can't create schema for qualified attributes in element with default namespace

Hi,

I have a xml file like the one below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><e1
xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"
e1:rest="345"/>

If I try to create a schema for it with Visual Studio, I get the error
"Failed to create a schema for this data file because:
Although this XML file is well formed, it contains structure that Data View
cannot display.

The 'http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd:att1' atrribute is not declared. An
error occurred at , (7,8)"

However if I qualify the e1 element with e1 prefix it is happy.
I thought attributes namespace was independant of the element namespace.

I don't understand why I am getting this error.
Source1.xsd looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<xs:schema id="NewDataSet" targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
xmlns:mstns=http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
<xs:element name="e1">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:attribute name="att1" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
<xs:attribute name="att2" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
<xs:attribute name="rest" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="NewDataSet" msdata:IsDataSet="true" msdata:Locale="en-GB"
msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:element ref="e1" />
</xs:choice>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

0
Martin

Hi Martin,

Can you be a bit more specific.  What version of VS are you using and how
are you creating a schema for your XML file?  Also it looks like you already
have a schema, so I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies

"Martin" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a xml file like the one below
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><e1
> xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"
> e1:rest="345"/>
>
> If I try to create a schema for it with Visual Studio, I get the error
> "Failed to create a schema for this data file because:
> Although this XML file is well formed, it contains structure that Data
> View cannot display.
>
> The 'http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd:att1' atrribute is not declared. An
> error occurred at , (7,8)"
>
> However if I qualify the e1 element with e1 prefix it is happy.
> I thought attributes namespace was independant of the element namespace.
>
> I don't understand why I am getting this error.
> Source1.xsd looks like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> <xs:schema id="NewDataSet"
> targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
> xmlns:mstns=http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd
> xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
> xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
> attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
> <xs:element name="e1">
> <xs:complexType>
> <xs:attribute name="att1" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="att2" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
> <xs:attribute name="rest" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
> </xs:complexType>
> </xs:element>
> <xs:element name="NewDataSet" msdata:IsDataSet="true"
> msdata:Locale="en-GB" msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">
> <xs:complexType>
> <xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
> <xs:element ref="e1" />
> </xs:choice>
> </xs:complexType>
> </xs:element>
> </xs:schema>
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Martin

0
skits (68)
1/20/2005 11:17:01 PM
I'm using VS.Net 2003 enterprise edition.

I'm trying to regnerate the xsd I already have because I changed the xml
file on which the schema was based.

The original schema was based on unqualified attributes.  I have since made
the attributes qualified.

I *think* I want to end up with a schema for this xml file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<e3:e1 xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"
e1:rest="345"/>

where the attributes are in a different name space to the element (NB
element prefix is now e3), but on creating the schema for this doc, I am
simply told e3 is an undeclared namespace.

Ultimately I have 2 different xml files, shown below without name spaces:
source xml
<e1 att1="1" att2="2" rest="abc"/>

destination xml transformed from source
<e2 att1="1" att2="2" att3="a" att4="b" att5="c"/>

My xslt file looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl=http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
xmlns:MyAttrs="urn:MyAttrs"
xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd">
<xsl:template match="e1:e1">
<e2>
<xsl:attribute name="e1:att1"><xsl:value-of select="@att1"/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="e1:att2"><xsl:value-of select="@att2"/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:for-each select="MyAttrs:getAttrs(@rest)">
<xsl:attribute name="{name()}"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:attribute>
</xsl:for-each>
</e2>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I have used an xslt extension object to produce the attributes 3,4,5, and
the resulting xml file includes the namespace of the xslt extension object.

I want to use namespaces correctly, and thought the element namespace was
distinct from the attribute namespace.

Can you help me further?
Thanks
Martin

"Stan Kitsis [MSFT]" <skits@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Martin,
>
> Can you be a bit more specific.  What version of VS are you using and how
> are you creating a schema for your XML file?  Also it looks like you
> already have a schema, so I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.
>
> --
> Stan Kitsis
> Program Manager, XML Technologies
> Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
>

> "Martin" <x@y.z> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a xml file like the one below
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><e1
>> xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"
>> e1:rest="345"/>
>>
>> If I try to create a schema for it with Visual Studio, I get the error
>> "Failed to create a schema for this data file because:
>> Although this XML file is well formed, it contains structure that Data
>> View cannot display.
>>
>> The 'http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd:att1' atrribute is not declared. An
>> error occurred at , (7,8)"
>>
>> However if I qualify the e1 element with e1 prefix it is happy.
>> I thought attributes namespace was independant of the element namespace.
>>
>> I don't understand why I am getting this error.
>> Source1.xsd looks like this:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>> <xs:schema id="NewDataSet"
>> targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>> xmlns:mstns=http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd
>> xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>> xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>> xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
>> attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
>> <xs:element name="e1">
>> <xs:complexType>
>> <xs:attribute name="att1" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>> <xs:attribute name="att2" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>> <xs:attribute name="rest" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>> </xs:complexType>
>> </xs:element>
>> <xs:element name="NewDataSet" msdata:IsDataSet="true"
>> msdata:Locale="en-GB" msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">
>> <xs:complexType>
>> <xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
>> <xs:element ref="e1" />
>> </xs:choice>
>> </xs:complexType>
>> </xs:element>
>> </xs:schema>
>>
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Martin

