Can't access a System object in xaml

Hi,

I have this xaml code that I'm trying to use in a Window...

<ListBox xmlns:sys="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib" Grid.Column="2"
Grid.RowSpan="2">
      <Button>Click for a surprise</Button>
      <Expander>
        Details
        <StackPanel>
          <sys:DateTime>1/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
          <sys:DateTime>2/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
          <sys:DateTime>3/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
        </StackPanel>
      </Expander>
    </ListBox>

The problem is with the <sys:DateTime> elements.  I get a compiler warning
on these saying that StackPanel has "invalid" child elements.  The code will
not run.

If I put the <sys:DateTime> elements directly under the listbox (eliminating
the button and the expander), I get the same warning, but the code will run
and show the date correctly.

I'm using VS2005 with .Net 3.0 installed.

Why isn't <sys:DateTime> recognized?  What am I doing wrong here?

BBM
0
bbm1 (3)

Hi BBM,

The StackPanel can only use UIElement as child elements. You can use a
ListBox instead:

                <StackPanel>
                    <ListBox>
                        <sys:DateTime>1/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
                        <sys:DateTime>2/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
                        <sys:DateTime>3/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
                    </ListBox>
                </StackPanel>

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

wawang (13)
11/16/2007 3:09:11 AM
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your response.  What you suggested works, but I still get an
"invalid child" compiler warning on the DateTime element when it is the child
of a ListBox.  Clearly it (DateTime) has a 'To String' representation so I
don't see why it would be considered "invalid".

Also, is there some place I can go (other than to the individual class
documentation) that shows what classes can be children of other classes?

Thanks.

""Walter Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi BBM,
>
> The StackPanel can only use UIElement as child elements. You can use a
> ListBox instead:
>
>                 <StackPanel>
>                     <ListBox>
>                         <sys:DateTime>1/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
>                         <sys:DateTime>2/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
>                         <sys:DateTime>3/1/2007</sys:DateTime>
>                     </ListBox>
>                 </StackPanel>
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> Regards,
> Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

bbm1 (3)
11/16/2007 3:59:02 PM
Hi BBM,

I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

wawang (13)
11/21/2007 2:56:18 AM
Hi Walter,

I got my code to work using your suggestions, but
could you answer my last questions?

1)  Is it normal to get compiler warnings on the direct use of .Net classes
(like DateTime) from xaml?   If so, why?

2)  Is there a (concise) place where I can learn what items can be
"children" of other items in WPF?

Thanks.
""Walter Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi BBM,
>
> I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
> know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

bbm1 (3)
11/21/2007 4:03:01 AM
Hi BBM,

1) I'm using VS2008 RTM and I don't see warnings when using CLR types in
xaml.

2) Please refer to following MSDN document:

#Content Models

The ListBox is using ItemsControl Content Model while the StackPanel is
using Panel Content Model; different content models can use different
content.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

wawang (13)
11/21/2007 9:51:28 AM
Hi BBM,

I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.

Regards,
Walter Wang (wawang@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

wawang (13)

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

The system file cannot be specified
I don't know if this is the right group but I hope someone can help. I have XP Home with Service Pack 3. I have a file on my NTFS slave drive with following entry in one of its directories: 01 - O 'twas a joyful sound to hear (Colchester) _Tansus/mq3 Obviously there's an invalid character in the name but I can't delete it. Every time I do, it says: "The system file cannot be specified." It has a file length of 0 bytes. I have tried many ways to delete this, but nothing works. Here are just two of the many things I've tried: http://support.mic...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Cant open Exchange System Manager and backups are failing
I'm running SBS 2003 with exchange. Everything has been running great up until a few days ago. All of the sudden veritas backupexec started failing with the log saying it is unable to attach to exchange, and I am now unable to open exchange system manager. When I try to open system manager it immediatly throws an erorr dialog "Exchange System Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close". I've tried resetting the server. I've tried removing the exchange system manager component and reinstalling it. When i do that I am able to run it once after install, but after t...

Access

How to remove the Outlook 2003 system tray icon
Hi, Somebody please tell me that there is an option to remove the rather redundant icon Outlook 2003 places in the system tray area! I've been through the options many times but can't seem to find any way of getting rid of it. Thanks muchly Paul You can't get rid of it. You can however hide it. Just right click the Task Bar. Choose Properties. Choose Customize. You can set the Outlook Icon to always hide (in Windows XP only). -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the new...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

[object Error] when trying to print
From one machine (mine, running Win XP SP2), I get an [object Error] when trying to print a report. I have never been prompted to install the ActiveX Crystal Viewer as has happened on other machines, even though I have reduced all of the security settings. Any thoughts on how this can be resolved? Thanks Leigh Try clicking on this link, to fix your Crystal printing problem:- http://crm/viewer/activexviewer/en/npviewer.exe Wait a few seconds, and you should get a prompt to install an ActiveX control. Select "Yes" or "OK" in response "Leigh Collett"...

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

How can i null out a field going through CRM Update object
I have a custom field that i want to set back to null. Any ideas how i can do this through the object.update function? thanks ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...