Beginner of XML

I am a beginner of XML.
I want to group some files together with a xml file. (it includes a text
file, and an image file and a video file)

Can someone show me some guidelines?
Please help.
0
Questions (9)

Is there help for beginners?
I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft Outlook came with it. I cannot figure out how to use it! I can get email, but I cannot send it! It stays in the Outbox forever, and when I try to send it from there, I'm told it's not possible. Aren't there any beginner tutorials I can look at? I really could use some help! Thanks! -- drexlori In news:A1E6C03C-FCA4-4125-B97A-B4515798D670@microsoft.com, drexlori <drexlori@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft > Outlook came with it. I cannot...

XML AND apostrophe
Hi, I need to make some search in a XML file to get element and/or attributes of element from my ASP.NET web application (in C#) My problem is that the value that I search can have an a postrophe and that could generate an error. Here a sempliefied code: XmlDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); xmlDoc.Load(XML_FILENAME); XmlNode node = xmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/REGGROUPS/CLIENT/REGPATCH/COMMENT[.='"+strComment+"']"); The variable strComment can contain an apostrophe and that generates an error. How can I avoid that? Please help me, thank you. Siu wrote: ...

Exceptions XML Serialization
Hello, We're developing a Windows Forms application and we are logging every runtime exception to a file. To do this we serialize the exception in XML using SoapFormatter. To look at these exception it would be great to have something like the "View Detail..." option on the exception dialog in VS2005. It shows a tree with every property and value. Is there any easy way to build a tree like this directly from a class or serialized class, or do we have to iterate through each property adding new nodes to the tree? Thanks for your attention. Regards, paulo Hi Paulo, A tree...

XML Support in Whidbey
Gurus, I was wondering if there is some new method to read XML in VS 2005 using C#. Right now I am loading the xml in XMLDocument and looping through the xml node, is there a better way in Whidbey to achieve the same and the following. 1. Fast loading of XML from file. 2. Reading each node with Attributes if any. 3. Adding/Modifying any nodes. Thanks for the help, Shailendra batham wrote: > I was wondering if there is some new method to read XML in VS 2005 > using C#. > > Right now I am loading the xml in XMLDocument and looping through the > xml node, is there a better ...

How do I parse an XML file
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C69A10.8C752700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The XML file looks something like this... --- Start XML --- <?xml version=3D"1.0" ?> <VULNERABILITIES> <PROGRAM_VERSION>0.0.1</PROGRAM_VERSION> <CONTROL_VERSION>0.0.1</CONTROL_VERSION> <VULNERABILITY> <V_SHORT_NAME>SOMETHING</V_SHORT_NAME> <V_LONG_NAME>SOMETHING</V_LONG_NAME> <V_DISCUSSION&...

Using XmlValidatingReader to validate XML Schema
The XmlValidatingReader seems to have changed drastically in .Net Frameworks 1.0 SP3 and beyond with regards to validating XML files that are XML Schemas. Consider the following code: --- class ValidatingSchema { [STAThread] static void Main(string[] args) { string xmlData = @"<xs:schema mlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' > <xs:element name='root' /> <xs:cement id='foo'/> </xs:schema>"; XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader(new StringReader(xmlData)); XmlValidatingReader vreader = new XmlValidatingReader(reader);...

Help for a Beginner Among Beginners
Hello, would anyone kindly point me in the general direction of a solution to a very basic database question (I'm not even sure where to ask)? I have a small consulting company of a dozen employees, with no IT dept. We have info from approx 1000 clients stored in an Access 2000 database which is 10MB in size. A former employee made a simple form, which we populate with client info, and we just add records. The file is on a file server, and all 12 of us access it simultaneously. Recently, I hired a guy to setup a VPN, so that employees can add data to the database while on the road. Howeve...

