Big picture questions - cleanest method for creating an XML file

I am not accustomed to creating xml files programmatically.  The big picture
is this: This will be in VB/VS 2005/ winforms.  I have a DTD, a sample XML,
and an outside data source I will use to populate the XML.  In general I
think I know how to create elements and attributes and I'm sure I can hack
something together but I'm wondering if I'm missing (or forgetting) a better
way (other than a long line of hard-coded CreateElement commands).
Suggestions please.

-----

A related problem: the XML header, for lack of a better term.  If we assume
creation of an XmlDocument object from scratch, how do I add the header
elements?  I cannot find any discussion of this.  (Feel free to correct my
terminology.)

This is what I'm referring to -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE SOME TEXT "DTDName.dtd">
<?xml-stylesheet href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl" ?>

0
BChernick (20)

As to the header you shouldn't need to add it. It is created when the
document is serialised and isn't always needed, it depends on the encoding
used.
I agree that creating documents by dozens of CreateXXX statements is not
nice.
How changeable are the documents. I often start with a template, either a
string constant, in a resource file or an actual file and load this first.
Then I alter it as needed.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

B. Chernick wrote:
> I am not accustomed to creating xml files programmatically.  The big picture
> is this: This will be in VB/VS 2005/ winforms.  I have a DTD, a sample XML,
> and an outside data source I will use to populate the XML.  In general I
> think I know how to create elements and attributes and I'm sure I can hack
> something together but I'm wondering if I'm missing (or forgetting) a better
> way (other than a long line of hard-coded CreateElement commands).
> Suggestions please.

If you convert the DTD into a schema then you can use XML
serialization/deserialization:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/90c86ass(VS.80).aspx
You can use the xsd.exe tool to create .NET classes from the schema.

If you have relational data then you can also consider to populate a
DataSet and use its WriteXml method.

> This is what I'm referring to -
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

That is the XML declaration, it is created by the WriteStartDocument
method of XmlWriter
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writestartdocument.aspx
or using CreateXmlDeclaration
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createxmldeclaration.aspx
in the DOM model.

> <!DOCTYPE SOME TEXT "DTDName.dtd">

That is a document type declaration, created using WriteDocType
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writedoctype.aspx
of XmlWriter or using CreateDocumentType
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createdocumenttype.aspx
method of XmlDocument.

> <?xml-stylesheet href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl" ?>

That is a a processing instruction with the name 'xml-stylesheet' and
the data 'href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl"' so you create it using
WriteProcessingInstruction of XmlWriter
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writeprocessinginstruction.aspx
or using CreateProcessingInstruction
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createprocessinginstruction.aspx
of XmlDocument.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

This, so far as I know, is not a standard Dot Net situation. The purpose of
the program, if it ever gets written, is to extract data from an Excel
spreadsheet and plug it into a standalone XML file.   I'm afraid I've been
given very little of the big picture.  I think it eventually gets fed into
some mainframe system.

"Joe Fawcett" wrote:

> As to the header you shouldn't need to add it. It is created when the
> document is serialised and isn't always needed, it depends on the encoding
> used.
> I agree that creating documents by dozens of CreateXXX statements is not
> nice.
> How changeable are the documents. I often start with a template, either a
> string constant, in a resource file or an actual file and load this first.
> Then I alter it as needed.
>

> --
>
> Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
>
> http://joe.fawcett.name
>
> "B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not accustomed to creating xml files programmatically.  The big
> >picture
> > is this: This will be in VB/VS 2005/ winforms.  I have a DTD, a sample
> > XML,
> > and an outside data source I will use to populate the XML.  In general I
> > think I know how to create elements and attributes and I'm sure I can hack
> > something together but I'm wondering if I'm missing (or forgetting) a
> > better
> > way (other than a long line of hard-coded CreateElement commands).
> > Suggestions please.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > A related problem: the XML header, for lack of a better term.  If we
> > assume
> > creation of an XmlDocument object from scratch, how do I add the header
> > elements?  I cannot find any discussion of this.  (Feel free to correct my
> > terminology.)
> >
> > This is what I'm referring to -
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> > <!DOCTYPE SOME TEXT "DTDName.dtd">
> > <?xml-stylesheet href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl" ?>

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 12:45:02 PM
Thanks for your response.  I think you may have answered several other
questions I've been wondering about.  However in this particular situation, I
don't believe converting the DTD to an xsd is an option.  The output has to
go to some legacy system that I don't have control over (so far as I know).

