can auto extract the contents of the attachment and consolidate into one spreadsheet, so it becomes an automated update of the master spreadsheet? Kind of like parsing an email's text into a spreadsheet, but extracting the contents of the attachment, rat...

SSRS Linking Dataset
I have converted some reports in Access to SQL 2008 Reporting Services. However, some of the reports have subreports in them and they look fine in design but when I try to run the report previewing it from VS 2008 I get the main report but not the subreport. Apparently, the subreport is not tied to a Dataset even though the dataset shows up in the Report Data section on left side of VStudio. I cannot find anywhere in proerties to attach a dataset to the subreport. Also, how do I "link" the subreport to the main report to get only the correct records in the subrepo...

How to RANDOMLY split a whole dataset into two sub-dataset? #3
Hi, At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my question? How to RANDOMLY split a whole dataset (n=2000) into two sub dataset (n=1000, n=1000) in SPSS or Excel? Thank you very much. Please take care Caroline You have two answers in your other posting. Pete On Jul 17, 6:33 am, zencaroline <zencarol...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > At your possible convenience, might anyone please kindly answer my > question? > > How to RANDOMLY split a whole dataset (n=2000) into two sub > dataset (n=1000, n=1000) in SPSS o...

Mail merge more than 240 columns
have an excel sheet i am using for a mail merge. unfortunatly i have run out of columns....what is a solution. i am using al 240 columns in the documnet. You can extend the number of columns in Ex2007, but how have you set up the merge? Normally, the list includes, Title, FirstName, LastName, [Company], Address1, Address2, Town, County, PostCode, [Country]. Where the column headings in square brackets are optional. The document is produced in say, Word and linked to the Excel file for merging. If you want different paragraphs for say different groups (see your other post), then you c...

Automagically create database schema from XML dataset
Hello. I am trying to create a database from an XML file. I am able to create a dataset from the XML doc, but how can I create a database schema from the dataset and populate the database? Or is this even possible using VS.NET 2003? Part of the XML file follows. Thanks for any help. Steven VS.NET 2003 and C# newbie! ----- Part of the XML (one full record across several tables) -------- <!DOCTYPE PubmedArticleSet...> - <PubmedArticleSet> - <PubmedArticle> - <MedlineCitation Owner="NLM" Status="Completed"><PMID>11604973</PMID> - &l...

Create a button to edit and save new record
Hi there I would like to create a button for a form that would allow me to edit a record, make changes, and save it as a new record. I don't want to save a record and have it overwrite earlier information. How will I create this button? Thank you in advance The best way would be to copy the existing record into a new record and then edit the copy. I wonder why you need to do this. It indicates to me that you ***might*** have design problems in your table structure if you need to duplicate most (or many) of the fields in one record in the next record. Here is an ...

SOP_Document_TEMP has an incorrect record Length error
In Great Plains 8.0 Our Sales Transaction Entry, Print Invoice option throws an error occasionaly that I haven't been able to track down. The error is: 'An open operation on table 'SOP_Document_TEMP' has an incorrect record length'. If they repeate the invoice print option it works fine after 2 or 3 trys. My Sales Transaction Entry form and the Invoice are modified. I'm not able to repeate the error so it's difficult to track down. Any suggestions? Thanks Kevin R. Kevin The SOP_Document_TEMP table is a ctree temporary table which is created in the l...

Merged Cells
I want to create a spreadsheet where the first two columns (A & B) are merged in every row EXCEPT the first row. I want the two columns separate in the first row. The best I came up with was to merge the columns in rows 2 - 999 (with the help of a macro). But I have two complaints about this method. My first complaint is that Excel "thinks" that my spreadsheet has 1,000 rows, although I only have data in about 160 rows right now. My second complaint is that if I insert a row, the cells on the new row are not merged. It is almost as though I really want to split the "A&...

AD User No SMTP Address
When I create a new AD user and tell it to create an Exchange emailbox, or choose an existing AD user and tell it to create an Exchange mailbox it appears to work but no smtp address is ever created for the AD user. All of the Exchange tabs are created but the smtp address is ever populated. I have also tried to login as one of these users and have no success. Anybody seen this before? Is there a service that may not be running? In news:1168959013.875416.177180@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, cghoerichs@yahoo.com <cghoerichs@yahoo.com> typed: > When I create a new AD user and tell ...

Adding a project reference in VC++ 6
How does one add a reference to a Windows DLL project from a Windows Console Application? If you are talking about unmanaged code, there is nothing like a reference to a DLL. You will include the include files in your source and link against the library provided by DLL. There is another option of using a DLL functions at run time (no linking) but I am certain you are not talking about that. There is another option of using a COM server in your project. There you can import the type library in your project. Is that what you want? Is your project unmanaged by any chance? --------- Ajay K...

Creating typed dataset from an industry standard schema
Has anyone run into problems creating typed datasets from complex schemas? I am attempting to create a Typed Dataset in Visual Studio .Net from a .xsd schema file for a industry standard web service. I have run the schema through XML Spy and validated it with no errors, but when attempting to generate a dataset, I keeping getting a 'undefined data type' error. The schema is quite large so I don't know if that is causing the problem or if it is just something odd about .Net's parser. Here is the section of the schema causing the problem. There are only two spots where the...