Creating XML DataSet from scratch
How do create a dataset from scratch based on an XML schema. This will not be filled by a dataadapter. It will be a dataset which I add rows to and then save as an XML file. All the example depend on filling the dataset. I have also tried creating it from the XML schema but I am having problems manipulating it. If someone could point me to some resources, that would be great as I can't find anything. namespace Ionic.Demo { public class DataSetCreator { public static void Main(string[] args) { try { DataSetCreator me= new DataSetCreator(); me.CreateDataSetA...

XML Config File
I have about thirteen configuration files that are written in XML. I need to be able to read and cross reference these files with each other. I have already written an xsl translator but due to the large size of the file it is very slow. I have also been unable to access some of the relationships contained in the document when using xsl. What would be the easiest way to do this using visual C#? Below is a brief sample from one of the files. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <vpmapp> - <conditionObjects> <vpm-cat /> <dny-...

Earn $200 per day without a website
Tired of wasting your time & hard earned money on "intelligent" programs which promise to make you rich overnight? Then read on, because I am going to show you............. How I made over $2000 in just 10 days using a ridiculously stupid technique I stole from my own affiliate Click the following link to see the entire procedure explained step-by- step. http://www.showroute.com/odp I Got MY Own ATM. J http://www.showroute.com/odp Wilson. ...

Filter XML using XPath
Hello, The following XML file shows an example of some config data for a Side Button Bar control. There are two forms this Button Bar control relates to, "frmMainMenu" and "Listing". <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?> - <productx> - <Table Name="Group1"> <value>ABCDEG</value> <Parent>MainMenuButtonBar</Parent> <Menu>NO</Menu> <Form Name="frmMainMenu" /> </Table> - <Table Name="Group1"> <value>ABCDEFG</value> <...

Binding DataList to XML
Hi, I'm trying to bind a datalist to an XML file to create a menu bar of sorts. The XML file contains a list of menu items grouped into two main topic areas see below: <TOPICLIST TYPE="MenuItems"> <TOPICS TYPE="Type1"> <TOPIC> <TITLE>Menu 1</TITLE> <URL>somewhere.aspx</URL> </TOPIC> <TOPIC> <TITLE>Menu 2</TITLE> <URL>somewhere.aspx</URL> </TOPIC> <TOPIC> <TITLE>Menu 3</TITLE> <URL>somewhere.aspx</URL> </TOPIC> </TOP...

How to do XML parsing?
I need to know how to set up XML parsing. In the past, I've always written my own parsing routines but this time I'd like to use Microsoft's own DOM helper classes but looking at MSDN has left me more confused than ever. Could one of you wizards be so good as to explain in words of one syllable or less how 1) Microsoft's XML DOM helpers work 2) How to include in a project 3) How to use ---------- Richard Lewis Haggard would these help? http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/misc/misc/article.php/c3707/ http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/data/data-misc/xml/article.php/c4585/ http://www...

XML Validation #5
I'm validating an XML document against an XSD schema using the code shown below. Everything works good, but I'm trying to find a way to grab the node\attribute value that threw the error. Ideally if I could get the attribute name and value that would be all I need. In addition to what is shown below I've tried catching XmlSchemaValidationException, but it still didn't have what I needed. If anyone has an example or idea on how to do this I would really appreciate the help. Thanks. === XML === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <annu...

new line in innerText not preserving when xml is opend in Excel
Hi All, I need to set innerText of a cell element like "line1\nline2" in XML. When I open the xml file in Excel new line in that cell is missing. When I insert new line in cell in Excel using ALT + ENTER and save it is creating innerText "line1&#10;line2".When I tried to set same value to innerText in XML from code, it is converting to "line1\nline2".So I am unable to get the correct cell information when I open in Excel. Please help me, how to set new line in the middle of innerText sothat I can see the line when I open in Excel. Thanks in advance. Supr...