(I would have to translate the DTD manually, right?  There's no wizard or
utility for such a conversion?   If I am not mistaken, DTDs obsolete and
there's little or no support for them in Dot Net?)

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
> > I am not accustomed to creating xml files programmatically.  The big picture
> > is this: This will be in VB/VS 2005/ winforms.  I have a DTD, a sample XML,
> > and an outside data source I will use to populate the XML.  In general I
> > think I know how to create elements and attributes and I'm sure I can hack
> > something together but I'm wondering if I'm missing (or forgetting) a better
> > way (other than a long line of hard-coded CreateElement commands).
> > Suggestions please.
>
> If you convert the DTD into a schema then you can use XML
> serialization/deserialization:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/90c86ass(VS.80).aspx
> You can use the xsd.exe tool to create .NET classes from the schema.
>
> If you have relational data then you can also consider to populate a
> DataSet and use its WriteXml method.
>
> > This is what I'm referring to -
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
>
> That is the XML declaration, it is created by the WriteStartDocument
> method of XmlWriter
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writestartdocument.aspx
> or using CreateXmlDeclaration
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createxmldeclaration.aspx
> in the DOM model.
>
> > <!DOCTYPE SOME TEXT "DTDName.dtd">
>
> That is a document type declaration, created using WriteDocType
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writedoctype.aspx
> of XmlWriter or using CreateDocumentType
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createdocumenttype.aspx
> method of XmlDocument.
>
> > <?xml-stylesheet href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl" ?>
>
> That is a a processing instruction with the name 'xml-stylesheet' and
> the data 'href="SampleXml.xslt" type="text/xsl"' so you create it using
> WriteProcessingInstruction of XmlWriter
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writeprocessinginstruction.aspx
> or using CreateProcessingInstruction
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.createprocessinginstruction.aspx
> of XmlDocument.
>

> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 12:50:00 PM
B. Chernick wrote:

> (I would have to translate the DTD manually, right?  There's no wizard or
> utility for such a conversion?   If I am not mistaken, DTDs obsolete and
> there's little or no support for them in Dot Net?)

There are tools like Xml editors
(http://www.stylusstudio.com/dtd/convert_dtd_to_schema.html) or Trang
(http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html) that can translate a
DTD to a W3C schema.

As for .NET, it has support for validating an XML document against a DTD
but besides that its API are pretty much focussed on W3C XML schemas.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
> As for .NET, it has support for validating an XML document against a DTD
> but besides that its API are pretty much focussed on W3C XML schemas.
Pretty much as I suspected.  Getting approval for 3rd party tools is
problematic as well, especially for adhoc projects. :-)

On an earlier point, the use of WriteDocType, I am ready to tear my hair
out.  I have this code and I cannot get it to work.  I keep getting the error
'The '' character, hexiadecimal value 0x20, cannot be included in a name.'
Frankly I'm out of my league here.  I cannot find any reference for the error
or WriteDocType that I can understand.  Here's my test code:

 Dim w As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("Out.xml")
 w.WriteStartDocument()
 w.WriteDocType("SOME TEXT", Nothing, Nothing, "DTDName.dtd")
 w.Close()

I've tried a number of variations on that including """DTDName.dtd""".  What
do I have to do to get this one simple line of xml out to the file?
<!DOCTYPE SOME TEXT "DTDName.dtd">

