Convert string into XML format

Hi !
I have a big problem, i'm using XMLdocument to add elements to a XML file.
Elements are like this:

<name>Paolo</name>
<description>In italian "is" is = � !</description>

the problem is that i want to encode text in name,comment and description.

I have tryed to use InnerText property, but it doesn'work for encoding (like
was written on a msdn example...................)

Any idea ?

Alessandro wrote:

> I have a big problem, i'm using XMLdocument to add elements to a XML file.
> Elements are like this:
>
> <name>Paolo</name>
> <description>In italian "is" is = � !</description>
>
> the problem is that i want to encode text in name,comment and description.
Could you please elaborate what does that mean and what is your problem
actually?
--
Oleg Tkachenko
XML Insider

0
Oleg
11/17/2003 12:45:23 PM
Ok.. my problem is that i have string with that chars: �����><'", i

Dim oXMLchild As XmlElement
oXMLchild = oXml.CreateElement("name")
oXMLchild.InnerText = "Paul"
 oXMLappointment.AppendChild(oXMLchild)
oXMLchild = oXml.CreateElement("comment")
oXMLchild.InnerText = "this is <a comment>"
oXMLappointment.AppendChild(oXMLchild)
oXMLchild = oXml.CreateElement("description")
oXMLchild.InnerText = "In italian "is" is = � !"
oXMLappointment.AppendChild(oXMLchild)
oXMLappointment.save("appointments.xml")

if i try to open the XML document i have an error : char invalid at line

so i want to save xmlfile with strings corectly encoded (for example <
become &lt; > become &gt;)

Alessandro wrote:

> oXMLchild.InnerText = "In italian "is" is = � !"

I have no idea how you managed to compile this line! You have to escape
" character withing string literal:
oXMLchild.InnerText = "In italian ""is"" is = � !"
Having fixed this your code works fine for me provided that I've saved
vb source file in Unicode.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
XML Insider

0
Oleg
11/17/2003 1:25:33 PM
Ok... the " was only an error for te newsgroup code....
I make a mistake on other code...... but now works ! Your solition to my
no-problem helped me to find the solution to the real one !
thanks.

> Alessandro wrote:
>
> > oXMLchild.InnerText = "In italian "is" is = � !"
>
> I have no idea how you managed to compile this line! You have to escape
> " character withing string literal:
> oXMLchild.InnerText = "In italian ""is"" is = � !"
> Having fixed this your code works fine for me provided that I've saved
> vb source file in Unicode.
> --
> Oleg Tkachenko
> XML Insider
> http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

Beware that encoded xml is Considered Harmful
(http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/20/embedded.html). Maybe you should
properly use mixed content model for that purpose. For example:

I can't see the utility of an <a comment> tag, which is invalid XML anyways.
So even if you want it encoded to escape XML validity for the enclosing
document, I have trouble understanding how are you going to use that
afterwards, when you come to process the <comment> contents.
Anyways, if you MUST encode it, one way of doing it is using an
XmlTextWriter to get the encoded string:

System.Text.StringBuilder sb = new System.Text.StringBuilder();
System.Xml.XmlTextWriter tw = new System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(new
System.IO.StringWriter(sb));
tw.WriteString("this is <a comment>");
tw.Flush();
Console.WriteLine(sb.ToString());

The stringbuilder would contain the encoded string you need to pass to the
InnerText property.

"Alessandro" <gemini_two@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
> I have a big problem, i'm using XMLdocument to add elements to a XML file.
> Elements are like this:
>
> <name>Paolo</name>
> <description>In italian "is" is = � !</description>
>
> the problem is that i want to encode text in name,comment and description.
>
> I have tryed to use InnerText property, but it doesn'work for encoding
(like
> was written on a msdn example...................)
>
> Any idea ?

Format cells #7

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

CHm file format
Hello, I have seen your's reference on code project. I am new to CHM format and i need to create a CHM viewer. I have some queries regarding the same a) what is binary TOC and binary index ( I have been able to parse the HHc and HHk fie). How i should parse the same b) What are merged files. How i can read them c) How how CHI, CHw and CHQ files can be created. How reading of these files will be different form the reading CHM file. Please help me out by answering my queries. Thanks, Ritu ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Cell Formats (like StyleSheets)

Built in excel 2007 formats via VBA
Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 2007 built in presets via vba, as the macro won't capture them? Thanks and regards, Mark To figure this out for yourself, see Case Study – Embedded and Linked Objects http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-embedded%20or%20linked%20objects.htm -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu "mark Stephens" wrote: > Does anyone know how to format a line using excel 20...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Creating and managing xml files
I just wanted a mass opinion on the subject. Here is what I will be doing: I need to create modules for a service that manages and stores data. Some of it is just text and some of it is binary that will be encoded with base64 and then compressed to save disk space since the chuncks could be quite large. For both methods (the ascii only as well as the base64 encoded versions, the xml files will be secured with some form of crypto service provided by .net 4. They will then be stored in the websites app_data folder for extra security. I would use sql server to store the data, but t...

How to allcate an array of strings dynamically
Hi I am doing a project which is using ATL,COM and WTL(not using MFC).here I need to take an array of _bstr_t values.But I don't know the array size.it will be varying.I can not keep a specific size on this array.I don't know how to allocate an array dynamically.will anybody plz help me with sample code for how to do this.It will be a great help for me.I know this is a MFC group and I am not using MFC,I have already posted in in ATL group twice,but no answer.So I am frustrated now.Plz help me if u can.Thanks in advance Hi Rindam, I think it would be easier for you to store pointe...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal

serialize an excel file to xml
Hi, Has anyone worked on serializing an excel file to xml so that it can be submitted to econnect? I am having trouble creating this application and if anyone has worked on it, can you help me? thank you Stacey (staceyleelee@hotmail.com) I am putting the finishing touches on VB.NET code that serializes an Excel file to xml then sends the xml to GP (Misc Log Data). I can send you a code snippet if you need still it. "Stacey" wrote: > Hi, > Has anyone worked on serializing an excel file to xml so that it can be > submitted to econnect? I am having trouble creating th...

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

format of number keeps changing
I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers, the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both columns is the same. Any ideas????? Is the number more like 1234567890123456 and it becomes 1234567890123450 ?? If so, you're ...

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...