0
Martin
1/21/2005 8:21:23 AM
Hi Martin,

First, in your XML file you are using namespace prefix e3 without defining
it.  You need to fix that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<e3:e1 xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"

       xmlns:e3="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"

       e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"

       e1:rest="345"/>

When generating a schema for this xml, you'll end up with two files (one for
each namespace):

<!-- e1 -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xs:schema xmlns:tns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"

           attributeFormDefault="unqualified"

           elementFormDefault="qualified"

           targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"

  <xs:attribute name="att1" type="xs:integer" />

  <xs:attribute name="att2" type="xs:integer" />

  <xs:attribute name="rest" type="xs:integer" />

</xs:schema>

<!-- e3 -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xs:schema xmlns:e3="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"
xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
elementFormDefault="qualified"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"

  <xs:import namespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" />

  <xs:element name="e1">

    <xs:complexType>

      <xs:attribute ref="e1:att1" use="required" />

      <xs:attribute ref="e1:att2" use="required" />

      <xs:attribute ref="e1:rest" use="required" />

    </xs:complexType>

  </xs:element>

</xs:schema>

--

"Martin" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> Source1.xsd looks like this:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>>> <xs:schema id="NewDataSet"
>>> targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>> xmlns:mstns=http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd
>>> xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>> xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>>> xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
>>> attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
>>> <xs:element name="e1">
>>> <xs:complexType>
>>> <xs:attribute name="att1" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>>> <xs:attribute name="att2" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>>> <xs:attribute name="rest" form="qualified" type="xs:string" />
>>> </xs:complexType>
>>> </xs:element>
>>> <xs:element name="NewDataSet" msdata:IsDataSet="true"
>>> msdata:Locale="en-GB" msdata:EnforceConstraints="False">

0
skits (68)
1/24/2005 7:44:20 PM
Hi Stan,

I was hoping the schema for namespace e3 could be generated for me by
VS.Net.

Are you saying if I provide the xmlns uri it will then generate the xsd for
me?

Am I flogging a dead horse. Do I have to geneate the xsds manually?
Thanks again

> [...]
>> </xsl:for-each>
>> </e2>
>> </xsl:template>
>> </xsl:stylesheet>
>>

>> I have used an xslt extension object to produce the attributes 3,4,5, and
>> the resulting xml file includes the namespace of the xslt extension
>> object.
>>
>> I want to use namespaces correctly, and thought the element namespace was
>> distinct from the attribute namespace.
>>
>> Can you help me further?
>> Thanks
>> Martin
>>
>> "Stan Kitsis [MSFT]" <skits@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> Can you be a bit more specific.  What version of VS are you using and
>>> how are you creating a schema for your XML file?  Also it looks like you
>>> already have a schema, so I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

0
Martin
1/25/2005 11:00:03 PM
Martin,

I don't think you can have the files generated in VS2003.  However,
VS2005 (in beta now) will generate both files for you.

Stan

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:00:03 -0000, "Martin" <x@y.z> wrote:

> [...]
>>> xmlns:MyAttrs="urn:MyAttrs"
>>> xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd">
>>> <xsl:template match="e1:e1">
>>> <e2>
>>> <xsl:attribute name="e1:att1"><xsl:value-of
>>> select="@att1"/></xsl:attribute>
>>> <xsl:attribute name="e1:att2"><xsl:value-of
>>> select="@att2"/></xsl:attribute>
>>> <xsl:for-each select="MyAttrs:getAttrs(@rest)">
>>> <xsl:attribute name="{name()}"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:attribute>
>>> </xsl:for-each>
>>> </e2>
>>> </xsl:template>
>>> </xsl:stylesheet>
>>>

>>> I have used an xslt extension object to produce the attributes 3,4,5, and
>>> the resulting xml file includes the namespace of the xslt extension
>>> object.
>>>
>>> I want to use namespaces correctly, and thought the element namespace was

0
skitsis (1)
1/27/2005 7:06:14 AM
VS.Net 2003 can generate xsds when no namespaces are used in the sample xml,
but I guess I'll have to do namespaced xsd myself.