Thanks

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
>
> > (I would have to translate the DTD manually, right?  There's no wizard or
> > utility for such a conversion?   If I am not mistaken, DTDs obsolete and
> > there's little or no support for them in Dot Net?)
>
> There are tools like Xml editors
> (http://www.stylusstudio.com/dtd/convert_dtd_to_schema.html) or Trang
> (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html) that can translate a
> DTD to a W3C schema.
>
> As for .NET, it has support for validating an XML document against a DTD
> but besides that its API are pretty much focussed on W3C XML schemas.
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 2:30:02 PM
B. Chernick wrote:

>  Dim w As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("Out.xml")
>  w.WriteStartDocument()
>  w.WriteDocType("SOME TEXT", Nothing, Nothing, "DTDName.dtd")

Well the first argument is the root element name and an element name is
not allowed to contain a space so you need to decide which root element
name you want (e.g. "some-name" or "some_name") and write that out. You
can't use "SOME TEXT" as the space is not allowed.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

<!DOCTYPE BDD SYSTEM "EAI.dtd">

Are you saying that this violates XML standards in general?

(Actually I should explain that for some reason I was convinced that the
last parm of the line was the problem.  I didn't realize it was the first.
This works:         w.WriteDocType("BDD-SYSTEM", Nothing, Nothing, "EAI.dtd")

but results in <!DOCTYPE BDD-SYSTEM [EAI.dtd]>    Why the brackets and is
there any way to get rid of them?)

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
>
> >  Dim w As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("Out.xml")
> >  w.WriteStartDocument()
> >  w.WriteDocType("SOME TEXT", Nothing, Nothing, "DTDName.dtd")
>
> Well the first argument is the root element name and an element name is
> not allowed to contain a space so you need to decide which root element
> name you want (e.g. "some-name" or "some_name") and write that out. You
> can't use "SOME TEXT" as the space is not allowed.
>

> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 3:17:01 PM
B. Chernick wrote:
> The actual sample xml I was originally given has a line of:
>
> <!DOCTYPE BDD SYSTEM "EAI.dtd">
>
> Are you saying that this violates XML standards in general?

No, it does not. The "BDD" is the root element name and "EAI.dtd" is the
system identifier.

> (Actually I should explain that for some reason I was convinced that the
> last parm of the line was the problem.  I didn't realize it was the first.
> This works:         w.WriteDocType("BDD-SYSTEM", Nothing, Nothing, "EAI.dtd")
>
> but results in <!DOCTYPE BDD-SYSTEM [EAI.dtd]>    Why the brackets and is
> there any way to get rid of them?)

Use
   w.WriteDocType("BDD", Nothing, "EAI.dtd", Nothing)
to produce the line you posted above. The "SYSTEM" string will be
automatically added as you pass in a third argument string, the system
identifier.
See also the online documentation
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writedoctype.aspx
or your local MSDN copy which explains the four arguments.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
>I don't mean to be rude but I'm afraid I didn't understand much your reply.
Okay

> This, so far as I know, is not a standard Dot Net situation.
Seems like a perfectly normal scenario

The purpose of
> the program, if it ever gets written, is to extract data from an Excel
> spreadsheet and plug it into a standalone XML file.   I'm afraid I've been
> given very little of the big picture.  I think it eventually gets fed into
> some mainframe system.

You said you wanted a way to avoid creating the whole file by hand, the file
matches a known schema. So I suggested that start with an XML template that
matched the schema and then make alterations to it based on the external
data.

--

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)

http://joe.fawcett.name

Thanks for the help.  The call is finally doing what I need.  I don't see how
I could have ever gotten that from that documentation.

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
> > The actual sample xml I was originally given has a line of:
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE BDD SYSTEM "EAI.dtd">
> >
> > Are you saying that this violates XML standards in general?
>
> No, it does not. The "BDD" is the root element name and "EAI.dtd" is the
> system identifier.
>
> > (Actually I should explain that for some reason I was convinced that the
> > last parm of the line was the problem.  I didn't realize it was the first.
> > This works:         w.WriteDocType("BDD-SYSTEM", Nothing, Nothing, "EAI.dtd")
> >
> > but results in <!DOCTYPE BDD-SYSTEM [EAI.dtd]>    Why the brackets and is
> > there any way to get rid of them?)
>
> Use
>    w.WriteDocType("BDD", Nothing, "EAI.dtd", Nothing)
> to produce the line you posted above. The "SYSTEM" string will be
> automatically added as you pass in a third argument string, the system
> identifier.
> See also the online documentation
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlwriter.writedoctype.aspx
> or your local MSDN copy which explains the four arguments.
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 4:39:02 PM
"So I suggested that start with an XML template that matched the schema and
then make alterations to it based on the external data."