Excel 2003-Beginner
I'm using Excel 2003. Sorry, I'm if not explaining this well. I'm trying to put information in a column that comes from another worksheet in the same book but it depends on what is entered in 2 other columns in the first worksheet. I'll try to give complete info: Let's say Column A asks you to pick 1 of 5 gems: Agate, Turquoise, Garnet, Diamond, Pearl Let's say Column B asks you to pick 1 of 6 Countries: US, Can, UK, China, Japan, Germany The other worksheet has a table with data (its a number in each cell) representing all the possible permutatio...

XML reader issues....
I have a XML document (not of my making) which starts like that: ========== <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> ......................... ========== I read it with code such as: Stream s = ..... using(XmlTextReader xtr = new XmlTextReader(s)) { xtr.MoveToContent(); // <<== problem here xr.Read(); ..... } The problem that I have is, if the user's computer ...

Beginner Here!
Hello, I'm looking for decent internet resources to learn how to use Great Plains software. I'm a VB developer starting a new job with a company that uses GP, but I've never used it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason Jason, Your best bet is to read through the manuals that come on the Great Plains cd. Then log into the sample company and try each transaction type, report option etc. It's just sample data so you can't hurt anything. This hands on approach is the best way to learn the system. We provide personlized one on one training via r...

Xml shredding performance
Hi, we are having some performance issues regarding xml shredding. At this point we are extracting data from xmls from nearly 60 different companies - and therefore 60 different xml structures. The total amount of xml is about 350MB and we are trying to extract the data as fast as possible. Our current system extracts, transforms and loads the data in about five minutes. We would however like to do this in about one minute to be pleased. We use the "nodes/cross apply"-technique to shred the xmls into our internal format. This is how we shred the data. ------...

XPath beginners question
I have limited experience of XML and I am trying to use XPath to get at all <tag4> elements given a certain value for <tag3> (see my example below : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <tag1> <tag2> <tag3> <tag4> <tag4> <tag4> </tag2> <tag2> <tag3> <tag4> <tag4> </tag2> </tag1> Any assistance would be really appreciated. Cheers, Mike *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENE...

Xml Dom .net bug???
given a snippet from an XML message .... <DATA name="John" value="23" /> <DATA name="Betty" value="71" /> <DATA name="Craig" value="" /> <DATA name="Lisa" value="42" /> .... I load this into the Xml Dom in .Net (VB), and query each node for the 'name' and 'value' attributes. When I get to an instance where the attribute is empty (as in the case where name=Craig), Attributes("value").Value.ToString returns null? Surely this should return "" on...

Question about output XML stream containing several XML instance documents
Hi, I am writing an application which takes an XML input stream. Can the XML input stream contain 1 or more XML document information? If so, I can write to an XML output stream and return multiple XML document information back? Am I correct to assume this? Is there some consideration to look at first? Thanks, CR * aboutjav.com@gmail.com wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >I am writing an application which takes an XML input stream. Can the >XML input stream contain 1 or more XML document information? If so, I >can write to an XML output stream and return multiple XML documen...

Export the Data to .txt file using XML in vb.net?
hieee there, I am in big trouble. I want to export data from Dataset or Datagrid to .txt file using XML in VB.NET and I want to do it Manually but I don't have any ideas because I am new To XML. Please help me and Reply me Soon. Thank you in Advance. -------------------------------- From: Hari Patel ----------------------- Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotnet247.com/) <Id>WLGv4s1atUa6gMUQisKPnw==</Id> On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:32:45 -0700, hari patel via .NET 247 <anonymous@dotnet247.com> wrote: >hieee there, > >I am in big trouble. I want to expo...

XML and quote

Beginners question
I do not understand the following. Please try it and you will see what I mean. I create a brand new project starting on Mon 31/11/2009. I do not change any default settings. I create a task called "Project" and create 2 subtasks both with a duration of 5 days and link them. Why does the second task start on Fri 04/12/2009? And not on the Mon 07/12/2009? Task 1 starts on Mon and finishes on Fri. But Task 2 starts on Fri and finishes on Fri. ???..... I really don't understand how this can be right --- or helpful! If I create a further 2 tasks, again with 5 d...