Thanks for the answers
Martin

"Stan Kitsis" <skitsis@umich.edu> wrote in message
> Martin,
>
> I don't think you can have the files generated in VS2003.  However,
> VS2005 (in beta now) will generate both files for you.
>
> Stan
>
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:00:03 -0000, "Martin" <x@y.z> wrote:
>
>>Hi Stan,
>>
>>I was hoping the schema for namespace e3 could be generated for me by
>>VS.Net.
>>
>>Are you saying if I provide the xmlns uri it will then generate the xsd
>>for
>>me?
>>
>>Am I flogging a dead horse. Do I have to geneate the xsds manually?
>>Thanks again
>>Martin
>>
>>"Stan Kitsis [MSFT]" <skits@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> First, in your XML file you are using namespace prefix e3 without
>>> defining
>>> it.  You need to fix that:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>>>
>>> <e3:e1 xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>>
>>>       xmlns:e3="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"
>>>
>>>       e1:att1="1" e1:att2="2"
>>>
>>>       e1:rest="345"/>
>>>

>>> When generating a schema for this xml, you'll end up with two files (one
>>> for each namespace):
>>>
>>> <!-- e1 -->
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>>>
>>> <xs:schema xmlns:tns="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>>
>>>           attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
>>>
>>>           elementFormDefault="qualified"
>>>
>>>           targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>>
>>>           xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
>>>
>>>  <xs:attribute name="att1" type="xs:integer" />
>>>
>>>  <xs:attribute name="att2" type="xs:integer" />
>>>
>>>  <xs:attribute name="rest" type="xs:integer" />
>>>
>>> </xs:schema>
>>>

>>> <!-- e3 -->
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>>>
>>> <xs:schema xmlns:e3="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"
>>> xmlns:e1="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd"
>>> attributeFormDefault="unqualified" elementFormDefault="qualified"
>>> targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Source3.xsd"
>>> xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
>>>
>>>  <xs:import namespace="http://tempuri.org/Source1.xsd" />
>>>
>>>  <xs:element name="e1">
>>>
>>>    <xs:complexType>
>>>
>>>      <xs:attribute ref="e1:att1" use="required" />
>>>
>>>      <xs:attribute ref="e1:att2" use="required" />
>>>
>>>      <xs:attribute ref="e1:rest" use="required" />
>>>
>>>    </xs:complexType>
>>>
>>>  </xs:element>
>>>
>>> </xs:schema>
>>>

>>> --
>>> Stan Kitsis
>>> Program Manager, XML Technologies
>>> Microsoft Corporation

>>> rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
>>> specified
>>> at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
>>>

>>> "Martin" <x@y.z> wrote in message

0
Martin

create a roster

Default Price Lists
Hi Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Many Thanks I need to do the same thing. It's driving me nuts trying to get around it! If anyone can help, that'd be great. Mark Braithwaite wrote: > Hi > > Does ayone have advise on what the best practice is with regards to creating > a default price list in a situation where all pricing will be user provided? > > I would greatly appreciate any suggesti...

Item not selected by default when changing folders
It used to be that I would change folders and the first item (contact, e-mail, whatever) would be selected/highlighted. I must have changed something though because now when I change folders, no item is selected. This is a real pain when I try to do a quick lookup of a contact (where you just type the first few characters), because I have to use my mouse to first highlight one of the contacts, and then start typing. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

xml schema, order unimportant

Task Create - Status

Change default in Advanced filter
Hi! How can I change default setting in Advanced filter from "Filter the list, in-place." to "Copy to another location." Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot! George George You can't...sorry -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "George Lin" <georgel@mar-bal.com> wrote in message news:02b301c391b0$2786c080$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi! > How can I change default setting in Advanced filter > from "Filter the list, in-place." to "Copy to another > location." Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot! > G...

Can I make my Contacts Folder my Default
Does anyone know if I can make my contact folder the default folder rather than the Global Address List? On 3/8/2010 7:36 PM, Wendy wrote: > Does anyone know if I can make my contact folder the default folder rather > than the Global Address List? Sure. Ctrl-Shift-B (or just click the Address Book icon) Tools -> Options -- Leonid S. Knyshov Crashproof Solutions 510-282-1008 Twitter: @wiseleo http://crashproofsolutions.com Microsoft Small Business Specialist Please vote "helpful" if I helped you :) ...

Create external database

default namespace / Xmlvalidatingreader
need some help on following: xml file 1 <TEST xmlns=3D"http://test" > <OK>mlkddflmkj</OK> </TEST> xml file 2 <TEST> <OK>mlkddflmkj</OK> </TEST> at runtime i add the necessary xsd schema's. now, these are files i receive from customer, so i can't change them. When i read in the xml file 1 , it works like, it is validates against the xsd's, and everything works fine. when i read the second one, it doesn't validate, if i make sure the xml file isn't valid, the xmlvalidatingreader doesn't notice i...

How to create pie chart with %

Outlook Word Editor Curser Default
While typing an email in Outlook 2003 using MS Word editor, the curser goes to another location if you hesitate while composing the email. This drives a person crazy because you can't take your eyes off the screen for a moment. There is an option setting to set the curser off the default setting meaning the curser goes the message box automatically. This fixed it a over year ago, but when I downloaded updates the setting regressed back and I forgot how to correct this problem. HELP!! ...

Changing the default sort order of Inbox
I would like to change the startup sorting order of my inbox in Outlook. For example, I would like to have the most recent emails on the top of my list (Received column) when the progam first starts. Just pressing the column header to change the order, moving the selection to the top of the list, then closing Outlook does not achieve this. It does not remember my last sort and the sort order reverts to new emails on the BOTTOM of the list. I would like the reverse of this. Any ideas? "alanporter" <alanporter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...