Thanks but once again, I have no idea what you just said.  I have no idea
what an XML Template is either or how to use it, and the only reference I can
find in Help has something to do with SQL Server.  Is there an actual demo
you can point me to that illustrates your suggestion?  Perhaps this is purely
a matter of terminology.

(Unfortunately my job requires me to bounce between many different
technologies and XML is one that I have not had the time or need to focus on
for long.)

Thanks.

"Joe Fawcett" wrote:

> "B. Chernick" <BChernick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't mean to be rude but I'm afraid I didn't understand much your reply.
> Okay
> >
> > This, so far as I know, is not a standard Dot Net situation.
> Seems like a perfectly normal scenario
>
> The purpose of
> > the program, if it ever gets written, is to extract data from an Excel
> > spreadsheet and plug it into a standalone XML file.   I'm afraid I've been
> > given very little of the big picture.  I think it eventually gets fed into
> > some mainframe system.
> >

> You said you wanted a way to avoid creating the whole file by hand, the file
> matches a known schema. So I suggested that start with an XML template that
> matched the schema and then make alterations to it based on the external
> data.
>

> --
>
> Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)
>
> http://joe.fawcett.name

0
BChernick (20)
7/1/2008 5:36:05 PM
B. Chernick wrote:
> "So I suggested that start with an XML template that matched the schema and
> then make alterations to it based on the external data."
>
> Thanks but once again, I have no idea what you just said.  I have no idea
> what an XML Template is either or how to use it, and the only reference I can
> find in Help has something to do with SQL Server.  Is there an actual demo
> you can point me to that illustrates your suggestion?  Perhaps this is purely
> a matter of terminology.

Imagine you need to create XHTML documents, instead of starting from
scratch and each time creating the html element, the head element, the
body element you could simply create an XHTML document already
containing the html, the head, and the body element and use that as a
"template", meaning you would use System.Xml.XmlDocument and load that
"template" document and then use the DOM to manipulate it as needed
(e.g. add the title, add headings, add paragraphs) and save as needed.

That is all what Joe tried to suggest, at least if I understand him
correctly. So the XML "template" is nothing but an XML file with the
structure you need for all your XML documents you want to create.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

(I use bits and pieces of XML technology as needed and I try to learn new
things but I feel there is some central concept I have yet to discover, let
alone master.  Business as usual.)

As long as we are on the subject of 'templates', refresh my memory.   If I
am creating a VS2005 VB Winforms project, it is possible to include an
existing XML file as a file of the project.  However I see no simple to
access it programmatically.  Am I forgetting something?

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
> > "So I suggested that start with an XML template that matched the schema and
> > then make alterations to it based on the external data."
> >
> > Thanks but once again, I have no idea what you just said.  I have no idea
> > what an XML Template is either or how to use it, and the only reference I can
> > find in Help has something to do with SQL Server.  Is there an actual demo
> > you can point me to that illustrates your suggestion?  Perhaps this is purely
> > a matter of terminology.
>
> Imagine you need to create XHTML documents, instead of starting from
> scratch and each time creating the html element, the head element, the
> body element you could simply create an XHTML document already
> containing the html, the head, and the body element and use that as a
> "template", meaning you would use System.Xml.XmlDocument and load that
> "template" document and then use the DOM to manipulate it as needed
> (e.g. add the title, add headings, add paragraphs) and save as needed.
>
> That is all what Joe tried to suggest, at least if I understand him
> correctly. So the XML "template" is nothing but an XML file with the
> structure you need for all your XML documents you want to create.
>

> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)
7/2/2008 1:13:02 PM
B. Chernick wrote:
> Ok.  Now I think I see.  In a manner of speaking, I've already done that.
> It's easy enough to load an existing file.  You mean load the doc and search
> for the various elements in order to change their values?