Can't see why error occurs when adding records?
Hi, The code below generates an "Unexpected error from external database driver (10019)." for the line TSet.m_S12=qsa[11]-qs[11]; I am using Clipper database files (dbf) through ODBC. The values are integers just like in the other 3 lines. If I add qsa[11]+qs[11] there is no problem. The error happens only when I subtract and only for a few of the records from which qs[11] is assigned. These records are also no different from the other records in that dbf. qsa[11] and qs[11] are both okay integers by themselves, nothing unusual about them. I just cannot see why the error oc...

printing merged booklets
Have a 16 page booklet that I want to add mailing details to front cover. Merge to document sucessfuly but cannot seem to get it just to ptint 16 page booklets it triues to treat the whole merged file as one document. In word I can specifiy the no of pages to make up the booklet. Would welcome help. ...

adding a trailing zero
I have a column that contains 4 digit numbers 0001 0011 1111 etc. what I need is a function that will add a zero to this number if the first digit is a zero and leave the rest alone exp. if the first number in A1 is = to "0" (0001) the add a zero so the number is now (00001), if the first number is not a zero (1111) do nothing thank you for any help! Your message subject says trailing zeroes. Your example shows a leading zero. I'm not sure which you want. Are your entries numbers or text? Did you achieve the leading zeroes by formatting? If so, they are numbers, and you ca...

Need help designing XML Dataset
Hello I developed and tested a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1. It uses a web form. I tried doing this without any help, but i'm getting nowhere. I want to create an XML schema (XSD) for a dataset/datatable using the XML designer. I want to be able to have a table for each trip. The trip will contain a trip no, date etc. But i also want it to have a State element like "PA, NJ, MD" for each state with miles traveled for each state. I don't want to enter 50 elements name MilesPA, MilesNJ, MilesMD etc. Is t...

GetXml from DataSet
Hello, I transfer data from a dataset to an XML-document by using the GetXml-method in VB.NET. I noticed, that for datafields, which are empty (have no content) in the dataset, no elements are created in the XML-document. How can I force to generate elements (with no content) for this kind of datafields ? Thanks em Check out http://www.topxml.com/sqlxml/default.asp It has some excellent information on this. Regards Keith Chadwick "em" <nix@nix.nix> wrote in message news:018f01c3ba37$e4b0b760$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > I transfer data from a dataset to an XML...

xml and dataset
I want to take a dataset and save the data as an xml document. I know how to do this, but I need the xml to be formatted in a certain way. What are my options? I have thought about using a stylesheet to format from xml to xml. I can create an xsd, but that does not seem to save the dataset the way I need it. It just adds the schema to the top, but does not put the xml in a hierarchical format. TypedDataSet.WriteXml("C:\Test.xml", XmlWriteMode.WriteSchema) Hi Ken, You can do it using the XMLdoc. Because I do not know what you are reformating it is difficult to say more. Cor...

Adding a group header in Access 2002
Several months ago, John Spencer provided the following information on this topic: "You can add another section that will print once by adding a group header to your report and adding one page of the formatted text to the group header. Set the value for the group header to =1 and don't repeat the header on subsequent pages." I have successfully added a group header using the Sorting and Grouping dialogue box, but I cannot see where to set the value for the group header or how to keep it from repeating on subsequent pages. Can John or anyone else provided that...

experts: structure of dataset xml
hello, i have a problem, i wonder if anyone can help... i am retrieving records from an access table using a dataset and want the data to be returned in xml, so i am using the dataset.GetXml() method. lets say, for example, that the xml is in the following format: <Users> <User> <UserId>1</UserId> <Username>robert</Username> <Password>friend</Password> </User> <User> <UserId>2</UserId> <Username>natasha</Username> <Password>sunny</Password...

Adding hours and minutes in formulas
I can't set the cell value to H:MM without it being a time stamp (ex: am/pm). Hence they will not add properly when summed. It turns to time no matter what I select. Even tried custom options. This is something that I've wrestled with for years! Please help ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** go here and look for his discussion on dates and times. http://www.cpearson.com -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Trish" <trishathome_76...

Recording my macro #2
Gord & Julie... Sorry for not responding sooner but I had some difficulty logging in. Just wanted to say thanx for your ideas. I'm heading out tomorrow t pick up Excel VBA for Dummies....it'll probably suit *me* just fine :confused -- shboo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shboom's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1474 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26671 ...

How do I read an XmlDocument object into a dataset???
I need to read an in-memory instance of a loaded XmlDocument into a referenced DataSet. What's the best way to do this? I've tried "myDataSet.ReadXml(myXmlDocument)" but it won't compile. I get a compile error because the XmlDocument type isn't accepted by the ReadXml() method. I need to figure this out! Thanks, ~A~ Blah - nevermind. I don't need the xmldocument - I just feed the xml stream straight into the dataset. Thanks, ~A~ "Kewlpack" wrote: > I need to read an in-memory instance of a loaded XmlDocument into a > referenced DataSet....