Yes, or add additional child elements (as in my XHTML example).

> As long as we are on the subject of 'templates', refresh my memory.   If I
> am creating a VS2005 VB Winforms project, it is possible to include an
> existing XML file as a file of the project.  However I see no simple to
> access it programmatically.  Am I forgetting something?

Well whether the XML file is part of the project or not, the APIs to
access it programmatically are e.g. XmlReader, XPathDocument,
XmlDocument, XmlSerializer and others.
Or are you talking about adding the XML to an assembly as a resource and
want to read out the resource?

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever added an XML file as a resource.
I'm going to have to try that.

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> B. Chernick wrote:
> > Ok.  Now I think I see.  In a manner of speaking, I've already done that.
> > It's easy enough to load an existing file.  You mean load the doc and search
> > for the various elements in order to change their values?
>
> Yes, or add additional child elements (as in my XHTML example).
>
> > As long as we are on the subject of 'templates', refresh my memory.   If I
> > am creating a VS2005 VB Winforms project, it is possible to include an
> > existing XML file as a file of the project.  However I see no simple to
> > access it programmatically.  Am I forgetting something?
>
> Well whether the XML file is part of the project or not, the APIs to
> access it programmatically are e.g. XmlReader, XPathDocument,
> XmlDocument, XmlSerializer and others.
> Or are you talking about adding the XML to an assembly as a resource and
> want to read out the resource?
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
BChernick (20)

IMF Updates and custom scoring via MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml
Regarding the new IMF update process (KB907747), Just so I understand my role here or maybe someone has a different interpretation of the KB article or (better yet) a workaround. The notes would seem to indicate that with every update I need to copy my MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml file into the newly created folder of ..\bin\MSCFv2\<IMF update version> for my custom keywords to be integrated into the IFM scoring process. No registry setting I can just create and have my .xml file exist in one location and have all updates use it? Thanks Don It indicates you need to copy it to t...

Changes are not saved on files
Hi, Sometimes when files are closed after beeing saved and then the user open this file, the last changes are not present (like user didn't save it). This happens on netwerk drive but also on local drive. We have also an antivirus but the searches on the antivirus support don't give anything. We experience that on windows2000 machines with OfficeXP and with WindowsXP machines with office2003. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks I would suspect that the user isn't opening the file that he/she saved. This used to happen a lot with people who would open email attachments, make changes...

Big problem with VPN
Hello. I'm having a ****in' big problem with a VPN. This is my scenario: I have a Windows Server 2003, with DNS,DHCP,AD and ISA Server running. This server has 3 network cards: Internal Network: 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 (DNS/DHCP) Internet: 192.168.254.254 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.254.1 (This card is connected to a SpeedStream 5200 (router mode, not bridge)). Dedicated Link: 189.80.x.x / 255.255.255.252 / 189.80.x.x Here goes the problem: I made a VPN using ISA Server. The VPN connected sucessfully, but i wasn't able to see any server file, also i co...

need HELP removing box with question mark PLEASE
Hi. I exported a list of contacts from microsoft outlook as a .csv file. In the notes section of the outlook file I have items that are separated with a carriage return which then has notes on the next line and next line and so on. Well when viewing the data in excel, those carriage returns show up as a box with a question mark. Well I was going to use the "text to columns" command, but that won't work with that pesky box with a question mark inside. So unless someone has another idea, I need to replace that thing with a comma, so then I can separate those lines into individ...

Picture frame box
Hi there, I've just upgraded to publisher 2007 and i'm having trouble getting to grips with it, the main problem being the lack of quick and easy way of adjusting the frame around a picture. On publisher 2000 i'm sure there was a button you clicked and the frame shrunk down to the size of the image. The only way i've found of doing this is on 07 is by manually changing the frame by editing the wrap points. This is very time consuming when you have a lot of pictures to change. Oh wise oracle please show me the error of my ways. Thanks in advance Paul wrote: > Hi the...

Exchange 2007 Beta 2 question
Hi I have the mailbox, CA, hub and UM on one server. I am trying to create a new email life cycle policy, but the option to do this cannot be found. I right click on the mailbox icon in EMC under "organization" but the option is not listed. The only listed options are. Also the tab in ESM for this is not there New address list New managed custom folder new managed fodler mailbox policy new offline address list On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:58:02 -0700, skip <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I have the mailbox, CA, hub and UM on one server. I am trying to...

question re: read icon
When I open my inbox in the morning the read icon appears beside each message. Throughout the day as I retrieve mail, some of the messages will have the read icon and some of them will have the unopened icon. Why do some of the messages appear to have been read if I have never opened them or even clicked on them? Thanx in advance for your help ...

How to solve this question?
Hello all: I write a component using ATL and it includes two interface:ISMath and IAMath, and now I write client codes and want to the file tlb,Look: #import "Com_01.tlb" no_namespace #include <windows.h> #include <iostream.h> void main() { HRESULT hr; hr=CoInitialize(NULL); if(FAILED(hr)) { cout<<"Initialize COM failed"<<endl; return; } ISMathPtr spSFun; IAMathPtr spAFun; spSFun.CreateInstance(L"Com_01.SMath"); long s=spSFun->Add(11,12); cout<<s<<endl; spSFun.QueryInterface(II...

PDF files
I am using Office 2001 on and iMac with os9.2. Can anyone tell me how save/covert a word document to a pdf file? Thanks-T-nix Tom Shadonix <musicoffice@rew2000.com> wrote: > I am using Office 2001 on and iMac with os9.2. Can anyone tell me how > save/covert a word document to a pdf file? Thanks-T-nix Under MacOS 9, you'll need to get Adobe Acrobat (the full version). There is no native way to "print to PDF" from MacOS 9. Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.c...

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

How to create a simple url to access an intranet
Hello Community A url consisting of a long computer name, a port number, the path and then the name of the web page is used to access an intranet. That is alot for a user to type into an address bar and the user won't really know what all of that text stands for. So the question is how can a simple url be created for a user to type into the address bar to access the main page on an intranet? Thanks Jeff -- JB "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1701216D-9C1D-462A-A162-A12192C79503@microsoft.com... &...

Contact Picture
We have a client that wants to attach a picture of the contact to their contact record. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? Cindy; If by 'attach' you literally mean you want to attach a jpg or image file, you can create a note on the contact record called "picture" and attached file to the note. But if what you want is for the contact's picture to be displayed when you open a contact record, then the easiest thing to do might be to create an iFrame that calls a URL that displays the image. if you have sharepoint you could store the image there...

Deleted OExpress
Deleted Outlk Express because I also recd Outlook 2002 as part of pkg Upgrade. OE remains in Registry in (at least) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft. Can I delete or is there any "Sharing" between OE and Outlook? There is sharing between the two, so you may want to reinstall Outlook Express to make sure everything is in place. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287686&Product=ol2002 for more information. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to prese...

Cannot open files.
I am having trouble opening files after saving them. I keep getting the message "cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Details says "Unspecified error" followed with the location in the "document.xml" file. ...

Removing OLD images from Pictures directory
Is there any way to automatically remove images from the pictures directory for all inactive items? I have a bazillion images in that directory from really old inactive items that we are never going to restock....discontinued items, etc. There is absolutely no way we can do this manually. Too much manpower. like if inactive date was over a year ago, then delete image? I haven't been able to find any posts about this. Surely this is a problem for others? help? Mickie create your list with a SQL statement like this: select picturename from item where inactive=1 and picturename<...

Creating New Infrastructure
Respected EveryOne In my office we have a Primary Server (192.168.0.52) as a Active Directory server.A secondary server for stand by(192.168.0.198).We have internal Exchange mail server (192.168.0.53).And a ISA 2004 server is for Edge Firewall(192.168.0.199).There are some application servers and 150 client computer in our office. Now what is my questions are follows 1.We are going to open three brange offices in different locations which are each contain atleast 50 clients.If that we need to connect this diffent offices client computers to our main office Server for Active dire...

Why won't my inserted pictures show up on the screen?
None of my lines or pictures show up on the screen when working with Publisher. They print out just fine, but it's hard to create a decent document if you can't see the border lines or pictures! Read the third FAQ here Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jkcenterprises" <jkcenterprises@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B2AA14-6777-46C6-891B-A929D1F761B5@microsoft...

Problem opening Txt file in excel 2007
Hi there, We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 2003, but since upgrade to excel 2007 when we right click and try to open the txt file with excel 2007 it always opens it in Notepad... Even when we specifically choose Excel to open it with, it still opens it with notepad.. Does anyone know an easy fix for this by any chance?? Cheers! Open Excel, then Office button, Open, and get your txt file from there. T. Smith wrote: > Hi there, > > We are trying to open .txt documents in excel like we used to in excel 2003, > but since upgrade to...

Alter a picture
Is it possible to ungroup an imported picture and make changes to it? I have a picture of a maple leaf and I would like to keep just the outline. Using Pub 2003, Windows XP Vanilla On 02 May 2004 12:41, "Vanilla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to ungroup an imported picture and make changes to it? I >have a picture of a maple leaf and I would like to keep just the >outline. Using Pub 2003, Windows XP. >Vanilla Depends on the picture format. What format is the picture in? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/...

can't open file by double click
Cant open Excel file any more by bouble click on icon Excel program opens but file does not... Tried to reinstall Excell...same result Any one can help ? Mike Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. Mike Morn wrote: > > Cant open Excel file any more by bouble click on icon > Excel program opens but file doe...

Questions re Linksys Extender
I have a Linksys DMA2100, which I=92ve set up to drive a TV through a wireless connection to my Windows 7 computer. I'm running Windows Media Center exclusively to play WMP ripped CD tracks on my computer. Now here come two probably hopelessly na=EFve questions. 1. Can I use the Extender to drive a set of external speakers, instead of the TV? The TV is in a far-off room, and the speakers would be much closer. I'm hoping I could just connect the speakers to the Audio outputs of the Extender, and then select the tracks to play from my computer, since the Extender=92s remote ...

Quick Question on Categories
An anally organized person just realized this question... ;-) Maybe someone can help me out with your solution to the problem? I'd think that going to /see/ movies is considered different from buying them on video. So, when I go see a movie, is it considered Movies & Video, or on Cultural Events? Seeing a movie is questionable as a cultural event... Thanks, Kenneth "Kenneth Pardue" <kennethNOSPAM@pardue.com> wrote in message news:vnprkfirgng4de@corp.supernews.com... > An anally organized person just realized this question... ;-) > > Maybe someone can he...

Creating a "flip" booklet by rotating every other page (how to?)
I have a twelve page publisher project. I want to print it in booklet form. I want to make it a "flip" booklet. Read front to back and it's English (six pages) and then flip the booklet and read back to front (six pages) and it's Spanish. I know how to do this the "old fashioned" way: Booklet style, 11"x17" paper, etc. I want to do it Kent's way. OK, so have twelve pages, one through twelve. Pages 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 are in English. Pages 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 are identical but in Spanish. In my .pub file I want to rotate (180 degrees) the Spanish pa...

Outlook//OE question
Is there anyway to access the contacts list froma pooched outlook install and import into Outlook express?? I know you can export from outlook first to a comma seperated file and then import that, but is there anyone to get the contacts/address book list from Outlook (2003) into Outlook express if outlook can't be opened properly?? Thanks No. The only way to transport Contact information from Outlook to OE is to export to a format that OE can import. These two programs have nothing to do with each other and no integration whatsoever. Why Microsoft gave them the same name no one ca...

Item picture sizing
I am working on getting images of each of my products loaded. is there an optimal size for each picture? I'd like to get to the point where each image is roughly the same dimensions with the best clarity. ...